+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Indian passport surrender

abbas.pasha

VIP Member
Sep 17, 2016
Hello All, I will be submitting my family's passport surrender application at the BLS Mississauga office. I have three questions as below. Any advice would be much appreciated. TIA.
1. My passport has "City, State" in the place of birth field. In the online surrender application form, should I only mention city in the place of birth field? As there is a separate field for the state, should I not mention it in the place of birth?
2. For my children (8 years old), do they need to sign or provide a thumb impression?
3. For the child's supporting documents, do they need to sign/attest it or does a parent sign on their behalf?
-Just mention that City and use the state from the following drop down option.
In the Indian passport I had Mumbai, MS mentioned as place of birth in the SC form I included this

2. Ask your child to sign
3 Either one of the parent's can sign the supporting document

Reactions: pratham02j

jananicmouli

Star Member
Aug 3, 2021
Hello, looking to apply for my surrender cert through postal as I live and work quite far from BLS and at this point, more convenient for me since I don't need to take days off for appointments. What are the possibilities for rejection/asking us to redo? Because I was told they do that for no reason and I know it will be a hassle to reapply, especially on postal. Can someone who has sent through postal provide their experience? Just trying to weigh the pros and cons. TIA!

abbas.pasha

VIP Member
Sep 17, 2016
Hello, looking to apply for my surrender cert through postal as I live and work quite far from BLS and at this point, more convenient for me since I don't need to take days off for appointments. What are the possibilities for rejection/asking us to redo? Because I was told they do that for no reason and I know it will be a hassle to reapply, especially on postal. Can someone who has sent through postal provide their experience? Just trying to weigh the pros and cons. TIA!
SC is the most simple application tbh.
Complexity comes in once you apply for OCI after receiving the SC
Use the checklist for supporting documentation you need to include with your application and the payment etc
Use this form as a sample to create your SC application online on Passport Seva website
https://www.blsindia-canada.com/toronto-jurisdiction/pdf/Surrender-Sample-form-with-common-errors.pdf

gotPrUnderCEC

Star Member
Sep 18, 2021
Hello guys, I recently got my canadian citizenship and then I travelled from Canada to India (using Canadian passport and Indian eVisa) Now I am planning to surrender my Indian passport while I am in India.
1. Can anyone share the link for the passport surrender in India
2. What should I do with my Aadhar Card, PAN Card (will they be cancelled or renewed or stay as it is)

abbas.pasha

VIP Member
Sep 17, 2016
Hello guys, I recently got my canadian citizenship and then I travelled from Canada to India (using Canadian passport and Indian eVisa) Now I am planning to surrender my Indian passport while I am in India.
1. Can anyone share the link for the passport surrender in India
2. What should I do with my Aadhar Card, PAN Card (will they be cancelled or renewed or stay as it is)
Follow post by @nivaan5

swan0206

Champion Member
May 14, 2019
There is no date verification like citizenship. Depends on BLS agent. Some ask 2. I did it at BLS they kept one and gave second back which I used for OCI but some experience shared in the forum is they asking for 2.
Hello. Any idea if i can pick-up the surrender passport on behalf of spouse?? By authorization?? Did you see anyone doing that??

jananicmouli

Star Member
Aug 3, 2021
SC is the most simple application tbh.
Complexity comes in once you apply for OCI after receiving the SC
Use the checklist for supporting documentation you need to include with your application and the payment etc
Use this form as a sample to create your SC application online on Passport Seva website
https://www.blsindia-canada.com/toronto-jurisdiction/pdf/Surrender-Sample-form-with-common-errors.pdf
Yes, I see that.. especially for OCI where I have to submit my original passport. Hoping that with the checklist and the form, my application does not get rejected as I am sending a postal. Thanks for your response!

jananicmouli

Star Member
Aug 3, 2021
Hello again, I have finally taken the plunge and booked an appointment for this Saturday for my surrender cert (premium lounge - BLS Toronto). I have also included photography services, however, I got an automated email back saying to upload a photo. Don't they have services there to take a photo? I am a little confused.

abbas.pasha

VIP Member
Sep 17, 2016
Hello again, I have finally taken the plunge and booked an appointment for this Saturday for my surrender cert (premium lounge - BLS Toronto). I have also included photography services, however, I got an automated email back saying to upload a photo. Don't they have services there to take a photo? I am a little confused.
Photo is not required to be uploaded at the application stage
You can get them clicked at BLS who will give you 2 prints
Attach one with the SC application and keep the other one with you to be used at the OCI stage(for OCI you will need to upload the photo on the OCI when you fill up the application)

Last edited:
Reactions: jananicmouli

vg2013

Star Member
Sep 2, 2020
How much time does it take for Surrender Certificate to arrive (from date of submission) ? (They say 2 to 4 weeks at BLS office).

I applied on June 10th (BLS @mississauga) but it is still showing up as "Surrender Certificate application form has been submitted. "

Piyaali

Jan 28, 2019
Vancouver
Category........
Other
Hello, any idea if Vancouver BLS is accepting walk-ins for SC application? I see posts from 2023 where people have mentioned walking-in but unable to find anything for this year. Any insights will be appreciated. Thank you :)

DC98

Nov 2, 2023
Hi,
I mailed my application for Surrender certificate to Surrey office BLS on May 21. The tracker has been saying "Surrender certificate is under review at Indian Embassy/Consulate." for may be 2 weeks plus maybe 3 weeks. Could anyone tell me how long it is taking currently or is anyone else waiting for the same office? I have my flight booked for India on Aug 10. I am planning to apply for e visa once I receive the surrender certificate. I am worried it won't come in time.
Anyone else waiting?