+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Leaving urgently without a PR card

Bearcheese

Oct 8, 2013
Hello,

If someone has already landed and made their point of entry in Canada but they need to leave before the PR card is issued (seems like the wait time is getting longer), what are the options?

We have a Canadian mailing address where they can send the PR card.

Can we leave, and then once its sent by mail, we have someone bring it to us who might be travelling to our country? Is this illegal? Is it advisable?

Thank you

rajkamalmohanram

VIP Member
Apr 29, 2015
Bearcheese said:
Hello,

If someone has already landed and made their point of entry in Canada but they need to leave before the PR card is issued (seems like the wait time is getting longer), what are the options?

Can we leave, and then once its sent by mail, we have someone bring it to us who might be travelling to our country? Is this illegal? Is it advisable?

Thank you
No this is NOT illegal. IMO, you can go ahead with it. Just be sure that you give an address where someone will be able to collect the card. They can then either send it or bring it with them and give it to you.

Rob_TO

VIP Member
Nov 7, 2012
Toronto
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Seoul, Korea
App. Filed.......
13-07-2012
AOR Received.
18-08-2012
File Transfer...
21-08-2012
Med's Done....
Sent with App
Passport Req..
N/R - Exempt
VISA ISSUED...
30-10-2012
LANDED..........
16-11-2012
Bearcheese said:
Even if nobody is visiting in person, whoever receives the PR card can simply courier it to you by mail wherever you are in the world. Just make sure to use a good courier company with tracking.

GustavesF

Oct 29, 2014
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
01-04-2014
AOR Received.
26-01-2015
LANDED..........
08-10-2015
Unless I'm mistaken, your landing record is just as good as long as it's less than 1 year old.

For whatever reason the children working at CIC are having a really hard time printing out the cards, don't expect to get yours before 4 months after landing.
Could be worse, PR card renewals are currently taking 6 months. Isn't that the stupidest thing you've ever heard?

At this rate future PR's will only have their PR card for a few months before they have to apply for a renewal in order to get the new one in time.
Maybe in a few years we'll all have to apply for renewals the same day as our landing.

truesmile

Champion Member
Jun 7, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
MNL
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
25-05-2012
AOR Received.
18-07-2012
File Transfer...
24-07-2012
Med's Done....
18-05-2012
Interview........
WAIVED
Passport Req..
05-12-2012
VISA ISSUED...
08-01-2013
LANDED..........
02-02-2013
Bearcheese said:
So this is 100% fool proof?
Have couriers ever lost a package? Ever?

jhutti

Aug 13, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Bearcheese said:
Hello,

Thank you
What u assume will work 70 percent of the cases

Many times cic ask for new photo or address if u give of shared place(hotel) then postman insist on hand deliver etc

In that case (pr card not received at address) only option to return back is by applying for visa. Or travel with landing document via personal vehcile via US.

Bearcheese

Oct 8, 2013
jhutti said:
What u assume will work 70 percent of the cases

Many times cic ask for new photo or address if u give of shared place(hotel) then postman insist on hand deliver etc

In that case (pr card not received at address) only option to return back is by applying for visa. Or travel with landing document via personal vehcile via US.

The address for them to send it to is my parents house in BC. Do you think they'd want to hand deliver it?

jhutti

Aug 13, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Bearcheese said:
The address for them to send it to is my parents house in BC. Do you think they'd want to hand deliver it?
Most of houses have separate post box given/issued by canada post. U should be okay in that case. I donot think postman will hand deliver.

truesmile

Champion Member
Jun 7, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
MNL
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
25-05-2012
AOR Received.
18-07-2012
File Transfer...
24-07-2012
Med's Done....
18-05-2012
Interview........
WAIVED
Passport Req..
05-12-2012
VISA ISSUED...
08-01-2013
LANDED..........
02-02-2013
Ours was simply dropped in our mailbox. No trick question, (I'm sure they have, on rare occasion) making it just a smidgen less than 100% fool-proof. If possible I'd have someone bring it later. However, in our situation we wouldn't have to wait very long for someone we know to be coming to Philippines. On the other hand, we have already successfully received 2 sensitive packages via a prominent brown courier (I don't know at what cost) that came all the way from Canada.

Rob_TO

VIP Member
Nov 7, 2012
Toronto
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Seoul, Korea
App. Filed.......
13-07-2012
AOR Received.
18-08-2012
File Transfer...
21-08-2012
Med's Done....
Sent with App
Passport Req..
N/R - Exempt
VISA ISSUED...
30-10-2012
LANDED..........
16-11-2012
GustavesF said:
Unless I'm mistaken, your landing record is just as good as long as it's less than 1 year old.
You are mistaken. There is no such rule around 1 year of having landing papers/COPR.

In general anyone can enter Canada with just their passport and landing papers, at any time, as long as it's by car at a land border.

When traveling by plane the landing papers are useless, as the airline will only accept a PR card to allow boarding (unless traveler is visa-exempt, and before the new eTA rules come into effect).

Taddy

Sep 19, 2014
Category........
Visa Office......
Abu Dhabi
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
AOR Received.
24-03-2015
Med's Request
Upfront
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
09-11-2015
VISA ISSUED...
N/A
LANDED..........
29-11-2015
When I landed last month the immigration officer told me exactly the same thing that Rob_TO posted.

soonihope

Champion Member
May 18, 2013
You don't need to have PR card to return. You can apply for a travel document which cost $50.Application would be made in the country you are leaving at the Canadian High Commission.

The travel document is for PR holders who for whatever reason don't have a valid PR card to travel back to Canada.
Your reason would be that it had not been dispatched at the time you departed from Canada.