+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Mexico

OhCanadiana

VIP Member
Feb 27, 2010
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
mc1234 said:
Does anyone know what Epazote is called in English?? Also, does anyone know where we could find some in the Toronto and/or the surrounding areas?? Gracias!
It's also called epazote (and is, unfortunately) hard to find in the US and Canada. See http://www.thestar.com/comment/columnists/article/655807 for an idea :)

And, then invite your friends over to expand their palate!

mc1234

Champion Member
Aug 30, 2011
Category........
Visa Office......
Mexico City
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
23-04-2012
Doc's Request.
20/08/2012 - PGR and SSP
AOR Received.
Ottawa: 23/07/2012 Mexico City: 20/08/2012
File Transfer...
24/07/2012
Med's Done....
12-04-2012
Interview........
Waived!
Passport Req..
08-11-2012
VISA ISSUED...
15-11-2012
LANDED..........
23-11-2012
Thanks, I know we have been looking for it for about 7-8 months now! I actually found a place in Toronto that sells them already dried. Better than nothing! This store actually looks pretty good.. were going to go there on the weekend and ill give a review! :)

http://www.thespicetrader.ca/

OhCanadiana

VIP Member
Feb 27, 2010
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
mc1234 said:
Thanks, I know we have been looking for it for about 7-8 months now! I actually found a place in Toronto that sells them already dried. Better than nothing! This store actually looks pretty good.. were going to go there on the weekend and ill give a review! :)

http://www.thespicetrader.ca/
I used to get folks to mail them to me from Mexico when you couldn't get it at all!

That store looks cool - if you can't find it and decide to grow epazote let us know if it really is easy!

mc1234

Champion Member
Aug 30, 2011
Category........
Visa Office......
Mexico City
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
23-04-2012
Doc's Request.
20/08/2012 - PGR and SSP
AOR Received.
File Transfer...
24/07/2012
Med's Done....
12-04-2012
Interview........
Waived!
Passport Req..
08-11-2012
VISA ISSUED...
15-11-2012
LANDED..........
23-11-2012
OhCanadiana said:
I used to get folks to mail them to me from Mexico when you couldn't get it at all!

That store looks cool - if you can't find it and decide to grow epazote let us know if it really is easy!
We are thinking about growing it as well! Just we weren't sure where we could get the seeds, I wish we brought some back with us! Can they survive year round here, or do you have to replant them yearly?

LOL you can mail them?! Maybe ill ask my SO's mom to send us some :) hahaha.

OhCanadiana

VIP Member
Feb 27, 2010
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
mc1234 said:
We are thinking about growing it as well! Just we weren't sure where we could get the seeds, I wish we brought some back with us! Can they survive year round here, or do you have to replant them yearly?

LOL you can mail them?! Maybe ill ask my SO's mom to send us some :) hahaha.
The article I linked to above says it's super easy to grow and links to a store that sells seeds in Ontario (mail order) - http://www.richters.com/Web_store/web_store.cgi?searchterm=epazote&search_catalogue_button=Go

mc1234

Champion Member
Aug 30, 2011
Category........
Visa Office......
Mexico City
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
23-04-2012
Doc's Request.
20/08/2012 - PGR and SSP
AOR Received.
File Transfer...
24/07/2012
Med's Done....
12-04-2012
Interview........
Waived!
Passport Req..
08-11-2012
VISA ISSUED...
15-11-2012
LANDED..........
23-11-2012

missmymexi

Feb 27, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
Mexico City
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
04-17-2012
Doc's Request.
11-26-12 - Common law declaration/PRG/SSP
AOR Received.
Ottawa - 09-11-12 / DF 11-26-12
File Transfer...
09-17-12
Med's Done....
02-29-12
edgarsitow said:
Gotta love the haters.

I posted a photo on my Facebook of me wearing a hospital robe with polka dots from when I went to get my medicals done on Monday with the quote "Whoever invented hospital robes had no fashion sense whatsoever!"
And I get some nice comments and a whole bunch of likes, then along comes a "friend" and says "you're still going on with that crap?" And I'm like "Yeah, already got approved :)" then she's like "but you've been on that crap for like 5 years" and I'm like "actually 2 years, so what? It's a sacrifice I have to make and it's worth it, the best decision of my life" and then she's like "are you still married? and I'm like "of course!" and she's like "duuuhhhh long distance relationships don't work" with the Spanish saying for those who understand "amor de lejos..."

Like what the hell? I don't understand, this used to be a good friend back in Tijuana and now she's being a massive hater. This is something I'm definitely not gonna miss from this country, you start moving forward and people try to drag you back, they can't stand that someone else is doing better than them. I don't know if you guys are aware of the story about the Mexican crabs, but I'm seeing this right here.

Sorry for the rant, but I just had to say it somewhere, I hope you guys understand.
My fiance makes the same complaints very often, after being away from Mexico for 10 years he has alot of issues with the basic mexican mantality especially towards relationships, He has been asked by his mother if we were really in love, she said we didnt fight enough to be in love !

mc1234

Champion Member
Aug 30, 2011
Category........
Visa Office......
Mexico City
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
23-04-2012
Doc's Request.
20/08/2012 - PGR and SSP
AOR Received.
File Transfer...
24/07/2012
Med's Done....
12-04-2012
Interview........
Waived!
Passport Req..
08-11-2012
VISA ISSUED...
15-11-2012
LANDED..........
23-11-2012
missmymexi said:
My fiance makes the same complaints very often, after being away from Mexico for 10 years he has alot of issues with the basic mexican mantality especially towards relationships, He has been asked by his mother if we were really in love, she said we didnt fight enough to be in love !
Wow, 10 years. It must have been very difficult for him to return.

My SO parents have always been very supportive of our relationship, but often its hard to explain how visas work here and how getting permanent residence status works here as well. Luckily they don't have much comments, they just respond with "Claro Que Si!" lmao.

missmymexi

Feb 27, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
Mexico City
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
04-17-2012
Doc's Request.
AOR Received.
File Transfer...
09-17-12
Med's Done....
02-29-12
mc1234 said:
Wow, 10 years. It must have been very difficult for him to return.
Even after being back 9 months now he is having issues adjusting, he is literally relearning to be Mexican and its been very hard on him, I think he expanded his mind alot well away and he feels as if though he is be supressed now.

And yes he has that issue as well, people thinking he must be weathy because he was in Canada so long, but when he was deported he left with $400 and what he was wearing, his family and friends didnt get it how this was possible, but of course he was illegal in Canada so the money he was making was not good and most of which he was sending and leaving little for himself. Its interesting, there is good and bad to every culture, I love Mexico and I love Canada, and I have witnessed this kind of additude on both sides.

edgarsitow

Sep 11, 2008
Category........
Visa Office......
Mexico City
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
September 19 2009
Doc's Request.
April 26, 2012, ARC Request on August 31, 2012
File Transfer...
14 October 2009 to Mexico City (Original) April 04, 2012 (re-processing after appeal allowed)
Med's Request
April 26, 2012
Med's Done....
September 07, 2009 (Original) April 30, 2012 (After appeal allowed)
Interview........
March 23, 2010 DENIED, Filed appeal September 2010
Passport Req..
November 05, 2012
VISA ISSUED...
November 06, 2012
LANDED..........
November 17, 2012
Thank you everyone for the responses, it's a relief to know that I'm not the only one that notices these differences.

Coming back from Canada was a culture shock (even as a Mexican) I guess living in The Great White North gives you a different perspective, but not only that, it gives you a benchmark for comparisons and you notice the good and bad from both places.

My dad knows how it is because he was there with me. My mom on the other hand was asking me while I was in Canada to pay for her to study some course. It was a couple thousand dollars and she got offended when I told her I didn't have the money. She thought I was lying and here comes the oh so classic "pfft you just move to Canada and you forget about your family! " LOL! :eek:

Mexico is a nice place, I think Mexico City is an amazing city with all the good and bad things, but I feel that I don't really fit in, I was changed for the better I believe. My wife loves it, but she only comes, stays for a few months and doesn't have to work or deal with the other reality. She's on my side though when I tell her that Mexico can't offer what Canada will.

missmymexi

Feb 27, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
Mexico City
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
04-17-2012
Doc's Request.
AOR Received.
File Transfer...
09-17-12
Med's Done....
02-29-12
edgarsitow said:
Thank you everyone for the responses, it's a relief to know that I'm not the only one that notices these differences.

Coming back from Canada was a culture shock (even as a Mexican) I guess living in The Great White North gives you a different perspective, but not only that, it gives you a benchmark for comparisons and you notice the good and bad from both places.

My dad knows how it is because he was there with me. My mom on the other hand was asking me while I was in Canada to pay for her to study some course. It was a couple thousand dollars and she got offended when I told her I didn't have the money. She thought I was lying and here comes the oh so classic "pfft you just move to Canada and you forget about your family! " LOL! :eek:

Mexico is a nice place, I think Mexico City is an amazing city with all the good and bad things, but I feel that I don't really fit in, I was changed for the better I believe. My wife loves it, but she only comes, stays for a few months and doesn't have to work or deal with the other reality. She's on my side though when I tell her that Mexico can't offer what Canada will.
You are certainly not alone and reading this comment sounds exactly like my fiance, he also feels he does not fit in anymore either and since being back he has met up with a few other friends that were sent back or went back to Mexico too and it seems this is very common, lately he is most angry about the elections coming up and what a joke it is, he keeps saying that people only care if the guy is good looking but do not look at the bigger picture, all you can do is share what you have learned abroad and open eyes :)

Americana In T.O.

Star Member
Jan 25, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
Mexico City
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
02/12/2011
AOR Received.
10/04/2012
File Transfer...
30/01/2012
Med's Done....
01/10/2011
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
01/08/2012
VISA ISSUED...
21/08/2012
LANDED..........
24/08/2012 YAY!!!
OhCanadiana said:
It's also called epazote (and is, unfortunately) hard to find in the US and Canada.
Epasote is actually quote easy to find in the U.S. in places where there is a large Mexican population (i.e. Chicago and Los Angeles). In Toronto, you could try Tierra Azteca on Bloor and Dufferin. They have a lot of authentic food products, fruits and vegetables from Mexico. They also serve an amazing bowl of Menudo on the weekends!

Tierra Azteca
1115 Bloor St W, Unit 2
Toronto
647-435-4098

Americana In T.O.

Star Member
Jan 25, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
Mexico City
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
02/12/2011
AOR Received.
10/04/2012
File Transfer...
30/01/2012
Med's Done....
01/10/2011
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
01/08/2012
VISA ISSUED...
21/08/2012
LANDED..........
24/08/2012 YAY!!!
edgarsitow said:
My mom on the other hand was asking me while I was in Canada to pay for her to study some course. It was a couple thousand dollars and she got offended when I told her I didn't have the money. She thought I was lying and here comes the oh so classic "pfft you just move to Canada and you forget about your family! " LOL! :eek:
I was just talking to one of my friends about this the other day, how ironic. My husband always says that there is a common misconception in Mexico that everyone that has emigrated to the U.S. (and Canada) automatically make a lot of money and that they should feel obligated to send money back home at a whim. This usually comes from people that have not even been to the U.S. and Canada and have only seen unrealistic images on television of what life is like here. My hubby has had to explain to his mom several times that although jobs might be more plentiful in the States (that's where is living for now) but the cost of living is very high. It is an interesting phenomenon.

OhCanadiana

VIP Member
Feb 27, 2010
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Americana In T.O. said:
Epasote is actually quote easy to find in the U.S. in places where there is a large Mexican population (i.e. Chicago and Los Angeles). In Toronto, you could try Tierra Azteca on Bloor and Dufferin. They have a lot of authentic food products, fruits and vegetables from Mexico. They also serve an amazing bowl of Menudo on the weekends!

Tierra Azteca
1115 Bloor St W, Unit 2
Toronto
647-435-4098
That's true - I should have clarified it isn't broadly available :)

Just so we don't all call Tierra Azteca, they don't have any epazote currently. They have dried epazote "cuando nos traen" and "a veces cuando tenemos suerte nos traen fresco pero no recuerdo la última vez que tuvimos"

OhCanadiana

VIP Member
Feb 27, 2010
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
edgarsitow said:
You're not! You're becoming a citizen of the world and don't quite fit in 100% in either place but I choose to think of it as broadening my horizons :) Think of how lucky your kids will be and the flexibility they'll have later in life with bi-cultural and bilingual opportunities.

PS. My pet peeve with this are tick 'tick the box' for your race in the US and definitions that require you to be a US citizen or resident to be considered 'hispanic.' I just want to say other - human :p