+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Interesting situation...

KSolomon

Jan 28, 2007
Hello. I have an interesting (and stress-inducing) situation I am looking for some guidance on. I am an American citizen who is engaged to a Canadian. I have been in Canada staying with my fiance since just before Hurricane Katrina, in which I lost everything (my apartment was on the beach in Biloxi Mississippi). After the Hurricane, there was nothing for me to go back to, so I stayed here with my fiance. Now we have set a date for the wedding and are researching what needs to be done about the marriage license and sych. The problem we have found is that I need either a passport or Landed Immigrant status in order to get the license. Seeing as how I don't have a passport (didn't need one when I came up originally), can I use my driver's license and my birth certificate in place of my passport (as I did when I came up), or at this point would I be better off filing for Family-class Immigration as my fiance's common-law partner?

Thanks,
Keith Solomon

mikee

Feb 1, 2007
you can acquire a new passport from american embassy and then file it for getting license or yes you can ask your fiance to get your license on your behalf