+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Just Married.. What now? (spousal sponsorship questions)

Alurra71

VIP Member
Oct 5, 2012
Ontario
Visa Office......
Vegreville
App. Filed.......
07-12-2012
AOR Received.
21-01-2013
Interview........
waived
VISA ISSUED...
28-11-2013
LANDED..........
19-12-2013
I didn't read all the way through all of the posts to the end ...

In short. To those of you who are currently getting ready to apply. You MUST fill your application with whatever name is listed on your CURRENT passport or identification document. You DO NOT fill out your married name.

If it were me, I would change all my necessary documents now rather than backtracking later when I realize I don't want my health card and PR card using my maiden name ... but that's just me ;)

QuebecOkie

Champion Member
Sep 23, 2012
Very French Quebec
Category........
Visa Office......
Vegreville
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
23-10-2012
AOR Received.
28-01-2013
Med's Done....
10-04-2013
Passport Req..
AIP 30-08-2013
VISA ISSUED...
DM 30-08-2013
LANDED..........
10-10-2013
I've had no issues having just about everything in US/Canada in my married name, but using my maiden name with CIC (since my passport is still in my maiden name).

kasia333

Star Member
May 14, 2013
Ottawa, ON
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
5-21-14 received 5-23-14
AOR Received.
SA 07-23-14
Med's Request
upfront
Med's Done....
4-30-2014
VISA ISSUED...
CoPR 10-10-14
LANDED..........
10-16-14
Ok my question is this:

how hard is it to change social/american passport from inside Canada? Also, how hard is it to change your PR and health card? I don't really care to have my maiden name in my paperwork in the beginning. I just want to have the PR and be with my husband. If it takes longer to get it from inside Canada, so be it. i just want to be able to live together with my husband as a regular normal married couple. (I'm cheesy, I know)

Alurra71

VIP Member
Oct 5, 2012
Ontario
Visa Office......
Vegreville
App. Filed.......
07-12-2012
AOR Received.
21-01-2013
Interview........
waived
VISA ISSUED...
28-11-2013
LANDED..........
19-12-2013
From within Canada? I have no idea. You would follow the same channels for passport updating as you would if you were in the states. Filling out and mailing the form along with the fee and your marriage certificate and passport.

The social, I wouldn't know. I took my signed copy of my marriage license with me the next week after our wedding to get my social changed, then did my license and credit cards things of that nature as soon as the social was updated in the system.

I don't know if it's still a requirement that you go to the social security office for the change, or if you can just mail them the updated application along with what ever documents they require. Either way, you are going to wait for one to return your marriage license before you can do the other and I would assume you need to change your social security number FIRST and foremost before you do anything else.

kasia333

Star Member
May 14, 2013
Ottawa, ON
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
5-21-14 received 5-23-14
AOR Received.
SA 07-23-14
Med's Request
upfront
Med's Done....
4-30-2014
VISA ISSUED...
CoPR 10-10-14
LANDED..........
10-16-14
http://www.ssa.gov/online/ss-5fs.pdf for change of social I think you can do it through this form and you can mail it in. I'm still double checking :)

I have another question, I had someone tell me that the more money you have in your account (or in your spouse's account) when you apply the better. Now, how much is enough? I know the government is worried that in case of an emergency, we would have money.. and my husband makes enough and has money saved, but how much is a good amount? I was even advised by someone to borrow money and put it into account before everything is filed, and then return it everything is over.

Any advice on that?

Alurra71

VIP Member
Oct 5, 2012
Ontario
Visa Office......
Vegreville
App. Filed.......
07-12-2012
AOR Received.
21-01-2013
Interview........
waived
VISA ISSUED...
28-11-2013
LANDED..........
19-12-2013
You are talking about a spousal sponsorship. It won't matter if he has $10 or $10 million. As long as he is not the recipient of public welfare, income doesn't matter for this type of application.

kasia333

Star Member
May 14, 2013
Ottawa, ON
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
5-21-14 received 5-23-14
AOR Received.
SA 07-23-14
Med's Request
upfront
Med's Done....
4-30-2014
VISA ISSUED...
CoPR 10-10-14
LANDED..........
10-16-14
I thought that's how it was too. Someone I was talking today (a friend of my husband) said that when he got sponsored by his wife in 2001 he had to make sure they had a lot in the account ($30k), to "show you won't need government help"...

Thanks for clarifying that. I didn't see anything like that on the website as a requirement. I just saw that he can't receive government help (he doesn't), and that he has to have a clean record (he does), and that he didn't sponsor anyone before (he didn't). Nothing about "money in the bank" requirement.

Again, thanks for the clarification.

kasia333

Star Member
May 14, 2013
Ottawa, ON
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
5-21-14 received 5-23-14
AOR Received.
SA 07-23-14
Med's Request
upfront
Med's Done....
4-30-2014
VISA ISSUED...
CoPR 10-10-14
LANDED..........
10-16-14
Also,

do people ALWAYS get interviewed? AND, in case an interview is required, do both of us go or just me?

The guy I'm talking to said they asked him "how will he support himself? " and that they look into savings account to see how much you have. Maybe that was what was done 10 years ago? I don't understand. I thought telling them that your spouse is going to support you for 3 years (that signed paper) is efficient?

Alurra71

VIP Member
Oct 5, 2012
Ontario
Visa Office......
Vegreville
App. Filed.......
07-12-2012
AOR Received.
21-01-2013
Interview........
waived
VISA ISSUED...
28-11-2013
LANDED..........
19-12-2013
It sounds as if perhaps this friend maybe he and spouse lived outside of the country when he was being sponsored or something? That is what they kind of ask now, if both of them live outside of country. Kind of letting CIC know how you plan to take care of yourself once you've resituated yourself back in Canada kind of a deal. Again, they are not going to care about hubby's income.

No, folks don't always get interviewed. Usually they get called for one where there is a question about the validity of the marriage, meaning, they want to be sure it's not just a marriage of convenience for the person wanting to relocate. Rarely that is the case for someone from the US as it is quite similar to Canada. Interviews are USUALLY done on say, someone being sponsored from a 3rd world country to ensure it's not M.O.C.

If you get called for an interview it's only the person being sponsored, not the sponsor.

ammead

Feb 10, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
05-03-2013
Med's Done....
05-03-2013
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
11-09-2013
kasia333 said:
Ok my question is this:

how hard is it to change social/american passport from inside Canada? Also, how hard is it to change your PR and health card? I don't really care to have my maiden name in my paperwork in the beginning. I just want to have the PR and be with my husband. If it takes longer to get it from inside Canada, so be it. i just want to be able to live together with my husband as a regular normal married couple. (I'm cheesy, I know)
I haven't done this yet as I am waiting to change my name until after our application has been processed, but from what I understand it isn't too difficult at all. It can be done through an embassy. From what I researched in having my name changed on my passport, it would actually take less time to get your passport back from Canada than it would be if you did it from the states. I'm not sure if the same is true for your SSN, though.

kasia333

Star Member
May 14, 2013
Ottawa, ON
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
5-21-14 received 5-23-14
AOR Received.
SA 07-23-14
Med's Request
upfront
Med's Done....
4-30-2014
VISA ISSUED...
CoPR 10-10-14
LANDED..........
10-16-14
Alurra71 said:
It sounds as if perhaps this friend maybe he and spouse lived outside of the country when he was being sponsored or something? That is what they kind of ask now, if both of them live outside of country. Kind of letting CIC know how you plan to take care of yourself once you've resituated yourself back in Canada kind of a deal. Again, they are not going to care about hubby's income.

No, folks don't always get interviewed. Usually they get called for one where there is a question about the validity of the marriage, meaning, they want to be sure it's not just a marriage of convenience for the person wanting to relocate. Rarely that is the case for someone from the US as it is quite similar to Canada. Interviews are USUALLY done on say, someone being sponsored from a 3rd world country to ensure it's not M.O.C.

If you get called for an interview it's only the person being sponsored, not the sponsor.
Oh, good to know. Yeah, they were in a "spousal common law marriage" before they got married. I'm not sure what that means. Ok, so I'm not too worried about how much money he'll have in his account, but we will still have enough in there "just in case".

Ok, we can prove that without a problem.. and our parents are going to write letters as well. I could also get a letter from friends as well.
We got plenty of pictures and ticket stubs as well as anything else anyone could ever want? We don't talk much on the phone thought he might be able to pull up some records. We use Skype and whatsapp on phone (but the app I think deletes some stuff out of memory after few months? ) BUT we do have some records. (like Skype will show we talked for 3-4 hours numerous times).

Good thing we don't both have to fly down cause that's a bit expensive haha (I'm not cheap, but let's be honest here)

kasia333

Star Member
May 14, 2013
Ottawa, ON
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
5-21-14 received 5-23-14
AOR Received.
SA 07-23-14
Med's Request
upfront
Med's Done....
4-30-2014
VISA ISSUED...
CoPR 10-10-14
LANDED..........
10-16-14
ammead said:
I haven't done this yet as I am waiting to change my name until after our application has been processed, but from what I understand it isn't too difficult at all. It can be done through an embassy. From what I researched in having my name changed on my passport, it would actually take less time to get your passport back from Canada than it would be if you did it from the states. I'm not sure if the same is true for your SSN, though.
it shouldn't be too hard to do. My step-mom-in-law is an american with dual citizenship in canada and the states, and she said that i would have to go to the ss office to change that, but I saw on a website that I can fill out a form (with the right info and support) and they can change my name and issue a new card. It shouldn't be that much of a problem. Mind you, when she got married to a Canadian, it was MANY years ago, so they might've not been able to do it the same way back then.

Alurra71

VIP Member
Oct 5, 2012
Ontario
Visa Office......
Vegreville
App. Filed.......
07-12-2012
AOR Received.
21-01-2013
Interview........
waived
VISA ISSUED...
28-11-2013
LANDED..........
19-12-2013
ammead said:
.... It can be done through an embassy. From what I researched in having my name changed on my passport, it would actually take less time to get your passport back from Canada than it would be if you did it from the states. .....
Each consulate WITHIN Canada differs on whether they do passports or not. I see no reason, living inside Canada, to not just use the DS-82 and send the package to the PA address and have them do it, unless of course their processing times enter in the the millenias, kind of like waiting for PR from CIC :p As I was saying, each consulte from within is different and will STILL require you to attend a meeting with them, along with other various things and then they will process your application and still it will be weeks before you are mailed back your passport. The down side to that being, that you have to drive to your local consulate, after booking the appointment, bringing all your paperwork with you as well as the postage paid return envelope, sit and wait for your 'interview', drive home and then wait anywhere from 3-6 weeks for your passport to be returned. Doesn't sound like much fun to me! LOL

I prefer to fill out my DS-82 and send it, along with my supporting documents via registered / trackable mail to the address on the form and then wait my 4-6 weeks for my new passport to arrive. Of course, I can pay the extra $60 for an expedited passport and have it 'door to door' in 2 weeks. That isn't an option at the consulate.

I am quite positive you can not get any kind of social security help from a consulate anywhere in the world. Those forms will have to be dealt with from their offices within the country. I still don't know if it's required that you show in person or you can mail them in. I know it's quicker to show in person, as it is all done within 24 hours and a new card in your mail in like 10 days.

kasia333

Star Member
May 14, 2013
Ottawa, ON
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
5-21-14 received 5-23-14
AOR Received.
SA 07-23-14
Med's Request
upfront
Med's Done....
4-30-2014
VISA ISSUED...
CoPR 10-10-14
LANDED..........
10-16-14
Alurra71 said:
Each consulate WITHIN Canada differs on whether they do passports or not. I see no reason, living inside Canada, to not just use the DS-82 and send the package to the PA address and have them do it, unless of course their processing times enter in the the millenias, kind of like waiting for PR from CIC :p As I was saying, each consulte from within is different and will STILL require you to attend a meeting with them, along with other various things and then they will process your application and still it will be weeks before you are mailed back your passport. The down side to that being, that you have to drive to your local consulate, after booking the appointment, bringing all your paperwork with you as well as the postage paid return envelope, sit and wait for your 'interview', drive home and then wait anywhere from 3-6 weeks for your passport to be returned. Doesn't sound like much fun to me! LOL

I prefer to fill out my DS-82 and send it, along with my supporting documents via registered / trackable mail to the address on the form and then wait my 4-6 weeks for my new passport to arrive. Of course, I can pay the extra $60 for an expedited passport and have it 'door to door' in 2 weeks. That isn't an option at the consulate.

I am quite positive you can not get any kind of social security help from a consulate anywhere in the world. Those forms will have to be dealt with from their offices within the country. I still don't know if it's required that you show in person or you can mail them in. I know it's quicker to show in person, as it is all done within 24 hours and a new card in your mail in like 10 days.
The website says that if your passport was given to you within a year you pay nothing for change, but after a year it's $140.
http://travel.state.gov/passport/fees/fees_837.html
http://canada.usembassy.gov/consular_services/fees/passport-fees.html

+ more you want to expedite it

but I think it's exactly the same in the States.

kasia333

Star Member
May 14, 2013
Ottawa, ON
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
5-21-14 received 5-23-14
AOR Received.
SA 07-23-14
Med's Request
upfront
Med's Done....
4-30-2014
VISA ISSUED...
CoPR 10-10-14
LANDED..........
10-16-14
Few more questions came up:

1) Can I get the FBI criminal checking done in Canada? Is there a place for that?
2) Can someone please tell me the process (timeline wise) of going about getting the FBI and the doctor stuff done? (just so we know when to start what and don't waste time)
3) I understand everything has to be sent together, but is there ANYTHING I can do while still in U.S. ??

Thank you in advance. Sorry about all the questions.