+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

IMM5406E (Cannot validate the form)

jaznihemaiti

Jul 3, 2015
Just filled out IMM5406 form, but cannot validate, checked the dates, formats and everything is correct, reinstalled the Adobe reader to the latest version, also tried it on different PC and Laptop, still cannot validate, no error message, nothing shows when clicking the validate button, and today is the deadline to submit the application form, would IRCC extend the dates by any chance if I call to tell them the issue??? anyone experienced the same problem not being able to validate the form?

kiwitocadwi

Jul 25, 2023
And did you have approval for your application VISA? I having the same problem and had this idea: print and sign it manually, scan and upload.
Hi - I submitted my application this week. The 5406 is done electronically so you manually enter the details and digitally sign (type) at the end - there is nothing to upload. Lots of stress for nothing!

I uploaded a screenshot of the digital forms for my application here, but the 5406 is there too: https://pasteboard.co/lwzBiPt2vxQE.png (If you can't see it I can pm you)

Juryken

Jan 23, 2024
People are talking about filling it out, printing it, signing, and scanning - that's all good BUT don't you have to "validate" it to add barcodes? You wouldn't get the validation/barcodes if you just print it, right?

kiwitocadwi

Jul 25, 2023
People are talking about filling it out, printing it, signing, and scanning - that's all good BUT don't you have to "validate" it to add barcodes? You wouldn't get the validation/barcodes if you just print it, right?
The 5406 is currently entered online, digitally. At least for the spouse sponsorship outside Canada. There is no form to print and scan (only realised after I spent ages trying to validate the 5406 PDF). Information for forms 5406, 0008, 5669 and 5562 is put in via the website and "validated" at the end of the form.

Images here. Also includes view of difference between digital forms and PDF forms:

Juryken

Jan 23, 2024
The 5406 is currently entered online, digitally. At least for the spouse sponsorship outside Canada.
Thanks for your response - I'm helping someone whose spouse overseas is NOT in a position / competent to fill out all of the form online, in some internet cafe.
Can the spouse (PR) in Canada fill out the bulk of the form on her behalf, and have her merely sign it online? Or anything else that allows us to do more of the heavy lifting here in Canada on our fancy computers, so that the spouse overseas has a much simpler process? If the validation worked in the PDFs, we could set it all up and just send for her digital signature, much easier for her...

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
Thanks for your response - I'm helping someone whose spouse overseas is NOT in a position / competent to fill out all of the form online, in some internet cafe.
Can the spouse (PR) in Canada fill out the bulk of the form on her behalf, and have her merely sign it online? Or anything else that allows us to do more of the heavy lifting here in Canada on our fancy computers, so that the spouse overseas has a much simpler process? If the validation worked in the PDFs, we could set it all up and just send for her digital signature, much easier for her...
Have the principal applicant sign the use of representative form, designating the sponsor as representative. The sponsor then signs on behalf.

You're going to have to figure out how to get the applicant to sign the representative form.

https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/application/application-forms-guides/use-representative.html

Reactions: kiwitocadwi

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
I very much appreciate your help.
Just to note, the usual way (before all online anyway) was scan and print (or just print electronic version), sign and scan, attach that scanned/signed version. I doub tthat's changed for the online application

Juryken

Jan 23, 2024
Thanks again. However, that seems to indicate that the "validation" step isn't required. In fact this whole thread seems to be saying that.
If we can just upload the form, filled out and signed by the applicant abroad, without any barcodes in place, that is easy enough.
I think what you're saying is that the Canadian govt. SAYS it needs to be validated, even though it doesn't actually have to be?