Category........
CEC
NOC Code......
AOR Received.
01-05-2017
Med's Done....
06/10/2017
Hello Guys,

I am posting this question because I wanted to know what the experienced experts of this forum know about my question.

I read the immigration plan 2017 which was the major new update on immigration I was waiting for. With months and months of build up that the government is going to make rule changes to make immigration easier for international students, I am very disappointed as I did not see anything in the immigration plan that will make immigration to canada easier under the current express entry points system of international students.

I have 3 year diploma for seneca college and now 1 year NOC B experience but that does not give me enough points to apply under any category in express entry as I do not meet the minimum cut off.

I want to know if you guys have any update as to if there are going to be any major changes in the coming months for international students such as points increase in express entry for studying or living in canada that will allow me and many others to meet the minimum cut off.

Thanks,

Alexios07

Champion Member
Jun 22, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
If we actually have any updates regarding the changes, you will definitely see it here on the front page. We have questions like yours at least 5 times a day.

Elrud

Jun 9, 2016
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Anyone can live in Canada, say with a visitor visa. What's matter is what you achieved in order to get additional points such as for Canadian education. It will not matter whether someone left Canada or stays there as you can apply for express entry anywhere around the world and would get bonus points for your Canadian education even if you left Canada.

ballo

Jul 7, 2016
Category........
CEC
NOC Code......
AOR Received.
01-05-2017
Med's Done....
06/10/2017
Thank you all for the reply. I have been reading such plans of IRCC to give international students bonus points for education. however I waited for september october and now november for this to be announced and after this major plan announcement I still dont see this being implemented.

I just wanted to know if anyone had any insider updates as to the potential timeline of this being implemented

ButterflyChemist

Jun 24, 2014
ballo said:
Thank you all for the reply. I have been reading such plans of IRCC to give international students bonus points for education. however I waited for september october and now november for this to be announced and after this major plan announcement I still dont see this being implemented.

I just wanted to know if anyone had any insider updates as to the potential timeline of this being implemented
It was a suggestion of a change that might be implemented not something set in stone with only a date pending

tormentor

Star Member
Nov 13, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
ButterflyChemist said:
It was a suggestion of a change that might be implemented not something set in stone with only a date pending
I think its more than just a suggestion. McCallum has repeatedly announced that these changes are 'coming soon', that's as legit as it can possibly get. Anyway, we have discussed this to death billion times! Just gotta wait and see. And for the original question, NO. No one here has any insider information. It'll happen when it happens.

Elrud

Jun 9, 2016
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
tormentor said:
I think its more than just a suggestion. McCallum has repeatedly announced that these changes are 'coming soon', that's as legit as it can possibly get. Anyway, we have discussed this to death billion times! Just gotta wait and see. And for the original question, NO. No one here has any insider information. It'll happen when it happens.
This fall definitely you'll get an announcement.

ButterflyChemist

Jun 24, 2014
tormentor said:
He also said the immigration target would have been increased.

tormentor

Star Member
Nov 13, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
ButterflyChemist said:
He also said the immigration target would have been increased.
He never said that. What was there to it was a recommendation from a lobbyist group, and a lot of media hullabaloo. In fact, he had clearly stated that the 450000 figure would be ambitious for now and they were looking at increasing the number 'in future'.

ballo

Jul 7, 2016
Category........
CEC
NOC Code......
AOR Received.
01-05-2017
Med's Done....
06/10/2017
The minister definitely considers this change to be important. My best guess is that this change will applied at start of 2017 and announcement should then be any time between Mid November and End of December.

There is an IRCC meeting coming up on 12th November. Hopefully that will bear some fruits

Alexios07

Champion Member
Jun 22, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
tormentor said:
He never said that. What was there to it was a recommendation from a lobbyist group, and a lot of media hullabaloo. In fact, he had clearly stated that the 450000 figure would be ambitious for now and they were looking at increasing the number 'in future'.
He did say he wanted to increase the quota, but to receive more refugees,

John McCallum wants to 'substantially increase' immigration to fill Canada's labour needs

and it got backslashed from the Parliament and his own Party. I guess that's why the quota stays at 300,000.

John McCallum acknowledges internal Liberal debate on immigration file

The master plan is already out, now the most important thing is the program updates for Express Entry. I think it's not easy to decide how many bonus points should they give to Canadian degree or canadian siblings, so they have to review their data, the EE pool, average score range etc. to make the decision.

tormentor

Star Member
Nov 13, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Alexios07 said:
He did say he wanted to increase the quota, but to receive more refugees,

John McCallum wants to 'substantially increase' immigration to fill Canada's labour needs

and it got backslashed from the Parliament and his own Party. I guess that's why the quota stays at 300,000.

John McCallum acknowledges internal Liberal debate on immigration file

The master plan is already out, now the most important thing is the program updates for Express Entry. I think it's not easy to decide how many bonus points should they give to Canadian degree or canadian siblings, so they have to review their data, the EE pool, average score range etc. to make the decision.
Yeah, this makes sense. However, express entry points update is less of a thorn than overall immigration numbers politically.

Kingtochi

Star Member
Feb 3, 2012
I enjoy reading the discussion on this forum. keep the discussion going because it gives hope to students in regards to the changes. I know many students are anxious due to the time left on our PGWP. Everything is possible if you believe! Don't give up!