+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Ircc is making students depressed

GradStudent18

Nov 11, 2019
I empathize with people in this thread, but posting here about how unfair things are, or spamming messages on Twitter, does not help.

1. Life is not fair and immigration is not the government's top priority. IRCC is already allowing applicants to begin their programs from outside Canada and still count up to 50% toward a future PGWP. I'd take what I can get.

2. Travel restrictions are widely popular among Canadians; it would be political malpractice to lift them. Americans have it somewhat easier because the Canadian economy depends on America.

3. It has never been a secret that Canadian schools recruit international students for their money. The system is meant to benefit Canada, not you.

4. If you don't want to study in Canada after all, you are always free to stay in your current country or seek opportunities elsewhere. Otherwise, I would suggest you find more productive ways to spend your time.
I suppose Canadians have no problem with other fellow Canadians bringing in Covid by way of touring across Europe and returning back home and by making round trips to different parts of the world for tourism, recreation, vacation & entertainment.

I wonder why that is not stopped. And whether that travel is "essential".

GradStudent18

Nov 11, 2019
I have to start online classes from a third country which is US since I got AIP letter. But my supervisor for grad program is really nice, he can write me a formal letter stating my essential presence as long as I get the visa to travel to Canada. In the situation right now if I travel back to my home country, then I am afraid I could not travel to Canada because of the restrictions. Second thing is that airline tickets are extremely high if traveling back-and-forth. I think I am still luckier living in US beforehand than other persons whom have worse situations than I am, though I am very tired waiting for months to get the visa stamped & final decision. This incoming week 24-31 August is the last week for travel restrictions on hold. I hope something looks brighter for people here. If they extend the deadline, then I have to determine other options for my fate: perhaps I will find another country to study (maybe applying to UK schools again). I do not understand why this takes so long for them to release the decision - I knew my final decision through GCMS note & passport req. letter is in print queue (their printers are out of ink for months????). Look at other commonwealth nations: Australia makes straight decision to international students that they cannot travel til 2021 so they know what's going on with their own life. Or UK, universities and visa application are still processing like normal and intake will be as planned for all students despite of the fact that most UK schools start online as well. Those are hit pandemic countries, even the worst-hit US still keeps issuing visa to students though some Consulates are closing but reopening back when situations are better.

Hey! Thanks a lot for your reply!

I have a query please:

I hope you get your approval asap. Best wishes & best of luck to you.

When you get your visa approved finally, will you be allowed to travel? Because I thought approvals after March 18th can only travel when the travel restrictions are lifted? I may be wrong; please correct me. I'm so confused with all this now.

Last edited:

getsthingsdone

Star Member
Feb 5, 2020
I empathize with people in this thread, but posting here about how unfair things are, or spamming messages on Twitter, does not help.

1. Life is not fair and immigration is not the government's top priority. IRCC is already allowing applicants to begin their programs from outside Canada and still count up to 50% toward a future PGWP. I'd take what I can get.

2. Travel restrictions are widely popular among Canadians; it would be political malpractice to lift them. Americans have it somewhat easier because the Canadian economy depends on America.

3. It has never been a secret that Canadian schools recruit international students for their money. The system is meant to benefit Canada, not you.

4. If you don't want to study in Canada after all, you are always free to stay in your current country or seek opportunities elsewhere. Otherwise, I would suggest you find more productive ways to spend your time.
All valid points, but the real question isn't about travel to Canada. It is about issuance of visa so that the certainty of the future can be planned.

If Canada says yes, wonderful, students are happy.

If Canada says no, wonderful, students are first sad and later happy because they can do something else with their future. Perhaps choose another country or get a job.

If Canada does not say yes or no. This is a massive problem. Students are uncertain about their futures, they get anxious, everything goes haywire.

All we want is a timely decision on our visa applications, is that too much to ask?

GradStudent18

Nov 11, 2019
All valid points, but the real question isn't about travel to Canada. It is about issuance of visa so that the certainty of the future can be planned.

If Canada says yes, wonderful, students are happy.

If Canada says no, wonderful, students are first sad and later happy because they can do something else with their future. Perhaps choose another country or get a job.

If Canada does not say yes or no. This is a massive problem. Students are uncertain about their futures, they get anxious, everything goes haywire.

All we want is a timely decision on our visa applications, is that too much to ask?
But they aren't allowing even those with a valid Visa issued before March 18th to travel & enter. Do you know that?

Even if you get a Visa now, you can only enter if you have an " essential " reason.

And if you have online classes ( which have now become the norm with more than 90% of all studies in the world shifted online, across the spectrum ), then online classes are " non-essential ", & you can't enter till you have face-to-face classes.

And face-to-face classes will probably return in 2023 or 2024, because anyone following the developments with Covid will know that the pandemic decline & vaccine solution will take at least 2 years, starting from the end of 2020.

So that means they won't let international students in till 2023.

All I want is they should be clear about this too. Just say this officially. So that we can move on with our lives.

Because the logical conclusion directly leads to what I've said above.

Reactions: Vivek2020
Dec 13, 2019
So true man! The least one can expect from them is some empathy & understanding towards people like us who are already going through so many other stressful issues during a pandemic. We are also humans - it's not just their citizens who deserve proper treatment & not just their own people who are going through difficult times now. There are other humans too outside their country.

We aren't asking for their charity. It's a purely professional thing & respect that they refuse to give us after fulfilling all their demands, fees, documents & what not.

Plus they are not being fair & just also. Randomly allowing some people in & randomly denying entry to some others at the border - whereas both sets of people have approval before March 18th & both sets have fully online classes for the fall.
I don't understand the logic behind inviting PR candidates during this pandemic which means that's essential and education is not?
We on the other hand have made more investments than them. Once we land we will inject money into their travel, housing,entertainment and other industries too. I dont have anything personal grudge against them but they are definitely biased towards PR candidates if they are willing to grant them access .

GradStudent18

Nov 11, 2019
Yes our future is in jeopardy and yes Canada needs Our money and not us.
That's definitely not true.

If it was, then there would be no TA or RA requirements from their end. There would be no PGWP scheme at all, that rewards skilled people who have the ability to contribute in a material well as non-material way to their economy.

So please don't make it seem as though all international students exist only for bringing money into Canada. Maybe many, but not all.

Canada does need skilled, competent people. And some international students turn out to be that. In fact, if given an opportunity, everyone can work to become that.

Saying they need our money & not us, is disrespectful to those who actually qualify at the highest level & for whom the money they pay is not why they're admitted.

Last edited:

GradStudent18

Nov 11, 2019
I don't understand the logic behind inviting PR candidates during this pandemic which means that's essential and education is not?
We on the other hand have made more investments than them. Once we land we will inject money into their travel, housing,entertainment and other industries too. I dont have anything personal grudge against them but they are definitely biased towards PR candidates if they are willing to grant them access .
In all my dealings with IRCC, they've been thoroughly professional & methodical. Most importantly, extremely fair, just & rule-based.

This pandemic has caused a lot of confusion.

That kills hope, to be very honest.

People from poor countries look up to the west for being law-abiding societies that are fair & meritocratic.

But the pandemic has made it so difficult to get clarity now.

Very unfortunate time for the globe.

Last edited:

GradStudent18

Nov 11, 2019
Hi, I've seen many going to CA now who have got their visas before march18, I'd say if u want to be there u should calculate the risk of flying & give it a shot
Hii @Rehman98 , thanks a lot for your reply! I'm so grateful for your kindness!

Could you please advise me on one thing:

Did they travel by Air India or Air Canada or some other airlines?

And did they get that "travel support letter" from the institution?

I'll be really thankful for any information please...thank you so much!

Dafaqisgoingon

Star Member
Jun 12, 2020
There are so many inconsistencies right now.

In all my dealings with IRCC, they've been thoroughly professional & methodical. Most importantly, extremely fair, just & rule-based.

This pandemic has caused their operations to be a little messed up.

That kills hope, to be very honest.

People from poor countries look up to the west for being law-abiding societies that are fair & meritocratic. But the pandemic has caused everything to go haywire.

Very unfortunate time for the globe.
Hey, i watch your comments as you are very active. It seems like we both have the same concerns and same points too. You could not be more right. I personally have given on any hope by Canada, even though i have a travel Support letter. Just read some Student who travelled earlier was told to come back afterwards, but found out his Counterfoil (TRV sticker on passport) as Invalid a month after he was denied.

I had so much expectations from IRCC that they will be fair and just, atleast to us who didn't choose online classes, but are okay with them if allowed into Canada. But oh well...

Reactions: GradStudent18

Bishops2020

Aug 8, 2020
If students have no specific right even after obtaining a valid visa before March 18th, then why did IRCC not right away declare in May/June that from now on, till the pandemic ends (i.e., for the next 3 years), all previously issued student visas of those who've not yet travelled will be invalidated, no more student visas will be issued from henceforth, and no more international students will be admitted / allowed in anymore.

That would've been better & fair to all international students as everyone would've had the same fate - not like what's happening now. They're arbitrarily allowing students inside with fake letters from colleges that state their "presence is mandatory" when in fact it's a certificate course with no research component where everything can be completed remotely. On the other hand, I have a grad level research intensive program at a top public university & am not getting that support letter which means I can't go, can't use the library, no computing software, no lab, no research, nothing. Entire life's worth of work getting invalidated.
I cannot agree more. It's so so unfair and so illogical and so untransparent who can and cannot stay or travel to Canada currently as a student. It would have been better for mental health to have firm yes / no and not this unknown. I cannot understand why the plane my daughter should have been on this week had returning students from her country and she was not allowed to travel. Why is she a risk and they are not? I'll have her GCMS notes in a few days and though they won't get her into Canada, they will give her a sense of knowledge about when exactly she was approved for a study permit and confidence. She is currently facing online studies only part time as she cannot do her full classes online or defer and go to a European university and hope she can transfer credits, until such a time as she can travel. She has a scholarship which makes it more complicated. She has no interest in PGWP which so many in this forum appear to be motivated by.

Bishops2020

Aug 8, 2020
No students are asking for a lifting of non essential travel here as far as I can see. What many are asking for is for their study permits to be officially approved and for the 18th March rule to be lifted, so they can travel. Some students like my daughter have in person classes or have research to do which can only be completed in person or have lab work to complete.

I fully agree with the ban on non essential travel, it does not however apply to Canadian nationals or permanent residents! They are free to travel and indeed they are travelling on holiday to Europe and elsewhere. It is problem the world over, I'm only following a few countries in Europe, many countries have suffered a mini wave since mid July and people have been able to travel. It's very unfortunate and selfish, but people want to continue with their foreign holidays.

Bs65

VIP Member
Mar 22, 2016
No students are asking for a lifting of non essential travel here as far as I can see. What many are asking for is for their study permits to be officially approved and for the 18th March rule to be lifted, so they can travel. Some students like my daughter have in person classes or have research to do which can only be completed in person or have lab work to complete.

I fully agree with the ban on non essential travel, it does not however apply to Canadian nationals or permanent residents! They are free to travel and indeed they are travelling on holiday to Europe and elsewhere. It is problem the world over, I'm only following a few countries in Europe, many countries have suffered a mini wave since mid July and people have been able to travel. It's very unfortunate and selfish, but people want to continue with their foreign holidays.
Just to clarify that the Canadian Government has issued guidance about travelling out of the country for non essential purposes and whilst there is nothing to stop anyone from leaving the country if citizens or PRs or anyone else they do so at their own risk as far as any issues whilst out of the country . Plus of course there is the quarantine act for their return but as in many countries people who are not travelling but staying home can think people putting foreign holidays over health irresponsible.

https://travel.gc.ca/travelling/advisories

Last edited:

Bishops2020

Aug 8, 2020
Hii @Rehman98 , thanks a lot for your reply! I'm so grateful for your kindness!

Could you please advise me on one thing:

Did they travel by Air India or Air Canada or some other airlines?

And did they get that "travel support letter" from the institution?

I'll be really thankful for any information please...thank you so much!
All the students who travelled to my daughter's university this week had quarantine plans and all had travel support letters. All were allowed to enter Canada, they all travelled through Montreal airport and all transported as a group to campus. My daugher was barred from travel as her study permit was not approved before 18th March 2020, otherwise her travel would be deemed "essential" as her university is doing in person classes and her degree can only be done in person. My daughter has a 4 page quarantine plan ready for when she can eventually travel - the university is doing home delivery at a very economical price and charging exactly the same price for the rooms for 14 days as term time prices and has set aside an entire residence for the entire academic year as it expects the current student barred from travel to eventually be allowed to travel. My daughter also has a 4 page travel support letter - all the letters are basically the same except for a few variations in the justifications for "essential travel", the letters have 5 reasons, here are the 2 reasons given for her, her classes are mainly in person and cannot be fully given online as 2/5 of the obligatory classes are in person only :

Course group work requires continuous interaction with colleagues and/or Professors, which is complicated by different time zones.
Courses requiring practical work cannot be completed online.

Alamj

Star Member
Sep 26, 2019
India
Category........
STUDY
Visa Office......
New Delhi1
That's definitely not true.

If it was, then there would be no TA or RA requirements from their end. There would be no PGWP scheme at all, that rewards skilled people who have the ability to contribute in a material well as non-material way to their economy.

So please don't make it seem as though all international students exist only for bringing money into Canada. Maybe many, like those who go for diplomas & certificates that are cash-cow programs. But not all.

Canada does need skilled, competent people. And some international students turn out to be that. In fact, if given an opportunity, everyone can work to become that.

Saying they need our money & not us, is disrespectful to those who actually qualify at the highest level & for whom the money they pay is not why they're admitted.
PGWP exists because if they let go of it, people might not be as interested in the prospects of studying in Canada.

And yes I agree with you that there are TA, RA requirements, additionally they do have scholarships for exceptional students too.

My statement was made more from the end of acknowledging the fact that as a student who has applied for a study permit we have made a significant investment in the country, (Significant for each individual student, and significant for Canada when considering all the students).

With our funds locked up, and no visible prospects of travel to Canada. This seems, Canada needs our money and not us for the time being.

Bishops2020

Aug 8, 2020
Just to clarify that the Canadian Government has issued guidance about travelling out of the country for non essential purposes and whilst there is nothing to stop anyone from leaving the country if citizens or PRs or anyone else they do so at their own risk as far as any issues in coming back. Plus of course there is the quarantine act for their return

https://travel.gc.ca/travelling/advisories
Yes I already know all about this, I'm in this exact travel industry, just not in Canada. Canadian nationals / permanent residents can and are travelling the world on holiday. Air Canada is one of the few regular airlines still currently operating. 2 way non essential travel is happening, students are very rarely in this group of people who are defying the pleas not to travel unless essential. The majority of infections coming from abroad into Canada are arriving due to Canadians / permanent residents choosing to travel for non essential reasons as they are the majority of those arriving in Canada, not foreign students or foreign nationals arriving for family reunion.