+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Is desktop computer allowed or probihited to bring in Canada?

Sarah0018

Star Member
Oct 10, 2019
Hi everyone!

I will be travelling to Canada along with my 2 dependents in a few months. Can I bring our desktop computer and monitor? If yes, should it be checked in or carry on? Can I also bring my bass guitar?

Your answers will be appreciated. Thank you!

Sarah0018

Star Member
Oct 10, 2019
I can see no reason why you cannot bring both. I have travelled myself with a desktop computer from Canada to Philippines to Canada in the past with no problem. Same with Canada to U.S. to Canada. I have always put in checked luggage because my desktops have been large and heavy. The ones shipped were big IBM machines with large, separate monitors. I now use Apple desktops, which do not have the CPU and monitors separate; they are integrated units, but the screens are about 25 inches, so I would not try those as carry on. I don't know much about transporting a bass guitar. No prohibition on bringing it, but you might want to check with the airline about how it should travel.
I can see no reason why you cannot bring both. I have travelled myself with a desktop computer from Canada to Philippines to Canada in the past with no problem. Same with Canada to U.S. to Canada. I have always put in checked luggage because my desktops have been large and heavy. The ones shipped were big IBM machines with large, separate monitors. I now use Apple desktops, which do not have the CPU and monitors separate; they are integrated units, but the screens are about 25 inches, so I would not try those as carry on. I don't know much about transporting a bass guitar. No prohibition on bringing it, but you might want to check with the airline about how it should travel.
Thanks for the reply! Im kinda hesitant to check in my CPU considering how the airport personnels handle our luggages. Did your CPU fit a luggage or it was secured in a box?

cdnguy

Sep 10, 2022
I used to work for a major airline. I definitely wouldn't put a monitor or a desktop computer in checked luggage. Luggage is abused and if anything is destroyed the airline won't be of any use. You might be able to get third party luggage insurance that could cover it, but the computer and monitor would be items that you would have to specifically list, that is IF the insurance company is willing to offer coverage.

As for the bass guitar; no problem bringing it. Call your airline to see if you can bring it in the cabin or if you need to check it. If they are making you check it, use a hard case. Lastly, when you call the airline, discuss how the guitar will impact your luggage allotment. You might have to pay extra for the guitar and if that is the case, it's often cheaper to book extra luggage before you get to the airport.