+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

LANDING IN CANADA ??? -All You Need To Know.

rizmayo

Aug 17, 2013
Mississauga
Visa Office......
LVO
NOC Code......
IELTS Request
With Application
Med's Request
16-07-2013
Med's Done....
26-08-2013
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
03-09-2013, sent 17-09-2013, DM 06-10-2013
VISA ISSUED...
30-09-2013
Rajdeep_Punjab13 said:
Hi Friends,

I have not seen any document for the exact "minimum" amount to be carried alongwith while we are travelling. Even the CIC wbsite does not mention the minimum amount to be carried and shown at the time of reaching CANADA. My questions are

1. Do we need to carry mandatorily the amount shown as POF during the VISA application or we can take any desired amount less than that also
2. What will happen at the airport if we do not carry than the POF declared during the VISA application.
3. If we got a job after getting a visa , do we still have to carry the full POF shown during VISA application. ( In my case I got JOB from my current company and I am going with JOB in hand)
The POF is dependent on family size and is mentioned on CIC website: http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/immigrate/skilled/funds.asp

Getting the job after sending application does not have any impact on POF, only if you go it before applying as arranged employment candidate.

You can be refused entry into Canada for not having enough funds, though the chances of this happening is very slim to none, but you don't want to be the unlucky one who has to face this.

Regards,

yezdi_in

Aug 4, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
NDVO
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
Doc's Request.
04-10-2010
AOR Received.
12-01-2011
Med's Request
18-07-2013
Med's Done....
03-08-2013
Passport Req..
18-07-2013
VISA ISSUED...
28-10-2013
LANDED..........
08-05-2014
PR card Query

Can somebody explain the following points?
1) Should we apply for the PR card at the time of landing or afterwards?
2) Should we give photographs again?
3) If yes, the format of the photo same as which we gave at the time of applying (face only)?
4) Can we give a new photo which we take now or should it be the same which we gave at the time of medicals?
Thanx in advance :)

nekeol

Champion Member
Nov 7, 2012
Waterloo region, Ontario
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
London/Abu Dhabi
NOC Code......
1111 Accountant
App. Filed.......
25/9/2011
Doc's Request.
21/11/12
Nomination.....
Not Applicable
IELTS Request
Submitted with Application
Med's Request
19/12/2013, after BGC
Med's Done....
7/1/2014
Interview........
Exempt
Passport Req..
02/02/2014 - DM 11/2/14
VISA ISSUED...
14/02/2014
LANDED..........
Alhamdolillah Landed July 2014/Citizenship Applied in JAN 2018
1) Should we apply for the PR card at the time of landing or afterwards? At Airport at the time of landing but u can apply later on tooo
2) Should we give photographs again? NO need but keep with you to be on safe side
3) If yes, the format of the photo same as which we gave at the time of applying (face only)? same old one
4) Can we give a new photo which we take now or should it be the same which we gave at the time of medicals? YES

JDC2011

Oct 18, 2011
thanks for your answer in advance for those who can help me:

For the health card, can we do this immediately after landing? what did you show as proof of address? we are planning to land in edmonton.

the requirements are copr, passport, and proof of address in alberta

thanks in advance

canvis2006

Champion Member
Dec 27, 2009
Toronto
Visa Office......
Paris, France
NOC Code......
FC4 - PGP
App. Filed.......
May 2009
Doc's Request.
March 2012
File Transfer...
Jan. 2013
Med's Request
May 2013
Passport Req..
July 2013
VISA ISSUED...
August 2013
LANDED..........
Sept 2013
yezdi_in said:
PR card Query

Can somebody explain the following points?
1) Should we apply for the PR card at the time of landing or afterwards?
2) Should we give photographs again?
3) If yes, the format of the photo same as which we gave at the time of applying (face only)?
4) Can we give a new photo which we take now or should it be the same which we gave at the time of medicals?
Thanx in advance :)

One of the COPR's (with the photo) will be retained by Immigration officials and that will be used for generating PR Card by CIC.
(The 2 COPR's that you have been given, will be taken away at the Canadian POE.)
You will get a stamped copy with immigration stamps for your record. Keep it safe/forever.

rizmayo

Aug 17, 2013
Mississauga
Visa Office......
LVO
NOC Code......
IELTS Request
With Application
Med's Request
16-07-2013
Med's Done....
26-08-2013
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
VISA ISSUED...
30-09-2013
JDC2011 said:

For the health card, can we do this immediately after landing? what did you show as proof of address? we are planning to land in edmonton.

thanks in advance
You can apply for the health cards immediately, but they will arrive only after your 3rd month.

The following documents can be used as proof of your Alberta Address:
  • Current Alberta driver’s licence
  • Current Alberta registries identity card
  • Current utility bills for an Alberta residence
  • A current pay stub, bank statement or lease agreement may be submitted as proof of Alberta residency as long as it includes your full name and Alberta address.

The lease agreement is probably the only thing that you can get immediately.

In Ontario the first time I went to apply for my health cards, the lady told me they only accept lease agreements if I bought the property and not for rental agreements. The next day I went again with same documents to a different gentleman in the same office (this is common practice in middle east, so I thought I would try it here as well :p) and viola my health card application is accepted with same documents I tried to apply with the day before.

If they still don't accept rental agreement (or you are not intending to rent a place yet), you can have your bank write a letter verifying your address (I know this works for school admissions, never tried it for health cards).

Regards,

rizmayo

Aug 17, 2013
Mississauga
Visa Office......
LVO
NOC Code......
IELTS Request
With Application
Med's Request
16-07-2013
Med's Done....
26-08-2013
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
VISA ISSUED...
30-09-2013
nekeol said:
1) Should we apply for the PR card at the time of landing or afterwards? At Airport at the time of landing but u can apply later on tooo
2) Should we give photographs again? NO need but keep with you to be on safe side
3) If yes, the format of the photo same as which we gave at the time of applying (face only)? same old one
4) Can we give a new photo which we take now or should it be the same which we gave at the time of medicals? YES
Just to add to nekeol's comment above, the process for newly landed immigrants is now different from other PR card applications (like renewal etc.). Now all you have to do is provide your Canadian address. This can be done by providing the address to the CBSA officer who is completing your landing formalities or later by sending your address to CIC (if CBSA officer refuses to do this due to short landing, or you don't have a Canadian address at time of landing).

You have 180 days after landing to provide your address, otherwise you will have to go through the whole PR card application process and will no longer be treated as a newly landed immigrant (for PR card purposes).

Regards,

JDC2011

Oct 18, 2011
thanks a lot @rizmayo. Another question ;) what do you think is the best bank to open for newcomers? thanks an advance for your suggestion

rizmayo

Aug 17, 2013
Mississauga
Visa Office......
LVO
NOC Code......
IELTS Request
With Application
Med's Request
16-07-2013
Med's Done....
26-08-2013
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
VISA ISSUED...
30-09-2013
JDC2011 said:
thanks a lot @ rizmayo. Another question ;) what do you think is the best bank to open for newcomers? thanks an advance for your suggestion
TD Bank is the one with the most aggressive customer services. Details on their package for new comers: http://www.tdcanadatrust.com/planning/life-events/new-to-canada/products-and-services/index.jsp

Remember to tell them that you want this package, otherwise you will end up paying a fee on your account from day 1 and not get an unsecured credit card. Credit Card is a very important part of your life in Canada. Scotia Bank used to give $1000 limit to everyone, but now that package has stopped. If you need higher credit limits you can go for a secured credit card (i.e. block an amount of money equal to the limit).

However, from my personal experience the best bank is not based on ranking, but rather how conveniently it is located from where you live or work.

Regards,

canvis2006

Champion Member
Dec 27, 2009
Toronto
Visa Office......
Paris, France
NOC Code......
FC4 - PGP
App. Filed.......
May 2009
Doc's Request.
March 2012
File Transfer...
Jan. 2013
Med's Request
May 2013
Passport Req..
July 2013
VISA ISSUED...
August 2013
LANDED..........
Sept 2013
JDC2011 said:

thanks in advance
In Alberta the health coverage starts immediately, there is NO waiting period for health coverage.

In Ontario there is 90-day wait period.

Rajdeep_Punjab13

Star Member
Apr 2, 2013
Ludhiana
Visa Office......
NDVO
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
03-06-2010
Med's Request
26-06-2013
Med's Done....
08-08-2013
Interview........
Waived OFf
Passport Req..
15-01-2014
VISA ISSUED...
DM on 3rd Feb2014
LANDED..........
Planning by 15th May2014
rizmayo said:
The POF is dependent on family size and is mentioned on CIC website: http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/immigrate/skilled/funds.asp

Getting the job after sending application does not have any impact on POF, only if you go it before applying as arranged employment candidate.

You can be refused entry into Canada for not having enough funds, though the chances of this happening is very slim to none, but you don't want to be the unlucky one who has to face this.

Regards,
Hi Friend , Thanks for you reply. Actually the Link only tells you about the POF to be shown at the time of VISA processing. No where it is mentioned that one has to bring the entire money shown as POF. In the same link it is mentioned the amount to be bring in to Canada is as

" How much money should you bring?

It is a good idea to research how much it costs to live in the place where you plan to settle in Canada.

Bring as much money as you can to make moving and finding a home in Canada easier. Note, however, that Canadian customs regulations require you to declare if you are bringing more than C$10,000 into Canada. If you do not tell them, you may be fined or put in prison. These funds could be in the form of:
How much money should you bring?

It is a good idea to research how much it costs to live in the place where you plan to settle in Canada.

Bring as much money as you can to make moving and finding a home in Canada easier. Note, however, that Canadian customs regulations require you to declare if you are bringing more than C$10,000 into Canada. If you do not tell them, you may be fined or put in prison. These funds could be in the form of:

emamabd

Champion Member
Jun 22, 2012
Rajdeep_Punjab13 said:
Hi Friend , Thanks for you reply. Actually the Link only tells you about the POF to be shown at the time of VISA processing. No where it is mentioned that one has to bring the entire money shown as POF.
If you view the "arrival" link, it states that you are required to bring the minimum amount stated by CIC for the size of your family:

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/immigrate/skilled/arrival.asp

When you arrive, you must have:

Your valid passport and/or travel documents. Your passport must be a regular, private passport. You cannot immigrate to Canada with a diplomatic, government service or public affairs passport.

- Your valid permanent resident visa and your Confirmation of Permanent Residence (COPR). The officer will make sure you are
entering Canada before or on the expiry date shown on your visa. Please note that this document cannot be extended;
therefore, you should make sure to use it before it expires.
- Proof that you have the funds to support yourself and your family after you arrive in Canada.

rizmayo

Aug 17, 2013
Mississauga
Visa Office......
LVO
NOC Code......
IELTS Request
With Application
Med's Request
16-07-2013
Med's Done....
26-08-2013
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
VISA ISSUED...
30-09-2013
Rajdeep_Punjab13 said:
Hi Friend , Thanks for you reply. Actually the Link only tells you about the POF to be shown at the time of VISA processing. No where it is mentioned that one has to bring the entire money shown as POF. In the same link it is mentioned the amount to be bring in to Canada is as

" How much money should you bring?

How much money should you bring?

Yes, the amount you show at the time of application is the same that you need at landing. They are just encouraging you to bring more.

There is no tax on bringing the settlement funds, just declare that you have more than C$10,000 on your declaration form (you will get this on the plane).

Regards,

rose dar

Star Member
Mar 17, 2014
lahore
Category........
Visa Office......
london
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
10-01-2014
Doc's Request.
17-11-2014 than police certificate request27jan 2015
AOR Received.
07-02-2014
File Transfer...
10-01-2014
Med's Request
22-12-2014
Med's Done....
30-12-2014
Interview........
nr
Passport Req..
08-06-2015
VISA ISSUED...
26-06-2015
LANDED..........
03-07-2015
thanx its informative

Meeho

Feb 4, 2012
Cairo
Visa Office......
Damascus
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
14-12-2010
Amound in CAD to carry upon landing

Hello
I am planning to go for 2 weeks to do the landing. can you please advise how much CAD should I carry
Would 6 or 7K be enough?
BR