+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

January 2023 - Citizenship Applications

Graykoala

Star Member
Aug 14, 2019
Jesus!!!!!

Btw, I was reading a blog the other day and the author was trying to imply that education and nationality of the citizenship applicant play a huge part in processing delay. Could we perhaps share our education and nationalities here to see if there is something common in our profile that is pulling us back? I will go first: I am a Pakistani national. I already have a PhD but now I am pursuing another PhD from Canada. Appreciate if others could respond.
I have a phd and stuck at the background check step for almost one year now.

waqasnawaz

Jul 23, 2014
I have a phd and stuck at the background check step for almost one year now.
It was speculated in the blog that PhD has a lot to do with the delay.. I don't see a connection between these two, but perhaps there is one, and its just that we cannot understand it..

Graykoala

Star Member
Aug 14, 2019
It was speculated in the blog that PhD has a lot to do with the delay.. I don't see a connection between these two, but perhaps there is one, and its just that we cannot understand it..
Can you post the blog website link here. Thanks

Last edited:

Graykoala

Star Member
Aug 14, 2019
I think it is because some PhDs/Scientists work on sensitive research topics that triggers a comprehensive background check. Not every research is a sensitive topic but looks like the bureaucrats at IRCC just send everyone to security screening. My PR application also took longer than usual.

you can search this forum, some MS/PhDs were asked by the visa officer to provide the details on their research. I have seen that only for permanent residency applications, haven’t seen anything for citizenship.

GFLiam

Nov 29, 2016
My MP just got some reply from IRCC, basically the same non-answer that they need more time to review. I am just lost on what type of "review" is happening when processes are either completed or not started.

mainbucha

Aug 12, 2011
Visa Office......
Islamabad
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
November 2010
Doc's Request.
February 2012
File Transfer...
December 2010
Med's Request
February 2012
Med's Done....
February 2012
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
June 2012
VISA ISSUED...
June 2012
LANDED..........
July 2012
My friend's citizenship application has everything completed except Prohibitions. Background, language, and physical presence have been completed since June 2023 but only Prohibition took more than a year, and no update yet. Is anyone else stuck only on prohibitions?

Locco1979

May 24, 2024
My MP just got some reply from IRCC, basically the same non-answer that they need more time to review. I am just lost on what type of "review" is happening when processes are either completed or not started.
They carefully choose to use the most vague and confusing terms for a reason : to avoid liability & accountability. Keep your head up best of luck.

Locco1979

May 24, 2024
My friend's citizenship application has everything completed except Prohibitions. Background, language, and physical presence have been completed since June 2023 but only Prohibition took more than a year, and no update yet. Is anyone else stuck only on prohibitions?
Most applicants usually complain about Prohibition taking so long. Surprisingly for my case : Prohibition was cleared along with everything else but I am stuck on Background Check, security screening that is pending since July 2023 ! They might have confused me with James Bond ?! :D

I have one speculation though, it seems that they just put a halt in the processing of 2023 early applicants. I read somewhere that for 2024 applicants, IRCC has halted the CSIS / CSBA security screening process altogether and that's why a big chunk of 2024 applicants are invited for oath within 3 to 4 months of processing.

In Germany, Austria, France ,Europe and mostly everywhere else : the citizenship process is less opaque and very streamlined....

GFLiam

Nov 29, 2016
In Germany, Austria, France ,Europe and mostly everywhere else : the citizenship process is less opaque and very streamlined....
Honestly even just a bit more transparency in what's really going on would help a lot on easing people's anxiety, especially every time anyone calls there's just the same answering machine response...

ifras

Oct 22, 2015
AOR Received.
23 Feb 2022
Interview........
Passport Req..
08 Nov 2017
VISA ISSUED...
Posting on behalf of my uncle:
He is 60 and waiting for his citizenship application to be completed. As per his age legally language and citizenship test condition doesn't apply on him. For that reason he did not submit language proof as well. His language status is still in progress. Rest are completed. Anyone else in same boat and got the oath invite?

harpa

May 8, 2024
Same boat as you !!! AOR Feb 2023, Scarborough Office, everything is green LPP and Test just waiting for the Background Check ! Both my MP and IRCC told me that they still waiting on the Security Screening which has started on July 2023 !

I sent an ATIP request to CSIS, still waiting for an answer.

Very depressing and unfair !
Hi Locco, could you please tell what should I write in message description field while requesting CSIS notes?

harpa

May 8, 2024
Hmm....I don't recall what exactly did the ATIP request webform looked like for GCMS notes before, but I just requested for another set of notes and I am sure something on the webform has changed.
hi GFLiam, could you please tell what should I write in message description field while requesting CSIS notes?

Locco1979

May 24, 2024
Hi Locco, could you please tell what should I write in message description field while requesting CSIS notes?
You just ask for an update on your file. For my case they replied exactly after 30 days and the answer was : your case is still under process. No more informations.