+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Latest on the Changes on Canada Immigration plan this coming FALL

justanerd

Aug 12, 2016
flx2015 said:
for example, whereas an American homosexual spouse would have no trouble getting through immigration, a Pakistani homosexual spouse would almost certainly be rejected because homosexuality is taboo and illegal in Pakistan.
Read the CIC guideline, if the marriage was done outside of Canada, the marriage must be recognized by both Canadian laws and the laws of the country where they get married. It has nothing to do with CIC discriminating anyone. Until the Supreme Court decision in the US last year, lot of gay couples couldn't get married in some states of the USA and hence not qualified for family class sponsorship either.

flx2015

Champion Member
Jul 27, 2015
Category........
Visa Office......
LVO
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
04-Dec-2015
Doc's Request.
16-Sept-2016
Med's Request
16-Sept-2016
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
18-Oct-2016
justanerd said:
Read the CIC guideline, if the marriage was done outside of Canada, the marriage must be recognized by both Canadian laws and the laws of the country where they get married.
we're not debating marriage law here; the need to have a legal marriage is a clear cut requirement with zero room for discussion.

going back to the original example i gave, a gay pakistani couple could choose to marry in a number of other countries where gay marriage is legal. regardless of where they marry, the principal applicant remains a pakistani national and will be subjected to the same review criteria as every other pakistani applicant.

justanerd

Aug 12, 2016
To fix2015

VISA exempt countries (Or just USA) is processed faster could be explained by couple factors:

1) documents are in English, no translation
2) US and Canada share criminal record database and background check is lot easier
3) US is lot closer to Canada than Pakistan, the sponsor and the sponsored person probably visit each other lot more often and hence less doubt on the relationship

Just so you know inland apps take about 10~16 months (before The liberal, inland app takes about 20~24 months). Justin's administration is doubling CIC's budget to allow faster processing of apps.

How's gender-balanced cabinet has anything to do with your so called "visa exempt countries privilege"?

Your "innocent until proven guilty" argument is a joke. You are not being charged by the Canadian government. It's like you are boarding a plane and you don't want to line up for security check and you yell to the guard saying you don't want to be checked because you think you are "innocent until proven guilty"

Perhaps the wait time won't be so unbearable if you get a life and don't spend so much time on this forum telling people how frustrated you are and encourage others to send emails/letters/calls to harass their MPs/PM and CIC.

Disclaimer: I'm not from visa exempt country

UA2014

Star Member
May 6, 2016
Category........
Visa Office......
Kyiv
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
21-03-2016
Doc's Request.
None yet
File Transfer...
13-05-2016
Med's Done....
25-02-2016 Upfront
Interview........
28-09-2016
danawhitaker said:
Until you've walked in my shoes for a day, please don't presume to know what I'm going through while I wait.
Something to think about:
Is there a war in in your spouse's country?
Was there ever a time in your relationship with your spouse when there was no possibility of you to visit your spouse? (in our case, outbreak of war. And the "authorities" in my spouses area would never let a Canadian or American enter. If they didn't shoot me dead on the spot as a spy.)
Is your spouse an Internally Displaced Person in their own country? Were they living out of a suitcase when you met?
On the day of your marriage did a rocket impact the roof of the school where your spouse used to work and several people were killed or injured?
Is there a constant worry about an invasion in your spouse's country?
Is there information and visa stamps in your spouse's passports that could get them killed in their home city?
You mentioned how you felt to leave your spouse, and return to the United States. I understand the feeling. It's happened for us six times since we were married in 2014.
Every time I make a trip it's at least $1000-2000, just for the flight, depending on the time of year. It is a 32 hour trip there, and 32 hours back. I also have two residences to pay for, and my wife isn't able to find work in her profession because 1.7 million people relocated from the war zone to other parts of the country and there are no jobs.

We were lucky, my wife and stepdaughter were granted TRV and we're able to visit Canada. But how do you think I feel when I put them on a plane and send them back?

And we are one of the couples mentioned that have been notified that we will have to have an interview.

I know you have your own feelings about your experience. But please think of others here who maybe don't have your VERY fortunate circumstances.

flx2015

Champion Member
Jul 27, 2015
Category........
Visa Office......
LVO
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
04-Dec-2015
Doc's Request.
16-Sept-2016
Med's Request
16-Sept-2016
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
18-Oct-2016
justanerd said:
To fix2015

VISA exempt countries (Or just USA) is processed faster could be explained by couple factors:

we are required to provide them with translated, government issued documents. no translation necessary.

[quote author=justanerd]2) US and Canada share criminal record database and background check is lot easier[/quote]

this is true. background checks for american applicants are definitely faster, though i should also point out that background checks for pakistani applicants usually do not take longer than 1-2 weeks, provided that the applicant has not lived outside of pakistan for more than 6 months.

[quote author=justanerd]3) US is lot closer to Canada than Pakistan, the sponsor and the sponsored person probably visit each other lot more often and hence less doubt on the relationship[/quote]

the methods that CIC uses to identify marriages of convenience is pretty much what we've been discussing all this time. you might want to go back and reread this thread from the beginning.

[quote author=justanerd]Just so you know inland apps take about 10~16 months (before The liberal, inland app takes about 20~24 months). Justin's administration is doubling CIC's budget to allow faster processing of apps.[/quote]

that's great. outland apps can also take up to 20-24 months for applicants applying from certain countries, so hopefully they'll speed up processing for those too.

[quote author=justanerd]How's gender-balanced cabinet has anything to do with your so called "visa exempt countries privilege"?[/quote]

let us know if you would like us to begin using simpler vocabulary so that you have an easier time comprehending our posts.

[quote author=justanerd]Your "innocent until proven guilty" argument is a joke. You are not being charged by the Canadian government. It's like you are boarding a plane and you don't want to line up for security check and you yell to the guard saying you don't want to be checked because you think you are "innocent until proven guilty"[/quote]

no, that would be ridiculous! i think a better analogy would be where airport security automatically detains ALL foreigners with black beards and subjects them to interrogations and extensive screening, because they are presumed to be a threat to security until proven otherwise.

[quote author=justanerd]Perhaps the wait time won't be so unbearable if you get a life and don't spend so much time on this forum telling people how frustrated you are and encourage others to send emails/letters/calls to harass their MPs/PM and CIC.
[/quote]

the only life i'm interested in is with my wife. we'll be together soon. ;)

[quote author=justanerd]Disclaimer: I'm not from visa exempt country[/quote]

you're the same sex common law applicant with the 26 year age gap, right? which visa office was your application processed at?

flx2015

Champion Member
Jul 27, 2015
Category........
Visa Office......
LVO
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
04-Dec-2015
Doc's Request.
16-Sept-2016
Med's Request
16-Sept-2016
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
18-Oct-2016
UA2014 said:
Was their ever a time in your relationship with your spouse when there was no possibility of you to visit your spouse?(in our case, war. And the "authorities" in my spouses area would never let a Canadian or American enter. If they didn't kill me on the spot.)
Is your spouse an Internally Displaced Person in their own country? We're they living out of a suitcase when you met?
On the day of your marriage did a rocket impact the roof of the school where your spouse used to work and several people were killed or injured?
Is there information and visa stamps in your spouse's passport that could get them killed in their home city?
You mentioned how you felt to leave your spouse, and return to the United States. I understand the feeling. It's happened for us six times since we were married in 2014.
Every time I make a trip it's at least $1000-2000, just for the flight, depending on the time of year. I also have two residences to pay for, and my wife isn't able to find work in her profession because 1.7 million people relocated from the war zone to other parts of the country and there are no jobs.

We were lucky, my wife and stepdaughter were granted TRV and we're able to visit Canada. But how do you think I feel when I put them on a plane and send them back?

And we are one of the couples mentioned that have been notified that we will have to have an interview.

I know you have your own feelings about your experience. But please think of others here who maybe don't have your fortunate circumstances.
really sorry to hear about what you and your family have been through :(. does the CIC not expedite the processing of applications for displaced persons?

UA2014

Star Member
May 6, 2016
Category........
Visa Office......
Kyiv
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
21-03-2016
Doc's Request.
None yet
File Transfer...
13-05-2016
Med's Done....
25-02-2016 Upfront
Interview........
28-09-2016
flx2015 said:
really sorry to hear about what you and your family have been through :(. does the CIC not expedite the processing of applications for displaced persons?
Thank you flx2015. We mentioned my wife's IDP status in our application, however I don't believe there is any special treatment for people who are IDP. As the war is only in Luhansk and Donetsk regions (my wife is from Donetsk) and the rest of Ukraine (where my wife is now living) is relatively safe, any sort of refugee claim would likely not be successful. So we applied for regular spousal sponsorship.

That being said the Visa Office in Kyiv has been very good to us, granting TRV/TRP for my wife and stepdaughter. It has been about six months since we applied. However we will have to have an interview at the end of the month. Kyiv VO is 10 months for 80% of applicants right now.

I wish you luck with your application. The wait times for some Pakistani applicants are ridiculous from what I have heard :(

Sous02

Jul 25, 2015
Category........
Visa Office......
warsaw
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
18-04-16
Doc's Request.
22-08-2016
AOR Received.
06-05-16
File Transfer...
28-05-16
Med's Done....
Up front/passed
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
10-10-2016
VISA ISSUED...
17-10-2016
LANDED..........
02-11-2016
Asking for an interview of a spouse who has already been on two trv' s and has a sponsor is a great example of the games they play and the crazy system. In our case they have delayed our application while we send in information on a 50 yr old back to when sheis18 despite their rules stating ten years. Sitting beside this form is her workbook (translated for the idiot poster above) which is another required document. It clearly shows what she has been doing since she was 18. Working! Simply an anal slowing of the process.
Not all changes have to be expensive or complicated. Consistent applications of their own rules might help!

UA2014

Star Member
May 6, 2016
Category........
Visa Office......
Kyiv
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
21-03-2016
Doc's Request.
None yet
File Transfer...
13-05-2016
Med's Done....
25-02-2016 Upfront
Interview........
28-09-2016
^^ All documents must be translated and notarized at the expense of the applicant. When it hits their desk it is in English and certified. I have doubts whether the person you mentioned is from a non visa exempt country as someone who actually is would know this. (Especially Former Soviet Union) Everything must be notarized and stamped with a seal.

We were very lucky to get my wife's workbook back from the school where she worked. My wife was terminated when she refused to return to the war zone with no guarantee she would be paid. At the time (October 2014) they had not paid employees since the war broke out in July of 2014.

And yes, I understand they have to do their due diligence, but really? I have friends with Ukrainian and Russian wives in the US who applied and recieved K1 fiance visa in 6 months and their wife stayed after the marriage. They are absoluely dumbfounded by my experience when I relate it to them.

ImABule

Champion Member
Mar 4, 2016
Ottawa, Ontario
Category........
Visa Office......
Singapore
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
February 25, 2016
Doc's Request.
None
AOR Received.
March 24, 2016 AOR2 April 15, 2016
File Transfer...
SA April 5, 2016
Med's Done....
February 02, 2016
Interview........
Queue- August 29, 2016 Waived- November 15, 2016
Passport Req..
November 17, 2016 DM- November 18, 2016
VISA ISSUED...
November 29, 2016
LANDED..........
December 19, 2016
UA2014 said:
Something to think about:
Was there ever a time in your relationship with your spouse when there was no possibility of you to visit your spouse? (in our case, outbreak of war. And the "authorities" in my spouses area would never let a Canadian or American enter. If they didn't shoot me dead on the spot as a spy.)
Is your spouse an Internally Displaced Person in their own country? Were they living out of a suitcase when you met?
Is there information and visa stamps in your spouse's passports that could get them killed in their home city?
Every time I make a trip it's at least $1000-2000, just for the flight, depending on the time of year. It is a 32 hour trip there, and 32 hours back. I also have two residences to pay for, and my wife isn't able to find work in her profession because 1.7 million people relocated from the war zone to other parts of the country and there are no jobs.

I know you have your own feelings about your experience. But please think of others here who maybe don't have your VERY fortunate circumstances.
+1

Breaking leases and selling houses is part of moving to different countries ... Oh the hardship

Hope your process goes fast bro

UA2014

Star Member
May 6, 2016
Category........
Visa Office......
Kyiv
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
21-03-2016
Doc's Request.
None yet
File Transfer...
13-05-2016
Med's Done....
25-02-2016 Upfront
Interview........
28-09-2016
ImABule said:
+1

Breaking leases and selling houses is part of moving to different countries ... Oh the hardship

Thank you so much for your support ImABule and all of the understanding members here. I didn't want to mention my hardships here, but some people really need to wake up.

I wish you an expedient reunion with your wife. And thank you once again for your support and your advice to people here. I should have taken it sooner. Instead I trusted the process and now I'm worried :(

Oh and BTW my wife owned her own flat in Donetsk Region which is now completely worthless. It would have been worth about $50,000 USD before the war. She isn't even concerned about it. She just wants to start again in Canada with me.

s.and.s

Star Member
Jun 7, 2016
justanerd said:
To fix2015

2) US and Canada share criminal record database and background check is lot easier
3) US is lot closer to Canada than Pakistan, the sponsor and the sponsored person probably visit each other lot more often and hence less doubt on the relationship
Probably. But you're forgetting the most important factor; that their applications are being forwarded to CPC-Ottawa. Why?

There are offices for non-visa exempt countries where the backlog is so long that the visa officers wouldn't even pick up your file for up to a year. I ordered my notes and 6 months in, it was completely dormant - no one had even looked at the upfront medical I submitted alongside our file.

Surely it would make sense to forward applications from such backlogged offices to CPC-Ottawa if they want to distribute workload evenly. I don't understand why the NY VO, or Paris VO, or London VO, or Sydney VO aren't handling their own respective applications, especially if the background checks are so much easier as you point.

How would you feel if you were standing in a 2 year line at a bus stop, but the guy behind you was sent to a shorter line because he was Australian?

ser5600

Jul 3, 2016
justanerd said:
Perhaps the wait time won't be so unbearable if you get a life and don't spend so much time on this forum telling people how frustrated you are and encourage others to send emails/letters/calls to harass their MPs/PM and CIC.
FLX2015 is helpful to many on this forum, and we are ALL frustrated not just him. You are the one who should leave and get a life.

FLX, i will write a letter to McCallum as you have suggested. He needs to be made aware of what is going on.

rand75

Feb 24, 2016
Telling ppl not to be frustrayed?? Are you for real bro? Thats okay we don't expect you to understand our frustration. We are waiting for our wives and our children, not some gay common law sugar daddy who is 26 years older than us.

buonqua

Jun 9, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
Singapore
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
March 16,2016
AOR Received.
May 4, 2016
File Transfer...
May 12, 2016
Med's Done....
February 19,2016
ImABule said:
+1

I've had to sell one of my houses so that I have savings to support my wife and daughter while I wait for my application to be approved. I've been paying mortgage, property taxes and insurance on another house I haven't lived in for almost 3 years.

I quit my job almost 3 years ago and immediately after I quit my job I spent 15 consecutive months living with my wife. I came back to Canada twice to work on selling the house. I had $20 in my bank account when my daughter was born in Vietnam. We had 1 miscarriage and 1 daughter who is Canadian citizen by birth and lived together for over 2 years before submitting my application. My wife is now pregnant with our 2nd child.

I ordered my GCMS notes last month to find they haven't even looked at her files and her medicals is still in progress. I'm lucky to be with my wife and daughter in Vietnam but it came with lots of sacrifices. I'm living in Vietnam with no work permit and no degree so I can't even work and even if I do it'll be $200/month jobs.

She's got no family members in Canada. So it's seems pretty straight forward case but 5.5 months and not a peak into my application.

I've been apart from my wife and daughter at most 3 months spurts so I know the empty feeling being away from the ones you love. I feel for those that haven't seen their spouses for over a year. I've sacrificed everything I could to make the best of our situation.

But I don't blame Singapore VO for their long wait time. Yeah there's lots of incompetancy issues at Singapore Vo but just too many marriage of inconvenience coming from this office. What I don't understand is why can't Canada assess and issue some sort of spouse visa while our application is waiting to be approved. I could be working in Canada paying income taxes and creating jobs.