+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Nail the Challenge of Getting Reference Letter from Current Employer!!

vsbarath

Feb 29, 2016
Hi,
I got a reference-letter from my previous employer with the most of the required details except

1. Salary information (for which a separate letter will be provided, but not on the company's letter-head). Will this be ok?
2. Name and contact details of the authorized signatory. Only the signature has been provided with the company's seal. According to the company's rules it seems they aren't supposed to provide the contact details of the signing authority. If I just get a copy of the signing authority's visiting card along with a mail saying the reason, should that be sufficient?

DEEPCUR

Champion Member
Apr 12, 2016
comfortablynumb said:
Hi Stanlee,

Please respond to below query.

I worked with TCS for 3 years and resigned on 8 Feb 2016 and with 1 month notice period my last day was 8 March 2016.

During my notice period I requested my HR personnel to issue a roles and responsibilities letter which he denied .So I took on email that TCS does not issue any such letters. After being denied the letter , I requested a colleague/friend on email to mention my roles and responsibilities. He replied to my email mentioning RNR.

I already knew back in 2016 that I will be applying for EE once the CRS points drop and since I was leaving TCS, I wanted to get this letter as it becomes extremely difficult once you leave the organization.

Now I have 2 questions .

1. The email is dated FEB 2016. Will such an old email be fine?

2. The email was sent from my colleague TCS official ID to my TCS email ID. This makes it official or Any notarization needed??
Tcs does provide responsibilities letter. The letter has standard template. It'll just contain responsibilities, last designation and your start end dates. They allow five points to be added in the letter. You should write an email to corporate.ffs@tcs.com asking for skill letter letting them know that you are applying Canadian pr. They will reply with template along with your last supervisor email. You need to fill the template, send it to your supervisor they mentioned and he need to approve it and send it an email id. Once they do that, you'll get the letter in letterhead. Don't write or ask to any specific hr as they will not know this policy or whatsoever. Write to that email id.

You'd still need another letter from your previous supervisor as the above letter won't contain hours per week, salary, and other designations held. You can get that in a plain paper and notarize it. Go back to this thread for further info on supervisor letter.

Reactions: Varshams

ud_85

Jul 22, 2015
Hello Friends

I am having little confusion. I worked for a bank in India in 2007.

My designation on Offer Letter was "Associate Sales Manager" then bank change the designation to Client Sales Partner but everything was same such as my job level, pay, duties etc.

My designation on Relieving Letter & Service Certificate was "Client Sales Partner" (which I got when I moved on to another Co.)

I ask for my work experience letter from the bank (after reaching the VP of HR) in November 2015 which says that my designation is Associate Sales Manager during my work period.

So friends what designation I should use in Express Entry form.

Also I wont be getting a new job experience letter so will this letter (dated Nov 2015) work?

chonji1226

Star Member
Nov 26, 2016
Can I just ask, usually, how long/how many pages should a reference letter have?

I have been with the company for 4 years under the same role and duties and responsibilities, do I need to submit multiple pages of reference letter? It can actually just fit into a one page letter but if needed I can try to make it very very detailed. ;D

I was just concerned that if I submit a one page reference letter for 4 years of experience CIC might think it's not enough...

Stanlee

VIP Member
Jan 29, 2016
chonji1226 said:
Can I just ask, usually, how long/how many pages should a reference letter have?

I have been with the company for 4 years under the same role and duties and responsibilities, do I need to submit multiple pages of reference letter? It can actually just fit into a one page letter but if needed I can try to make it very very detailed. ;D

I was just concerned that if I submit a one page reference letter for 4 years of experience CIC might think it's not enough...
The number of pages does not matter as long as the required details are covered.

Stanlee

VIP Member
Jan 29, 2016
ud_85 said:
Hello Friends

I am having little confusion. I worked for a bank in India in 2007.

My designation on Offer Letter was "Associate Sales Manager" then bank change the designation to Client Sales Partner but everything was same such as my job level, pay, duties etc.

My designation on Relieving Letter & Service Certificate was "Client Sales Partner" (which I got when I moved on to another Co.)

I ask for my work experience letter from the bank (after reaching the VP of HR) in November 2015 which says that my designation is Associate Sales Manager during my work period.

So friends what designation I should use in Express Entry form.

Also I wont be getting a new job experience letter so will this letter (dated Nov 2015) work?
You can mention Associate Sales Manager and use the LOE to explain that the NOC for both are the same, but the designation was updated in between.

Stanlee

VIP Member
Jan 29, 2016
vsbarath said:
Hi,
I got a reference-letter from my previous employer with the most of the required details except

1. Salary information (for which a separate letter will be provided, but not on the company's letter-head). Will this be ok?
2. Name and contact details of the authorized signatory. Only the signature has been provided with the company's seal. According to the company's rules it seems they aren't supposed to provide the contact details of the signing authority. If I just get a copy of the signing authority's visiting card along with a mail saying the reason, should that be sufficient?
1. Yes
2. Yes

chonji1226

Star Member
Nov 26, 2016
Stanlee said:
The number of pages does not matter as long as the required details are covered.
Thank you Stanlee! Your reference guide has been very helpful. I'd give you a +1 but the system won't allow me for another 4 days..I think :p

Nick89

Jan 25, 2017
Hi,

I have a question regarding the job reference letter. I had worked in company 'A' as a post-doctoral fellow from 2013 to 2015 under two different supervisors in two different projects (2013-2014, 2014-2015). Even though my job title, NOC code and the company are the same there is a slight difference in my job duties so I was planning to get two different letters mentioning the job duties from my supervisors. But I will only be able to get one letter from HR stating the salary details. It will be for the period of 2013-2015. The letters from supervisors don't have salary details.

How should I enter my work history in Express Entry Profile?

Should I enter 1 entry for the period of 2013-2015?

Should I enter 2 entries, one from 2013-2014, one from 2014-2015?

Please note that my job title, company and NOC code are the same. But main duties are slightly different.

thinkshady

Jun 26, 2016
NOC Code......
Nick89 said:
Hi,

I have a question regarding the job reference letter. I had worked in company 'A' as a post-doctoral fellow from 2013 to 2015 under two different supervisors in two different projects (2013-2014, 2014-2015). Even though my job title, NOC code and the company are the same there is a slight difference in my job duties so I was planning to get two different letters mentioning the job duties from my supervisors. But I will only be able to get one letter from HR stating the salary details. It will be for the period of 2013-2015. The letters from supervisors don't have salary details.

How should I enter my work history in Express Entry Profile?

Should I enter 1 entry for the period of 2013-2015?

Should I enter 2 entries, one from 2013-2014, one from 2014-2015?

Please note that my job title, company and NOC code are the same. But main duties are slightly different.
Yes you can bifurcate your work period as above, One letter is more than enough.

S

sutyfornow

Guys i worked in a governmental university in a paid internship
They paid me money in cash and very little money i think it is like a reward or something
I made a reference letter stating i received 200 pounds monthly.
Is there a problem with that?

Tatya_Vinchu

Star Member
Mar 1, 2017
sutyfornow said:
Guys i worked in a governmental university in a paid internship
They paid me money in cash and very little money i think it is like a reward or something
I made a reference letter stating i received 200 pounds monthly.
Is there a problem with that?
You made a reference letter? You need to get one from your employer (the university) in the required format ... number of hours worked, pay, duration, duties...on letterhead.

S

sutyfornow

Tatya_Vinchu said:
You made a reference letter? You need to get one from your employer (the university) in the required format ... number of hours worked, pay, duration, duties...on letterhead.
Yes i got a format as well as recommendation letter
However, i have no payslips i was paid in cash only.
Dunno what to do

DEEPCUR

Champion Member
Apr 12, 2016
I'm going to get my reference letter in a plain paper from my supervisor and have it notarized. I'm also planning to attach his ID card. I would like to know where to include ID card scan. Second page of supervisor letter is half empty.. Can I attach it in that space or separate page for ID card alone?

Tatya_Vinchu

Star Member
Mar 1, 2017
DEEPCUR said:
I'm going to get my reference letter in a plain paper from my supervisor and have it notarized. I'm also planning to attach his ID card. I would like to know where to include ID card scan. Second page of supervisor letter is half empty.. Can I attach it in that space or separate page for ID card alone?
Yes upload the scanned ID card. If you are not crunching on space (file size) then add it on another page.