+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Marrying a Canadian

mike2007

Oct 28, 2014
Hi,

After nearly 5 years of dating and back and forth between borders my fiance and I are getting married in 2 weeks in Vegas! Her family is going to be there as well as my parents. I'd like to move to Canada with her eventually. I came to this website to ask what I do next. This is our situation :

I live in a border town in WA, she lives across the border in BC. Currently I see her 2 or 3 days a week but I work and live in the USA and I'm employed by a US company, I'm only a US citizen. She is only a Canadian citizen.

I was wondering if she was able to sponsor me through family sponsorship doing the inland method for Canada and if I would be able to move in with her during the long processing time. I would of course not be able to work inside Canada but if I physically move in with her in Canada I was wondering if I could still cross the border for work each day on the USA?

Option 2 is have me continue to live and work in the USA and her apply to sponsor me the Outland method which is shorter. But we can't live together.

I guess my question is will I be able to work in the US during the application for inland or will I not be allowed to leave Canada during that time?

We are almost tempted to have her move to the USA because everything I read is ~5m waiting period for a green card vs 14 months outbound Canada PR and 26 months inbound Canadian PR application. Plus with the USA green card she can live her on a k3 visa while we wait for her green card. Obviously this is the other option if we did have her move to the USA... But if I can live in Canada while working in the USA and waiting for my PR Card id be all for that. Thanks for any help

What is the best way to pursue our ambitions of a life together ASAP?

Ty

canadianwoman

VIP Member
Nov 6, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
Accra, Ghana
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
30-01-2008
Interview........
05-05-2009
Americans are typically getting their PR much faster than 14 months for outland. Some are getting one in as quickly as 5 or 6 months.
If you apply inland, you have to be living in Canada with your sponsor. The processing time is generally much longer, but you can get an open work permit after about 4 months. Note that we usually advise Americans to apply outland, because the whole process will be done in only a month or two longer than it will take to get just the work permit inland. In addition, if you want to leave Canada, outland is preferable: with an inland application, if you leave and are not let back in, the application is over.
If you apply outland, you can still come to Canada to visit. Whether the border agents would let you come in and out of the country every day is another question. You could try it for a while and see what happens. If they finally say no, you would still not have much more time to wait before the outland application would be finalized. In addition, when you are crossing, you should have proof that the PR application has been submitted, and proof of ties to the USA - such as your job. It could work.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Apply outland. You should be done in 4-6 months.

Marlg

Star Member
Aug 6, 2016
Can someone please clarify this for me ... Got approved as sponsor in Early March Fild transferred to Paris , Have known I was able to sponsor since March 4th 2016 Online application status has never changed on either sponsorship side or permanent Resident side since then , Checked a few minutes ago and seen that sponsorship side has changed from in process to Decision Made ! What does this mean , and why would they even update that since I already knew I was able to sponsor !!!!???!!! Huh

Andynd1uk

Star Member
Jan 12, 2016
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
12-05-2016
AOR Received.
01-06-2016
Med's Request
Upfront
Med's Done....
10-03-2016
Passport Req..
29-08-2016
VISA ISSUED...
08-09-2016
LANDED..........
10-09-2016
Marlg said:
Can someone please clarify this for me ... Got approved as sponsor in Early March Fild transferred to Paris , Have known I was able to sponsor since March 4th 2016 Online application status has never changed on either sponsorship side or permanent Resident side since then , Checked a few minutes ago and seen that sponsorship side has changed from in process to Decision Made ! What does this mean , and why would they even update that since I already knew I was able to sponsor !!!!???!!! Huh
The 'Decision Made' is not regarding the decision that you have been approved as a sponsor, it's the the decision relating to your and your spouse's case.

mike2007

Oct 28, 2014
So I appreciate the replies. I'm probably going to just keep living in the US and apply Outland with my wife since that will be the fastest method if it's only 4-6 months, like you've said. Question however, does she apply to be a sponsor first, get a reply, then I apply for my PR card?

CDNPR2014

VIP Member
Mar 1, 2016
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
mike2007 said:
So I appreciate the replies. I'm probably going to just keep living in the US and apply Outland with my wife since that will be the fastest method if it's only 4-6 months, like you've said. Question however, does she apply to be a sponsor first, get a reply, then I apply for my PR card?
both the sponsor's application and the applicant's application get sent TOGETHER to the address in Mississauga listed in the application guide. CIC will process the sponsors' application and will then forward the applicant's application to a visa office for processing. i'd recommend getting familiar with the application guide found on the CIC website.

Marlg

Star Member
Aug 6, 2016
Andynd1uk said:
The 'Decision Made' is not regarding the decision that you have been approved as a sponsor, it's the the decision relating to your and your spouse's case.
. So it means decision made on his permanent residence ? We didn't get anything .. No Interview or additional document request or anything ... So is this good or bad news , and why have we not been notified by our lawyer yet ? I'm so CONFUSED

mike2007

Oct 28, 2014
CDNPR2014 said:
both the sponsor's application and the applicant's application get sent TOGETHER to the address in Mississauga listed in the application guide. CIC will process the sponsors' application and will then forward the applicant's application to a visa office for processing. i'd recommend getting familiar with the application guide found on the CIC website.
Thank you, I have reviewed the website, but I'm sure I'll be re-reading everything about 100 times before actually sending my packet off. So let me ask some questions I have...

We fill out the entire application package for her sponsership, pay fees (from what I'm reading its about $1040 total CAD with her application and my fee portions as well). Do I have to fill out the PR application and combine the two and send them off or do we apply just for the sponsership paperwork (which asks all my info too)?

Thank you..

Ponga

VIP Member
Oct 22, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Marlg said:
You've hijacked the OP's thread, as your question is not relevant to his questions. ;)

CDNPR2014

VIP Member
Mar 1, 2016
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
mike2007 said:
Thank you, I have reviewed the website, but I'm sure I'll be re-reading everything about 100 times before actually sending my packet off. So let me ask some questions I have...

We fill out the entire application package for her sponsership, pay fees (from what I'm reading its about $1040 total CAD with her application and my fee portions as well). Do I have to fill out the PR application and combine the two and send them off or do we apply just for the sponsership paperwork (which asks all my info too)?

Thank you..
EVERYTHING goes in the same package and is mailed to CIC together. yes, this means her sponsorship application package, all receipts and your application package with supporting documents and relationship proof. everything. all together. 1 package.

Ponga

VIP Member
Oct 22, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
mike2007 said:

Thank you..
You send EVERYTHING together in one large envelope, box, or...whatever you need. ;)

1. Sponsor's forms, documents and related items.

2. Applicant's (you) forms, documents and related items.

3. Your evidence of a genuine relationship.

Just follow the instruction guide and the Document Checklists. You do NOT need to send duplicate/redundant documents. If the item is shown on each checklist, just check the box but only include the item once.

Good luck!

Andynd1uk

Star Member
Jan 12, 2016
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
12-05-2016
AOR Received.
01-06-2016
Med's Request
Upfront
Med's Done....
10-03-2016
Passport Req..
29-08-2016
VISA ISSUED...
08-09-2016
LANDED..........
10-09-2016
Marlg said:
. So it means decision made on his permanent residence ? We didn't get anything .. No Interview or additional document request or anything ... So is this good or bad news , and why have we not been notified by our lawyer yet ? I'm so CONFUSED
Could you clarify whether the 'Decision Made' is for the application for permanent residence or otherwise? You're panicking and asking questions only you know the answers to.

Marlg

Star Member
Aug 6, 2016
Decision made appeared on sponsorship side yesterday, it's been processing in Paris since March , no update on Permanant resident side , but we didn't get a additional document request or asked for interview , so I'm confused , seeing someone answered my question and said that it was not a decision made on my sponsorship ,it was decision made on our case , Don't know if this is good or bad , do they deny you without an Interview?