+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Lost PR card after 7 months became, cannot submit application online because residency obligation.

momokoo

May 3, 2024
Hello, thanks for helping me out first.

I became PR get my first PR card get my 1st PR card at June 2023, but at March 2024, I lost my card during a moving.

when I fill out IM5444, it asked me when I became PR, after I type in June 2023, it shows "Please validate this date is correct as it has implications within the “5. Residency Obligation - Time Spent Outside Canada“ section of the webform. " And the button for save and continue is gray, I cant save and completed this form, cant submit the form either.

I tried to contact IRCC for half a month by phone and web form, 2 weeks passed, no response.

any suggestion? Thank you

update: I do lived Canada for the past 5 yrs since I had a work permit. so choose yes wont let me save and continue.

Last edited:

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
Try removing the text from Humanitarian and compassionate grounds - leave it blank. You should NOT fill in this box unless you have been out of Canada > 1095 days. (You ahve not since you became a PR less than a year ago)

momokoo

May 3, 2024
Try removing the text from Humanitarian and compassionate grounds - leave it blank. You should NOT fill in this box unless you have been out of Canada > 1095 days. (You ahve not since you became a PR less than a year ago)
Thank you, but I tried leave it blank and its till the same. and this time the button somehow become save and continue.

and I go back checked every * question in case I missed. but every question I already filled in.

the only question have red alert is the date become PR

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
Sorry, don't know for sure.

The one thing that seems possible to try is 'have you travelled or lived outside Canada in the past five years' - try putting that as yes and see if it allows you to proceed. (Because you presumably did, before you became a PR)

It's harder for those without an applicaiton in process to test the online versions compared to forms.

Reactions: Ponga

Ponga

VIP Member
Oct 22, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..

The one thing that seems possible to try is 'have you travelled or lived outside Canada in the past five years' - try putting that as yes and see if it allows you to proceed. (Because you presumably did, before you became a PR)

It's harder for those without an applicaiton in process to test the online versions compared to forms.
Excellent suggestion! I suspect the OP did in fact 'travel or live outside Canada' since 2019.

momokoo

May 3, 2024

Thank you for the help, but I lived Canada for the past 5 years while I had a working permit.

if I can't submit online, I think the only way for me is mail it.

I have one more question, in the checklist for mail, there is require for a proof of I meet the resident obligation

in my case, do I meet the resident obligation? I lived canada for the past 5 years, but Its only 10 months since I become PR.

Ponga

VIP Member
Oct 22, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Thank you for the help, but I lived Canada for the past 5 years while I had a working permit.

if I can't submit online, I think the only way for me is mail it.

I have one more question, in the checklist for mail, there is require for a proof of I meet the resident obligation

in my case, do I meet the resident obligation? I lived canada for the past 5 years, but Its only 10 months since I become PR.
Any days in Canada before the date that you became a PR (not the date you received your PR card) are not relevant to the PR R.O.

You have not met the Residency Obligation because you have only been a PR for less than 1 year. You are `in compliance' [automatically] for the first three years, even if you had left Canada the day after you became a PR.

ALL applications for a renewed or replaced PR Card must include 2 pieces of evidence from Appendix A. This does NOT mean 5 years of evidence, only two pieces (ideally from different time periods) from, in your case, the last year since becoming a PR.

Did you report to IRCC that your card was lost? That is a requirement.

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
Thank you so much. but I choose No because I did live at Canada for the past 5 yrs while I hd my work permit.
Fair enough, i'm just trying to understand why the form won't let you go further. Stumped.

You really didn't leave Canada once in the last five years?

momokoo

May 3, 2024
Fair enough, i'm just trying to understand why the form won't let you go further. Stumped.

You really didn't leave Canada once in the last five years?
Thahnk you for help! I found out why! Its system technical error.

I clear everything at form and start over again (which I did before but won't work), but today somehow it works.o_O

Reactions: armoured

momokoo

May 3, 2024
Any days in Canada before the date that you became a PR (not the date you received your PR card) are not relevant to the PR R.O.

You have not met the Residency Obligation because you have only been a PR for less than 1 year. You are `in compliance' [automatically] for the first three years, even if you had left Canada the day after you became a PR.

ALL applications for a renewed or replaced PR Card must include 2 pieces of evidence from Appendix A. This does NOT mean 5 years of evidence, only two pieces (ideally from different time periods) from, in your case, the last year since becoming a PR.

Did you report to IRCC that your card was lost? That is a requirement.
Thank you so much. because I was worry about I because I become PR less than 1 year, so I didnt met the obligation and they will cancel my PR.

and I found out my problem is due to the system error. I clear all info at that form and start over again, somehow it works and let me save.

Thank you again and have a nice weekend

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
Thank you so much. because I was worry about I because I become PR less than 1 year, so I didnt met the obligation and they will cancel my PR.
For future reference, simple (easiest) way to calculate is days OUTSIDE of Canada in last either five years or since day of landing (whichever is less) should be less than 1095 days; if less than 1095 days outside, you are in compliance.

This is why @Ponga said you are in compliance - you've been a PR for less than 1095 days so you mathematically cannot be out of compliance with the RO.

Reactions: YVR123