+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Married. Now what?

mike2007

Oct 28, 2014
Hi,

She is a Canadian
I'm American

My wife and I just got married on Wednesday and we picked up two certified copies of our marriage license from the USA where the marriage took place.

About 2 weeks ago before getting married I was planning ahead and I went down to the police station, got my fingerprints taken and I mailed those off along with the money order and application for the FBI to send me my criminal record (or lack thereof).

I have my medical exam in November with the certified doctor from the Canadian government.

I guess our question is should we wait until I get my copies of my medical and FBI fingerprints before filling the Sponsorship Paperwork and my PR paperwork? Then send it all in one large package, her sponsorship paperwork, FBI fingerprints for me, my medical exam copy, and my PR paperwork + all fees. Or should we start to file her sponsorship paperwork and send that off then later send my stuff off? The border agent today said we should get started on her paperwork but I was under the impression that it's best to wait and send all of it in one package.

What do we do now? Thanks so much for any help!

profiler

VIP Member
Aug 10, 2016
Category........
Visa Office......
CPC-Mississauga
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
02-MAR-2016
AOR Received.
13-MAY-2016
IELTS Request
Upfront
Med's Request
Upfront; Passed
Interview........
Waived
LANDED..........
05-MAY-2017
mike2007 said:
Hi,

She is a Canadian
I'm American

My wife and I just got married on Wednesday and we picked up two certified copies of our marriage license from the USA where the marriage took place.

About 2 weeks ago before getting married I was planning ahead and I went down to the police station, got my fingerprints taken and I mailed those off along with the money order and application for the FBI to send me my criminal record (or lack thereof).

I have my medical exam in November with the certified doctor from the Canadian government.

I guess our question is should we wait until I get my copies of my medical and FBI fingerprints before filling the Sponsorship Paperwork and my PR paperwork? Then send it all in one large package, her sponsorship paperwork, FBI fingerprints for me, my medical exam copy, and my PR paperwork + all fees. Or should we start to file her sponsorship paperwork and send that off then later send my stuff off? The border agent today said we should get started on her paperwork but I was under the impression that it's best to wait and send all of it in one package.

What do we do now? Thanks so much for any help!
If you look at the Document Checklist (you have to submit that when you file or they will return your package) all the PR and Sponsor docs and application paperwork is required together.

EDIT: you can find the forms here: http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/applications/fc.asp .

The Checklist is under part 1.

mike2007

Oct 28, 2014
Thank you for your reply. So we need to file everything together and submit. I thought so, not sure why the border agent said to start and file hers first. Didn't make much sense. So I have to wait until I get my Fbi fingerprints back before really doing anything then huh?

profiler

VIP Member
Aug 10, 2016
Category........
Visa Office......
CPC-Mississauga
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
02-MAR-2016
AOR Received.
13-MAY-2016
IELTS Request
Upfront
Med's Request
Upfront; Passed
Interview........
Waived
LANDED..........
05-MAY-2017
mike2007 said:
Thank you for your reply. So we need to file everything together and submit. I thought so, not sure why the border agent said to start and file hers first. Didn't make much sense. So I have to wait until I get my Fbi fingerprints back before really doing anything then huh?
Of course I will defer to anyone who has actually done an outland US application on this.. we are working our way through an inland Russian application currently. That said, we seem to have gotten this far with very little problem... so take my advice with a grain..

Ok, you probably should wait for the FBI. BUT. The theory is, you could submit you application with a receipt to show you have applied for the FBI certificate, and a promise to send that via courier to CIC when it arrives. Or not send anything at all WRT PCC's and they will just request them. Either scenario does work in practice. It could delay your processing a little, but that's kind of what you want, right?

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
mike2007 said:
You can submit your app without the FBI cert. Include a letter of explanation and proof that you have applied for it.

If you aren't bothered about spending extra money, you could apply for the FBI cert through a channeller. It only takes a few days to receive it.

mike2007

Oct 28, 2014
We are in no rush so I think we will wait until the FBI fingerprints come back. There is no time frame from when you apply vs when you got married right? My lease isn't up in the states until next year around August anyway so we have plenty of time before I actually expect to move in and get my PR card. I don't want any delays or any problems that's all. Besides I don't have proof other than my money order I received when submitting my application and mailing it. The police station I got my fingerprints at didn't really give me anything and I printed the fbi application from their website.

Secondly, the application for sponsorship isn't working on the website. It appears the PDF file is broken. I tried to update my Adobe to no avail. All other PDF work, any idea?

Last question. My wife lived in New Zealand with her ex boyfriend about 6 years ago on a work visa but had no lease or address in her name, she doesn't remember the address at all. It asks if she ever lived outside of Canada and to list the addresses. She has the name, proof of her visa and employment and all that but forgets her ex boyfriends address she lived at. They didn't do any previous sponsorship stuff she was just there on a work visa and lived in his apartment with him. Should this be of concern?

profiler

VIP Member
Aug 10, 2016
Category........
Visa Office......
CPC-Mississauga
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
02-MAR-2016
AOR Received.
13-MAY-2016
IELTS Request
Upfront
Med's Request
Upfront; Passed
Interview........
Waived
LANDED..........
05-MAY-2017
mike2007 said:
Secondly, the application for sponsorship isn't working on the website. It appears the PDF file is broken. I tried to update my Adobe to no avail. All other PDF work, any idea?
Save them to your computer, then try opening them.

To your other two queries, I have to defer to other members here.

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
mike2007 said:
Last question. My wife lived in New Zealand with her ex boyfriend about 6 years ago on a work visa but had no lease or address in her name, she doesn't remember the address at all. It asks if she ever lived outside of Canada and to list the addresses. She has the name, proof of her visa and employment and all that but forgets her ex boyfriends address she lived at. They didn't do any previous sponsorship stuff she was just there on a work visa and lived in his apartment with him. Should this be of concern?
I also had many addresses in several different countries. Does she not recall anything of the address, at least the street? Does she have old tax documents or anything like that? Bank statements? Can she ask the ex?

If she tries and honestly can't get the info, then she needs to put what she knows and explain on a separate sheet. It will not be an issue.

mike2007

Oct 28, 2014
Thanks for the replies. No she nor her parents don't have the address or street. We can explain on a separate sheet of paper I suppose. Nothing was in her name as far as lease or anything like that. We can try to see if her old bank account she had there had any address so thanks for that idea. Like I said we have her visa paperwork and plane tickets showing she came back into Canada since.

I was told 14 weeks roughly for the FBI stuff. If we wait 14 weeks until filing is that okay or is there a time frame you generally want to file in after being married?

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
prvc said:
Hi, Canuck! Would they contact your previous addresses? I used to live with an aunt and right now things aren't in harmony between my family and hers. And I put her address on my forms because I lived with her and used her address for primary transactions (banking, ids, medical info, etc.). Do I have to inform her that someone or CIC will do a background check and confirm I used to live there? I just wanna give her a heads up though. Thanks! :)
No, they will not contact previous addresses.

mike2007 said:
Thanks for the replies. No she nor her parents don't have the address or street. We can explain on a separate sheet of paper I suppose. Nothing was in her name as far as lease or anything like that. We can try to see if her old bank account she had there had any address so thanks for that idea. Like I said we have her visa paperwork and plane tickets showing she came back into Canada since.

I was told 14 weeks roughly for the FBI stuff. If we wait 14 weeks until filing is that okay or is there a time frame you generally want to file in after being married?
You can apply 14 years after getting married. It doesn't matter.

mike2007

Oct 28, 2014
Thank you! Also we will try and contact her employer from NZ and bank and see if we can get the address