4 April 2011
Passport Req..
4 April 2011
VISA ISSUED...
7 July 2011
LANDED..........
15 July 2011
canadianwoman said:
CIC is not racist, though individual visa officers may be. But CIC certainly discriminates on the basis of country of origin! Look at the estimated time lines for PR processing at embassies: the gov't has openly stated that it prefers Chinese and Indian immigrants, and is less welcoming to Latin American, Caribbean, and African immigrants, and the time lines and numbers accepted support this. Accra and Nairobi have the longest wait times in the world; Beijing and New Delhi are some of the quickest.
Can you direct me to where the Canadian government "openly stated " that CIC prefers Chinese, please? My experience has been to the contrary.

gagansingh

Champion Member
Feb 22, 2011
shaka1 said:
ok ,, here is my my latest predicament with my application,,,
i recieved an email on friday asking me to submit my passport , due to the fact that my background checks came in clean ,,
i got to the canadian embassy kuala lumpur this morning , at 830 am ,, and submitted my passport ,, i was asked to wait and i waited for 2 hours ,, after which i was told to go home because they want to check my passport ,,i actually saw my visa officer telling the lady at the front desk to tell me to go home ,,,
they want to check my passport if its genuine ,, and all the visas on it ,,and they will get back to me this week ,
for crying out loud ///// this same passport was given to them in december during my interview ,, and and it was returned to me in january ,, and then they told me that ,, they needed to do my background checks ,, so now ,, why when i submit again they need to check the passport ,, its very sad ,, i think my visa officer is looking for a way to deny me ,,
so he is doing all he can to find a loop hole ,, maybe its because i am a nigerian ,,
its just frustrating ,

waiting begins again.....

canadianwoman

VIP Member
Nov 6, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
Accra, Ghana
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
30-01-2008
Interview........
05-05-2009
toby said:
Can you direct me to where the Canadian government "openly stated " that CIC prefers Chinese, please? My experience has been to the contrary.
I'll try to find the quote. It was in some report I read, where the gov't had done studies and found that the children of immigrants from China and India were more successful than the children of immigrants from Latin American, Africa, and the Caribbean, and so the gov't had decided to expedite the PR applications from China and India, and accept more from these two countries, and correspondingly slow down the processing of PR apps from the 'less desirable' areas.
Why there is still such a difference between northern China (Beijing office) and southern (Hong Kong office) in both percentage rejected and wait times, was not explained.

_696_

Nov 24, 2010
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Not yet
Doc's Request.
Nomination.....
AOR Received.
IELTS Request
File Transfer...
Med's Request
Med's Done....
Interview........
Passport Req..
VISA ISSUED...
LANDED..........
I'd really love to read that too!!

toby

Champion Member
Sep 29, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
Hong Kong
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
November 2009
Med's Done....
October 2009 and 15 April 2011
Interview........
4 April 2011
Passport Req..
4 April 2011
VISA ISSUED...
7 July 2011
LANDED..........
15 July 2011
canadianwoman said:
I'll try to find the quote. It was in some report I read, where the gov't had done studies and found that the children of immigrants from China and India were more successful than the children of immigrants from Latin American, Africa, and the Caribbean, and so the gov't had decided to expedite the PR applications from China and India, and accept more from these two countries, and correspondingly slow down the processing of PR apps from the 'less desirable' areas.
Why there is still such a difference between northern China (Beijing office) and southern (Hong Kong office) in both percentage rejected and wait times, was not explained.
Interesting. Thanks.

One possible explanation of the difference between Beijing and Hong Kong processing times is that Beijing has a larger staff, and reportedly the majority of fraudulent applications come from the south of China. I don't know why that should be, but I did read it somewhere. Sorry, I can't recall the source.

This raises the question, if the premise is true, that Chinese and Indian children do better, (1) is Canada entitled to look out for its own welfare and prefer immigrants from those countries? Or (2) should Canada be bound by a code of equality, give the same treatment to immigrants likely to contribute less to Canada's well-being, and thus jeopardize Canada's best interests?

I know, immigrants from Latin American countries will opt for (2), while Chinese and Indian people will opt for (1). But can we have a dispassionate, objective discussion of this choice?

canadianwoman

VIP Member
Nov 6, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
Accra, Ghana
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
30-01-2008
Interview........
05-05-2009
I wonder if southern China really does produce more fraudulent marriages. The Beijing office uses an outside agency to help process applications. Maybe if Canadian visa officers in Beijing spent as much time scouring every document for evidence of fraud, and took as long to do so as their counterparts in Hong Kong, they would find as many cases of fraud.

For spouses, partners, and children, I think the government should strive to treat all areas of the world equally. For economic migrants, since the government is already discriminating on the basis of education and economic prospects, I guess it is OK to also discriminate on the basis of which group historically will do better in the long run in Canada.

uccemebug

Mar 17, 2011
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Tokyo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-04-2011
AOR Received.
17-05-2011
File Transfer...
10-05-2011
Med's Done....
03-28-2011
Passport Req..
09-12-2011
VISA ISSUED...
10-05-2011
LANDED..........
10-05-20
canadianwoman said:
I wonder if southern China really does produce more fraudulent marriages. The Beijing office uses an outside agency to help process applications. Maybe if Canadian visa officers in Beijing spent as much time scouring every document for evidence of fraud, and took as long to do so as their counterparts in Hong Kong, they would find as many cases of fraud.

For spouses, partners, and children, I think the government should strive to treat all areas of the world equally. For economic migrants, since the government is already discriminating on the basis of education and economic prospects, I guess it is OK to also discriminate on the basis of which group historically will do better in the long run in Canada.
Good post! I wonder if quite apart from the issue of fraud there are issues with lax regional/national attitudes towards regulations that makes every application more likely to be hard to gauge. Most Japanese seem to be natural born bureuacrats, for instance....

inlimbo

Star Member
Jun 15, 2010
Category........
Visa Office......
Accra, Ghana
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
05-2009
File Transfer...
18-06-2009
Interview........
02-06-10
canadianwoman said:
CIC is not racist, though individual visa officers may be. But CIC certainly discriminates on the basis of country of origin! Look at the estimated time lines for PR processing at embassies: the gov't has openly stated that it prefers Chinese and Indian immigrants, and is less welcoming to Latin American, Caribbean, and African immigrants, and the time lines and numbers accepted support this. Accra and Nairobi have the longest wait times in the world; Beijing and New Delhi are some of the quickest.
I almost completely agree with this comment, except I would go as far as to say that the discrimination is likely embedded in racism. I actually inquired about this topic once by emailing the CIC department and I got a reply that I thought was cut and pasted from external documents. The person that sent the reply first acknowledged I was inquiring about a permanent resident application, then, nearing the end of the response, went on about Temporary Resident Visas.

If this lack of consistency in thought proves anything about the abilities to democratically process immigrant applications to Canada, I'm not surprised Canada's immigration system is unjust and unreasonable. In fact, this inquiry I'm referring to was sent in January 2010 and was replied to 6 weeks later.

My husband still does not have a visa FOURTEEN months later.

Here's the response from Kenney's office (minus my personal information at the beginning):

I appreciate your wish for your husband to join you in Canada as soon as possible. We understand that as processing times lengthen, anxiety levels increase, especially among those waiting to be reunited with family. The Canadian government does its best to prioritize family reunification.

Immigrants to Canada are selected by a process that does not discriminate on the grounds of race, national or ethnic origin, colour, religion or sex. The principle of non-discrimination is part of the Immigration and Refugee Protection Act (IRPA) and is consistent with the Canadian Charter of Rights and Freedoms. It also reflects Canada's tradition of fairness and natural justice and our nation's multicultural character. There is no favouritism toward any geographic or ethnic group.

Each visa office must deal with operational environments unique both to its role in Citizenship and Immigration Canada’s (CIC) overall overseas program commitments and the realities of the area of the world in which they are located. As a result, processing times for different types of applications vary within the CIC visa office network.

Our officers have an obligation under the IRPA to assess whether Family Class relationships are genuine and have not been entered into for the purpose of facilitating immigration to Canada. Persons who entered into a non-genuine marriage, common-law relationship, conjugal partnership or adoption in order to obtain permanent residence in Canada must be refused. It is, therefore, important for the officers to examine the particular circumstances of a relationship and to assess it in the context of the cultural norms of the country. For this reason, it is frequently necessary for the examining officer to ask pertinent questions and request documentation which the applicant may feel to be unwarranted or officious.

While there is no embargo on communicating with Canadian missions abroad about the status of individual immigration cases, it is in everyone’s interest to minimize these contacts since the time taken to respond to representations may be spent at the expense of ongoing case work. For example, it would be premature to ask for a status report where a case has not been active beyond the time normally needed to process a file at the office involved.

With regard to the issuing of Temporary Resident Visas (TRVs), the IRPA gives Canadian visa officers the exclusive authority to issue TRVs and sets out certain basic requirements. Applicants must be in good health and have no criminal record. They must possess the necessary travel documents and sufficient funds to support themselves during their visit and to pay for transportation home. Visa officers must be satisfied that the applicants are not planning to remain in Canada after an authorized stay. In order to determine this, visa officers consider such factors as the applicants’ ties to their homeland, employment, family, future plans and reasons for visiting.

The onus rests solely with the applicants to establish that they meet these requirements. They are given the opportunity to present their cases by providing documentary evidence and any other relevant information to support their applications. Where required, an interview may also be held. A decision is made only after consideration of all factors.

Hosts in Canada often make genuine assurances that the applicant will return home. They are ultimately powerless, however, to compel the departure of guests who choose not to leave. For this reason, visa officers must form an opinion about the visitor’s intentions independent of the hosts’ assurances.

Thank you for taking the time to write. I trust that this information is of assistance.

L. Legari

Ministerial Enquiries Division

Bangkokcanuck

May 2, 2010
Bangkapi, Thailand
Category........
Visa Office......
Singapore
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
08-02-2011
File Transfer...
17-03-2011
Med's Done....
07-12-2010
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
20-07-2011
VISA ISSUED...
08-08-2011
LANDED..........
03-11-2011
uccemebug said:
who told me "third world sweat shops are good for the kids in those places because it gets them off the streets."
I don't want to hi-jack the thread but as narrow minded as many people might think the average Canadian can be sometimes you would surprised what the reality of situation is.

I currently live in Thailand one of those places with the so called "third world sweat shops" and guess what for the most part they are NOTHING like the press in the West make them out to be, rarely is anybody there against their will (although of course it does happen) and for the most part YES the people that work there are HAPPY to have a real job and in most cases housing along with it that allows them to earn money to send back up country to their families.

One of the biggest things that I learned while living abroad is how biased and sensationalist Western Media is. I was here during the last Coup and had family in Canada phoning and emailing me asking about the "bloody coup" going on as reported in the media back home.

Truth was it was over in one night not a single shot fired and the bulk of the people were so happy the army stepped in they were in the streets handing flowers to the Soliders.

Neither account the media or my personal one captures the entirety of what happened but I can tell you right now that 80% or more of what I read in the Western (US & Canadian) media pertaining to what goes on in Thailand is totally false.

uccemebug

Mar 17, 2011
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Tokyo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-04-2011
AOR Received.
17-05-2011
File Transfer...
10-05-2011
Med's Done....
03-28-2011
Passport Req..
09-12-2011
VISA ISSUED...
10-05-2011
LANDED..........
10-05-20
Bangkokcanuck said:
One of the biggest things that I learned while living abroad is how biased and sensationalist Western Media is. I was here during the last Coup and had family in Canada phoning and emailing me asking about the "bloody coup" going on as reported in the media back home.

Truth was it was over in one night not a single shot fired and the bulk of the people were so happy the army stepped in they were in the streets handing flowers to the Soliders.

Neither account the media or my personal one captures the entirety of what happened but I can tell you right now that 80% or more of what I read in the Western (US & Canadian) media pertaining to what goes on in Thailand is totally false.
I agree that the western media thrive on unfounded hysteria. I've been in constant contact with friends in Tokyo (I left at the end of December) since the quake and ensuing nuclear reactor incident, and they've been reporting things that make it clear that the western media are way off base (both underreporting the constant aftershocks that have been rolling through the region and grossly overreporting the fear of the nuclear incident). But as far as "no shots fired" in Thailand, I happened to be corresponding with a half-Thai Canadian living in Bangkok at the time of that coup (we'd been discussing ways of cross-promoting our own 'media' work) and he recorded some scenes at the heart of the protests that make it very clear that it there was live ammo in use and people were dying.

http://www.thai-faq.com/thailand-political-protests/thai-army-open-fire-on-red-protesters/

canadianwoman

VIP Member
Nov 6, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
Accra, Ghana
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
30-01-2008
Interview........
05-05-2009
inlimbo said:
Immigrants to Canada are selected by a process that does not discriminate on the grounds of race, national or ethnic origin, colour, religion or sex. The principle of non-discrimination is part of the Immigration and Refugee Protection Act (IRPA) and is consistent with the Canadian Charter of Rights and Freedoms. It also reflects Canada's tradition of fairness and natural justice and our nation's multicultural character. There is no favouritism toward any geographic or ethnic group.
This is just official politically correct garbage. Obviously if spousal sponsorships take 4 months from one country, and 2 years from another, the government is discriminating on the grounds of at least national origin.

Obviously if a white Canadian man enters into an internet relationship with a white Russian woman for 3 or 4 months, goes to Russia for 2 weeks. comes home and sponsors her, and she's here in no time, but a white Canadian woman in a relationship for 11 years with a black man from Nigerian cannot even get the PR visa approved after 3 and a half years, the gov't is being both racist and sexist.

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

canadianwoman said:
This is just official politically correct garbage. Obviously if spousal sponsorships take 4 months from one country, and 2 years from another, the government is discriminating on the grounds of at least national origin.

Obviously if a white Canadian man enters into an internet relationship with a white Russian woman for 3 or 4 months, goes to Russia for 2 weeks. comes home and sponsors her, and she's here in no time, but a white Canadian woman in a relationship for 11 years with a black man from Nigerian cannot even get the PR visa approved after 3 and a half years, the gov't is being both racist and sexist.
Maybe you should look at the refusal rates?

Hong Kong 50%
Accra 47%
Mexico 37%
Bogota 28%
Nairobi 27%
KL 24%
Ahbu Dha 23%

Then look at the processing time for these office, which are among the highest. It takes time to prepare refusals.

uccemebug

Mar 17, 2011
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Tokyo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-04-2011
AOR Received.
17-05-2011
File Transfer...
10-05-2011
Med's Done....
03-28-2011
Passport Req..
09-12-2011
VISA ISSUED...
10-05-2011
LANDED..........
10-05-20
canadianwoman said:

I had an all-too-brief look through your posts here over the past year and a half .. brutal! I admire your tenacity and wish you all the best with whatever you do next. I can't blame you for your uncharitable opinion. Russia's young people seem at times to be the country's #2 export.

inlimbo

Star Member
Jun 15, 2010
Category........
Visa Office......
Accra, Ghana
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
05-2009
File Transfer...
18-06-2009
Interview........
02-06-10
canadianwoman said:

Agreed.

inlimbo

Star Member
Jun 15, 2010
Category........
Visa Office......
Accra, Ghana
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
05-2009
File Transfer...
18-06-2009
Interview........
02-06-10
PMM said:
Hi

Maybe you should look at the refusal rates?

Hong Kong 50%
Accra 47%
Mexico 37%
Bogota 28%
Nairobi 27%
KL 24%
Ahbu Dha 23%

If this logic is correct, I'm officially scared.

Then look at the processing time for these office, which are among the highest. It takes time to prepare refusals.