Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Thanx oll for the valuable suggestions to newly coming students

itstime

Jul 8, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
To original poster: Inform the international centre at north campus about this "agent". I am sure that Matt, Diane, Shameeza, et al would be interested to know. Humber works with a number of agents around the world to help future students with the application to Humber (which is not the same as helping future students with a visa). These agents should do this free of charge as they receive a payment from the college if you start your studies. If there is an agent working with the college giving false advice, I'm sure they would like to know this.

To all: The best advice I had from Humber came from Matt at international centre where he works with student services and it was "don't use an immigration lawyer [or consultant]". His advice saved me $2500 CAD. I did my application myself and I am here. Matt said that if an international student is unsure about their permit application, they could go through it. Matt gave me information that completely contradicted the immigration consultant I was about to use (who works for a very reputed firm in Toronto) and guess what... Matt was right!

I wish your new found friend all the luck. You have a heart of gold who are helping him. Kudos to you.

Wordlife

Star Member
Sep 11, 2013
Visa Office......
Chandigarh
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
18-09-2013
Doc's Request.
19-09-2013
IELTS Request
Med's Done....
24-07-2013
Passport Req..
19-09-2013
VISA ISSUED...
27-09-2013
LANDED..........
Sukh wele shukrana, dukh wele ardaas... har wele simran!!
Well actually these days students are more informed.. they actually know WHAT JOBS they will get there and how busy life is! But the fact is alotttt of ppl r willing to take up those jobs bcuz anything is better than 10k to 30k indian salary and no future gaurantee. We love to live with "KOI NA HO JUGA, RABB SAB SET KARDUGA" mentality. lol. If agents show the clear picture of whats coming ahead, things would be so much better for parents and kids. This would let them make more informed decision. Agents will always tell "CASH JOB KRLEGA BETA and FEES NIKAL JAYEGI". This is in their blood. I mean whats the point of going abroad if it isnt for better life!! Ppl should know its tough out their FOR THOSE COMING WITH ONLY ONE SEMESTER FEE AND FEW THOUSAND IN POCKET!! This is reality. No money no honey! No relatives would pay their fee or lend them money or even keep them in their home for entire course duration. My friend drives taxi + delivers pizza + goes to college... and he too had tough first 6 months!! he comes home just to sleep for few hours!! Jus Reign should make one such video instead of making all those brown indian videos. And lastly dont forget there is always going to be a border between indian nri students and international students. I could be wrong but i get a feel they dont like us except few of them!! <<< Correct me on this line. I really wanna know ur experience!!

just_do_it

Nov 20, 2012
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Wordlife said:
Well actually these days students are more informed.. they actually know WHAT JOBS they will get there and how busy life is! But the fact is alotttt of ppl r willing to take up those jobs bcuz anything is better than 10k to 30k indian salary and no future gaurantee. We love to live with "KOI NA HO JUGA, RABB SAB SET KARDUGA" mentality. lol. If agents show the clear picture of whats coming ahead, things would be so much better for parents and kids. This would let them make more informed decision. Agents will always tell "CASH JOB KRLEGA BETA and FEES NIKAL JAYEGI". This is in their blood. I mean whats the point of going abroad if it isnt for better life!! Ppl should know its tough out their FOR THOSE COMING WITH ONLY ONE SEMESTER FEE AND FEW THOUSAND IN POCKET!! This is reality. No money no honey! No relatives would pay their fee or lend them money or even keep them in their home for entire course duration. My friend drives taxi + delivers pizza + goes to college... and he too had tough first 6 months!! he comes home just to sleep for few hours!! Jus Reign should make one such video instead of making all those brown indian videos. And lastly dont forget there is always going to be a border between indian nri students and international students. I could be wrong but i get a feel they dont like us except few of them!! <<< Correct me on this line. I really wanna know ur experience!!
Assuming you mean Indian NRI as in Canadian Indian students and Indian visa students, then there is definitely a clash of cultures of a kind. Indo-canadian (those that are born here to desi parents) mostly resent the restricted lifestyle their parents impose on them and want to live like their white canadian friends and in the course will resent anything brown. You can still be friends with canadian desi guys bit its hard to do so with girls (if thats where you were going with this). Many reasons:

1. Different ways of thinking, values, idea of fun etc. Those from India have a lot to worry about: work, grades, family, future. Those born here dont have all those problems (or atleast most of these problems). so if you cant relate, you cant become friends.

2. The one persistent thing on Indian students' minds that keeps canadian desi's away, specially girls: getting PR by any means necessary. There have far too many horror stories of marriages of convenience or PR scams and such that just keeps people on the edge at all times. Even parents will advise their daughters to stay clear of Indian guys, those on visa's in Canada. It's a fact.

3. Canadian desi's tend to hang out with old friends they've known for some time. Most have gone to the same school and attend the same universities. If going to a new place, they'd prefer making white friends than brown.

4. Group of friends mentality- if some new guy comes into your school, would it be really easy for him to just walk into your group of friends and be your homie? Nope, not so easy. Same logic applies.

5. Tendacy of Asians to form their own groups and stick with each other and not integrate. One of the questions a lot of people ask on this forum is "Are there any * * (insert bangladeshi/ pakistani/ indians/ filipinos) in this city/ campus". Why does it matter? If going to school with your own people is so important, might as well stay home.

Us indians go a step further and split into north and south indians and both groups will have something to say about the other, even if they've never hung out with each other. 'Southies' call 'northies' loud alcoholics, 'northies' call 'southies' bookworm no-fun nerds (not my words but what ive heard multiple times). Perhaps its this mentality too that keeps canadian desi's away from Indians.

I always say that whoever is coming to Canada or any other country for that matter, leave your baggage at the airport in India. By baggage i mean your prejudices, caste, creed, discriminatory values... get rid of it all and you will have no problem making friends.

I went to Uvic and i had maybe a couple of Canadian-indian friends (not a lot of indians here) and most of my friends were (still are) other Asians and white canadians. But you will find the divide more prominent where there are more Indian students because all those things ive talked about are present there in bigger proportions.

elokuu

Jun 22, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
London
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
29-07-2015
AOR Received.
27-08-2015
File Transfer...
28-09-2015
Med's Done....
24-06-2015
VISA ISSUED...
17-12-2015
LANDED..........
02-03-2016
As a complete outsider (a Finn who's never been to Canada yet but dating a Canadian) I'd just like to say that this has been a very interesting discussion to read. I love learning about other cultures.

Wordlife

Star Member
Sep 11, 2013
Visa Office......
Chandigarh
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
18-09-2013
Doc's Request.
19-09-2013
IELTS Request
Med's Done....
24-07-2013
Passport Req..
19-09-2013
VISA ISSUED...
27-09-2013
LANDED..........
That was quite an amazing description. This thread should be more than enough to give an idea about life in Canada to newbies and wannabies. We have actually over-abused the immigration system everywhere be it uk, australia or canada. This only made visas tougher for genuine cases and jobs tougher for genuine graduates. I hope the canadian govt isnt tracking this forum to read the trending schemes students are upto lol. And I don't understand one thing... no pun intended... Why are chinese students comprising of more than 50% new comers every year while rest of the world (india, paki, sri lanka, kenya, japan, uk etc etc) is less than 50% ... I wonder why do they give that one country soooo manyyyy visas... There should be some sort of country specific proportion u know.. so that foreign students assimilate better with each other.

And while I thought humanity is dead abroad and every man is for himself, but creator of this thread definitely recomposed my faith. There r still ppl there looking after each other and the newcomers. This should be a sign of relief for those who dont have any friend/ relative in canada but wish to study/work there. And that guy who got helped at humber bus stand will tell this story to his wife and kids on how he got settled. Something to remember indeed.

just_do_it

Nov 20, 2012
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Wordlife said:
That was quite an amazing description. This thread should be more than enough to give an idea about life in Canada to newbies and wannabies. We have actually over-abused the immigration system everywhere be it uk, australia or canada. This only made visas tougher for genuine cases and jobs tougher for genuine graduates. I hope the canadian govt isnt tracking this forum to read the trending schemes students are upto lol. And I don't understand one thing... no pun intended... Why are chinese students comprising of more than 50% new comers every year while rest of the world (india, paki, sri lanka, kenya, japan, uk etc etc) is less than 50% ... I wonder why do they give that one country soooo manyyyy visas... There should be some sort of country specific proportion u know.. so that foreign students assimilate better with each other.

And while I thought humanity is dead abroad and every man is for himself, but creator of this thread definitely recomposed my faith. There r still ppl there looking after each other and the newcomers. This should be a sign of relief for those who dont have any friend/ relative in canada but wish to study/work there. And that guy who got helped at humber bus stand will tell this story to his wife and kids on how he got settled. Something to remember indeed.
Not sure if there is a visa allocation quota of 50% to china, but a lot of chinese students do go abroad for education (not only canada, US universities get their fair share too). Mostly because a majority of students from China are from well to do families and can actually afford to go to school here without depending on part time jobs. Most of them also return back because they may have better opportunities at home or the govt gets them to go back (i think they have mandatory military service they have to complete at some point in life). also, some of the chinese students are actually sponsored by their govts to study abroad so that global exposure and the command of english language can be used to the benefit of their own country. Thats probably why their visa rejection rate is a lot less than in India.

As far as canadian govt's knowledge is concerned, i would bet they know of all the current scams out there. It just takes them a long time to make changes to the laws of the country. But they are adapting and making it tougher for non-genuine folks to get away with things , making it tougher for genuine one's along the way. Thats the price we all have to pay.

Humanity is not dead per se but things are definitely different from what people are used to back in their home countries like India. Life is busy, fast and leaves people selfish. Especially with our mentality of showing off, those who just got off a plane want to compete with those who have been here for 20-30 years in terms of material possession and success. Seen it all too often. It's this race that turns people sour and jealous. However, if you are good to others, people will generally be good to you. There are a few odd ones and thats what life experiences teach you to stay away from those, but people are good in general and most will do everything in their ability to help others out as much as they can. Well, mostly.

itstime

Jul 8, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
just_do_it said:
5. Tendacy of Asians to form their own groups and stick with each other and not integrate. One of the questions a lot of people ask on this forum is "Are there any * * (insert bangladeshi/ pakistani/ indians/ filipinos) in this city/ campus". Why does it matter? If going to school with your own people is so important, might as well stay home.
This is not just an Asian trait. This is something people from other cultures do too. I've seen it often. Not just in Canada but in many other countries. This limits an immigrant. Hanging only with friends from your home country will slow down the local language process. For students, this is detrimental! Don't hang with people from your own country only!

English is "almost" my first language. I can honestly not say that it isn't because I could read and write in several languages at an early stage and I can't remember which one of them was first. Still, I have chosen to have a tutor for some extra help and she is from India, has only been here a year and her english is faultless. Her accent barely detectable. I would have guessed she had been here since early childhood. Wrong! And also very impressive.

When living abroad I've gone out of my way to NOT spend time with people from my "home country". I do this to be able to learn the local culture and way of living as much and as fast as possible. Sure, I cook my local food and I shops some groceries that I grew up with back home. But it isn't what defines my day or something I feel I *have* to do. If I needed to have everything from back home, I would have stayed there.

But.... none of that has anything to do with what this guy is going through right now. Unfortunately, it is the applicant (us) who are responsible for using the correct representation.

DevPratap

Star Member
Sep 10, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
New Delhi
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
IELTS Request
Guys

I have got my IELTS results today and unfortunately only manage to get 6 band that kind of very disappointing for me .
Can someone suggest me any collage or uni where can I get master course or is this 6 band can be base for my student visa refusal .

Cheers

Wordlife

Star Member
Sep 11, 2013
Visa Office......
Chandigarh
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
18-09-2013
Doc's Request.
19-09-2013
IELTS Request
Med's Done....
24-07-2013
Passport Req..
19-09-2013
VISA ISSUED...
27-09-2013
LANDED..........
DevPratap said:
Guys

I have got my IELTS results today and unfortunately only manage to get 6 band that kind of very disappointing for me .
Can someone suggest me any collage or uni where can I get master course or is this 6 band can be base for my student visa refusal .

Cheers
6 bands are less but i have seen ppl getting visa with 6 bands and also seen many getting rejected. I doubt about masters but u may try for post graduate diploma, few colleges accept 6 bands like fleming etc. If u think u still have time, give ielts once again. But thats just an advice though.. GIC takes time, so apply before end of october just to be on safe side.

saranjeet singh

Star Member
Aug 9, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Wordlife said:
Perspective 1.....90% of us choose student visa just as a means to get PR! (faster, more reliable than federal skilled worker or other categories) I mean think technically who would want to go back and get a job home unless his/her parents are some CM or star. We see our relatives and nri cousins lavishly living and have every trending gadget a man can possibly think of buying. We look upon them, we cherish them, we adore them, we love them (THEY DONT THOUGH!!) Seeing them, we DREAM TOO, sooo people put their homes and everything on mortgage, loan money from banks/friends and some middle class govt employees take out their entire life's savings (including provident funds) just to send their kid to canada with hope that it would be a ticket to safer, richer and brighter future.

Perspective 2.....But in the end think again, if its really that bad in canada, why there r still over 1 lakh international students coming every year (1 LAKH CANT BE DUMB) and the older ones get pr or find some way to sneak into the legal system after college (contract marriage, LMO, PNP etc)... Its hard indeed, but what would u prefer, crying for 2-3 years or crying for 20-30 yrs? In india, life in metros is full of *censored word*. U cant see ur kids growing up there. This is it... Canada, a dream of middle class. If today Canada stops giving pr or work permit to students, would u apply to STUDY? Exactly... u wont. U'll revert to australia or other destinations or just go to delhi for IAS prep LOL!

P.S. There is no such thing as free ride... oh wait... i mean free PR! and did u see that miss america btw?? shes hot!!
hahahaha Ghaint likhyaa

txboyscout

Jun 9, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
03-08-2011
th3.rdx said:
Today , i am writing this because just few hours back i found a guy crying outside humber college bus stop . He doesnt had money to even eat food , i took him with me to my house and he told me how new coming students are dreaming of canada , that there is bucks of dollars in here ( 2 lakhs / mnths ) on part time as per told by his agent.
Just to let people know 2 Lakh rupees a month take home (after taxes) is around $50, 000 CAD/Yr. That is considered a pretty decent full time salary in Canada (a good percentage of people do not make that much money even with full time professional job). So if anyone is telling you that you can make that kind of money in a part-time non-professional job they are LYING to you.

I totally understand the need for people to leave their homelands and seek better opportunity in a new country, but you have to be realistic. The streets in Canada (or any other country in the world) are not paved with gold like these fraud agents would have you believe. In this day and age there is simply no excuse for not doing your own independent research and making the most informed decision possible

mead

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
delhi
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
27-11-2012
Doc's Request.
28-11-2012
IELTS Request
n/a
Med's Request
n/a
Med's Done....
n/a
VISA ISSUED...
6-12-2012
txboyscout said:
Just to let people know 2 Lakh rupees a month take home (after taxes) is around $50, 000 CAD/Yr. That is considered a pretty decent full time salary in Canada (a good percentage of people do not make that much money even with full time professional job). So if anyone is telling you that you can make that kind of money in a part-time non-professional job they are LYING to you.

I totally understand the need for people to leave their homelands and seek better opportunity in a new country, but you have to be realistic. The streets in Canada (or any other country in the world) are not paved with gold like these fraud agents would have you believe. In this day and age there is simply no excuse for not doing your own independent research and making the most informed decision possible
lol so true...but people have misconceptions they think "this is not me i will be different I am better and will definitely make lots of money"..lol......