+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

I want to bring my girlfriend here from Romania

brenth

Mar 17, 2008
Anybody know what I'm up against? I want to marry her here, and I'm not even sure if she'll be allowed out of her Country.

brenth

Mar 17, 2008
kinda new at this, does that mean if I sponser her she can come back with me after we got married? Right away I mean, or we have to leave seperatly?

ThirstyDeer

Star Member
Feb 10, 2008
Marrying her doesn't give her an automatic pass into entering the country. My understanding is that she'll still need her passport and a visa for her to enter the country.

torresandino

Mar 14, 2008
Once you and her are married you have to come back to Canada and you have to do the sponsorship application. This takes about anywhere from 6 to 12 months. They also have to do criminal back round checks on her and you will have to have a clean record also. You also need to prove that your relationship is real not just for papers, so I would suggest that you keep all the evidence that you can. go to the cic.gc.ca there you can find some more info.

brenth

Mar 17, 2008
Do you know how dificult it is to get a visa from Romania to Canada? Is there anything that can be done to prepare for this?

scorchia

Mar 17, 2008
brenth said:
Do you know how dificult it is to get a visa from Romania to Canada? Is there anything that can be done to prepare for this?
I'm from Moldova (next to Romania) and I was refused for a visa to Canada to visit my fiancee.reason:not enought social ties with ur home country. So if she doesn't provide enought evidances then high chance to be rejected:( But maybe it will be easier now coz Romania in EU.Good luck

brenth

Mar 17, 2008
Does anyone know how long one needs to wait after they are married before they are allowed into the Country? From Romania more specifically, but from other places may be helpful too.

CVuser1947

Sep 17, 2006
dear,

if your GF comes to canada on visit visa and you apply for the sponsorship then it will take 38 days(http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/times/canada/process-in.asp) in canada and after that for permanent residence application she has to go back to apply from romania, it can take about 10 months(http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/times/international/05-fc-spouses.asp).

You can get marry her in canada but she has to go back home once her visa is expired or you can file for extension but she has to go back for her interview and Permanent visa.

so, it's about 12 months time you have to deal with.

Gdaymate

Star Member
Sep 26, 2007
Why don't you gather all the evidence you can and apply for a tourist visa for your GF? (By evidence I mean if she can show strong family ties to Romania, owns property there, has a good job that she has to go back to etc). If it's granted she can come here, you can marry and then apply for PR from within Canada and you won't have to be apart. You would need to apply for PR before her tourist visa runs out and if you apply for an Open Work Permit (OWP) at the same time, then she won't need to extend her tourist visa as she will have implied status until the OWP is granted.

The first step of the PR process is "Approval in Principle" (AIP) - this means you have been approved to sponsor her. This usually takes a few months from the time you apply (if doing inland). If you include the OWP application with the PR application, you put it in a separate envelope and mark that you only want it processed once AIP has been determined. What happens is you'll get the AIP and OWP at the same time and then you no longer have to worry about her "tourist" status in Canada and your girlfriend will be able to work while you wait for the rest of the application to be processed.

If you can't get a tourist visa for her then you'll have to go to Romania, get married and then apply for PR. It does mean you'll be apart for a while but it's usually faster than in-land to reach the end of the entire process. Bucharest gives a timeline of between 4-8 months.

Hope that helps.

brenth

Mar 17, 2008
How long would it take to apply for conjucal rights? If she got refused for the visa, would that qualify us for conjucal? Would it take a shorter amount of time?

Gdaymate

Star Member
Sep 26, 2007
The time taken will be the same no matter what class you apply under.

There's nothing you can do to make the process go faster, but you can do things to make sure it doesn't take even longer than necessary by filling out all the forms correctly and honestly, doing anything you can up-front (like medicals, police checks etc) and having enough evidence to satisfy the requirements of whatever class you apply under. That should help ensure there are no delays as CIC won't have to ask you for things once processing gets underway.

No, getting refused for the visa is not sufficient to "qualify" you for conjugal, you will still need to show all the evidence as required in the guidelines. I suggest you read through them and see which category you think would be best in your situation. Conjugal is often seen as the hardest to prove.