+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Just Married.. What now? (spousal sponsorship questions)

kasia333

Star Member
May 14, 2013
Ottawa, ON
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
5-21-14 received 5-23-14
AOR Received.
SA 07-23-14
Med's Request
upfront
Med's Done....
4-30-2014
VISA ISSUED...
CoPR 10-10-14
LANDED..........
10-16-14
but he had that done in Canada. Can I be denied in US when I do tests here? Also, I don't have insurance here in US.

My husband was going to put me on his work insurance at work. Can he do that before my PR goes through? Will I not be able to have insurance from his work until my PR goes through?

kittyandpipit

Star Member
Jun 18, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
30-10-2013
AOR Received.
31-10-2013
File Transfer...
sent to LA 14/06/2014
Med's Done....
18-09-2013
LANDED..........
been in Canada since may 2013
yeah but it doesnt matter where you have it done. its still on the list of panel of physicians that cic accepts.

QuebecOkie

Champion Member
Sep 23, 2012
Very French Quebec
Category........
Visa Office......
Vegreville
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
23-10-2012
AOR Received.
28-01-2013
Med's Done....
10-04-2013
Passport Req..
AIP 30-08-2013
VISA ISSUED...
DM 30-08-2013
LANDED..........
10-10-2013
To request an extension of your visitor status, start here: http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/visit/extend-stay.asp. I think it costs $75. I did mine online. I was honest, and said I wanted to continue to stay with my husband while my PR application was processed. I asked for one year and got it. You're supposed to apply at least 30 days before your current status expires. We had to send proof of how I could afford to support myself, so we included a copy of my husband pay statement, as he supports me.

As for the medical, the only reason you could be denied for medical reasons under family class is if you have some sort of disease that would put other Canadians at risks. Something communicable and dangerous. Relax on the medical, for sure. Doesn't matter where you have it done, as long as you use a CIC panel physician (I provided a link earlier that you can use to find a panel physician in the U.S.).

I don't know about your husband's insurance. He'll have to talk to his insurance provider about insuring a foreign national dependent. As for not having insurance in the U.S., that's not an issue for the application or medical. I'm insured through my husband, but they don't cover immigration exams. We just paid out of pocket. It was almost $400 up here (Québec), but I've read that it's a good bit cheaper a lot of places. If there are several panel physicians located near you, call each and ask what they charge. There ARE differences from office to office. Also, be sure to ask and make notes about everything you need to bring with you. PR photographs are required, and the doc I used only accepted cash.

firsttimemom

Jul 8, 2013
QuebecOkie said:
Haha, didn't realize how long that reply became. Hope it's helpful. MAN, how I wish I'd known half of what I do now when I started this process! At any rate, we bungled our way through it, we've received DM (decision made, stage two approval), and now we're just waiting for a landing appointment. I could have saved myself a lot of stress if I'd read up more in the beginning or found this forum earlier.

Thought you might want the FBI background check info. Here's the site: http://www.fbi.gov/about-us/cjis/criminal-history-summary-checks/submitting-a-criminal-history-summary-request-to-the-fbi.
What if you apply inland, do i need to get my medical done first before submitting the hole application? I just got married too here in Canada last August. 24 and we're planning to submit INLAND APPLICATION. Thank you

QuebecOkie

Champion Member
Sep 23, 2012
Very French Quebec
Category........
Visa Office......
Vegreville
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
23-10-2012
AOR Received.
28-01-2013
Med's Done....
10-04-2013
Passport Req..
AIP 30-08-2013
VISA ISSUED...
DM 30-08-2013
LANDED..........
10-10-2013
Yes, you should do that exam before you submit your application. Again, however, you should do it as close as possible to the time when you plan to actually submit the application, as it expires after one year. They *can* opt to extend it (that's a whole different conversation), but the older your medical exam is when you submit, the more likely you'll have to do a second medical before the end of the process.

The link on the first page of this discussion will help you find a panel physician inside or outside of Canada.

QuebecOkie

Champion Member
Sep 23, 2012
Very French Quebec
Category........
Visa Office......
Vegreville
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
23-10-2012
AOR Received.
28-01-2013
Med's Done....
10-04-2013
Passport Req..
AIP 30-08-2013
VISA ISSUED...
DM 30-08-2013
LANDED..........
10-10-2013
I say "should" do the exam. http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/medical/medexams-perm.asp You can wait for CIC to request it, but that can delay processing of your application. It would have delayed mine significantly, as I received AIP (application in principle, stage one approval) and DM (decision made, stage two approval) on the same day. If my medical wasn't already on file, I would have had to wait who-knows-how-many-more months for DM.

firsttimemom

Jul 8, 2013
QuebecOkie said:
Yes, you should do that exam before you submit your application. Again, however, you should do it as close as possible to the time when you plan to actually submit the application, as it expires after one year. They *can* opt to extend it (that's a whole different conversation), but the older your medical exam is when you submit, the more likely you'll have to do a second medical before the end of the process.

The link on the first page of this discussion will help you find a panel physician inside or outside of Canada.
Thank you so much for the quick answer.. So If we will submit our application by the end of October 2013, i should book an appointment before we submit the application and get a copy of my medical that I done it already? Do you know how much is the fee? Thanks

kittyandpipit

Star Member
Jun 18, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
30-10-2013
AOR Received.
31-10-2013
File Transfer...
sent to LA 14/06/2014
Med's Done....
18-09-2013
LANDED..........
been in Canada since may 2013
For the medical we paid $150 to the doctor and I think 135 to the hospital for xray and blood work

QuebecOkie

Champion Member
Sep 23, 2012
Very French Quebec
Category........
Visa Office......
Vegreville
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
23-10-2012
AOR Received.
28-01-2013
Med's Done....
10-04-2013
Passport Req..
AIP 30-08-2013
VISA ISSUED...
DM 30-08-2013
LANDED..........
10-10-2013
Yes, if I were you, knowing what I've learned since I started the process, I would book a medical exam in October and include that form with your application. The fee can vary by doctor. You'll have to speak directly with their office. I paid almost $400 in Québec (City), but I know some people paid less.

kasia333

Star Member
May 14, 2013
Ottawa, ON
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
5-21-14 received 5-23-14
AOR Received.
SA 07-23-14
Med's Request
upfront
Med's Done....
4-30-2014
VISA ISSUED...
CoPR 10-10-14
LANDED..........
10-16-14
One more question from us:

In Ontario, my new last name is already recognized after we got married (from what I've been told) . In the states, everything is still under my old one. What name should I file the paperwork under? I was also wondering if I HAVE to change my name before we file the application or if I can do it later on. Will it be easier if I don't change so they can find me easier in the system in the states? Should I just keep everything under my old last name till we get a PR and THEN change it?

Thank you :)

You guys have been great!

QuebecOkie

Champion Member
Sep 23, 2012
Very French Quebec
Category........
Visa Office......
Vegreville
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
23-10-2012
AOR Received.
28-01-2013
Med's Done....
10-04-2013
Passport Req..
AIP 30-08-2013
VISA ISSUED...
DM 30-08-2013
LANDED..........
10-10-2013
We're sort of in the same boat (only with added complications due to living in Québec, lol, but I won't even get into that!). We were married in April 2012, traveled to Canada to look for a house in May 2012, and then started the move (we drove from Oklahoma) in July 2012. Never had a chance to change my name on my passport (worried it wouldn't be returned to me in time for my travels, which would have been devastating).

I listed my name consistently as FName MName Maidenname Marriedname. So if I was Jo Ann Smith, and my husband was Bob Williams, I listed my name as Jo Ann Smith Williams everywhere. All correspondence that CIC has sent has been to "Jo Ann Smith" (maiden name, per passport). My PR card will be issued in the name on my travel document (passport), so it will come to Jo Ann Smith. And actually, I need it to be that way now, because my lovely but impatient father-in-law booked a family trip to Spain for late March, and it's under my maiden name, due to my passport. Need alllllll of that stuff to match up for now.

I'd say it's easier to just keep the maiden name for immigration, and worry about the changes afterward. But then, I'm sort of paranoid, with a Murphy's Law (anything that can go wrong, WILL go wrong) mindset. (Thanks, military life and CIC for that mindset, haha.) I feared my passport might get lost in transit, or something would get screwed with my file due to the name change, etc.

I plan to just use my maiden name until after our family trip, after a trip back to the States to see friends and family, and THEN I'll deal with the U.S. consulate and work on getting my passport changed, and then try to change my PR card. No idea how much of a hassle it will be, really.

I "go by" my middle name and married name up here, "Ann Williams," as I've always used my middle name and chose to take the husband's name. It's what's on my U.S. driver's license, and on my military base recreation card (another photo ID). It's also what's on my bank account. So I'm sure I'll manage to screw something up eventually, with all of these names rattling around, haha.

(Sorry, I just realized I reallllllly rambled. Just got home from the gym with the hubby, and not sure I have adequate blood supply to my brain.)

Long story short, CIC will issue your PR card in the name that's on your passport, which you would have to change before landing if you want the PR card issued in your married name. Otherwise, you'll have to deal with the name change after you get PR. Here's a link to info on applying for a new PR card based on name change: http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/applications/guides/5445ETOC.asp.

firsttimemom

Jul 8, 2013
In filling up all the application, should I use my married surname already or should I use my maiden name still?? Thank you

QuebecOkie

Champion Member
Sep 23, 2012
Very French Quebec
Category........
Visa Office......
Vegreville
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
23-10-2012
AOR Received.
28-01-2013
Med's Done....
10-04-2013
Passport Req..
AIP 30-08-2013
VISA ISSUED...
DM 30-08-2013
LANDED..........
10-10-2013
I used my maiden name AND married name. So first name, middle name, maiden name, married name. That's how I sign all of the paperwork, too. But all correspondence from CIC comes addressed to my maiden name, as that's what's on my passport. Probably easiest if you just use your maiden name.

firsttimemom

Jul 8, 2013
QuebecOkie said:
I used my maiden name AND married name. So first name, middle name, maiden name, married name. That's how I sign all of the paperwork, too. But all correspondence from CIC comes addressed to my maiden name, as that's what's on my passport. Probably easiest if you just use your maiden name.
I sent PM to you, thank you.. :)

kasia333

Star Member
May 14, 2013
Ottawa, ON
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
5-21-14 received 5-23-14
AOR Received.
SA 07-23-14
Med's Request
upfront
Med's Done....
4-30-2014
VISA ISSUED...
CoPR 10-10-14
LANDED..........
10-16-14
Ok, so I think we might just use my maiden name, considering that it takes 6-8 weeks for Ontario to put us into the system that we got married, then 15 days for them to mail us a copy of the certificate (probably to my husband in Ontario not to US), then another week for me to get a copy here in Chicago, plus then I have to change my social security card and I'm pretty sure that can be a pain (cause I think they are only open during the week/work hours).. and then wait for them to send me new card... and THEN have to get a new passport picture and send that to get a new passport.. all in all, lots of hassle and time..

I don't mind using my maiden name for now anyways. My only question is this, Ontario changes the last name after marriage (I was told I'm already recognized under my husband's name there) so I would be confused as to what name to use for non CIC things there since on CIC and in the states I would still have my maiden name. Can I use my maiden name for JUST CIC and use my married name for other stuff? Or should I use a combo of both for everything else?

(sorry for my ramble)