+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Marriage was really quick, issue?

super11

Nov 18, 2011
Hello,

Recently me and my wife got married. We are both full time school and full time work and really did not have much money or time to do much with our wedding. we are much more interested in saving our money to buy a house together rather than put it all into a 30,000$ ceremony. Plus, our wedding was short and simple and we had our two witnesses and that is all for who attended. In the future, when I am living with her in canada is when we plan on going on a honeymoon together. it's much cheaper to fly out together rather than separately.

Can this be an issue with our application? our relationship is incredibly genuine and I have loads of evidence of us talking daily for hours as well as visiting each other nearly 6 times a year. I'd hate for it to appear as though our relationship is not genuine because our wedding was short and sweet.

all replies are appreciated. thank you

Pummelchen

Star Member
Jun 24, 2011
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
My wedding was very simple, too, pretty much the minimum due to both parents living far away and lack of finance. We send our sponsorship application a couple of months later. I guess if you would send out the sponsorship application next day after marriage it would look a bit strange. ::)

However I visited my wife in Canada three times before we decided to marry. Takes time to make such a decision. Those who marry on first visit and push out the sponsorship quick can get into trouble.

mroliveland

Star Member
Mar 7, 2012
One cannot judge on a sponsorship application based on number of visits, size of the wedding party or timing of the sponsorship application. It has to do with many factors...mainly how the relationship evolved and how it is continuing...financial relationships and compatibility between the two spouses are also strong factors to be considered..Do not put much weight on one weak area on your application...

Reactions: canadiangirl88

Isometry

Aug 18, 2011
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo-->Seattle
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Oct 28 2011
File Transfer...
Jan 9 2012-->Feb 9 2012
Med's Done....
Sept 19 2011
Passport Req..
March 21 2012
VISA ISSUED...
April 21 2012
LANDED..........
May 17th 2012
My wedding took less than half an hour, it was done in the marriage commissioner's basement with two witnesses.

In our application we briefly explained our reasons for this--neither of us likes big ceremonies, we're non-religious, and we wanted to avoid the time, expense, and hassle involved with flying family to one place from three countries (Canada, Trinidad, America) and some number of US states (5 states maybe? I think at the time it was New York, Florida, Hawaii, North Carolina, Georgia). And that just would have been parents, grandparents, and siblings, which IMO is the minimum if you're going to have an actual wedding-type wedding. And some of those people don't have passports.

We also haven't had a honeymoon yet, and are planning to do that at some point after I've moved up.

Everything's supposed to be taken together with your application. Doing the wedding the way you did, especially if you explain your reasons, shouldn't cause a problem. It might be more of a red flag if you also didn't visit or communicate much.

Mrslwsn

Oct 7, 2010
Toronto/Mobay
Category........
Visa Office......
Kingston, Jamaica
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
24-11-2011
AOR Received.
neva yet
File Transfer...
25-01-2012
Med's Done....
26-10-2011
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
14-03-12
VISA ISSUED...
31-03-12
LANDED..........
29-04-2012
My wedding was bigger than that but my children didnt attend due to financial reasons and we only had 2 ppl that flew from Canada and I also was worried this may have negative effect on application but it didnt at all. So as long as the explanation makes sense I doubt its an issue.

KangaRuthie

Mar 15, 2012
I recently read on another forum (a story from a former CIC employee), that even though one couple had a huge wedding with all the bells & whistles, family etc..., the visa was denied because they could tell it was an arranged marriage/marriage of convenience.
This is not to make you worry, this is to point out the fact that they will be able to determine from your photo's, and other evidence that your marriage/relationship is genuine.

My partner and I will be getting married in 4 weeks at City Hall in Toronto. It won't be big, it won't be flash, but it is what we can afford and my family won't be there.

Zouk Princesse

Aug 28, 2011
Category........
Visa Office......
POS
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
14-Nov-2011
File Transfer...
17-Jan-2012
Med's Request
VO requested med certificate extension from Ottawa 24-Jul-2012
Med's Done....
16-Jul-2011
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
24-Jul-2012
VISA ISSUED...
17-Sep-2012
LANDED..........
27-Sep-2012
To the OP, your explanation is quite valid, smart even. Any reasonable person would understand. Just make sure to include this explanation with your application. Your could address it up front in your cover letter, or include it in that box question asking for "additional details"