+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Landed Immigrants: Share Landing, Job hunt, house hunt & other experience

maverick_stallion

Feb 18, 2010
Rocky,

It seems nice to see that you are targetting CFA but as i got to know from many persons its much more difficult to clear. Feedback says you can clear level 1 but level 2 n 3 are very challenging. I think the same prob exists with CMA, CGA type of exams where you clear it by self study.

I found that the MBA Finance course run by univ of alberta to be quite good as its rated among the top 40 b schools. I think if i get a good gmat score and may be TA ship then it will be smooth sailing... your views on the same pl... ;)

rocky272727

VIP Member
May 21, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
maverick_stallion said:
Rocky,

It seems nice to see that you are targetting CFA but as i got to know from many persons its much more difficult to clear. Feedback says you can clear level 1 but level 2 n 3 are very challenging. I think the same prob exists with CMA, CGA type of exams where you clear it by self study.

I found that the MBA Finance course run by univ of alberta to be quite good as its rated among the top 40 b schools. I think if i get a good gmat score and may be TA ship then it will be smooth sailing... your views on the same pl... ;)
Well for MBA Fin, I agree with you. But I have very deep interest in financial analysis and have been following up for CFA for long now. And yeah L1 is easy as compared with L2,3

penpal

Sep 30, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
London
NOC Code......
0111/1111
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
VISA ISSUED...
LANDED..........
Planning in Autumn of 2010
rocky272727 said:
Well for MBA Fin, I agree with you. But I have very deep interest in financial analysis and have been following up for CFA for long now. And yeah L1 is easy as compared with L2,3
Hi Rocky,

Great to see that u r pursuing CFA.I also heard that the levels 2 and 3 are a bit difficult.Tell me how is the scope for the CFA in canada right now.If you can throw some light on this it will help many prospective students like me.You may provide some sources/links as to how to go about this course.My aim is to pursue the CGA course which is only possible in canada.But if i had known that the CFA could be completed even outside canada,then i may hv given a shot at it.

Thanks and all the best on your endeavours.People like u and Qorax hv enriched this forum immensely.

- Room 2-3 Bed Room Rent $ 1000-1500
- Basement $ 500-1000
- Electricity may be included it depends upon the landlord.
- Grocery & Food $ 3-400 per month
- Mobile - $ 20 - 60 per person.
- TV subscription BELL/ROGERS service - $50 - 100

In total $ 1000-2000 for a family of 3 in Toronto and GTA

penpal

Sep 30, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
London
NOC Code......
0111/1111
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
VISA ISSUED...
LANDED..........
rocky272727 said:
Hi Rocky,

Great to see that u r pursuing CFA.I also heard that the levels 2 and 3 are a bit difficult.Tell me how is the scope for the CFA in canada right now.If you can throw some light on this it will help many prospective students like me.You may provide some sources/links as to how to go about this course.My aim is to pursue the CGA course which is only possible in canada.But if i had known that the CFA could be completed even outside canada,then i may hv given a shot at it.

Thanks and all the best on your endeavours.People like u and Qorax hv enriched this forum immensely.

Sorry for the previous mail as there was some problem.

maverick_stallion

Feb 18, 2010
aybee said:
Dear rocky, Qorax

I have found couple of places in the GTA who offer such Co-Op courses (although Unpaid) like at Humber, Seneca and the Peel Newcomer organization etc. From this co-op work that i will do, would my resume look more attractive and will it attract employer as then i would have gained Canadian experience. This is what all of them claim. Is this the ground reality as well. I hope then they don't say that i do not have "PAID CANADIAN EXPERIENCE :p"

Anyone has experience and success with such courses ?
Dear aybee,

Can you pl clarify the meaning of co-op courses [unpaid]....

rocky272727

VIP Member
May 21, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
penpal said:
Hi Rocky,

- Room 2-3 Bed Room Rent $ 1000-1500
- Basement $ 500-1000
- Electricity may be included it depends upon the landlord.
- Grocery & Food $ 3-400 per month
- Mobile - $ 20 - 60 per person.
- TV subscription BELL/ROGERS service - $50 - 100

In total $ 1000-2000 for a family of 3 in Toronto and GTA
Thanks.

CGA has good demand in Canada and nearly any 75K starting job requires a CGA but CFA opens the doors for Canada, US and many other countries.

rocky272727

VIP Member
May 21, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Thanks Hilow for sharing it. Source:

http://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/peace-bridge-landing-nseers-and-using-avr-t44888.0.html

I have recv'd immense help from the different boards on how to do Canada landing and deal with US immigration. So I thought i give back and share my landing experience. I landed in first week of June 2010 and here are my details:

1. Came to US on F1 visa
2. Changed status to H1b
3. Never had a H1B stamp, so wanted to use AVR (Automatic visa revalidation)
4. From pakistan so was under NSEERS
5. Recv'd my Canadian Perm residence VISA few months back

Exiting USA

I flew to Buffalo on Sunday night. Stayed there for the night and was up early Monday morning. Had my breakfast and set out to Peace bridge at about 9 AM. Since I have to comply with NSEERS, before leaving USA I had to stop by the Duty Free shop. There is a small room on the side of the building and it says "NSEERS" on it.

Went in, there was a lady officer inside. Told her I need to do exit registration. She took my passport and I94. Took my fingerprint and my picture and said I was good to go. At that time, I asked her about the AVR rule, making sure I would be able to re-enter US. She did not know but she did call the Peace Bridge Immigration and confirmed that I will be able to use AVR and come back. I then went back to my car and started driving through the bridge (paid $3 toll) and crossed into Canada. Very pleasant experience, the lady officer was nice and helpful.

Entering Canada

Stopped by the booth on the Canada side. Told the officer I was doing landing. He gave me a slip and told me to park to the side and enter the building behind the booth. Very Important: If you are carrying over $10K, DECLARE IT AT THAT POINT. I did not, but more on that later

Went into the building. Was a short line. The guy before me was apparently trying to enter Canada and was refused, for the third time! That probably left the officer in a bad mood but i thought watever and I proceeded. Told the officer I am doing landing and gave her my COPR and passport with the visa. She started typing and after a few minutes asked to see proof of funds. I was carrying a money order of about $15K that I gave her. Her first question was if i declared it outside at the booth. I said no since I thought it needed to be declared inside the building. She warned me that they could have seized my money order, but she was nice so she let me of the hook Lesson learned . She asked me for a Canadian address. I said I did not have any and told her i would return to US the same day. She was fine with it. She had my sign the COPR, and staped a copy to the passport. She congrated me on becoming a PR and pointed me towards the Customs section.

Went to the customs desk and the lady there also did not seem to be in a good mood. I gave her my prepared printed list of GoodstoFollow. She got irritated when I did not have a canadian address. I politely challeneged her as to why she needed a canadian address. She didnt have a good answer to that. In the end, she just put my US address in. I declared my 15K POF there and she filled out a form and had me sign it. She became nicer at the end, as atleast she started to smile. Not that I cared that much

Allright, so got done and drove around Fort Erie for a little bit. Almost seemed like US except for the metric system (use KM instead of miles etc). Overall, experience was pleasant.

Going back to US

Ok, so took the highway back towards Peace bridge. Stopped at the US booth. Gave the officer my expired visa (f1) and the h1b i94 and explained the AVR rule. He sent me to secondary inspection. Now for NSEERS, you are escorcted to the building. So they asked me to leave keys in the rental car and an officer walked me to the building. They will park your car themselves and search it. After waiting about 5 minutes, I was called to the booth. I gave that officer the same set of documents and explained AVR. The officer started laughing slightly and starting looking at the officer next to him. He thought I was crazy trying to enter with an expired visa!! So he took all documents (ie passports with visa (f1 and canadian), i94s from all of my exployers) and asked me to sit. After about 15 minutes called me back and asked a few questions: 1) What did you go to school for? 2) what are my job responsiblities? 3) When I started my job? 4) If i left Canada?. He then took my fingerprints and picture and I was good to leave!

Overall, the experience here was also pleasant.

My advice:

1) Stay calm and answer all of your questions confidently.
2) Address them as officers
3) Carry ALL documentation. Rather carry extra than not having a document when it's needed

rocky272727

VIP Member
May 21, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Very Important Information.

Hi

I know this information is valid for Ontario Province and might be for the rest as well (Check the websites of local municipality for more information on it.)

People who take basements as rented accommodation make sure its a legalized basement and the landlord is allowed to do so. The tenant might not be in problem with any legal issues but due to this problem then landlord can ask the tenant to vacate the accommodation soon and it may create little problem and inconvenience. Basements before 1995, November are legal to be rented out. After that it is not legal.

Be cautious.

penpal

Sep 30, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
London
NOC Code......
0111/1111
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
VISA ISSUED...
LANDED..........
Hi Rocky,

What is a basement ?Is it like a studio apartment or anything else?

Thnx

mystic444

Jun 20, 2010
I did my landing at Pearson Toronto and returned after 10 days. I could not list all my jewellery in goods to follow list as i had no photographs as the jewellery was in the locker. WIll I be able to list it in my second landing when I will go to settle in July 2011. Will they accept this list with photographs as list to follow during my second landing.

Seniors please advice I need help and guidance

aybee

Nov 2, 2009
Chandigarh
Category........
Visa Office......
new delhi
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
17-October-2009
IELTS Request
overall - 8 (7 above in each)
LANDED..........
5-July-2010
Dear Rocky,

In one of the earlier posts, you have advised to contact the Immigrant Serving Organization. I will be landing on the 5th in Toronto.

I have got the address of couple of these Organizations in Peel area. I want to ask that are these organizations really that helpful as they claim to be. Do they really provide the various Language and Employment services and are they good. Have you personally or heard from others that they have volunteered in these organizations and have made new friends.

rupesh

Star Member
Sep 27, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
qorax said:
I knew what u meant when u asked the query before. But rest assured, the answer remains the same. They don't care, unless either of the 2:
A. The Funds r enormous, requiring proof of source. [Anything above $40-50K might qualify for that]
B. They have a premonition of any hanky-panky. [Very unlikely situation]

Qorax
I received cashier cheque and it is issued in my name and payable at Toronto also it contains remitters name... will this create a problem ? also

I have one query .. if i take TCDC card and top up with CAD 2000 and have cashier cheque of USD 15K (from US bank).. do they accept this as POF of (~17K).. Plzzz help.... immediate response needed in this matter...

sushid0c

Star Member
Oct 25, 2007
rupesh said:
I received cashier cheque and it is issued in my name and payable at Toronto also it contains remitters name... will this create a problem ? also

I have one query .. if i take TCDC card and top up with CAD 2000 and have cashier cheque of USD 15K (from US bank).. do they accept this as POF of (~17K).. Plzzz help.... immediate response needed in this matter...
hi rupesh

what is TCDC ?? you mean travellers cheques.

travellers cheques and bank drafts totalling to approx 17000 should be absolutely fine.

rupesh I landed with 2000 CAD cash and rest was all bank statements in mine and my husbands name ( equiv for 3 people). I had got the bank letter with logo and stamp stating the balance and last 1 year statements stamped and sealed. also carried the original cheque book and pass book of bank of baroda and international visa debit card, just in case they ask how will you draw the money from this account of india.

So I think you should be rest assured

everything will be fine. do update us when you complete your landing

sushidoc

sushid0c

Star Member
Oct 25, 2007
hi.

this is for rocky272727 and others

have you got your PR cards?????? From your posts rocky272727 i gathered that you landed around 26th may , I landed on 20th may and after spending 2 weeks there , came back to india.

please update

sushidoc

rocky272727

VIP Member
May 21, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
penpal said:
Hi Rocky,

What is a basement ?Is it like a studio apartment or anything else?

Thnx
Basement is the area below the living floor where you may have a room, a bath room and a dinning room as well. It depends upon the area and house. And it is just a basement below the house which people usually like to rent it out.