+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

LANDED NAIJA APPLICANT PLEASE SHARE YOUR EXPERINCE

RN

Star Member
Jan 28, 2010
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
@ Igbehindara, good that you are considering becoming a social worker. It depends on where you got your degree from the UK. It also depends on luck. But yes, you have a upper edge than degree in Nigeria. I am not sure if you have expereince working in the social or community setting/industry. If you have done this in the UK, this may be good for you. You may want to consider going for a masters in social work rather than a bachelor in social work. There is a program at U of T. It is two years. You can also combine with a degree in Health administration, which would mean 3 years. Note that since it is a course and not a research based masters, it is not going to be funded (I mean you dont get paid for doing it and you have to pay tuition of around 7,000 a year).

Igbehindara, where you should be searching for job is charityvillage. www.charityvillage.com. That is where most jobs in the social science, social care, social work field are advertised. I cannot think of anything you can do now. The only thing I can think of now is come with around 3-5 transcripts to Canada. It is tougher to get once you are in Canada. Each transcript should be in a sealed envelope with a stamp of the university over the sealed flap of the envellop. Do not open the envelop. You will need this when you are applying to go back to school.

Seglad, and Oloye: Would be a pleasure to meet with you. My schedule may be quite tight but we can always talk over the phone (3 way calling). Thanks for the invite.

Imu, you are welcome

Right, thank you but how come I dont see the + 1 in my ratings

KC..., how come I dont see the +1. How is our book plan going. :)Thanks.

Remain blessed everyone and good success ahead.

Toluwanile

Sep 4, 2010
Category........
Visa Office......
Accra
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
04 Jan 2010
Doc's Request.
23 Feb 2010
File Transfer...
20 March 2010
Med's Request
21 Mar 2012
Med's Done....
26 April 2012
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
17 July 2012
VISA ISSUED...
23 July 2012
LANDED..........
sept 2012
@Seglad

Oga seglad we all fine o. I thank God for his grace upon your life and honestly speaking, i like your spirit. We all should be ready to take up survival jobs until proper certification in our different professions are done. The Lord will make all things work together for your good.
Regards to your family.
Tolu.

igbehinadara

Champion Member
Dec 6, 2009
Canada
Category........
PNP
Visa Office......
Avo
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
Dec 2015
Nomination.....
Nov 2016
IELTS Request
NA
VISA ISSUED...
July 2017
LANDED..........
October 2017
RN,thanks for the prompt response. Yes,have got sufficient experience from the Uk and have worked in various setting but am not too sure of the setting in Canada.where it to be in the Uk ,i can work in housing,education,probation officer,people with learning difficulties,people wt drug and alcohol the list is countless. I graduated from University of Gloucestershire in South West Thanks Ig

RN

Star Member
Jan 28, 2010
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Tolu... I agree, people should be ready to take up survival job. Some people become very arrogant when they come to Canada and often times arrogant people end up in a whole lot of trouble later.

Igbehin, yes, it is the same as Canada. people with your background work in such fields. Charityvillage is the place to keep your eyes on. The other option you may have if you like to teach is go back to school for 1 year (12 months) to become a teacher in Canada. Teachers in Canada are different from Nigeria, they are more respected here in Canada. Just another option for you (your options are quite broad).

When you get here, you may want to apply to work with people with disabilities. Dorvict, Jodal (both Nigerian Agency) and Elliot (not a Nigerian agency) may be willing to hire you for close to minimum wage. You will need to complete a first aid and CPR course. Due to your qualification, while you do this, you can apply for positions with people with learning difficulties, autism, etc. With your experience and education in the UK, you do have a much upper edge. Before you apply, remember to make your resume Canadian style. Go to an employment resource centre for them to help you with this. You will also need a cover letter which they will be able to help you with.

Great luck to you

Right

Champion Member
Dec 18, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
YES
RN said:
Right, thank you but how come I dont see the + 1 in my ratings
Have you seen it now? I forgot to put it then...cheers

Awoderu A.A

Jul 22, 2010
Ikorodu Lagos
Category........
Visa Office......
ACCRA
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
14-MAY-2010
Doc's Request.
29-OCT-2010
Nomination.....
N/A
AOR Received.
29-10-2010
IELTS Request
29-10-2010
File Transfer...
IN PROCESS - 3-MARCH-2012
Med's Request
6-MARCH-2012
RN said:
To add to my post, I present things from the way I see things, which may change over time, others may have a different story and everyone is always in a learning process. For example, I stated about insurance that you should expect around 200-400 bucks per month (I think I said this earlier). However, I just realized today that their are some insurance companies where you may get less, however, the service or coverage will also be less. Hence, what I mean is that you may be able to get things lesser or easier than stated if you dig into the community and are willing to get something either lesser than ideal, lesser than recommended or lesser than legal. I am not the best with this type of knowledge.

Although, this may not be a big deal for Nigerians, but I write this in case other people are coming to this thread. I advice people who have bad English speaking or writing skills to learn or strenghten it before they come to Canada. It will be really difficult to get a job with weak English. One thing that may exist for Nigerians is written English. This may be much more important for those planning to go back to school after getting to Canada. What I mean is that some people may be ok at writing English in like chating or writing a note for their children but when it is time to write a scholarly paper, they may be absolutely weak on sentence structure or paragraph structure. It creates more challenges if English becomes a weakness. Some schools have writing centres with individuals who can help with improving Language skills and editing. I suggest to use this if enrolled in a university program. Also, I notice there are sometimes minor cultural variations in the use of English language (even it exist within Canada). With practice, it may be possible to pick up on this skills.

The other thing that bugs a lot of Nigerias (bugs me too) is accent. Everyone has an accent. It is very frustrating when you are speaking and people say pardon, pardon. Many Nigerians I know feel frustrated not with competency in speaking correct English (except in academic situations as described above) but in accent. It is very difficult for adults to change their accent. It is more challenging I think for the person to understand you if you loose confidence because you are afraid of your accent. What I mean is that you still need to speak with confidence (not over confidence) even with the accent and ensure you speak out (not too low) . The other thing is watching Canadian movies to help with the accent. Others may suggest what they do in terms of accent.

Regarding children (especially under 14), I personally support speaking our language (Yoruba, Ibo, Hasa, etc) to them. We dont have to speak English to them at home (especially if you want them to have the slightest clue of the language 5 years down the road). They will learn the language in school especially for children under 10 they will adjust with time. As opposed to Nigeria, remember all they speak and understand in school is English. I would even encourage people who speak english at home to their children in Nigeria to change it once they come to Canada to a total Yoruba. Also, if you want them to learn basic Nigerian manners, (e.g. how to greet a elder, what hand to use to give someting to someone older), you need to do this totally from A toZ at home. Thats why sometimes socializing (e.g. going to Nigerian church or events) with Nigerians may be important

I encourage others to contribute and to dialogue about this. But in the past, when I have spoken with speech and language pathologist, they have suggested speaking the language from back home to children
Thanks RN. You are put light on issues that we would normally overlook but are very important. Keep up the good work! we are feeling you jare

oynx

Feb 23, 2011
seglad said:
@ RN, On behalf of fellow Nigerians on this thread, i would like to say thank you very much for your extreme knowledge and understanding on Canadian settlement shared with us. Your posts show the spirits of togetherness, oneness, brotherly love and unity. These spirits, we are impacting in us and bringing into Canada to form a new Nigerian- Canadian Community. Many members on this forum have identified the needs to become united rather than tainting or labeling ourself with all sorts of names with bad characters and attitudes. We are a reformed Nigerians and cant wait for a re-union with members i left in Nigeria into Canada to continue the new life, new spirits and new goals. Oloye and Myself would not mind to meet with you,if you would PM your number to me.
thanks pa seglad. glad all is going well. regards to family.

@ All, am not doing bad at all in term of integrating into Canadian values and community. Children have started schooling,all workshops and seminars on jobs search, resume,cover letter, tax returns, and how to better integrate have been completed
I am ready to take up a factory job or a security job at the moment until i finish my professional certification. Owing a car is a must and will get one soon.

@ Ig, Tinu, Tolu, Spokes, Oynx, and Mot, i greet all our mother in-house,All the PA's i salute you too o.

Kcsider

Jan 27, 2011
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
Dec 2012
Thank u RN, u r indeed an asset to this thread.

My own kind of +1 is divine touch. It is well with u!

For the books, I am taking my notes for sure. U may have to write the foreword LOL

Thanks all the same

tinuadeadebola

Champion Member
Feb 28, 2010
Category........
Visa Office......
Accra
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
10th April 2010
Doc's Request.
22-06-2010
AOR Received.
22-06-2010
IELTS Request
already taken
File Transfer...
26-06-2010
Med's Request
June18th 2012
Med's Done....
June 21st 2012
Passport Req..
August 21st 2012
VISA ISSUED...
August 27th 2012
LANDED..........
February, 2013
Thanks again RN for your very insightful write ups. More grease to your elbows.
@landed Seniors please has anyone heard from dreamteam? trust all is well with him

igbehinadara

Champion Member
Dec 6, 2009
Canada
Category........
PNP
Visa Office......
Avo
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
Dec 2015
Nomination.....
Nov 2016
IELTS Request
NA
VISA ISSUED...
July 2017
LANDED..........
October 2017
RN,

All you have advised have been noted and kept on my left hand!so i don't eat and forget them.Anyways i have my all the necessary training certificates all i need do is a refresher which am willing.I would love you to find time to meet with seglad and oloye inspite of your tight schedule.YOU ARE A STAR AN GOD BLESS YOU.Have learnt so much in such a short time.

Ig

Oloye

Oct 4, 2007
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Ig,
I and Seglad had a conference call with RN yesterday night and it was good. We agreed to have a common front and come together to always be our brothers keepers. We hope to have more of this conference call soon and i hope to suggest that we join those that have landed but far from us when next we have such call.

RN is a resource, no doubt and together we shall always be here to provide soft landing for our pple. We also hope to meet and discuss with you guys as one body during the next Lagos meeting.

Have a great day.

Oloye

Right

Champion Member
Dec 18, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
YES
Oloye said:
Ig,
I and Seglad had a conference call with RN yesterday night and it was good. We agreed to have a common front and come together to always be our brothers keepers. We hope to have more of this conference call soon and i hope to suggest that we join those that have landed but far from us when next we have such call.
RN is a resource, no doubt and together we shall always be here to provide soft landing for our pple. We also hope to meet and discuss with you guys as one body during the next Lagos meeting.
Have a great day.
Oloye
You guyz are making me feel larger than life. Naija we hail thee. whatelse can I say..Thank you God for making me a Nigerian!

spokes

Nov 8, 2010
Category........
Visa Office......
Accra
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
Already landed!
Right said:
You guyz are making me feel larger than life. Naija we hail thee. whatelse can I say..Thank you God for making me a Nigerian!
Pa Right don't get soppy and start crying now! :eek: ;D
Naija is sweet!

igbehinadara

Champion Member
Dec 6, 2009
Canada
Category........
PNP
Visa Office......
Avo
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
Dec 2015
Nomination.....
Nov 2016
IELTS Request
NA
VISA ISSUED...
July 2017
LANDED..........
October 2017
Oloye,So good to hear that you guys had a 3way discussion.Thanks and God bless.Work in progress as per your girls.Nice wknd.Ig

lnd_dan

Jun 18, 2010
Category........
Visa Office......
Accra
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
17-01-2013
Nomination.....
16-05-2013
AOR Received.
16-05-2013
File Transfer...
14-08-2013
Med's Request
28-08-2013
Med's Done....
29-08-2013
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
07-10-2013
VISA ISSUED...
08-10-2013
LANDED..........
19-10-2013
Landed snr. Please which is better and cheaper to pay with Ghana cedis or canadian dollars for RPRF?