+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

LANDING IN CANADA ??? -All You Need To Know.

cam1234

Star Member
Jul 11, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
emamabd said:
probably that was valid a few years ago, its certainly not required to fill in PR applications anymore for newly landing immigrants.
You are correct emamabd, thanks!

Cam :)

Mani8585

Star Member
Jul 16, 2013
Cyra said:
I want details about any CARGO service from Karachi to Toronto. please help !!
Buddy I would recommend not to take big ticket item from Karachi. Big ticket items are much cheaper and better in Canada. What you can do is sell your items in Karachi, make some money and use that money to buy stuff in Canada.

Thanks

smaan

Apr 25, 2014
Hi,

I am currently in a sticky situation. I am waiting on CIC to request my passport. I am aware that once they return my passport with PR visa I need to effect the landing status. I also know that once I have "landed" it's not recommended that I travel - the only way I can leave Canada and come back is by car. The problem is that I need to travel soon urgently.
I have three trips coming - 2 day US trip early June, 4 day US trip Mid June, 2 week Europe trip early July

Assuming I hear back from CIC soon, give them my passport and get it back with the COPR, I can do this
1. Do all my trips but ensure that on the return journey, I land somewhere in the States and drive to Canada (thinking either Plattsburgh, NY or Buffalo). This way I can enter Canada with just my COPR. This is tedious and time consuming, also I do not have a car so I would have to rent.
2. Since I haven't got the request to send in my passport yet, request them to extend the date by which I can send in my passport. I know that by default it is 60 days. I come back from Europe July 18th. Therefore if they grant me the extension (assuming I get the request by May 18th) I can complete all my travel by July 18th and then come back and continue the process.
I don't want to do this to delay it even further, but it is the easiest solution for me.
3. Request urgent PR card processing - once again no guarantee that I'll get it back in time for my first trip Early June

What do you guys think?

Another question - since I have 3 trips coming up, do I *HAVE* to effect the landing process the first time I leave and re-enter? From what I can see you need to go to a special booth at the airport and effect the landing status. What's to stop me from just re-entering Canada normally with my temp resident visa, passport, and Work Permit ( I work full-time) on my first 2 trips, THEN effect the landing process on my 3rd trip when I return to the airport in Canada?

Please let me know if you have any comments or suggestions, would greatly appreciate any input !!!

steaky

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
smaan said:
What do you guys think?
Couldn't you walk across the border and then take public transportation or cab to the US airport for Europe and return? If you are holding a visa exempted, you can arrive directly at a Canadian International airport from Europe.

smaan

Apr 25, 2014
HI Steaky,

What do you mean by visa exempted? Yes there's nothing stopping me from doing that. I can walk across the Rainbow bridge and fly from Buffalo Airport which is nearby.

I didn't get your 2nd statement ?

rizmayo

Aug 17, 2013
Mississauga
Visa Office......
LVO
NOC Code......
IELTS Request
With Application
Med's Request
16-07-2013
Med's Done....
26-08-2013
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
03-09-2013, sent 17-09-2013, DM 06-10-2013
VISA ISSUED...
30-09-2013
smaan said:
Hi,

I am currently in a sticky situation. I am waiting on CIC to request my passport. I am aware that once they return my passport with PR visa I need to effect the landing status. I also know that once I have "landed" it's not recommended that I travel - the only way I can leave Canada and come back is by car. The problem is that I need to travel soon urgently.
I have three trips coming - 2 day US trip early June, 4 day US trip Mid June, 2 week Europe trip early July

Assuming I hear back from CIC soon, give them my passport and get it back with the COPR, I can do this
1. Do all my trips but ensure that on the return journey, I land somewhere in the States and drive to Canada (thinking either Plattsburgh, NY or Buffalo). This way I can enter Canada with just my COPR. This is tedious and time consuming, also I do not have a car so I would have to rent.
2. Since I haven't got the request to send in my passport yet, request them to extend the date by which I can send in my passport. I know that by default it is 60 days. I come back from Europe July 18th. Therefore if they grant me the extension (assuming I get the request by May 18th) I can complete all my travel by July 18th and then come back and continue the process.
I don't want to do this to delay it even further, but it is the easiest solution for me.
3. Request urgent PR card processing - once again no guarantee that I'll get it back in time for my first trip Early June

What do you guys think?

Another question - since I have 3 trips coming up, do I *HAVE* to effect the landing process the first time I leave and re-enter? From what I can see you need to go to a special booth at the airport and effect the landing status. What's to stop me from just re-entering Canada normally with my temp resident visa, passport, and Work Permit ( I work full-time) on my first 2 trips, THEN effect the landing process on my 3rd trip when I return to the airport in Canada?

Please let me know if you have any comments or suggestions, would greatly appreciate any input !!!
Perhaps you are getting a bit ahead of yourself here. As you have not even gotten passport request yet, it is a bit premature to worry about this.
To address some of your questions above:
1. Once you get your PR visa, your previous TRV visa won't be valid and you need to land the first time you reenter Canada .

2. There is no problem traveling soon after you get the PR and if you are working for a Canadian company (or multinational with registered office in Canada as well), then time spent traveling abroad for official work will still count towards your days for citizenship. The only problem is coming back to Canada without PR Card.

3. Urgent processing request is not entertained for new immigrants, as their cards are already processed of fast track.

Regards,

smaan

Apr 25, 2014
Thanks Rizmayo, I wasn't aware of Point 1 that my TRV wouldn't be valid anymore. That makes sense that I need to re-enter Canada as soon as I get my PR Visa.

So it looks like I will have to enter by road then! Doable but tedious.

smaan

Apr 25, 2014
rizmayo said:
Perhaps you are getting a bit ahead of yourself here. As you have not even gotten passport request yet, it is a bit premature to worry about this.
I wanted to book my airfare which is why I am worried about this i.e. flights from US-Europe instead of Canada-Europe

rizmayo

Aug 17, 2013
Mississauga
Visa Office......
LVO
NOC Code......
IELTS Request
With Application
Med's Request
16-07-2013
Med's Done....
26-08-2013
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
VISA ISSUED...
30-09-2013
smaan said:
HI Steaky,

What do you mean by visa exempted? Yes there's nothing stopping me from doing that. I can walk across the Rainbow bridge and fly from Buffalo Airport which is nearby.

I didn't get your 2nd statement ?
Visa exempt passport means , you currently hold the passport of a country that does not need a visa to enter canada (e.g. USA, UK, etc.)

Regards,

rizmayo

Aug 17, 2013
Mississauga
Visa Office......
LVO
NOC Code......
IELTS Request
With Application
Med's Request
16-07-2013
Med's Done....
26-08-2013
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
VISA ISSUED...
30-09-2013
smaan said:
I wanted to book my airfare which is why I am worried about this i.e. flights from US-Europe instead of Canada-Europe
As pointed out by steaky, nothing wrong with taking US route till you get the PR card.

I just think CIC is unpredictable and you may not get PPR early enough for it to impact your trip.

Regards,

smaan

Apr 25, 2014
rizmayo said:
Visa exempt passport means , you currently hold the passport of a country that does not need a visa to enter canada (e.g. USA, UK, etc.)

Regards,
Ah ok I see, unfortunately that doesn't apply to me. Thanks!

smaan

Apr 25, 2014
rizmayo said:
As pointed out by steaky, nothing wrong with taking US route till you get the PR card.

I just think CIC is unpredictable and you may not get PPR early enough for it to impact your trip.

Regards,
Thanks I'll keep that in mind.

Also another question, I can still fly *OUT* of Canada right, with no problems? I only have the re-enter Canada through the US? This is after i've landed and my TRV isn't valid anymore, only have the PR visa.

smaan

Apr 25, 2014
rizmayo said:

Regards,
It would impact my trip because say they request my passport within a week and I don't get it back in time before my first June trip. Then I wouldn't be able to travel. Or I could wait to give in my passport later but then that would impact my July trip

rizmayo

Aug 17, 2013
Mississauga
Visa Office......
LVO
NOC Code......
IELTS Request
With Application
Med's Request
16-07-2013
Med's Done....
26-08-2013
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
VISA ISSUED...
30-09-2013
smaan said:
Thanks I'll keep that in mind.

Also another question, I can still fly *OUT* of Canada right, with no problems? I only have the re-enter Canada through the US? This is after i've landed and my TRV isn't valid anymore, only have the PR visa.
Yes no problem. PR Card is not required to leave Canada.

Regards,