10-01-2013
Passport Req..
Visa Exempt
VISA ISSUED...
Not yet
LANDED..........
31-05-2014
sophieee said:
Hi Hockeyfan, thanks for the info! My husband called them after we received our marriage certificate, but we will try again when we get the AOR.

I will send my papers the exact same day when my 6 months expire. We had to wait to the proof of my husbands 2013 income, because its way better than the year 2012. The bookkeeper said she can give him something this week. Hope this won't be a problem.
No, I would highly advise not sending it in the same day as when your 6 months expire as you will not get implied status. It takes a couple days to get the application in the post to CIC, so by then your status will have expired. I would send in an application for a work permit or extend your visitor visa at least once month in advance of expiration date.

hwanlj

Star Member
Mar 24, 2012
Toronto, ON
App. Filed.......
Jan.10.2014
LANDED..........
Oct.14.2015
Jamesdavid3 said:
We really need something like this but for 2014... whos up for the task

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AlF5vPwhP68bdENmTzlDSmpZTy1TRWdwamtLeURmZXc#gid=0
I agree.. We need that, but it's too early to make those at this point I think lol

sophieee

Champion Member
Jan 14, 2014
Vancouver
Category........
Visa Office......
CPC Mississauga
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Jan 20, 2014
AOR Received.
May 2, 2014
Med's Done....
Jan 10, 2014
Interview........
AIP: May 25, 2015
LANDED..........
Aug 11, 2015
hockeyfan said:
No, I would highly advise not sending it in the same day as when your 6 months expire as you will not get implied status. It takes a couple days to get the application in the post to CIC, so by then your status will have expired. I would send in an application for a work permit or extend your visitor visa at least once month in advance of expiration date.
Unfortunately that's not an option, my 6 moths expire next week.

hwanlj

Star Member
Mar 24, 2012
Toronto, ON
App. Filed.......
Jan.10.2014
LANDED..........
Oct.14.2015
sophieee said:
Unfortunately that's not an option, my 6 moths expire next week.
I partially agree with hockeyfan,...

Prior to the time your application is at the cic office, you would be out of status for 2-3 days.. Why don't you send it at least 2-3 days before your expiry date,..?

sophieee

Champion Member
Jan 14, 2014
Vancouver
Category........
Visa Office......
CPC Mississauga
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Jan 20, 2014
AOR Received.
May 2, 2014
Med's Done....
Jan 10, 2014
Interview........
LANDED..........
Aug 11, 2015
hwanlj said:
I partially agree with hockeyfan,...

Prior to the time your application is at the cic office, you would be out of status for 2-3 days.. Why don't you send it at least 2-3 days before your expiry date,..?
OK, I'm starting a little bit panicking... I'm filling out the application right know, so after all I can send it today. Shall I attach a paper declaring that I will send a sponsorship application? And it won't be a problem, that I don't have a prospective employer? It seems to me that I have to fill out the name and address of the employer.

hockeyfan

Mar 5, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
Vegreville
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
05-03-2013
AOR Received.
15-03-2013
Med's Done....
10-01-2013
Passport Req..
Visa Exempt
VISA ISSUED...
Not yet
LANDED..........
31-05-2014
sophieee said:
OK, I'm starting a little bit panicking... I'm filling out the application right know, so after all I can send it today. Shall I attach a paper declaring that I will send a sponsorship application? And it won't be a problem, that I don't have a prospective employer? It seems to me that I have to fill out the name and address of the employer.
I would just extend your visitor visa!! It shouldn't take too long to fill out and send it. Do it today if your status expires next week or else you won't get implied status. You could probably do it online too? Not sure. Make sure to keep receipts and all that and copies of the application.

If you come out of status then there is no way to get back in status without getting AIP first.

hockeyfan

Mar 5, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
Vegreville
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
05-03-2013
AOR Received.
15-03-2013
Med's Done....
10-01-2013
Passport Req..
Visa Exempt
VISA ISSUED...
Not yet
LANDED..........
31-05-2014
sophieee said:
Hmm I think you can put N/A, but I would double check with other people in this forum or search for this exact topic as many people have talked about this topic. Make sure to provide a cover letter with your UCI number and application number from your AOR and say not to approve the OWP before you get AIP.

Best of luck

EDIT: It sounds like you haven't gotten your AOR yet which means you wouldn't be able to send in an OWP as they wouldn't be able to match it to your file. I think you have to simply extend your visitor visa until you get AOR then you can apply for an OWP.

Double Edit: If you fall out of status I think you can apply within 90 days to restore your status but not sure what that entails or the fees involved. However, I would try to maintain valid status throughout this whole process.

corbs

Star Member
Jan 15, 2014
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
18-03-2013
AOR Received.
02-04-2013
Med's Done....
20-12-2013
I think the 90 days is just the time they give you in order to account for delays in processing. For example I was on an IEC visa which expired in July. I applied online for a visitor visa the day before my IEC expired. When the visitor visa arrived there was a note on it saying something to the effect of "status maintained as per xxxx". (Can't remember the exact phrasing). So it seems as long as you apply before the end of your status.

sophieee

Champion Member
Jan 14, 2014
Vancouver
Category........
Visa Office......
CPC Mississauga
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Jan 20, 2014
AOR Received.
May 2, 2014
Med's Done....
Jan 10, 2014
Interview........
LANDED..........
Aug 11, 2015
hockeyfan said:
Hmm I think you can put N/A, but I would double check with other people in this forum or search for this exact topic as many people have talked about this topic. Make sure to provide a cover letter with your UCI number and application number from your AOR and say not to approve the OWP before you get AIP.

Best of luck

EDIT: It sounds like you haven't gotten your AOR yet which means you wouldn't be able to send in an OWP as they wouldn't be able to match it to your file. I think you have to simply extend your visitor visa until you get AOR then you can apply for an OWP.

Double Edit: If you fall out of status I think you can apply within 90 days to restore your status but not sure what that entails or the fees involved. However, I would try to maintain valid status throughout this whole process.

Okay, so, this is what just happened. I had a green slip left from the US, so we went down to the border to give it back. We didn’t even enter the US, still, the Canadian border officer wasn’t happy with us... Long story short, they gave us a really hard time, I was really afraid that they won’t let me stay in Canada, but after all the officer turned to be very kind, I was given a two month extension. Luck of the stupids :p

I didn’t send anything yet, so I don’t have an AOR. So, am I supposed to send my sponsorship papers first, and the visa extension application just after I get the AOR? And there will be my UCI number in the AOR?
Sorry for the lot of questions, and thanks for the help, I’m really appreciating it!

hockeyfan

Mar 5, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
Vegreville
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
05-03-2013
AOR Received.
15-03-2013
Med's Done....
10-01-2013
Passport Req..
Visa Exempt
VISA ISSUED...
Not yet
LANDED..........
31-05-2014
sophieee said:
Okay, so, this is what just happened. I had a green slip left from the US, so we went down to the border to give it back. We didn't even enter the US, still, the Canadian border officer wasn't happy with us... Long story short, they gave us a really hard time, I was really afraid that they won't let me stay in Canada, but after all the officer turned to be very kind, I was given a two month extension. Luck of the stupids :p

I didn't send anything yet, so I don't have an AOR. So, am I supposed to send my sponsorship papers first, and the visa extension application just after I get the AOR? And there will be my UCI number in the AOR?
Sorry for the lot of questions, and thanks for the help, I'm really appreciating it!
Cool, glad it worked out for you! Next time don't cut it so close ;). Why don't you apply outland? Are you American? That means you are visa exempt and Outland applications are processed so much more faster than inland applications! If you check the CIC website inland takes about 19 months to complete! For Outland you would probably be done in under a year providing there is nothing unique about your application. Meaning you don't have any red flags on your app.

sophieee

Champion Member
Jan 14, 2014
Vancouver
Category........
Visa Office......
CPC Mississauga
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Jan 20, 2014
AOR Received.
May 2, 2014
Med's Done....
Jan 10, 2014
Interview........
LANDED..........
Aug 11, 2015
hockeyfan said:
Cool, glad it worked out for you! Next time don't cut it so close ;). Why don't you apply outland? Are you American? That means you are visa exempt and Outland applications are processed so much more faster than inland applications! If you check the CIC website inland takes about 19 months to complete! For Outland you would probably be done in under a year providing there is nothing unique about your application. Meaning you don't have any red flags on your app.
I'm Hungarian and was travelling back and forth since August, 2012, spending here 4-5 months, then 3-4 weeks in Hungary. I don’t want to be separated again from my husband, not even for a month, and definitely not for a year:(

hockeyfan

Mar 5, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
Vegreville
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
05-03-2013
AOR Received.
15-03-2013
Med's Done....
10-01-2013
Passport Req..
Visa Exempt
VISA ISSUED...
Not yet
LANDED..........
31-05-2014
sophieee said:
I'm Hungarian and was travelling back and forth since August, 2012, spending here 4-5 months, then 3-4 weeks in Hungary. I don't want to be separated again from my husband, not even for a month, and definitely not for a year:(
I totally understand your feeling! If you apply Outland, you can still live in Canada! I would research on this forum the benefits of inland vs Outland. Most often times, the Outland process is much faster!

sophieee

Champion Member
Jan 14, 2014
Vancouver
Category........
Visa Office......
CPC Mississauga
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Jan 20, 2014
AOR Received.
May 2, 2014
Med's Done....
Jan 10, 2014
Interview........
LANDED..........
Aug 11, 2015
hockeyfan said:
I totally understand your feeling! If you apply Outland, you can still live in Canada! I would research on this forum the benefits of inland vs Outland. Most often times, the Outland process is much faster!
Yeah, I saw that it's faster, but i thought that I must leave Canada to apply in person and I was afraid that they won't let back me again. Maybe I was wrong. Anyway, my package is almost done, we will double check once again in the morning and there are some more income slips to print and it's ready to go!:)

msbozick

Star Member
Jan 6, 2014
Calgary
Category........
Visa Office......
CPC-M
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
May 12, 2014
AOR Received.
August 7, 2014
Med's Request
Sept. 28, 2015
Med's Done....
October 7/8, 2015
Interview........
AIP: Sept. 28, 2015-- interview waived DM: Oct. 16, 2015
LANDED..........
Oct. 28 2015
Quick question, all! So I'm currently a student at the UofC on a student visa from the US. My bf and I are gearing up to apply for common law. My question is this: we're sending in the OWP app with everything else. If I decide not to go back to school next semester because of finances, am I still on implied status because I applied for OWP? I definitely think so, but I just need more opinions. I mean, if worst came to worst I could always go back to school in the fall, but I'd really, really like to save the $12,000. ;)

hwanlj

Star Member
Mar 24, 2012
Toronto, ON
App. Filed.......
Jan.10.2014
LANDED..........
Oct.14.2015
msbozick said:
Quick question, all! So I'm currently a student at the UofC on a student visa from the US. My bf and I are gearing up to apply for common law. My question is this: we're sending in the OWP app with everything else. If I decide not to go back to school next semester because of finances, am I still on implied status because I applied for OWP? I definitely think so, but I just need more opinions. I mean, if worst came to worst I could always go back to school in the fall, but I'd really, really like to save the $12,000. ;)
1. When you say "not to go back", you mean quitting or just taking a semester off? I don't know when your study permit expires, but as long as your student permit is valid, you are student status whether or not you're in school or not..

2. I'm pretty sure you are on implied status if you applied for owp.. But i would say you will have to explain why you need owp when you apply for it, because i think you can't be on study permit & work permit at the same time as far as i know (expect Off Campus Work permit)