+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

**NOVEMBER 2016 - OUTLAND SPOUSAL APPLICANTS**

U.S.Eh?

Nov 3, 2016
Staunts,
We had made two copies by default and as we were assembling we realized that the applicant checklist is essentially doubled-up on the sponsor app checklist too.
We had what we deemed "bonus proof/material" that we only put into my (applicant) pack. His packet got a full timeline, full photo timeline, and all the ticket copies etc.

The only question we had was this his packet asked for the original of the FBI clearance (I'm American) and so did my packet. The FBI only sends one original. We put a photocopy in his and made a note that the original is in my packet.

We put it in the mail today! And I'm leaving for work in the States tomorrow - so now begins carrying all the paperwork with me... and the eternal wait for further information.

Londo

Sep 10, 2014
Category........
Visa Office......
London
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
03-11-2016
AOR Received.
10-11-2016
File Transfer...
23/11/2016
Med's Done....
Oct 2016
Staunts2015 said:
Hi everyone! I will be sending my packet out next weekend, and can't be more excited! (Just waiting to go to my medical exam). I just went through the visa process to bring my (Canadian) husband here, and now we've decided to settle down in Canada, so we have to go through another long, gut-wrenching process. I have so many questions about the process, most of which I've found in other forums, but one that's been on my mind lately. I am a US citizen, so I can go to Canada as a visitor for 6 months. I'm wondering if I could move to Canada prior to receiving Permanent Residency. I learned through my husband's USA PR process that it is illegal for someone to enter the US with the intention of moving there, if you haven't notified Customs and Border Patrol. Is the same true in Canada? Last I checked, the process takes 14 months for a US citizen outland spousal applicant to gain Permanent Residency. So what I'm asking is, could I move to Canada in 8 months (or earlier, perhaps)?
Hi

Yes you are totally allowed to do that and its legal. Thats what my wife done, we are both British nationals I have got a PR and she moved here on a visitors status as British citizens are allowed to stay in Canada visa free for six. We told them at the border that she was coming to visit Canada to stay with me for six months with the intention of applying for PR and they were fine with that.

They may want to make sure you have enough money to look after yourself for that length of time though as you wont be allowed to work till you get your PR. Also once u get your first AOR you will be allowed to extend your stay longer than 6 months up so you get another 6 months. U can move now if u really want as long as you prepared not to work till u get PR.

Londo

Sep 10, 2014
Category........
Visa Office......
London
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
03-11-2016
AOR Received.
10-11-2016
File Transfer...
23/11/2016
Med's Done....
Oct 2016
U.S.Eh? said:
About to courier my app to Mississauga at lunch today!

I've spent the last 3 months getting clearance and medical done ahead of time. We paid all of the fees, including the Right to Land fee, upfront. I've spent the last 7 days gathering and creating various forms of timelines with proof and then creating a master timeline with reference points where the officer can find the proof. My sponsee packet is 407 pages in total. My sponsors packet is 257 pages in total. Each form and section of "proof of relationship" is nearly marked with a tab. We created tables of contents for even easier reference . We have been together a little over two years and I've been in Canada full time on a visitor visa over the last year.

I am still worried. I just want to live with my spouse and step son.
This whole entire process is beyond anxiety-inducing and stressful. :/

Hi Congrats,

Your package looks very formidable dont worry am sure your application will be successful as you have gone above and beyond. You have actually got me worried now as we dont have anywhere near the amount of pages you sent with your application even though we have been married for 7 years and have two kids together. I didn't count but at best we sent 250 to 300 pages in total as a friend of mine had a similar package size to mine and was approved in 4 months so fingers crossed. Goodluck with you application and I pray we will all be approved

Londo

Sep 10, 2014
Category........
Visa Office......
London
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
03-11-2016
AOR Received.
10-11-2016
File Transfer...
23/11/2016
Med's Done....
Oct 2016
U.S.Eh? said:
About to courier my app to Mississauga at lunch today!

I've spent the last 3 months getting clearance and medical done ahead of time. We paid all of the fees, including the Right to Land fee, upfront. I've spent the last 7 days gathering and creating various forms of timelines with proof and then creating a master timeline with reference points where the officer can find the proof. My sponsee packet is 407 pages in total. My sponsors packet is 257 pages in total. Each form and section of "proof of relationship" is nearly marked with a tab. We created tables of contents for even easier reference . We have been together a little over two years and I've been in Canada full time on a visitor visa over the last year.

I am still worried. I just want to live with my spouse and step son.
This whole entire process is beyond anxiety-inducing and stressful. :/

(I was going to post photos of the packets, but I can't figure out how to add photos...)
Hi Congrats,

Your package looks very formidable dont worry am sure your application will be successful as you have gone above and beyond. You have actually got me worried now as we dont have anywhere near the amount of pages you sent with your application even though we have been married for 7 years and have two kids together. I didn't count but at best we sent 250 to 300 pages in total as a friend of mine had a similar package size to mine and was approved in 4 months so fingers crossed. Goodluck with you application and I pray we will all be approved

mcharade

Star Member
May 9, 2016
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
16-09-2016
AOR Received.
14-10-2016
File Transfer...
24-10-2016
Med's Request
Upfront
Med's Done....
Aug. 2016
Staunts2015 said:
Hi everyone! I will be sending my packet out next weekend, and can't be more excited! (Just waiting to go to my medical exam). I just went through the visa process to bring my (Canadian) husband here, and now we've decided to settle down in Canada, so we have to go through another long, gut-wrenching process. I have so many questions about the process, most of which I've found in other forums, but one that's been on my mind lately. I am a US citizen, so I can go to Canada as a visitor for 6 months. I'm wondering if I could move to Canada prior to receiving Permanent Residency. I learned through my husband's USA PR process that it is illegal for someone to enter the US with the intention of moving there, if you haven't notified Customs and Border Patrol. Is the same true in Canada? Last I checked, the process takes 14 months for a US citizen outland spousal applicant to gain Permanent Residency. So what I'm asking is, could I move to Canada in 8 months (or earlier, perhaps)?
You can certainly go "visit" for your wait. However, you must NOT tell border control you are planning to "live" in Canada. It's illegal to live in Canada without having your PR (same as US). Basically, you have to play a game where you pretend you are just visiting. You should not bring all of your clothes, etc with you either. If border control thinks you are going to live in Canada they can and will turn you away. They also have the right to ban you from Canada at that point. You will still need to bring proof such as an apartment lease, a letter from a US employer saying you'll be back at work on a specific date, car insurance, a return ticket or anything else that can prove you will leave Canada after your visit. I was denied entry into Canada at the land border because I did not have that sort of proof. However, I was not even questioned when flying into Canada. If you're going through a land crossing, you should be prepared to be questioned and you should have your proof on hand. It'll help if you also show you've already applied or will soon apply for PR.

ShadowSeraph

Oct 10, 2016
mcharade said:
You can certainly go "visit" for your wait. However, you must NOT tell border control you are planning to "live" in Canada. It's illegal to live in Canada without having your PR (same as US). Basically, you have to play a game where you pretend you are just visiting. You should not bring all of your clothes, etc with you either. If border control thinks you are going to live in Canada they can and will turn you away. They also have the right to ban you from Canada at that point. You will still need to bring proof such as an apartment lease, a letter from a US employer saying you'll be back at work on a specific date, car insurance, a return ticket or anything else that can prove you will leave Canada after your visit. I was denied entry into Canada at the land border because I did not have that sort of proof. However, I was not even questioned when flying into Canada. If you're going through a land crossing, you should be prepared to be questioned and you should have your proof on hand. It'll help if you also show you've already applied or will soon apply for PR.
My mother and I are planning to bring my partner up for one of these "visits" with his cat and his belongings (stuff that he doesn't actually need in the US for the day-to-day like books, etc, with the intent to store it at my place until the official move) now that our application has been submitted.

I went through an unfortunate incident a few years ago with a different boyfriend where he was going to be visiting for three+ months but had been unemployed and immigration at the border deemed him a flight risk and he wasn't allowed to visit. Super humiliating. Anyway, they told him that if he had a letter from his host stating that they were providing his lodging and other requirements and would guarantee his return to the US at the end of his visit, he would have been allowed to stay. Would a letter of this nature - notarized or witness by a commissioner for oaths - suffice to stave off rejection? We're driving him up to Ontario all the way from North Carolina so we want to find a way to ensure he's allowed in as a visitor. Advice?

mcharade

Star Member
May 9, 2016
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
16-09-2016
AOR Received.
14-10-2016
File Transfer...
24-10-2016
Med's Request
Upfront
Med's Done....
Aug. 2016
ShadowSeraph said:
My mother and I are planning to bring my partner up for one of these "visits" with his cat and his belongings (stuff that he doesn't actually need in the US for the day-to-day like books, etc, with the intent to store it at my place until the official move) now that our application has been submitted.

I went through an unfortunate incident a few years ago with a different boyfriend where he was going to be visiting for three+ months but had been unemployed and immigration at the border deemed him a flight risk and he wasn't allowed to visit. Super humiliating. Anyway, they told him that if he had a letter from his host stating that they were providing his lodging and other requirements and would guarantee his return to the US at the end of his visit, he would have been allowed to stay. Would a letter of this nature - notarized or witness by a commissioner for oaths - suffice to stave off rejection? We're driving him up to Ontario all the way from North Carolina so we want to find a way to ensure he's allowed in as a visitor. Advice?
I'm not sure if that sort of letter will help if you also try bringing in his cat and his belongings. I was turned away because I had "too many clothes". (In reality, most of it was books though.) Would it be possible to maybe ship some of his stuff instead? I know it can be quite expensive to ship things, but if you're bringing in books and whatever else I think it'll make the border guards suspicious. It couldn't hurt to get the letter and be sure to show his processing application. You might also want to buy a refundable plane ticket back to the US to show (which you can then get refunded after he makes it into Canada.) Unfortunately, this kind of thing also depends on the border guards you come across that day too. Some of them are really nice and some of them are horrible.

ShadowSeraph

Oct 10, 2016
mcharade said:
I'm not sure if that sort of letter will help if you also try bringing in his cat and his belongings. I was turned away because I had "too many clothes". (In reality, most of it was books though.) Would it be possible to maybe ship some of his stuff instead? I know it can be quite expensive to ship things, but if you're bringing in books and whatever else I think it'll make the border guards suspicious. It couldn't hurt to get the letter and be sure to show his processing application. You might also want to buy a refundable plane ticket back to the US to show (which you can then get refunded after he makes it into Canada.) Unfortunately, this kind of thing also depends on the border guards you come across that day too. Some of them are really nice and some of them are horrible.
A refundable plane ticket would be a lot more feasible than paying to ship all of his things. He doesn't have furniture or anything but it cost him $42USD to send me the paperwork back by express; I can only imagine how much something with an actual weight would cost. He has financial obligations and other ties to the US that he'll have to sort out and finalize for the actual move so it's not like he has nothing tying him to the US. We'll figure it out though and I definitely appreciate the advice :)

Londo

Sep 10, 2014
Category........
Visa Office......
London
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
03-11-2016
AOR Received.
10-11-2016
File Transfer...
23/11/2016
Med's Done....
Oct 2016
mcharade said:
I have to partly disagree and agree. Yes dont use the word "Live" use "Visit" but be honest about your intention because u will be asked how long u plan on staying and if u say am visiting for six months without any real reason they will be specious. My wife came with her cloths and told them the truth and they where fine with it. it was them that even told her she can extend her stay if she wants wants she has submitted her application

Londo

Sep 10, 2014
Category........
Visa Office......
London
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
03-11-2016
AOR Received.
10-11-2016
File Transfer...
23/11/2016
Med's Done....
Oct 2016
ShadowSeraph said:

I certainly wont be bringing his cat, all his belongings and admit they are his belongings as I believe that will guarantee his refusal at entry. They wanna know if his application is refused he will return to the US and not just stay illegally. Bringing everything gives the impression he has no intention of going back if things go south. If u guys really need to bring his entire belongings u could cargo it or maybe you or your mom(assuming shes Canadian too) can make the first trip without him and bring his belongs claiming its yours and he can come at a later date.

As for the host letter I think it makes sense that it will work if the host makes a declaration they will be responsible for all he will need for the duration of his stay and I would imagine they will want to see host bank statement to be sure host can afford such outlay. Am not 100 percent sure about this as I have no first hand experience so u may still wanna ask around.

U.S.Eh?

Nov 3, 2016
Prvc,
We overnighted ours yesterday and it's says delivered and signed for D.David on the FedEx site. Our waiting game begins NOW... (totally worth the $77 CAD for overnighting from Saskatoon SK to Mississauga, ON too!)

U.S.Eh?

Nov 3, 2016
Prvc,
No idea. We are hoping for some news before Christmas. With the holidays, etc - we are planning on everything being a bit slow. Anything earlier than XMas will be a treat (I tend to go with the worst case, expect that, and then be generally surprised)

mcharade

Star Member
May 9, 2016
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
16-09-2016
AOR Received.
14-10-2016
File Transfer...
24-10-2016
Med's Request
Upfront
Med's Done....
Aug. 2016
Londo said:
I have to partly disagree and agree. Yes dont use the word "Live" use "Visit" but be honest about your intention because u will be asked how long u plan on staying and if u say am visiting for six months without any real reason they will be specious. My wife came with her cloths and told them the truth and they where fine with it. it was them that even told her she can extend her stay if she wants wants she has submitted her application
I didn't say to not be truthful, I only said not to say he was planning to live in Canada. I'm glad your wife could get in with her clothes, but I was sharing my own experience where that was the opposite. I was honest with the officer and I was even planning to leave in two months too; I was still denied for having "too many clothes". I think it often relies on the officer you get, I got a very rude officer who seemed to want to turn me away immediately. Some people get understanding officers. Just being truthful doesn't guarantee they'll let you in; that's why I advised to have more proof of intention to return to the US.

Londo

Sep 10, 2014
Category........
Visa Office......
London
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
03-11-2016
AOR Received.
10-11-2016
File Transfer...
23/11/2016
Med's Done....
Oct 2016
mcharade said:
I didn't say to not be truthful, I only said not to say he was planning to live in Canada. I'm glad your wife could get in with her clothes, but I was sharing my own experience where that was the opposite. I was honest with the officer and I was even planning to leave in two months too; I was still denied for having "too many clothes". I think it often relies on the officer you get, I got a very rude officer who seemed to want to turn me away immediately. Some people get understanding officers. Just being truthful doesn't guarantee they'll let you in; that's why I advised to have more proof of intention to return to the US.
Hi mcharade

So sorry if I came across contradictory as that wasn't my intention. You are right its very dependent on the agent you meet on the day. Ours way very nice and welcoming and am sure it could easily have gone the other way if we had met the wrong agent.

Pls accept my apology and all the best with your application

ShadowSeraph

Oct 10, 2016
Thank you everyone for your advice on the whole... bring him up for a long-term visit thing. We'll have to look into finding a way to freight some of his stuff so it doesn't look suspicious and finding documentation of requirement to return to the US at the end of his visit.

Tracking from Canada Post says my application package was delivered today, yippee! :)