+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Nail the Challenge of Getting Reference Letter from Current Employer!!

DEEPCUR

Champion Member
Apr 12, 2016
Is it must to provide a justification if someone is submitting notarized supervisor letter, and not a letter on letterhead? I have a reference letter from my company that might be way too technical for a cic officer to comprehend. Unfortunately, my company issues responsibilities letter only once.

I can get a letter from one of my previous supervisors mentioning responsibilities in a simpler language, but I am clueless on what to tell cic for not getting responsibilities on a letterhead. I cannot show any proof for hr denying nor I can state policy issues for not getting the letter. Only responsibilities are not in letter head. For duration, I have a relieving letter on letter which mentions start and end date and last drawn salary, and I have my last pay slips too. How to present my case for providing supervisor letter?

I am not very comfortable providing the company provided letter along with some different content in supervisor letter which could raise unnecessary red flags on tailoring responsibilities for pr sake.

Or can I just submit everything (except too technical responsibilities provided by company) and say I have provided supervisor letter for responsibilities, relieving letter for duration etc.

starlettedouze

Star Member
Jul 10, 2013
Category........
CEC
App. Filed.......
07-03-2017
AOR Received.
17-03-2017
Hi,

Appreciate your advise. My former employer has issued me a letter which includes my job title, start and end dates (3 years total), salary, duties and responsibilities, and my supervisor's contact information. However, it did not indicate that I worked as a full-time employee.

I am working on having my letter revised or have another document issued stating I worked full-time but what are my other options? Can I put in my LOE that they can contact my supervisor for confirmation? Unfortunately, I do not have any other documents (ie. offer letter) which I can include.

Thanks!

ldrbjp

Oct 11, 2012
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
I'm with the same employer do the past 10 years, with varying role as my career unfolded. I'm sure my employer won't give me the reference letter... As is the casewith most of service based companies in India. My supervisor won't support either for the reference letter. Can I get the letter from my colleague, list 10 years of experience, list all roles and detail only current role with the responsibilities. Please let me know if this is a good enough approach

better_life

Jan 16, 2017
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Is there any better way to tell your employer about need of reference letter? I am worried if tell them it is for canadian immigration they will freak out and may not support. Please advise. TIA.

itaurine

Jan 2, 2017
DelPiero07 said:
1 - That's fine, get a declaration of your duties and responsibilities from a former colleague and notarize this. Hopefully you can also get proof that the franchise was sold.

2 - Same advice as above.
Thank you!! Much appreciate it.

For #1: I am unable to find any legitimate legal document proving the franchise owner has sold the business. I can however state in the LOE the details of the new owner who can be reached.

For #2: Getting a declaration of duties will be challenging, but will pay stubs and a LOE be sufficient?

Please advise.

Thanks,

DelPiero07

VIP Member
Oct 2, 2016
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
itaurine said:
Thank you!! Much appreciate it.

For #1: I am unable to find any legitimate legal document proving the franchise owner has sold the business. I can however state in the LOE the details of the new owner who can be reached.

For #2: Getting a declaration of duties will be challenging, but will pay stubs and a LOE be sufficient?

Please advise.

Thanks,
You need something that states your duties so that the officer can match your NOC code to such duties.

You can try providing other documents but I can't guarantee your work experience will get accepted if you fail to provide your duties/responsibilities.

pjk

Dec 12, 2016
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
rajkamalmohanram said:
Good post, Stanlee.

I would like to mention my experience here. I tried my best to get a letter on the letterhead (for my OINP application). I contacted my manager first and requested him to provide a letter (I showed him the format). My manager refused to give me the letter (because he said he is not authorized to provide such a letter). I then e-mailed the HR and asked them to provide such a letter on the letterhead! I pursued them for 3 full weeks but to no avail.

I got the letter from the HR in the standard format of the company (It mentions only my name, date of joining, designation and employee ID). Then, I got the letter from a senior colleague in the required format in a plain paper. I suggest all applicants to get this letter notarized. To sum up, I submitted the following documents to OINP -

1) Letter of explanation for reference letter
2) Copy of the Standard format of the company’s letter
3) Reference letter(with all necessary details) by a senior colleague
4) Copy of the senior colleague's company ID card
5) Copy of Email – 1 from the HR
6) Copy of Email – 2 from HR
7) Copy of the company’s HR policy
8 ) Copy of pay scale letter for 2015
9) Copy of pay scale letter for 2014
10) Copy of the pay slips for the past 6 months
11) Copy of appointment letter [joining letter]
12) Copy of initial job offer letter

Luckily, my application was accepted by OINP and I got my AOR. As you can see, I cannot provide any more documentation to prove my work - I had submitted ALL the documents that I had.

So, if your letter is not on the letterhead, you can just go ahead and submit a letter from your supervisor/colleague & get it notarized. Please note that the name, phone number, official E-mail ID and the designation of the person giving the reference MUST be mentioned on the letter. If you provide comprehensive documentation, it is likely that OINP/CIC will be satisfied and proceed with your application.

Check this post too ---> http://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/employer-hr-refuses-official-job-letter-with-addnl-detailed-job-duties-t316445.0.html
I left my previous organization about three years back. The reference letter pertaining to this job is more than an year old. It worked for my OINP(Received on 1Feb2016). Given the fact that it's more than an year old, Can I still submit that for my post ITA process?

Forst

Jan 17, 2017
Hey guys I've been working for the same same company for 3 years and have had 2 positions in that time. The first position was under an unskilled category which i have not claimed points for. I have only claimed points for my second position which is skilled and have got a reference letter for that position.

On the CIC website it says the reference letter should indicate all positions held while employed at the company and must include the following details: job title, duties and responsibilities, job status (if current job), dates worked for the company, number of work hours per week and annual salary plus benefits;

- Do i need to have my first position which is unskilled mentioned on this reference letter even though i have not claimed points for it?
- If yes, should id include all the duties as well?
- Lastly, is the NOC mandatory to be mentioned on the reference letter?

Thank you.

Pari10

Jan 13, 2017
Hi
I have some questions.
I have 3 years and 1 month experience in my current job. The thing is that I have work experience in other NOCs too. Now, should I mention all of them in my work history? Doesn't make them confused about my main NOC?

Thank you so much

Tito G

Star Member
Jun 20, 2016
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hello Guys,

For ITA, where should the reference letter be addressed to?
For those who were nominated by OINP, we addressed reference letters to OINP at the time but when applying to CIC, I have no clue whom we are meant to address our letters to.

Kindly help. Thanks.

kryt0n

VIP Member
Sep 30, 2014
NOC Code......
AOR Received.
16-03-2017
Passport Req..
11-07-2017
Tito G said:
Hello Guys,

For those who were nominated by OINP, we addressed reference letters to OINP at the time but when applying to CIC, I have no clue whom we are meant to address our letters to.

Kindly help. Thanks.
Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada...

DEEPCUR

Champion Member
Apr 12, 2016
Tito G said:
Hello Guys,

Kindly help. Thanks.
I believe that it's not a good idea to submit different letters to province and ircc.

kryt0n

VIP Member
Sep 30, 2014
NOC Code......
AOR Received.
16-03-2017
Passport Req..
11-07-2017
DEEPCUR said:
I believe that it's not a good idea to submit different letters to province and ircc.
If the employer is willing to keep the same content but change who it's addressed to, it's fine.

Tito G

Star Member
Jun 20, 2016
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
kryt0n said:
Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada...
Thanks kryt0n. I know it's IRCC, it's the specific address I am asking for, or would the name suffice without an address.

I know DEEPCUR, I am not writing different letters just addressed to different organisations, 1) OINP and 2) IRCC.

Thanks.

kryt0n

VIP Member
Sep 30, 2014
NOC Code......
AOR Received.
16-03-2017
Passport Req..
11-07-2017
Tito G said:
Thanks kryt0n. I know it's IRCC, it's the specific address I am asking for, or would the name suffice without an address.

I know DEEPCUR, I am not writing different letters just addressed to different organisations, 1) OINP and 2) IRCC.

Thanks.
After a 3 second Google...http://www.cic.gc.ca/EnGLish/information/offices/index.asp