+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Learning "French" for benefit in express entry.

yatrikatdal

May 1, 2024
Hi there, I am curious about the express entry draw process for the general and french categories. In comparison to the general draw, I noticed that the French category's score is extremely low. Does that imply that if I study French, do well on the test, and apply for express entry? My file is automatically assigned to the French category. Kindly guide.

My current CRS score is 490+.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Hi there, I am curious about the express entry draw process for the general and french categories. In comparison to the general draw, I noticed that the French category's score is extremely low. Does that imply that if I study French, do well on the test, and apply for express entry? My file is automatically assigned to the French category. Kindly guide.

Essentially yes.

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020

Do you know any French? You need B2 (advanced intermediate) to gain points.

yatrikatdal

May 1, 2024
Essentially yes.
All right, I am not sure what exactly happens because some people talk about "boosting your score with French" and others say "entering French category draws." Sincerely, who knows? With the CRS score of 549 right now, it could even rise in the future. I was therefore uncertain as to whether it would increase my score or place me in a different category where the minimal score requirement is applicable.

yatrikatdal

May 1, 2024
Do you know any French? You need B2 (advanced intermediate) to gain points.
Hi, I was hoping to begin learning French right away even though I do not currently know any of it. So, the question is: will it simply add extra points to my current score and require me to apply for general category draws only, or will it place me in a completely different category with a very appealing score?

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
Hi, I was hoping to begin learning French right away even though I do not currently know any of it. So, the question is: will it simply add extra points to my current score and require me to apply for general category draws only, or will it place me in a completely different category with a very appealing score?
You will be in the French draw if your TEF/CELPIP score is high enough. You need to be beyond a beginner level to gain points.

yatrikatdal

May 1, 2024
You will be in the French draw if your TEF/CELPIP score is high enough. You need to be beyond a beginner level to gain points.
Do you mean TEF test points or CRS score points when you say "gain points"? You are saying that I can only enter the French draw if I achieve a high score, which would be? I can not enter the French draw with just the minimum requirement.

eternitysh

Apr 9, 2024
1. It will add extra points to your current score.
2. You will still be invited in the general draws if the cut off score is lower than your score. You don't need to do anything.
3. If you score Level 7 in all skills (listening, reading, speaking, writing) in TCF/TEF exam and update in your profile, you will be eligible for French Category draws too. It happens automatically. Of course, you still need to have high enough CRS score to get ITA in that particular French draw's required CRS.
4. If you know zero French, it may take 12 ~24 months depends on your commitment and ability to get to Level 7 in all skills. Please take it into consideration.

Hope it helps.

Reactions: Naturgrl

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
Do you mean TEF test points or CRS score points when you say "gain points"? You are saying that I can only enter the French draw if I achieve a high score, which would be? I can not enter the French draw with just the minimum requirement.
Read the EE requirements for second language scores. You need a TEF score that meets the EE requirements. Beginner French will not give you points. You want B2 (advanced intermediate) to get the extra CRS points for French.

Reactions: eternitysh

yatrikatdal

May 1, 2024
1. It will add extra points to your current score.
2. You will still be invited in the general draws if the cut-off score is lower than your score. You don't need to do anything.
3. If you score Level 7 in all skills (listening, reading, speaking, and writing) in TCF/TEF exam and update in your profile, you will be eligible for French Category draws too. It happens automatically. Of course, you still need to have high enough CRS score to get ITA in that particular French draw's required CRS.
4. If you know zero French, it may take 12–24 months, depends on your commitment and ability to get to Level 7 in all skills. Please take it into consideration.

I hope it helps.
Okay, so this is what I understand from it. My score is increased, and the IRCC portal does not allow for category selection; instead, my file is automatically classified into the French or general category based on the information I have provided. It is also necessary for me to get at least a B2 score in order for the IRCC to consider me qualified for a French draw, right?

yatrikatdal

May 1, 2024
Read the EE requirements for second language scores. You need a TEF score that meets the EE requirements. Beginner French will not give you points. You want B2 (advanced intermediate) to get the extra CRS points for French.
I understand, you are correct, and I am aware that learning French from the ground up will not be easy. On the other hand, let us say that I manage to achieve a decent score in French. I get the extra points added, and my file is automatically selected for the general or French draw category if my score meets the requirements. Am I reading this correctly?

santosh.dh

Star Member
May 18, 2023
It's a bit of a gamble since the governments will most likely change in Canada next year. So we can't say for sure if they will give this much importance to Francophones. For me, it was a gamble too to learn French from scratch; it took me two years. But it worked. I hope that if you decide to go ahead with it, it will work for you too!

Reactions: yatrikatdal

eternitysh

Apr 9, 2024
Okay, so this is what I understand from it. My score is increased, and the IRCC portal does not allow for category selection; instead, my file is automatically classified into the French or general category based on the information I have provided. It is also necessary for me to get at least a B2 score in order for the IRCC to consider me qualified for a French draw, right?
Yes

CanGoldDigger

Star Member
Feb 17, 2024
French has always been beneficial for EE so learn it, it's not a gamble at all. You will get extra points anyway. Besides, it would be very helpful to you in Canada for sure.

Reactions: yatrikatdal

yatrikatdal

May 1, 2024
It's a bit of a gamble since the governments will most likely change in Canada next year. So we can't say for sure if they will give this much importance to Francophones. For me, it was a gamble too to learn French from scratch; it took me two years. But it worked. I hope that if you decide to go ahead with it, it will work for you too!
Hello there, why do you think it is a gamble ? Do you believe the government will close the french category in future ? Or did you think you might not be able yo learn the french language?