+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Indian passport surrender

vg2013

Star Member
Sep 2, 2020
Hi,
I mailed my application for Surrender certificate to Surrey office BLS on May 21. The tracker has been saying "Surrender certificate is under review at Indian Embassy/Consulate." for may be 2 weeks plus maybe 3 weeks. Could anyone tell me how long it is taking currently or is anyone else waiting for the same office? I have my flight booked for India on Aug 10. I am planning to apply for e visa once I receive the surrender certificate. I am worried it won't come in time.
Anyone else waiting?
I am too. Submitted my app on June 10th @mississauga as Walk in. It just says "Processing at Consulate General "

forw.jane

VIP Member
Apr 29, 2019
Hi,
I mailed my application for Surrender certificate to Surrey office BLS on May 21. The tracker has been saying "Surrender certificate is under review at Indian Embassy/Consulate." for may be 2 weeks plus maybe 3 weeks. Could anyone tell me how long it is taking currently or is anyone else waiting for the same office? I have my flight booked for India on Aug 10. I am planning to apply for e visa once I receive the surrender certificate. I am worried it won't come in time.
Anyone else waiting?
You don't need SC for e-visa, if that's the reason you waiting for.

DC98

Nov 2, 2023
yeah, you can also surrender in India, but cannot apply for OCI in India when you visit on eVisa
I have already surrendered my passport. But the application is in process since last month. I was just wondering if in any case it doesn't come on time, am i still able to catch the flight in August without SC and just an e visa and visit my family?

DC98

Nov 2, 2023
I have already surrendered my passport. But the application is in process since last month. I was just wondering if in any case it doesn't come on time, am i still able to catch the flight in August without SC and just an e visa and visit my family?
I will apply for OCI once I am back

forw.jane

VIP Member
Apr 29, 2019
E-visa comes within 24-48 hrs. So you have enough time till your travel in Aug.

forw.jane

VIP Member
Apr 29, 2019
Yes I understand that. Just wondering about the surrender certificate. At any point during immigration when I reach India, Will they ask me for a surrender certificate?
SC is needed only when you want to avail OCI. Immigration do not care about SC if you have Canadian passport and visa.

jay_i_am

Feb 25, 2024
I submitted my Indian Passport for surrender certificate on June 5 (walk in BLS) and it is still under processing in Vancouver. Anyone know the timeline to get the surrender certificate? Thanks!

Benicia David

Star Member
Sep 24, 2020
For anyone if this timeline might be useful.

INDIAN PASSPORT SURRENDER (postal application)
SC application mailed: June 3rd and received by BLS on June 4th.
BLS processing date: June 6th
Granted & printed: June 18th
Mailed back via purolator: June 24th and received in hand on June 25th.

coolkarni.m

Apr 17, 2023
Hello, I will be submitting my SC application in person in Toronto on Friday.
  • I plan to get the photos from BLS. Can someone let me know the cost? On their website it says $9 for 4 photos but I have seen people mention $15 for 2 photos in the forum.
  • Does the cost of Value added services include taxes?
  • What was your experience getting the SC/passport mailed back to the home? Would you recommend pick up instead?
Thank you!

Last edited:

forw.jane

VIP Member
Apr 29, 2019
Hello, I will be submitting my SC application in person in Toronto on Friday.
  • I plan to get the photos from BLS. Can someone let me know the cost? On their website it says $9 for 4 photos but I have seen people mention $15 for 2 photos in the forum.
  • Does the cost of Value added services include taxes?
  • What was your experience getting the SC/passport mailed back to the home? Would you recommend pick up instead?
Thank you!
$15 would be the old rate. Currently looks like its $9. Toronto do not allow pickup. Try if you are able to get it. Will save you courier charges.
Purolator service is not bad with tracking available online.