+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Just Married.. What now? (spousal sponsorship questions)

kasia333

Star Member
May 14, 2013
Ottawa, ON
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
5-21-14 received 5-23-14
AOR Received.
SA 07-23-14
Med's Request
upfront
Med's Done....
4-30-2014
VISA ISSUED...
CoPR 10-10-14
LANDED..........
10-16-14
If your spouse, partner or accompanying dependent child lives with you in Canada, use the Application for Permanent Residence in Canada—Spouse or Common-law Partner.

If your spouse, partner or dependent child lives outside Canada, use the Application to Sponsor a Member of the Family Class (FC).
If you are approved as a sponsor, the CPC will forward your family member’s application for permanent residence to the appropriate Canadian visa office to continue its processing.

Ok, out of those two options... which one do we choose? I plan on living in Canada and apply outland. My husband is confused and I'm starting to be as well.

Help please?

QuebecOkie

Champion Member
Sep 23, 2012
Very French Quebec
Category........
Visa Office......
Vegreville
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
23-10-2012
AOR Received.
28-01-2013
Med's Done....
10-04-2013
Passport Req..
AIP 30-08-2013
VISA ISSUED...
DM 30-08-2013
LANDED..........
10-10-2013
kasia333 said:
Few more questions came up:

1) Can I get the FBI criminal checking done in Canada? Is there a place for that?
2) Can someone please tell me the process (timeline wise) of going about getting the FBI and the doctor stuff done? (just so we know when to start what and don't waste time)
3) I understand everything has to be sent together, but is there ANYTHING I can do while still in U.S. ??

Thank you in advance. Sorry about all the questions.
Regardless of where you are, you mail your fingerprints and the form to the same place in the US for the FBI check. It took about six weeks to get ours back.

You can get your FBI certificate (but you don't want to get it too early, as CIC has to receive it within 3 months of the date the FBI issued it), and you can do your medical (again, you want to do that as close to the time you plan to send your app as possible, as it expires after one year). Most of all, you can start to go through all the forms to make sure you're familiar with the application, use the guide to figure all of it out, and put together your relationship proofs, so that all that's left is the final filling out of the forms and mailing the full app.

kasia333 said:
If your spouse, partner or accompanying dependent child lives with you in Canada, use the Application for Permanent Residence in Canada—Spouse or Common-law Partner.

If your spouse, partner or dependent child lives outside Canada, use the Application to Sponsor a Member of the Family Class (FC).
If you are approved as a sponsor, the CPC will forward your family member's application for permanent residence to the appropriate Canadian visa office to continue its processing.

Ok, out of those two options... which one do we choose? I plan on living in Canada and apply outland. My husband is confused and I'm starting to be as well.

Help please?
The second one is for outland. You're not "living" in Canada. You are "visiting" your Canadian spouse while your outland application is being processed. ;)

kasia333

Star Member
May 14, 2013
Ottawa, ON
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
5-21-14 received 5-23-14
AOR Received.
SA 07-23-14
Med's Request
upfront
Med's Done....
4-30-2014
VISA ISSUED...
CoPR 10-10-14
LANDED..........
10-16-14
QuebecOkie said:
Regardless of where you are, you mail your fingerprints and the form to the same place in the US for the FBI check. It took about six weeks to get ours back.

You can get your FBI certificate (but you don't want to get it too early, as CIC has to receive it within 3 months of the date the FBI issued it), and you can do your medical (again, you want to do that as close to the time you plan to send your app as possible, as it expires after one year). Most of all, you can start to go through all the forms to make sure you're familiar with the application, use the guide to figure all of it out, and put together your relationship proofs, so that all that's left is the final filling out of the forms and mailing the full app.
Ok, so let me get this straight... you do the FBI, and it takes 6 weeks for you to get it back in your house/apt/place of living. Does it come in a sealed envelope or something? Can you open it? Then you do the medical... does it have to be done in the same country as the FBI?? Does it matter which country you do it in? Will they have something against me getting it done in Canada while "visiting"??

We decided to get all the proofs and application together when I'm there "visiting"... since we'll have each other and his family there (who are great help).

Sorry for the silly questions. You are helping heeps :D

kasia333

Star Member
May 14, 2013
Ottawa, ON
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
5-21-14 received 5-23-14
AOR Received.
SA 07-23-14
Med's Request
upfront
Med's Done....
4-30-2014
VISA ISSUED...
CoPR 10-10-14
LANDED..........
10-16-14
Also, I think I will be "visiting" beginning of December. That is probably too soon to start things

Alurra71

VIP Member
Oct 5, 2012
Ontario
Visa Office......
Vegreville
App. Filed.......
07-12-2012
AOR Received.
21-01-2013
Interview........
waived
VISA ISSUED...
28-11-2013
LANDED..........
19-12-2013
There is not time limit for when you can start things. You are married so it doesn't matter when you send in your application. You have to have actual inked prints done for your FBI clearance, so be sure you'll be able to have your prints taken wherever you are. It does take about 6 weeks to get it back, yes you can open it. It will be in a mailing envelope addressed to you wherever you want the results sent. No, it won't matter if you have your medical done in Canada. I found it much cheaper to do mine there as opposed to the US because I didn't have insurance. I think it was roughly a total of $250 total for my physical, xrays, bloodwork etc. Everything that needs to be done for immigration.

If I were doing it again, which I never hope to have to do, I would wait until I am complete with my filled out application and relationship proofs. I would THEN send for my FBI certificate, and about 4 weeks into the wait for that, I would schedule my doctors appointment and have my physical done. Then once my certificate arrived, I would ensure it was all completed, and most importantly ALL PAPERS SIGNED EVERYWHERE THEY NEED IT! Be sure sure sure to read all of those signature lines. Some say sign here if you have blah blah blah, some say sign here if you dont have blah blah blah, just make sure you read and sign everywhere you need to.

If you plan to apply outland, yes use the outland application packet. It won't matter if you are staying inside of Canada with your hubby while it is being completed. If you get called for an interview, you will however have to show up at the office they are processing your visa at.

Just sit down and familiarize yourself with the papers. I know they look daunting and a lot of the questions confuse the hell out of you, but it is easier than it first appears. My husband and I spend money on having a consultation place do ours for us. Had I known this board existed prior to our application being done, I would've saved that money for something else! LOL There is much help to be had here. When you get stuck and don't understand something, ask, and likely you'll have all the information you need before the day is finished.

Good luck!

kasia333

Star Member
May 14, 2013
Ottawa, ON
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
5-21-14 received 5-23-14
AOR Received.
SA 07-23-14
Med's Request
upfront
Med's Done....
4-30-2014
VISA ISSUED...
CoPR 10-10-14
LANDED..........
10-16-14
You guys are awesome! Thank you!

:D :D :D

kasia333

Star Member
May 14, 2013
Ottawa, ON
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
5-21-14 received 5-23-14
AOR Received.
SA 07-23-14
Med's Request
upfront
Med's Done....
4-30-2014
VISA ISSUED...
CoPR 10-10-14
LANDED..........
10-16-14
Hello again,

Another question came up:

How long is the FBI check valid for? Just wondering because I realize it takes a while for them to send it back.

Thank you

QuebecOkie

Champion Member
Sep 23, 2012
Very French Quebec
Category........
Visa Office......
Vegreville
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
23-10-2012
AOR Received.
28-01-2013
Med's Done....
10-04-2013
Passport Req..
AIP 30-08-2013
VISA ISSUED...
DM 30-08-2013
LANDED..........
10-10-2013
CIC must receive the FBI certificate within three months of when the FBI issues it. That makes for a pretty tight timeline, which is why Alurra71 recommended waiting until you had everything else pretty much ready to go before ordering it. The turnaround on it is pretty quick (you should receive the police certificate around 6 weeks after mailing your prints off), so you don't want to get it back and then waste another couple of months finishing up the rest of your app/getting your medical done.

kasia333

Star Member
May 14, 2013
Ottawa, ON
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
5-21-14 received 5-23-14
AOR Received.
SA 07-23-14
Med's Request
upfront
Med's Done....
4-30-2014
VISA ISSUED...
CoPR 10-10-14
LANDED..........
10-16-14
I'm sorry for asking questions that have already been answered.

Thank you

QuebecOkie

Champion Member
Sep 23, 2012
Very French Quebec
Category........
Visa Office......
Vegreville
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
23-10-2012
AOR Received.
28-01-2013
Med's Done....
10-04-2013
Passport Req..
AIP 30-08-2013
VISA ISSUED...
DM 30-08-2013
LANDED..........
10-10-2013
No worries! I wasn't bolding it to be b*tchy, haha. Just to make the answer stand out from the more chatty bit.

No one forces any of us to be on this forum, to read anything in particular, or to respond to anything. I hang out here a lot because it's nice to make contact with people who actually UNDERSTAND how all of this feels. I respond because, having been in the process for around a year, I've learned a bit, some on my own, more with the help of this forum. I'm happy when my limited knowledge can help someone early in their process. :) I sure as HECK got a lot of help here, and I like to return the favour.

This forum inarguably saved me MONTHS on my application process. I'd have saved even more time if I'd have found it sooner. (Mistakes I made along the way.)

kasia333

Star Member
May 14, 2013
Ottawa, ON
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
5-21-14 received 5-23-14
AOR Received.
SA 07-23-14
Med's Request
upfront
Med's Done....
4-30-2014
VISA ISSUED...
CoPR 10-10-14
LANDED..........
10-16-14
Oh I know. I just feel silly at times asking questions.

I just want to make sure I understand everything correctly.

This forum is great. I look forward to the day I can help others through my experience. :)

kasia333

Star Member
May 14, 2013
Ottawa, ON
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
5-21-14 received 5-23-14
AOR Received.
SA 07-23-14
Med's Request
upfront
Med's Done....
4-30-2014
VISA ISSUED...
CoPR 10-10-14
LANDED..........
10-16-14
NAME CHANGE QUESTION:

Ok, so we got married in Ontario. Someone (family member) told that I can use my husband's last name in Ontario when I move "cause it changes automatically"

BUT, now I'm confused based on this:
http://www.ontario.ca/government/changing-your-last-name-just-married

Does that mean that I can't change my name TILL I have my PR and health card????

Also, what if I change my name on my U.S. passport? Will that basically mean that when my PR card gets in, it will automatically be in my new name and with THAT I will have to go change my name?? (or will I have to still change my name???) Does that also mean that I won't be able to use my husband's last name till I get my PR/health card???

I'm just trying to figure out which name I can use where, and if I have to hurry up and file for a new passport here in the states.

Thanks

Millertimez

Jun 12, 2013
Ottawa
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
04-12-2013
AOR Received.
03-01-2014
File Transfer...
10-01-2014
Med's Done....
28-08-2013
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
22-05-2014
VISA ISSUED...
25-06-2014
LANDED..........
01-08-2014
This is a great forum. Thank you all for the wonderful advice.

I married my American wife on August 25, 2013 in Minnesota. We decided to apply outland and she would remain there until the process is over. We got the medicals and fingerprints done the following week. I believe we paid $420 to have the medical exam done, $8 for the fingerprints. Currently in the process of gathering all the documentations needed for the application. Sent out the fingerprints out to the FBI on September 10, and if everything goes according to the six weeks mentioned here, I should get it back around the first week of November. I plan on submitting our application the day after I receive the FBI certificate letter.

All the best of luck to you all.

kasia333

Star Member
May 14, 2013
Ottawa, ON
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
5-21-14 received 5-23-14
AOR Received.
SA 07-23-14
Med's Request
upfront
Med's Done....
4-30-2014
VISA ISSUED...
CoPR 10-10-14
LANDED..........
10-16-14
Also, one more question:

When I'm there as a visitor, before I get my PR, can my husband put me on his credit card or bank account??

I'm still going to keep my U.S. account, but transfers between banks can be tricky.. Any advice on that?

Alurra71

VIP Member
Oct 5, 2012
Ontario
Visa Office......
Vegreville
App. Filed.......
07-12-2012
AOR Received.
21-01-2013
Interview........
waived
VISA ISSUED...
28-11-2013
LANDED..........
19-12-2013
kasia333 said:
Also, one more question:

When I'm there as a visitor, before I get my PR, can my husband put me on his credit card or bank account??

I'm still going to keep my U.S. account, but transfers between banks can be tricky.. Any advice on that?
Yes, he can put you on his bank account and credit cards, however, be aware that Canada works different than the US in that regard. Just because you are married, he is the primary owner of the credit account, you will still have NO CREDIT in Canada. Once you settle in, apply for credit in your own name to obtain a credit history in Canada.

Banks are funny over here. Me and hubby use RBC. I had to open a US RBC account in order to get money to a us account as they wouldn't allow a transfer directly from our Canadian account to my US bank. The RBC US account is easy to deal with as there is no checks, but they do auto pays for you and you get a visa debit card as is customary for most US checking accounts. Canada doesn't do visa logo on their bank cards. Is similar in a lot of instances but quite different in others, you'll have to get used to it. Some things you'll want to tear your hair out because it seems so danged retarded, but you gotta do it their way.

You don't want to do money wires to your US account because not only do you get charged the money wire fee, likely from BOTH sides of the border, you will also be charged the exchange rate at the time. Like I said above, RBC worked well for us, because we have the standard Canadian checking account with bank cards, we have the US account with the us visa debit card for paying my outstanding debts on the us side and we recently opened up a US funds account with our local branch. I get US currency fairly regularly, and paying exchange to get it into our account here, then transfer it to the US side, it was becoming painful, so we opened the US currency account and now I put all my US currency in there and transfer it to the US account as needed to pay my bills, no exchange rate.

Anyway, I know I did a lot of talking to not say much, but I'm tired and I tend to ramble when I'm tired. If you need anything else, holler, I'll help if I can. :D