+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Los Angeles Visa Office Applicants Check in here! :)

computergeek

VIP Member
Jan 31, 2012
Vancouver BC
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-O/LA
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-03-2012
AOR Received.
21-06-2012
File Transfer...
21-6-2012
Med's Done....
11-02-2012
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
26-09-2012
VISA ISSUED...
10-10-2012
LANDED..........
13-10-2012
moochops said:
I again appreciate that they tried in some way to circumvent this with the extension of 3ish months to medicals - however when they have their weekly meetings you would think someone would bring up the fact that "um we seem to be about 6 months behind at the minute so extensions are proving a bit futile".
In all fairness, the extension is a year, not 3 months - it just has to be done within 3 months of the original medical opinion expiring (e.g., 15 months of the original examination date). Plus it is discretionary. I can understand why people get frustrated when they're on their third set of medicals though.

moochops said:
I dunno, just mulling things over really, as my hubby says "work smarter not harder". !
Aha! You've hit it. The problem is that they're outsourcing everything to a company that gets paid by the hour. Thus, the goal isn't to do this efficiently, but to maximize the number of hours. MUCH smarter for the outsourcing company.

If they outsourced to a company that got paid by the application, processing time would drop to a couple of hours though as they'd let anyone in. :(

simb

Apr 15, 2012
Ontario
Visa Office......
Mississauga
parker24 said:
100% agree. Thing is, with spousal immigration, the SPOUSE can vote. So you'd think they would clue in to that. If Jason Kenney (current Immigration Minister) puts his hat in for leadership of Conservative party, I can pretty much guarantee you that everyone in my family will be saying HELL NO! My entire family feels so bad that my husband is STILL waiting. My grandmother, at 72 years old, said that the government is filled with chickens with their heads cut off. Perfect analogy in my point of view.

Come on CIC :(
hahaha
i agree

scottandlisag

Star Member
May 16, 2012
Ontario
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-O---> Los Angeles
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
26-03-2012
File Transfer...
10-07-2012
Med's Request
20-06-2012
Med's Done....
23-06-2012
Passport Req..
19-11-2012
LANDED..........
14-12-2012 <3
parker24 said:
100% agree. Thing is, with spousal immigration, the SPOUSE can vote. So you'd think they would clue in to that. If Jason Kenney (current Immigration Minister) puts his hat in for leadership of Conservative party, I can pretty much guarantee you that everyone in my family will be saying HELL NO! My entire family feels so bad that my husband is STILL waiting. My grandmother, at 72 years old, said that the government is filled with chickens with their heads cut off. Perfect analogy in my point of view.

Come on CIC :(
That was my first reaction too Parker24... I vote, I pay taxes and once my hubby has his PR he will pay taxes as well!!!! Your family isn't the only ones who are receiving exposure to this side of our Government. Everyone who asks me if we've "heard anything" is outraged that our lives are on hold waiting for the next Agent to decide to pick up our file... and that's all it is to them, a file, a day at work.

computergeek

VIP Member
Jan 31, 2012
Vancouver BC
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-O/LA
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-03-2012
AOR Received.
21-06-2012
File Transfer...
21-6-2012
Med's Done....
11-02-2012
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
26-09-2012
VISA ISSUED...
10-10-2012
LANDED..........
13-10-2012
scottandlisag said:
and that's all it is to them, a file, a day at work.
If it weren't just another day at work, it would eat them alive. I've read a lot of JR cases, and in many cases they're sad - people are refused permission to stay, knowing they will likely be tortured or killed when they get home. Or in the case of the US refugees, they'll just be incarcerated for the rest of their lives to punish them for disagreeing with the US government.

moochops

Aug 13, 2011
Alberta
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
09-06-2011
Doc's Request.
06-01-2012
AOR Received.
24-08-2011
File Transfer...
09-08-2011
Med's Request
new request 19-12-2012
Med's Done....
24-10-2010 / 16-01-2013
Interview........
waived
scottandlisag said:
That was my first reaction too Parker24... I vote, I pay taxes and once my hubby has his PR he will pay taxes as well!!!! Your family isn't the only ones who are receiving exposure to this side of our Government. Everyone who asks me if we've "heard anything" is outraged that our lives are on hold waiting for the next Agent to decide to pick up our file... and that's all it is to them, a file, a day at work.
Believe you me I know that response, what makes it worse is that you always get "friends of friends" who know someone else who's "just gone through this and it only took 6 months".

So then all eyes turn to you as if you're either A) lying about timescales so you can sit on your ass all day and not have to get a job or B) a mass murderer that their unbeknowing family member has married without doing his due dilligence !!!!

h82w8

Jul 13, 2012
:'( I try not to talk about our paperwork anymore...I told friends, family and coworkers I'll let them know when my husband is finally here...it was a torture to be constantly asked and people feeling bad for us cause our first year of marriage was spent in seperation :'( my inlaws also say that if i only decided to move to US we'd already be together :mad: .... so now it's my fault that our government takes its sweet time to approve cases ... ohh and yes few people at work were able to sponsor their significant other in less than 6 months 8)

parker24

VIP Member
Nov 26, 2011
Ontario
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo, NY --> Los Angeles, CA
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-03-2012
File Transfer...
05-06-2012
Med's Done....
16-11-2011
Passport Req..
16-11-2012
LANDED..........
04-01-2013
h82w8 said:
:'( I try not to talk about our paperwork anymore...I told friends, family and coworkers I'll let them know when my husband is finally here...it was a torture to be constantly asked and people feeling bad for us cause our first year of marriage was spent in seperation :'( my inlaws also say that if i only decided to move to US we'd already be together :mad: .... so now it's my fault that our government takes its sweet time to approve cases ... ohh and yes few people at work were able to sponsor their significant other in less than 6 months 8)

Actually that's not true with the US thing. I looked into it. It takes A LOT more time, but less money.

simb

Apr 15, 2012
Ontario
Visa Office......
Mississauga
parker24 said:
Actually that's not true with the US thing. I looked into it. It takes A LOT more time, but less money.
I half agree with you

one of my known friends got married last nov and he is still waiting for his wife to be here..
on the other side another friend of mine just took 6months and she was here..
and then she asked me "when are you going?"

h82w8 said:
I can understand.. I am going thru same and I guess I have to celebrate (not celebrate actually) my anniversary alone.

everybody says "it take time for govt things to be done"
but I am fed with this answer.
if it takes time then why they have given a certain timeline?

moochops

Aug 13, 2011
Alberta
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
09-06-2011
Doc's Request.
06-01-2012
AOR Received.
24-08-2011
File Transfer...
09-08-2011
Med's Request
new request 19-12-2012
Med's Done....
24-10-2010 / 16-01-2013
Interview........
waived
simb said:
I half agree with you

one of my known friends got married last nov and he is still waiting for his wife to be here..

I can understand.. I am going thru same and I guess I have to celebrate (not celebrate actually) my anniversary alone.

So they can post fancy figues on Websites

Rose2D2

Star Member
Aug 9, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
27-03-2012
File Transfer...
22-06-2012
Passport Req..
19-10-2012
Quick question. If I apply for a permit at the border (study permit, specifically), if they reject the permit, will they deny me entry into Canada?

I want to apply next week when I go to see my husband (but I can see it getting rejected since I obviously don't have long term plans in the US). The semester I want to start school starts in January, but I want to do it at the border rather than risk not getting a response before the semester starts. If I apply next week, I'll still have my job and a designated time to leave Canada, since I'll have to go back to work. But I'm worried about getting turned around if they reject the permit.

computergeek

VIP Member
Jan 31, 2012
Vancouver BC
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-O/LA
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-03-2012
AOR Received.
21-06-2012
File Transfer...
21-6-2012
Med's Done....
11-02-2012
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
26-09-2012
VISA ISSUED...
10-10-2012
LANDED..........
13-10-2012
Rose2D2 said:
Quick question. If I apply for a permit at the border (study permit, specifically), if they reject the permit, will they deny me entry into Canada?

I want to apply next week when I go to see my husband (but I can see it getting rejected since I obviously don't have long term plans in the US). The semester I want to start school starts in January, but I want to do it at the border rather than risk not getting a response before the semester starts. If I apply next week, I'll still have my job and a designated time to leave Canada, since I'll have to go back to work. But I'm worried about getting turned around if they reject the permit.
It's possible, but not likely. However, if they do, they should tell you why. If they claim it is because they think you won't leave at the end of your study permit, you do have the option of asking them to grant early admission on a TRP (see OP 20). It's a hassle, but given that you're already sponsor approved and are just awaiting standard processing steps you do fit into the requirements. But I wouldn't try that unless you get a refusal.

Good luck - I suspect you'll be just fine.

Rose2D2

Star Member
Aug 9, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
27-03-2012
File Transfer...
22-06-2012
Passport Req..
19-10-2012
computergeek said:
It's possible, but not likely. However, if they do, they should tell you why. If they claim it is because they think you won't leave at the end of your study permit, you do have the option of asking them to grant early admission on a TRP (see OP 20). It's a hassle, but given that you're already sponsor approved and are just awaiting standard processing steps you do fit into the requirements. But I wouldn't try that unless you get a refusal.

Good luck - I suspect you'll be just fine.
When I'm headed up next week, it's only for a few days. I'll still be working in the US until the end of December if I get my permit.

parker24

VIP Member
Nov 26, 2011
Ontario
Category........
Visa Office......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-03-2012
File Transfer...
05-06-2012
Med's Done....
16-11-2011
Passport Req..
16-11-2012
LANDED..........
04-01-2013
simb said:
I half agree with you

There was a volunteer from my husband's work in TN who was from Ontario and married someone down there and they had been waiting I think 8 years, still in limbo. It made me sad :( And it also made me NOT want to go that route!

computergeek

VIP Member
Jan 31, 2012
Vancouver BC
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-O/LA
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-03-2012
AOR Received.
21-06-2012
File Transfer...
21-6-2012
Med's Done....
11-02-2012
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
26-09-2012
VISA ISSUED...
10-10-2012
LANDED..........
13-10-2012
parker24 said:
There was a volunteer from my husband's work in TN who was from Ontario and married someone down there and they had been waiting I think 8 years, still in limbo. It made me sad :( And it also made me NOT want to go that route!
I recall reading a case of an inland sponsored application where AIP had been received back in 2006 and he was still waiting for them to complete his part of the application. CIC just kept saying that there was nothing wrong and it was normal processing time, which is part of why I suspect they don't bother to look into anything they just send a form letter.

So it happens on both sides.

parker24

VIP Member
Nov 26, 2011
Ontario
Category........
Visa Office......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-03-2012
File Transfer...
05-06-2012
Med's Done....
16-11-2011
Passport Req..
16-11-2012
LANDED..........
04-01-2013
computergeek said:
I recall reading a case of an inland sponsored application where AIP had been received back in 2006 and he was still waiting for them to complete his part of the application. CIC just kept saying that there was nothing wrong and it was normal processing time, which is part of why I suspect they don't bother to look into anything they just send a form letter.

So it happens on both sides.
Oh yeah, in hindsight I know that now haha. But at the time I was like EXCUSE ME?! Hubby's mother cracks me up though. She said all I have to do to become a CITIZEN of the USA is to stand up at the White House and say the Pledge of Allegiance. I was like.. Mom, I realllllllly doubt that! :p