+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

I want to sponsor my mother, but my common-law partner does not have status yet

yohoo

Apr 25, 2013
Hi everyone

I need help here about sponsor my mother to Canada. My mon divorced long time ago, so I just need to sponsor herself. I am in a common-law relationship, but my common-law partner does not have canadian status yet.

My questions are:
1. does my common-law partner qualify for be a co-signer?
2. if my common-law partner cannot be a co-signer, does that mean I must have enough income for all of us. (3 people)

Thank you

yohoo

Apr 25, 2013
How is your common-law partner getting status? Are you sponsoring your common-law partner?
No, I did not submit sponsorship application for my common-law partner. My common-law partner will apply under EE in future.

k.h.p.

VIP Member
Mar 1, 2019
Canada
A common-law partner can normally co-sign an application and contribute to the income required to meet the LICO. However, the co-signer must meet the same eligibility requirements as the sponsor. While your common-law partner has status in Canada (work permit) if they are not a PR, they are not eligible to co-sign.

If you are common-law partners, then that means your "family size" is 2 for the two of you, and 3 if you include your mother. So your income must meet the LICO for a family of 3.

Reactions: yohoo and YVR123

yohoo

Apr 25, 2013
A common-law partner can normally co-sign an application and contribute to the income required to meet the LICO. However, the co-signer must meet the same eligibility requirements as the sponsor. While your common-law partner has status in Canada (work permit) if they are not a PR, they are not eligible to co-sign.

If you are common-law partners, then that means your "family size" is 2 for the two of you, and 3 if you include your mother. So your income must meet the LICO for a family of 3.
ok, I got it. Thank you