+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

NEXUS application

taojinmeng

Star Member
Sep 24, 2020
Hi, just wanted to share how the update of citizenship works for the Nexus card. My Nexus was previously connected to my Canadian PR card and my other passport. Going online, it did not look like I was able to add another citizenship, so I went to Pearson airport and did a walk-in on a Saturday afternoon. Waiting time was very reasonable. The officer took copies of my passport and explained that they leave a stash of those in an box. Every couple of days, an officer from the US side comes and takes them, and updates the respective profiles. I am not sure how fast it was done, but when I checked my online profile about a week later, my Canadian passport had already been added. As he had instructed me, I clicked the button to "order replacement card" and as a reason, ticked "change of citizenship". The fee was 25$. I can see online that the request was approved but I now have to wait for the physical card to arrive. My current card references my other citizenship and I can no longer use this as I would use my Canadian passport to enter Canada or the US on any future trip. I am going to the US in about a month, and will then use Mobile Passport Control assuming that my NEXUS card likely will not have arrived so quickly.
I got the instruction from CBSA officer about replacing my card with corrected nationality on the card. However, I contacted CBP TTP couple weeks ago and received the reply from them about updating my Canadian as main nationality. They said as long as the information on the dashboard is correct, I don't necessarily need to apply for a new card.

If the card is not arrived on time before your trip to USA, just come up with any CBP officers along with your MPC to inquire them about that.

Reactions: EU_2010

EU_2010

Star Member
Dec 5, 2013
Toronto
Category........
CEC
Visa Office......
Sydney, Nova Scotia
NOC Code......
01**
Passport Req..
visa-exempt
VISA ISSUED...
n/a
LANDED..........
landed Mar 2014
Interesting how the information can differ. Tbh, I don’t really care about Nexus vs MPC as the wait time is similar. It’s more about having access to the Nexus security line. When traveling internationally, you don’t even have to take your laptop out which is convenient. Traveling to the US, you still do.
That’s ok, I can wait for the physical card to arrive.

Reactions: taojinmeng

Laura0928

Star Member
Mar 25, 2018
Hi I need clarity on the below. I’ve been a Canadian permanent resident since January 2022, but I’ve held a work permit and living in Canada since September 2019. Am I eligible to apply for Nexus, or do I need to be a permanent resident for three years first?

If you are a permanent resident, you must have been a legal resident of Canada or the U.S. for at least 3 years before applying. You are exempt from the 3-year residency rule if you are:
  • serving in the American armed forces in a foreign country
  • a family member of a person serving in:
    • the Canadian or American armed forces in a foreign country, or
    • a Canadian or American diplomatic mission or consular post in a foreign country

z0mbie

Star Member
Jun 8, 2017
Canada
Category........
Other
I did my NEXUS Interview at YYZ yesterday. Flew in to Toronto and completed the first part with CBSA (Terminal 1). Though my CBSA appointment was at 3.45PM, I went in an hour early and decided to wait in the office. They called me right away and 5mins later, I was done with my interview. CBSA officer advised me to go for the US interview right away (at 3PM) for my return flight which was at 7.15PM and in hindsight, he was right. Not sure how it is for Terminal 1 but I was flying delta which operates from YYZ Terminal 3. Security and immigration done by 4.30PM. For Nexus, there is a waiting area and you have to wait there after taking a number. I waited for almost 2 hours and was called for interview at 6.15PM. Fortunately, my flight was at 7.15PM and was able to wait but there were few other folks who had an earlier flight and had to leave without completing the interview.

Terminal 3 recommended hours on CBP website are from 5.30PM to 7.30PM but my observation was that CBP does not have any fixed hours. They were all busy trying to process the normal immigration line and when it was down to less than 10 people, they started the Nexus interviews. Also, only 1 CBP agent does the interviews and so account for the extra delay (10mins/person) if you have others waiting in line ahead of you.

Hope this helps other who are planning to do "Enrollment on Arrival" or Preclearance area interview. Make sure you have at least 3-4 hours for waiting plus another 1.5 hours for security and immigration.

Haven't seen the approval email or online status change yet. Hopefully, should see see something in the next couple of days.
UPDATE: After waiting for a week, I called the YYZ CBP Pre-clearance location and left a voicemail. Soon after, I received the approval email.

Alikhan115674

Apr 13, 2020
Hi Folks,

I applied for Nexus in July 2022 as a PR holder. I received an email to schedule interviews for myself and my wife, but I haven't received any communication for my kids. Can anyone guide me on where we need to conduct the interviews?

Additionally, I’ve recently applied for citizenship. Do I need to submit a new Nexus application, or can I continue with the same one

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
A minor question, really just looking for confirmation - the Nexus page says that PRs are eligible who have been legal residents for three years. That's based on straight calendar residence, i.e. not a day-count requirement like citizenship? (Not a big difference for the person concerned, but several months due to work travel, mostly to USA)

LargeLanguageModelBot

Star Member
Sep 6, 2023
A minor question, really just looking for confirmation - the Nexus page says that PRs are eligible who have been legal residents for three years. That's based on straight calendar residence, i.e. not a day-count requirement like citizenship? (Not a big difference for the person concerned, but several months due to work travel, mostly to USA)
Yeah, calendar residence.
I applied as an PR with calendar residence more than three years (but PR years fewer than three), and if you count my days it was fewer than three years too.

Reactions: armoured

localhost8100

Star Member
Aug 29, 2019
Hi Folks,

I applied for Nexus in July 2022 as a PR holder. I received an email to schedule interviews for myself and my wife, but I haven't received any communication for my kids. Can anyone guide me on where we need to conduct the interviews?

Additionally, I’ve recently applied for citizenship. Do I need to submit a new Nexus application, or can I continue with the same one
You can wait until their application is approved and go for interview together. You have 5 years from your approval to go for interview. Interview will be in Major airports and border. You need to book appointment.

https://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/services/travel-voyage/prog/nexus/centres-eng.html

No need to file nexus again. You don't need to do anything right now as your citizenship application is not approved yet. Once it is approved, if you haven't attended interview yet, you can update them at the interview. If the citizenship is approved after nexus, you have to go in to nexus office without appointment and update your citizenship status.

Reactions: hssrp

Babsfrey

Star Member
Aug 22, 2018
Nexus Application (Family of 3).
Applied: 23-Oct-2023
Conditional Approval - 1 : 18-March-2024 (Kid)
Conditional Approval - 2 : 1-June-2024
Conditional Approval - 3 : 15-July-2024

Interview appointment booked at Lansdowne land border for September 12, 2024
Family of three: We interviewed today at the Lansdowne land border. First, we interviewed on the Canadian side. It was pretty straightforward. There was no waiting time. Beyond providing our driver's license and passports and confirming our residential address, the officer asked no questions. In five minutes, we had completed the process. Second, we proceeded to the US side, and on entering the office, we signed in our names. After about 10 minutes, an officer called us into his office. He asked for our passports, took our fingerprints, and took a digital photo, followed by asking four criminality questions, to which we had to answer yes or no. He also asked if we had other passports that we would like to add to our profile. In 15 minutes, we had completed the process, and he handed out a paper explaining the Nexus rules and asked if we had any questions.
Interestingly, before we left his office, all three of us received an email notification of a change in the status of our Nexus application. It was pretty much approved immediately. We now await the Nexus card. Hopefully, we get them soon.

Last edited:
Reactions: hssrp

Alikhan115674

Apr 13, 2020
You can wait until their application is approved and go for interview together. You have 5 years from your approval to go for interview. Interview will be in Major airports and border. You need to book appointment.

https://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/services/travel-voyage/prog/nexus/centres-eng.html

No need to file nexus again. You don't need to do anything right now as your citizenship application is not approved yet. Once it is approved, if you haven't attended interview yet, you can update them at the interview. If the citizenship is approved after nexus, you have to go in to nexus office without appointment and update your citizenship status.
Thank you
Is there USA or yyz airport can go fir interviews?