+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

January 2023 - Citizenship Applications

waqasnawaz

Jul 23, 2014
Received a copy of my GCMS notes, there's no change. Notes are all the same since February. Very very disappointing. I had to present my research papers at a conference in the US in August. I could not get the visa, have been raising expedition requests since February through all possible channels (web form, MP office, call centre). Application didn't move an inch. This conference was extremely important for my career as an academic as universities prefer to invite only those candidates who they screen during the conference. I guess I will have to wait for another year to get a job!!!

• Sad
Reactions: Locco1979

waqasnawaz

Jul 23, 2014
Just to give more perspective :

I am not expecting the system to be 100% fair & efficient but I am utterly distressed by the blatant lack of measures of recourses to fight back and make things right for anyone in my situation.
A friend recently shared his cousin's experience with IRCC. After submitting citizenship grant application, he waited for eight months without receiving any updates. Frustrated, he contacted IRCC to inquire about the delay. By the 11th month, after involving his MP, he finally received an explanation: his case processing officer was on parental leave. Even though his case was eventually processed within the average processing time at the time, this is the kind of system we are dealing with...

• Wow
Reactions: Locco1979

JackRyan

Star Member
Dec 17, 2020
A friend recently shared his cousin's experience with IRCC. After submitting citizenship grant application, he waited for eight months without receiving any updates. Frustrated, he contacted IRCC to inquire about the delay. By the 11th month, after involving his MP, he finally received an explanation: his case processing officer was on parental leave. Even though his case was eventually processed within the average processing time at the time, this is the kind of system we are dealing with...
A few days ago, I visited Service Canada with a friend to update his SIN number. It was 3:20 PM, and there were only a few people inside. As soon as we got in line, an agent came up to us and said they had just cut the line and we would have to come back tomorrow. I pointed out that it was only 3:20 PM, mentioning a pregnant woman who was due to deliver next week and wanted to submit her passport application. They told us they usually cut the line if they can't process everyone in time and we have to leave the office.

I insisted that I would wait until one of the officers was available and that I needed to get this done today. After a long argument, a higher-ranking person came and allowed us in, along with another 9 people. We finished our business, and most people were done before 4 PM. This shows how some government officers choose to work, send people home because they don't want to work !!!!!

Reactions: Rasha

GFLiam

Nov 29, 2016
I am not surprised if my file is in a similar situation. My MP enquired about my file and in the GCMS notes it showed the Vancouver office is waiting for a "stakeholder" to respond and the MP can reach out again if I don't hear back by December. By December my file would be at 24 months. And what stakeholder are we talking about? We've got CBSA, CSIS and RCMP passing on their checks. What other stakeholder could it be?

Rasha

Apr 26, 2008
I am not surprised if my file is in a similar situation. My MP enquired about my file and in the GCMS notes it showed the Vancouver office is waiting for a "stakeholder" to respond and the MP can reach out again if I don't hear back by December. By December my file would be at 24 months. And what stakeholder are we talking about? We've got CBSA, CSIS and RCMP passing on their checks. What other stakeholder could it be?
Reach out to Marc Miller, to CBC, to the news...this is crazy. How can a file be put on hold because of a parental leave? Even in my job, when we go on leave, we have coverage.

waqasnawaz

Jul 23, 2014
I have no clue how but I think I pressed some right buttons in the last couple of weeks - I received an invitation for taking Oath.

Over the past couple of weeks, I contacted my MP for the third time to follow up with IRCC. I also called the IRCC helpdesk and asked them for a reasonable justification for the delay in our application. The representative I spoke with was very kind and escalated the issue since there was no clear reason for the delay. Additionally, I requested GCMS notes from IRCC, CBSA, and CSIS, explicitly stating that I intended to pursue a writ of mandamus and needed to determine which department to address. One important point to highlight is that I had a genuine reason for requesting expedited case processing: my research papers were accepted for a conference in the US (August 9-13), and I had no other way to travel except with a Canadian passport.

Two days ago (on Monday), I received a call asking if I was available to take the oath on Thursday with my family. I gladly accepted. Yesterday, I received another call to confirm if I had received the formal invitation via email, which I hadn’t at that time. An hour later, I received the official invitation to attend the oath ceremony in person.

The system is far from transparent, making it difficult to pinpoint what exactly triggered the sudden resolution of our case. However, I share my story to encourage all of you to keep trying. Just three days ago, I was searching for a lawyer to file a writ of mandamus at a reasonable cost, and today, I’m deciding what to wear for tomorrow’s ceremony. I crossed the finish line, and I’m confident that you all will too, sooner than later. Keep persevering, and know that your efforts will pay off. Your day will come, and when it does, it will be worth every challenge you faced along the way.

Good luck to you all!

GFLiam

Nov 29, 2016
I have no clue how but I think I pressed some right buttons in the last couple of weeks - I received an invitation for taking Oath.

Over the past couple of weeks, I contacted my MP for the third time to follow up with IRCC. I also called the IRCC helpdesk and asked them for a reasonable justification for the delay in our application. The representative I spoke with was very kind and escalated the issue since there was no clear reason for the delay. Additionally, I requested GCMS notes from IRCC, CBSA, and CSIS, explicitly stating that I intended to pursue a writ of mandamus and needed to determine which department to address. One important point to highlight is that I had a genuine reason for requesting expedited case processing: my research papers were accepted for a conference in the US (August 9-13), and I had no other way to travel except with a Canadian passport.

Two days ago (on Monday), I received a call asking if I was available to take the oath on Thursday with my family. I gladly accepted. Yesterday, I received another call to confirm if I had received the formal invitation via email, which I hadn’t at that time. An hour later, I received the official invitation to attend the oath ceremony in person.

The system is far from transparent, making it difficult to pinpoint what exactly triggered the sudden resolution of our case. However, I share my story to encourage all of you to keep trying. Just three days ago, I was searching for a lawyer to file a writ of mandamus at a reasonable cost, and today, I’m deciding what to wear for tomorrow’s ceremony. I crossed the finish line, and I’m confident that you all will too, sooner than later. Keep persevering, and know that your efforts will pay off. Your day will come, and when it does, it will be worth every challenge you faced along the way.

Good luck to you all!
I'd like to say it's your conference that triggered this quick response. But it could also be you mentioning the Writ of Mandamus that may have sent chills down some people's spines. My grandparent just got diagnosed with stomach cancer and she's really old, so it may be my way to tell them to get it going. We'll see.

Last edited:

waqasnawaz

Jul 23, 2014
I'd like to say it's your conference that triggered this quick response. But it could also be you mentioning the Writ of Mandamus that may have sent chills down some people's spines. My grandparent just go diagnosed with stomach cancer and she's really old, so it may be my way to tell them to get it going. We'll see.
Sorry to hear about your grandparent's cancer diagnosis. I hope you get your citizenship and passport soon and are able to visit and spend time with her.

awaisf430

Jul 12, 2016
Qatar
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
London
NOC Code......
AOR Received.
28-02-2017
LANDED..........
01-07-2018
Received a copy of my GCMS notes, there's no change. Notes are all the same since February. Very very disappointing. I had to present my research papers at a conference in the US in August. I could not get the visa, have been raising expedition requests since February through all possible channels (web form, MP office, call centre). Application didn't move an inch. This conference was extremely important for my career as an academic as universities prefer to invite only those candidates who they screen during the conference. I guess I will have to wait for another year to get a job!!!
I am June 2023 AOR. I feel Muslim names get stuck in background tests more often than not. My name is Mohammad and I have been stuck since June. last update was Feb 1.

• Angry
Reactions: Rasha

jaspreet91

May 11, 2020

Good luck to you all!
great story. important take away there is nothing that "triggered" it. people start fantasizing what it could be and come up with wild theories

Reactions: nabd1

GFLiam

Nov 29, 2016
great story. important take away there is nothing that "triggered" it. people start fantasizing what it could be and come up with wild theories
I wouldn't jump to that conclusion. When have you ever heard IRCC calling someone to ask if they can attend an upcoming Oath ceremony? Something must have happened resulting IRCC to react that way.