Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Passport Req..
05-04-11
LANDED..........
23-05-11
TSauretBaxter said:
Does anyone have any advice for learning Spanish? It's been a struggle for me. I found one course online and it was sooo boring I couldn't motivate myself to do it. I'm looking at a Rosetta Stone course now. Does anyone know of this course? How has everyone learned Spanish??
Rosetta is good. From when I learned English, I have good memories of a Berlitz course that was around the house, so maybe their Spanish courses are good too?
Now, for free, you can just join this: www-dot-spanishdict-dot-com. It seems really good and I've actually listened to entire lessons; it deals with useful everyday stuff, unlike others.

Buen aprendizaje!

edgarsitow

Sep 11, 2008
Category........
Visa Office......
Mexico City
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
September 19 2009
Doc's Request.
April 26, 2012, ARC Request on August 31, 2012
File Transfer...
14 October 2009 to Mexico City (Original) April 04, 2012 (re-processing after appeal allowed)
Med's Request
April 26, 2012
Med's Done....
September 07, 2009 (Original) April 30, 2012 (After appeal allowed)
Interview........
March 23, 2010 DENIED, Filed appeal September 2010
Passport Req..
November 05, 2012
VISA ISSUED...
November 06, 2012
LANDED..........
November 17, 2012
NAFTA.couple said:
Rosetta is good. From when I learned English, I have good memories of a Berlitz course that was around the house, so maybe their Spanish courses are good too?
Now, for free, you can just join this: www-dot-spanishdict-dot-com. It seems really good and I've actually listened to entire lessons; it deals with useful everyday stuff, unlike others.

Buen aprendizaje!
lol I work for Berlitz :) Our material is good, however it's intended to be used with a tutor/teacher, not by itself.

Nessa

May 25, 2011
Category........
Visa Office......
Mexico City
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Dec. 6 2011
Doc's Request.
May 11 2012 (PGR)
AOR Received.
April 09 2012
File Transfer...
Jan. 31 2012
Med's Done....
Nov. 08 2011
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
June 21 2012
VISA ISSUED...
June 26 2012
LANDED..........
Nov. 3 2012
I have heard Rosetta stone is really good! Haven´t tried it though...

I have taken many spanish classes for my undergrad but I can tell you that nothing compares to just coming to mexico and forcing myself into situations where I have no choice but to speak spanish! I took like 5 years worth of spanish in Canada and then came to mexico for 6 weeks and I swear I learned so much more in those 6 weeks than I ever did from any classes! And when I came to mexico for my postgrad I was really nervous because my spanish wasn´t that great but if you just put yourself in those situations, you are forced to learn really quickly!

I think that is really the best way to learn! I know it can be hard and maybe you will say something that makes no sense and people will look at you weirdly...but that´s ok! :p You just have to really force yourself and not be shy about it.

KJG

Champion Member
Jun 4, 2012
Ontario
Category........
Visa Office......
Havana
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Feb 28, 2012
AOR Received.
June 14, 2012
File Transfer...
June 20, 2012
Med's Done....
Jan 3, 2012
Interview........
Oct 4, 2012 9:00am
VISA ISSUED...
Oct 4, 2012
LANDED..........
Nov 9, 2012
Nessa said:

I have taken many spanish classes for my undergrad but I can tell you that nothing compares to just coming to mexico and forcing myself into situations where I have no choice but to speak spanish! I took like 5 years worth of spanish in Canada and then came to mexico for 6 weeks and I swear I learned so much more in those 6 weeks than I ever did from any classes! And when I came to mexico for my postgrad I was really nervous because my spanish wasn´t that great but if you just put yourself in those situations, you are forced to learn really quickly!

I think that is really the best way to learn! I know it can be hard and maybe you will say something that makes no sense and people will look at you weirdly...but that´s ok! :p You just have to really force yourself and not be shy about it.
I totally agree Nessa.....wish I had the time and money to spend two months in Cuba with my husband and his family because for sure I would come back fairly fluent!!! All the mechanics are in place....I just need to start them!!! LOL

NAFTA.couple

Star Member
Jan 16, 2011
GTA
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Passport Req..
05-04-11
LANDED..........
23-05-11
edgarsitow said:
lol I work for Berlitz :) Our material is good, however it's intended to be used with a tutor/teacher, not by itself.
Maybe they've changed them then. What we had was self-paced, a long time ago. Also, it can't be stressed enough: patience is the main ingredient. After that, there is no magic bullet -- just do your best and try to lose the fear.

KJG

Champion Member
Jun 4, 2012
Ontario
Category........
Visa Office......
Havana
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Feb 28, 2012
AOR Received.
June 14, 2012
File Transfer...
June 20, 2012
Med's Done....
Jan 3, 2012
Interview........
Oct 4, 2012 9:00am
VISA ISSUED...
Oct 4, 2012
LANDED..........
Nov 9, 2012
NAFTA.couple said:
Maybe they've changed them then. What we had was self-paced, a long time ago. Also, it can't e stressed enough: patience is the main ingredient. After that, there is no magic bullet -- just do your best and try to lose the fear.
NAFTA.couple.....you hit the nail on the head ......LOSE THE FEAR...I have to admit that is my biggest stumbling block...and I am working on it...and slowly my fear is leaving me.....but yikes......it is hard!!!

TSauretBaxter

Jun 6, 2012
Alberta
Category........
Visa Office......
Mexico
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Received 29-03-2012
Doc's Request.
PGR Aug 17-12
AOR Received.
Sponsorship Approved July 3-12/ Mexico AOR Aug 17/12
Med's Done....
February 2012
Interview........
Waived!!
Passport Req..
Sept 12-12
VISA ISSUED...
Sept 19-12
LANDED..........
Sept 21-12
Nessa said:

Yeah, I'm defintely very shy about it. But I have to get over it. I rely on my husband when I am in Mexico, even though he tries to push me to speak Spanish. The Destinos videos and practices are actually quite good. Much more interesting than "Listen and Repeat" :)

What did you go to Mexico to study?

Nessa

May 25, 2011
Category........
Visa Office......
Mexico City
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Dec. 6 2011
Doc's Request.
May 11 2012 (PGR)
AOR Received.
April 09 2012
File Transfer...
Jan. 31 2012
Med's Done....
Nov. 08 2011
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
June 21 2012
VISA ISSUED...
June 26 2012
LANDED..........
Nov. 3 2012
TSauretBaxter said:
Yeah, I'm defintely very shy about it. But I have to get over it. I rely on my husband when I am in Mexico, even though he tries to push me to speak Spanish. The Destinos videos and practices are actually quite good. Much more interesting than "Listen and Repeat" :)

What did you go to Mexico to study?
Latin American Studies :)

I was really shy about it too! Still am sometimes! But just start with small things...maybe if you go out to a restaurant order for everybody, or ask for things yourself in Spanish. It helps if you have friends that don´t speak english at all...I found that if I knew that someone spoke English then I would get lazy and just say words in English instead of trying to figure it out! But if they don´t speak any English, then you have no choice! ;D

TSauretBaxter

Jun 6, 2012
Alberta
Category........
Visa Office......
Mexico
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Received 29-03-2012
Doc's Request.
PGR Aug 17-12
AOR Received.
Sponsorship Approved July 3-12/ Mexico AOR Aug 17/12
Med's Done....
February 2012
Interview........
Waived!!
Passport Req..
Sept 12-12
VISA ISSUED...
Sept 19-12
LANDED..........
Sept 21-12
Nessa said:
Latin American Studies :)

I was really shy about it too! Still am sometimes! But just start with small things...maybe if you go out to a restaurant order for everybody, or ask for things yourself in Spanish. It helps if you have friends that don´t speak english at all...I found that if I knew that someone spoke English then I would get lazy and just say words in English instead of trying to figure it out! But if they don´t speak any English, then you have no choice! ;D
Cool, what do you want to do with your studies when you come back to Canada?

How did you learn to roll your rrrr's?? :)

Nessa

May 25, 2011
Category........
Visa Office......
Mexico City
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Dec. 6 2011
Doc's Request.
May 11 2012 (PGR)
AOR Received.
April 09 2012
File Transfer...
Jan. 31 2012
Med's Done....
Nov. 08 2011
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
June 21 2012
VISA ISSUED...
June 26 2012
LANDED..........
Nov. 3 2012
TSauretBaxter said:
Cool, what do you want to do with your studies when you come back to Canada?

Ohh I don´t know I guess I will wait and see what comes up! Maybe some government job...maybe even in CIC or something :eek: lol!

The rrrrrr´s...yeah I have yet to master that skill! I think I am getting better at it...but I tend to roll my rrrr´s the french way which is like at the back of the throat, and the spanish way is more in the front. So people get confused about my weird accent hahah

birney00

Star Member
Jan 31, 2011
re do my medical

yo envie mi apllicacion en Marzo del anio pasado, y en Enero de este anio me pidieron que aplicara para el ARC. en esta semana recibi esto:

Please note that medical results are now the only thing pending before your file can be finalized.

You are being granted 30 days to provide us with proof that you have undergone new medical examinations.

que tanto falta para que termine mi proceso?

OhCanadiana

VIP Member
Feb 27, 2010
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Re: re do my medical

birney00 said:
yo envie mi apllicacion en Marzo del anio pasado, y en Enero de este anio me pidieron que aplicara para el ARC. en esta semana recibi esto:

Please note that medical results are now the only thing pending before your file can be finalized.

You are being granted 30 days to provide us with proof that you have undergone new medical examinations.

que tanto falta para que termine mi proceso?
Te están solicitando que hagas un exámen médico otra vez dado que ya caducó el que les entregaste (caducan después de un año). Dado que dicen que es lo único que falta, vete preparando para tener buenas noticas próximamente. El examen médico tarda como 3 semanas una vez que los reciban en la oficina regional en ser procesado y después de eso, sólo es cuestión de que emitan la visa.

¡Felicidades!

P.D. ¿Cuándo hiciste tu primer exámen médico? Si fue hace menos de 15 meses, posiblemente puedas solicitar una extensión en lugar de tener que hacerlos nuevamente gracias a una nueva regla.

°°°°

They are asking you to do another medical exam since the prior one expired (they expire after one year). Given that they say the medical results are the only thing missing, prepare yourself for good news soon. Medical exams take about 3 weeks to be processed once they receive them at the Regional Medical Office and after that it's just a matter of the visa being issued.

Congratulations!

PS. When did you do your first medical exam? If it was less than 15 months ago, you may be able to request an extension given a recent Bulletin.

mc1234

Champion Member
Aug 30, 2011
Category........
Visa Office......
Mexico City
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
23-04-2012
Doc's Request.
20/08/2012 - PGR and SSP
AOR Received.
Ottawa: 23/07/2012 Mexico City: 20/08/2012
File Transfer...
24/07/2012
Med's Done....
12-04-2012
Interview........
Waived!
Passport Req..
08-11-2012
VISA ISSUED...
15-11-2012
LANDED..........
23-11-2012
Has anyone flown in Mexico before from one city to another? Whats the most economical and best airline you have flown with? I have look at volaris and a few others, so far volaris seems to be the best one. Advice?

OhCanadiana

VIP Member
Feb 27, 2010
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
TSauretBaxter said:
Take a look at http://www.uiowa.edu/~acadtech/phonetics/spanish/frameset.html. Pick purple "lugar." Then select "coronal" under the options that will pop up. The left 'r' is the singular, the r on the right is 'rr.' It will show you how to place your tongue and you can hear a few examples if you click play under the photo of the person.

Also, practice makes perfect. Try ferrocaril, for example. Over and over and at some point magically it will come together :)

OhCanadiana

VIP Member
Feb 27, 2010
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
TSauretBaxter said:
I'm glad you're liking Destinos. I know it sounds ridiculous to use a soap opera but don't argue with success. And, it's definitely much more interesting than 'pen,' 'pen on book,' etc.

Once you're ready to 'push' yourself, you may want to consider reaching out to one of the resettlement programs in your area (e.g., many YMCAs are affiliated with them) and offer to help out some new immigrants. I met some recent refugees from Latin America at the pool the other day who were trying very hard to learn English and their way around and probably would have appreciated someone who was willing to be friendly in exchange for Spanish. It's a quite lonely start when you drop everything and run for your life...