+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Manila Tread for English Speakers - join here!

Steph C

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
Manila
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
April 30 2012
Doc's Request.
N/A
File Transfer...
Sep 27 2012
Med's Request
April 15 2013 (re-med)
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
March 18 2013
VISA ISSUED...
May 22 2013
LANDED..........
June 6 2013
CanadianJeepGuy said:
What day did you go? Was it a Canada Post retail outlet? End of day across the country is 5pm sharp. It has been that way for over 50 years. If you hold back the pick up that delays the truck returning to offload the mail which in turn delays the induction and loading of the outgoing mail across the country. If you are living in a major city with traffic problems this compounds the logistics even more.
You are more than welcome to use FedEx or UPS but it will cost you 40% more and the items won't arrive at their destination any faster.
Oh okay.. it was the main post office downtown. I didn't really care if the parcels went out on that day.. it's hard enough to get time to go there when they close at 5 so I was just happy to make it down there in time :D almost...

CanadianJeepGuy

Champion Member
Jun 24, 2012
Winnipeg, Manitoba
Category........
Visa Office......
Manila
NOC Code......
N/A
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
10-05-2012; "In Process" 26-04-2013
Doc's Request.
docs and pics resent 04-09-2012
AOR Received.
16-08-2012 (Unofficial. Received email missing docs)
File Transfer...
09-10-2012
Med's Request
April 14th 2013
Med's Done....
Dec 2011; re-med May 06 2013
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
May 06 2013
VISA ISSUED...
May 27 2013
LANDED..........
June 15th 2013
Steph C said:
Oh okay.. it was the main post office downtown. I didn't really care if the parcels went out on that day.. it's hard enough to get time to go there when they close at 5 so I was just happy to make it down there in time :D almost...
Those CPC retail outlets are fixed to a schedule. Most are under staffed now since they are trying to do away with corporate retail outlets preferring to go the cheap route and contract out those positions to pharmacy chains like Shoppers. I would bet a weeks wage that there were only 2 clerks working and both probably went the whole day without taking their full lunchtime or breaks. Any overtime they would not be paid for.
Postal workers aren't lazy people. I walk 10kms everyday regardless of the weather and am forced into 2.5hours of overtime everyday (which is and additional 4kms) because the Corporation does not want to hire anyone to cover for illnesses or vacations. I walked so much this winter through unploughed sidewalks and streets that it broke 2 bones in my foot. I worked with it broken for 3 days until it was so swollen that I couldn't get my boot on in the morning. I've been home with my foot elevated and on a steady stream of ibuprofin for the last 2 weeks.....and I am one of many postal workers who are injured just from doing their job.
If you are lazy you will not last at Canada Post unless you apply as management.

CanadianJeepGuy

Champion Member
Jun 24, 2012
Winnipeg, Manitoba
Category........
Visa Office......
Manila
NOC Code......
N/A
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Doc's Request.
AOR Received.
File Transfer...
09-10-2012
Med's Request
April 14th 2013
Med's Done....
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
May 06 2013
VISA ISSUED...
May 27 2013
LANDED..........
June 15th 2013
Dan_from_Surrey said:
I have to side with canadianjeepguy here, I too am an organized worker, and activist with our union, besides sitting on the exec of our local, and a several other hats within our local union.

I to support or brothers and sisters in their struggle for fairness, regardless of where they are posted the same job should be worth the same money, no other factors with standing be they sex, age, location, race, religion etc. If the Federal government can do this to "their" people, then un-organized workers should brave to have to done to them two fold at the least.

Union soapbox aside, most of the incompetence we are discussing is driven from the top down, in a race to fix quotas and stats, to reflect better on managers and ministers. One thing to keep in mind. When things are good, the minister is a hero, when the department is in the crapper heads roll. And seldom is it the execs, that feel it.

So I will continue to be paitient for the time being at least. But I do reserve the right to piss and moan and *censored word* and point the stink finger of blame at will, they took my cash, that is an acceptance of a contract to perform a service within an allocated time, in a (semi) efficient manner. So as far as I am concerned, not only am I a natural citizen of this country with that right, more importantly I am a paying customer.
^^^^^^Completely correct statement.

If you like your 2 day weekend, stat holidays, minimum wage legislation, employment benefits, paid holiday etc. Thank a union.

jarry96

Star Member
Jan 16, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
Manila
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
July 17, 2012
AOR Received.
October 3, 2012
File Transfer...
October 4, 2012
Med's Done....
July 4, 2012
Passport Req..
April 26, 2013
VISA ISSUED...
April 29, 2013
If I may speak, my point is unions went too far with their power in Canada up until a decade ago. You cannot compare Canada to the Philippines. In the Philippines business has all the power; in Canada, until recently, labour had too much power; in the United States it is the Consumer who has the power. The Consumer includes Everyone. When the Consumer is King everyone is better off.

Dan_from_Surrey

Nov 5, 2010
Surrey BC
Category........
Visa Office......
Manila
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
19-09-2012
Doc's Request.
Submitted with app
AOR Received.
Sponsorship approval 24-10-12
File Transfer...
24-10-12
Med's Request
Meds received 1-11-12
Med's Done....
15-08-2012 - Meds re-done 24-10-2013
Interview........
NA
Passport Req..
04-06-2013 DM 04-11-13
VISA ISSUED...
11-12-2013
LANDED..........
22-11-2013!
jarry96 said:
If I may speak, my point is unions went too far with their power in Canada up until a decade ago. You cannot compare Canada to the Philippines. In the Philippines business has all the power; in Canada, until recently, labour had too much power; in the United States it is the Consumer who has the power. The Consumer includes Everyone. When the Consumer is King everyone is better off.
I suggest you educate yourself in what is happening in states like Wisconsin, then come back and tell me the consumer is king. Right now your buddies in Big Business, and the state government are trying hard to turn that state into a third world. So when they can roll back wages and benefits a decade, there is no more consumers. I won't get into the shining lights of capitalism such as Walmart, or this side of the border Loblaws. I also suggest you take a look for a movie called "The high price of being low cost"

I have no problem with people making as many billions as they can, if that is what drives them then be happy with it. But I do have a problem when Multi National corporations put our country into a strangle hold, and we pay for it. Several times over (read up on CETA and freedtrade) and all the good that has done for us.

jarry96

Star Member
Jan 16, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
Manila
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
July 17, 2012
AOR Received.
October 3, 2012
File Transfer...
October 4, 2012
Med's Done....
July 4, 2012
Passport Req..
April 26, 2013
VISA ISSUED...
April 29, 2013
Dan_from_Surrey said:
I suggest you educate yourself I had not realized that I was uneducated until you just informed me; thank you for the succinct advice

your buddies in Big Business, first you assumed I was a Filipino, now you assume I am a businessman. I am neither and I speak from an impartial stand.

Just take a minute and think about what I said: if the Consumer is the prime power holder, Everyone benefits as a group.

We can't have small groups fighting each other and all win; it is wise to fight together for a more prosperous world.

Tagum-N.B.

Champion Member
Jan 11, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
manila
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
11-01-2012
AOR Received.
manila 20-03-2012 in process july1, 2013
IELTS Request
remeds request july11 remed complete july17-aug 1
VISA ISSUED...
AUGUST 31.2013
LANDED..........
SEPTEMBER 25, 2013
Steph C said:
Then there's the BC ferries :-X
8) 8) 8) WELL I DONT KNOW WHERE ALL THESE TOPICS ARE GOING (UNIONS POSTAL SERVICE) :p :p BUT I DO KNOW THE POSTAL SERVICE IN CANADA HAS TREATED ME BETTER THAN THE POSTAL SERVICE IN THE PHILS, EVEN IF ITS ONLY (bills) i receive here :p :p :p :p

Tagum-N.B.

Champion Member
Jan 11, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
manila
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
11-01-2012
AOR Received.
manila 20-03-2012 in process july1, 2013
IELTS Request
remeds request july11 remed complete july17-aug 1
VISA ISSUED...
AUGUST 31.2013
LANDED..........
SEPTEMBER 25, 2013
Tagum-N.B. said:
8) 8) 8) WELL I DONT KNOW WHERE ALL THESE TOPICS ARE GOING (UNIONS POSTAL SERVICE) :p :p BUT I DO KNOW THE POSTAL SERVICE IN CANADA HAS TREATED ME BETTER THAN THE POSTAL SERVICE IN THE PHILS, EVEN IF ITS ONLY (bills) i receive here :p :p :p :p
I once sent a package to my gf in phils, i ended up visiting her twice more b4 she received the package, sept to june for her to receive it through the postal system :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

CanadianJeepGuy

Champion Member
Jun 24, 2012
Winnipeg, Manitoba
Category........
Visa Office......
Manila
NOC Code......
N/A
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Doc's Request.
AOR Received.
File Transfer...
09-10-2012
Med's Request
April 14th 2013
Med's Done....
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
May 06 2013
VISA ISSUED...
May 27 2013
LANDED..........
June 15th 2013
jarry96 said:
The consumer is not king thanks to corporations which collude and fix pricing as opposed to allow a true free market economy. The consumer is simply a domesticated animal as corprations are legally able to use their great wealth to direct both domestic and foreign policies which remove power and democracy from the hands of the people.
As long as corporations exist the need for unions has never been greater.

Steph C

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
Manila
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
April 30 2012
Doc's Request.
N/A
File Transfer...
Sep 27 2012
Med's Request
April 15 2013 (re-med)
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
March 18 2013
VISA ISSUED...
May 22 2013
LANDED..........
June 6 2013
Tagum-N.B. said:
I once sent a package to my gf in phils, i ended up visiting her twice more b4 she received the package, sept to june for her to receive it through the postal system :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:
Actually I figured out a sure way to make $100. About 2 years ago I found a free cell phone on the neighbour's free pile. Not one to miss a good free pile, I took it and my partner asked me to mail it there for him or his mom or whoever. So I stuck it in an envelope and mailed it via Canada Post, it came with $100 insurance on the package. Sure enough, the parcel was tracked to the Philippines and then disappeared - no doubt stolen once there. I eventually filed a claim and got $100 refund, not bad for something that was free! I think he was more excited about the $100 refund then the phone. Mail another one! he said. lol.

Anyways CJG, about the post office closing at 5 - it's common sense that if you have a business that cuts off at 5pm the employees would work until at least 5:15 or 5:30 to close the store for the day. I wouldn't assume that the employees would also stop work at 5, that just wouldn't make any sense. Every store has things they have to do to shut down properly. Also, the place isn't that busy as nobody likes to pay for parking. Many people work through lunch, I did yesterday, it's just the reality of having a job. I don't get paid any more per hour for overtime, weekends, or Stats. The idea of being disgruntled for not getting those things is totally foreign to me. I'm not accusing them of being lazy - we all had a long day. I'm just surprised by their comments. They were very friendly and nice by the way. I'm just used to businesses that actually want my business. In this case I can compare them to CIC.

scos

Champion Member
Jun 11, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
Manila
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
2012-08-01
AOR Received.
2012-10-16
Med's Request
2013-05-02
Med's Done....
2013-05-07
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
2013-05-02, In-Process: 2013-06-04, Decision Made: 2013-07-25
VISA ISSUED...
2013-07-30
LANDED..........
2013-08-18
jarry96 said:
Wow, what planet do you live on? Your statement that "consumer is king" MAY have been more applicable back in the 70's and 80's when people like Ralph Nader and others went after big business on behalf of the consumer. But those days are long over. The consumer today is a joke. Corporations lie to you about everything with the blessing of the government. Do you realize in the latest emergency funding bill in the US they snuck in a provision allowing GMO crops to be sold even if there are lawsuits pending regarding their safety? Do you know how hard it is to know what you are eating or drinking because business lobbies government to make sure they don't have to print it on the labels? Do you know that various food programs like school lunches and others are used as dumping grounds for cheap, GMO food? Do you realize that "voting with your pocketbook" (which was supposed to be the ultimate democracy) is impossible when major corporations and government determine what options you may pick from? It is kind of like the old Ford saying "Any color you want as long as its black".

So no, consumers are not king. Labor is not king. Right now it is big business and their government servants. Look at how Canada's reputation in the world has fallen on almost every front. Big business is getting its way in our foreign policy, our environmental policy, our agricultural policy, our food and drug safety policy and even our immigration policy! You can thank Harper for that.

CanadianJeepGuy

Champion Member
Jun 24, 2012
Winnipeg, Manitoba
Category........
Visa Office......
Manila
NOC Code......
N/A
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Doc's Request.
AOR Received.
File Transfer...
09-10-2012
Med's Request
April 14th 2013
Med's Done....
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
May 06 2013
VISA ISSUED...
May 27 2013
LANDED..........
June 15th 2013
Steph C said:
Actually I figured out a sure way to make $100. About 2 years ago I found a free cell phone on the neighbour's free pile. Not one to miss a good free pile, I took it and my partner asked me to mail it there for him or his mom or whoever. So I stuck it in an envelope and mailed it via Canada Post, it came with $100 insurance on the package. Sure enough, the parcel was tracked to the Philippines and then disappeared - no doubt stolen once there. I eventually filed a claim and got $100 refund, not bad for something that was free! I think he was more excited about the $100 refund then the phone. Mail another one! he said. lol.
LOL. Going to have to try that one myself.

Steph C said:
Anyways CJG, about the post office closing at 5 - it's common sense that if you have a business that cuts off at 5pm the employees would work until at least 5:15 or 5:30 to close the store for the day. I wouldn't assume that the employees would also stop work at 5, that just wouldn't make any sense. Every store has things they have to do to shut down properly. Also, the place isn't that busy as nobody likes to pay for parking. Many people work through lunch, I did yesterday, it's just the reality of having a job. I don't get paid any more per hour for overtime, weekends, or Stats. The idea of being disgruntled for not getting those things is totally foreign to me. I'm not accusing them of being lazy - we all had a long day. I'm just surprised by their comments. They were very friendly and nice by the way. I'm just used to businesses that actually want my business. In this case I can compare them to CIC.
The post office closes at 5pm. That means they close at 5pm. The end of day pickup is at 5pm not 5:15 or 5:30. If you show up at 4:59 that does not mean that you get to hold up the mail because you cannot organize yourself to get to the post office in a reasonable time. Its not that they do not want your business.

If there are closing duties beyond 5pm then they would be duties that don't include serving the public. CPC employees have a collective agreement to make sure they are treated fairly. If lunches and breaks are a mutally accepted condition of employment then they have to be honoured. If you choose to work through yours that is a condition of your employment not ours. If you don't get paid for your overtime and aren't self employed than you are letting your employer get your labour for free.

Steph C

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
Manila
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
April 30 2012
Doc's Request.
N/A
File Transfer...
Sep 27 2012
Med's Request
April 15 2013 (re-med)
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
March 18 2013
VISA ISSUED...
May 22 2013
LANDED..........
June 6 2013
So my point being if they close at 5 then why even let people in? Why not shut the door at 4:45. That's the part that makes no sense. It sounds awfully military! I didn't know the whole mail system was riding on a 5pm sharp deadline.. lol. When I sent out our application I must have also been close to that deadline. They were actually nice enough to hold the truck and I carried it out to the driver and watched my application drive away. I wasn't expecting that nice service at all.. the same the other day. It's not an act of laziness getting to the post office at 5pm. Most people work 9-5 and although I'm not held strictly to those hours it's often the case for me as well.

Sure, I'm self employed and I love it. But it does mean that my personal name and reputation are on the line for good results and accurate deadlines. It means no union hours or benefits at all. And no colleague has the right to tell me what to charge or how to conduct my business, as much as they would love to. And it's exactly what I signed up for. I love it and I work my butt off.. there's nothing better then being able to be totally self sufficient and proud of your work.

scos

Champion Member
Jun 11, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
Manila
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
2012-08-01
AOR Received.
2012-10-16
Med's Request
2013-05-02
Med's Done....
2013-05-07
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
2013-05-02, In-Process: 2013-06-04, Decision Made: 2013-07-25
VISA ISSUED...
2013-07-30
LANDED..........
2013-08-18
Steph C said:
So my point being if they close at 5 then why even let people in? Why not shut the door at 4:45. That's the part that makes no sense. It sounds awfully military! I didn't know the whole mail system was riding on a 5pm sharp deadline.. lol. When I sent out our application I must have also been close to that deadline. They were actually nice enough to hold the truck and I carried it out to the driver and watched my application drive away. I wasn't expecting that nice service at all.. the same the other day. It's not an act of laziness getting to the post office at 5pm. Most people work 9-5 and although I'm not held strictly to those hours it's often the case for me as well.

Sure, I'm self employed and I love it. But it does mean that my personal name and reputation are on the line for good results and accurate deadlines. It means no union hours or benefits at all. And no colleague has the right to tell me what to charge or how to conduct my business, as much as they would love to. And it's exactly what I signed up for. I love it and I work my butt off.. there's nothing better then being able to be totally self sufficient and proud of your work.
They stay open so people can buy stamps, pickup packages, and do other things not dependent on the delivery or pickup times.

Haven't you ever worked at a company with a mailroom? Usually there is a set courier pickup time and almost always there is someone wanting to hold the truck because they put off getting their package ready in plenty of time. But you know what? The couriers won't wait either. If you miss it that is too bad, they have a schedule. Yet we praise the courier for prompt delivery and demonize the post office for being picky.

I always enjoy watching the mad scramble that comes with the PA announcement that the courier pickup has arrived. ;D

Steph C

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
Manila
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
April 30 2012
Doc's Request.
N/A
File Transfer...
Sep 27 2012
Med's Request
April 15 2013 (re-med)
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
March 18 2013
VISA ISSUED...
May 22 2013
LANDED..........
June 6 2013
scos said:
They stay open so people can buy stamps, pickup packages, and do other things not dependent on the delivery or pickup times.

Haven't you ever worked at a company with a mailroom? Usually there is a set courier pickup time and almost always there is someone wanting to hold the truck because they put off getting their package ready in plenty of time. But you know what? The couriers won't wait either. If you miss it that is too bad, they have a schedule. Yet we praise the courier for prompt delivery and demonize the post office for being picky.

I always enjoy watching the mad scramble that comes with the PA announcement that the courier pickup has arrived. ;D
No, I guess I never have! My only 'real' land jobs were in restaurants and cafes when I was in my late teens :D followed up with 10 years on a big floating kind of hotel ;) No mail out there :D