+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Is Canada better or Australia??

mikenz

Sep 5, 2010
Vancouver, BC
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Canadian-dream said:
According to me Canada is like a heaven....there are more facilities then the Austria...all the facilities like child education and health insurance and retirement pension plan by The Govt, is more attractive then Austria ......
Don't know about Austria, never lived there. But I did in AUSTRALIA and New Zealand. Temperature is probably the biggest plus, but I like Canada

shawnyy

May 25, 2013
Like people said before both countries are great to live in but it all comes down to what you prefer and what you really like, because everyone has their own opinion.

Australia and Canada are great countries to live in but they both have there advantages and disadvantages. Both countries have the similarity lifestyles.

Let me start of With Australia. It is a great country because we have a frowing economy so far, the people are friendly, the weather is pretty good because it changes from time to time even during winter its not that cold compared to Canada, it is more of a laidback country tho in my view. Yes the houses/rental and food are pretty expensive compared to canada which is the drawback, i also noticed that Australia is More racist because people always make racist threats to other people. Job opportunities here are better. Sometimes Australia is not a developed country because it can get dirty, road and street signs here are a JOKE they are too small and dont even know which road ur turning into.

In canada its a great country aswell, the difference is that Canadian economy is not at its best because of the recessions, so its hard to find a job especially for Uni students. The poeple there are very friendly, the weather can get pretty bad for a long time because of the snow and so forth. Food is Damm cheap compared to Australia which is really good so you can pretty much eat like a pig lol, The country is More developed coz the streets are more wider, its more cleaner, more western culture, the road signs are way better, more shopping malls, more shops, and more fun things to do in Canada i reckon, poeple are less racist which is good and they accept one another.

So yea thats my View

lovekoto

May 27, 2013
Manila
Category........
Visa Office......
Manila-Phils
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
fly high touch the sky said:
Yes, but Australia has better wildlife, poisoned animals etc...:)
What the heck! :)

folks-g

Star Member
Feb 15, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
vegreville
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
24/05/2013
Doc's Request.
OWP with app
Nomination.....
AIP/OWP JAN 29 2014
AOR Received.
05/06/2013
IELTS Request
docs requested jan 29
Med's Done....
15/05/2013
I think that Canada is better in terms of education health care and generosity ..but if u concerned about the weather and speedy approval of citizenship then Australia is a lil better

checksport

May 29, 2013
Having lived in Canada for about 8 years (I came here as a Master's student in 2005) I can share a few things that the posters above haven't gone deep into. I'll leave out some areas that I'm not well versed in/others could add.

THE BAD

The weather was mentioned briefly above and I think this is a sticking point for many like myself.

1. Sports:
I consider myself very sporty and love to play all kinds of games. Coming from India, I miss playing cricket the most. But I love Basket Ball, Tennis, Football (soccer!) and everything played outdoors. And in Canada you're most likely to find yourself to be unable to play anything for a good 6-9 months depending on where you live.

2. These are some of what the locals would say: "You can play them indoors" -- comes with a heavy price tag. "You can learn how to play winter sports like hockey" -- comes with a heavy price tag (because of the gear) and often you're too old to learn new tricks, especially on ice.

3. Commute:
Public transport here isn't that bad (in Toronto, at least), but it's mostly because I'm use to the way things work here. Weather could wreak havoc on your commutes more often than you'd like. You could get find yourself stranded in airports and train stations during holiday seasons (in December, when the snow is at its worst). Cannot bike for more than 4 months (even though, personally, I bike throughout the year).

4. Clothing:
You have to wear multiple layers of clothing just to take your dog out to pee. Getting out of and entering the house is a process. Coming from India, I just couldn't get used it, even after 8 years. You cannot just walk out with your shorts and sandals for more than half the year.

Bottom line: this is not a good country for outdoorsy people. But also be aware that this is not a Canada specific problem. Close to half of the United States shares these very problems (including cities like NYC). My girlfriend and I have been seriously contemplating whether to move to one of the southern states (like California) or to Australia. We'll probably choose California because it's just closer to where we are used to being.

Weather is number 1 sticking point, now I'll make brief points about other things:

Education: Good.
It has fairly well funded university system. One of the best countries to come in as a student.

Infrastructure: meh.
Half decent roads, decent highways. Poor/expensive railway system.
Really good parks in all cities with special attention to various needs -- dogs, children, elderly, families etc.
Communication systems: used to be terrible/expensive because of big corporate monopolies. Now, people have better cellphone and internet options than 5 years ago (Wind, Mobilicity, Teksavvy are new alternatives). Things are getting better but nowhere near where the US is. For example: Netflix Canada offers 10% of all programming available to the US customers.

Politics: Not a big fan of the Conservative government but you can mostly turn away from politics (even in a city where Rob Ford is the mayor). Canada is mostly politically docile because it's a small player globally. They'd like to think otherwise, but they are not. They live in the shadows of the big(ger) brother US. Now, this is a a good thing, in my opinion. In fact, one of the reasons we don't want to go south is because we can't stand all that self-serving, self-important political climate of the US. And it's a generally liberal government even with the conservatives governing.

Food and prices: Again, things aren't as cheap as they are in the US, but it's ok. Food related regulations are slightly better here, so I'm glad to pay the extra price even if it's only slightly better than what's in the US. Tropical fruits and vegetable fluctuate the most in price (that includes tomatoes too). Local/organic option is limited for most of the year as nothing grows locally for most of the year. Varied immigration has meant that you get to eat all kinds of foods here, though.

Other goods: They are more expensive than they are in the US and you pay 13% HST on top. Now, exactly where the tax money is going is anybody's guess (not for daycare or the healthcare, for sure). Plus, you don't get as much variety because sellers don't bother with a small market that is spread so wide across. But I think it's still better than Australia given where it is (or not, it is really close to China -- what's better? being close to the US or China? I don't know).

People: this is a still a white majority country. But people of colour are also in equal measure in big cities. Now, does that matter? Depends. Having been in big and small cities in Canada I've had my share of racist encounters. But nothing violent or hard to ignore. They are generally nice and easy to work with. As is the common perception among immigrants, their niceness isn't always genuine, but it truly doesn't matter. Because, when someone holds the door for you, it doesn't matter whether they did it because they wanted to or they thought they ought to. I'd take the fake open door than a door left to close in all honesty. Some of the things I've read about Australia are quite startling in comparison.

That's my general take on Canada.

Aside:
To the person who chided Canada for being 'soft': It's outrageous that people can be so openly ignorant/bigoted. This land, the land that is now called Canada was 'occupied' by wanderers from east Asia about 15000 thousand years ago. As late as the 15h century there were at least 2 million of their descendants. Then came the Europeans, wiped big chunks of the hosts and called this place theirs. And they closed the doors to the remaining people. The people were born here since then didn't 'earn' their citizenship. It's ridiculous to expect, at least in principle, that one has to earn it. Why? (I know this last point alone will invite a whole lot of counter-punches, I won't be replying to any of those.)

on-hold

Champion Member
Feb 6, 2010
I've seen this question a number of times, and it has always provoked discussion -- however, there is a time for talk and there is a time for answers. So, once and for all, here is the definitive response to the question of which is better, Canada or Australia:

Canada.

Canada is better than Australia.

Now it is settled.

Your question is answered.

What was once unknown is now known.

Information has become free.

Terra incognita has become Terra cognita.

Australia's immigration program is taking the first steps to shutting down.

Next we will address the question of Canada versus the United States.