+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

I am living outside of Canada (UK), may I sponsor from outside of Canada?

faar23

Jul 13, 2016
Hello

I am a Canadian citizen and I want to sponsor my husband and my child that is 1.5 years old.

We are in the UK and I am a housewife...if yes what would be the requirements?

Any response would be very appreciated.

Thanks

TANMEX

Dec 14, 2015
Category........
Visa Office......
Mexico
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
faar23 said:
Hello

I am a Canadian citizen and I want to sponsor my husband and my child that is 1.5 years old.

We are in the UK and I am a housewife...if yes what would be the requirements?

Any response would be very appreciated.

Thanks
Hi ,
you can sponsor , you have to prove and show intent to return and live in Canada once PR granted to your husband , your child is Canadian no need to sponsor him/her .

faar23

Jul 13, 2016
No my child is not Canadian, she was born in Pakistan and I didn't get her citizenship, so I will have to sponsor her too. Can I sponsor my kid and husband both from outside Canada.

How do you prove your intent to live in Canada once you do get the PR etc?

Thanks

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
faar23 said:
No my child is not Canadian, she was born in Pakistan and I didn't get her citizenship, so I will have to sponsor her too. Can I sponsor my kid and husband both from outside Canada.
If you were born in Canada or became a naturalized Canadian before the child was born, then she is Canadian.

faar23

Jul 13, 2016
canuck_in_uk said:
If you were born in Canada or became a naturalized Canadian before the child was born, then she is Canadian.
I was a naturalized Canadian (still am) before she was born, but she was not born in Canada, she was born in Pakistan and she has a Pakistani passport. She also does not have a Canadian citizenship certificate, I will have to apply for that.

TANMEX

Dec 14, 2015
Category........
Visa Office......
Mexico
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
faar23 said:
I was a naturalized Canadian (still am) before she was born, but she was not born in Canada, she was born in Pakistan and she has a Pakistani passport. She also does not have a Canadian citizenship certificate, I will have to apply for that.
doesn't matter where she was born as long as one or both of her parents were Canadian before or at birth

faar23

Jul 13, 2016
TANMEX said:
doesn't matter where she was born as long as one or both of her parents were Canadian before or at birth
Yes I have read online on the cic website that she is a citizen because of me, but the issue is that she does not have a citizenship certificate of Canada. I will have to apply for that certificate and then she will be a citizen legally, but for now I have to sponsor her too.

screech339

VIP Member
Apr 2, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
Vegreville
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
14-08-2012
AOR Received.
20-11-2012
Med's Done....
18-07-2012
Interview........
17-06-2013
LANDED..........
17-06-2013
faar23 said:
Yes I have read online on the cic website that she is a citizen because of me, but the issue is that she does not have a citizenship certificate of Canada. I will have to apply for that certificate and then she will be a citizen legally, but for now I have to sponsor her too.
Your child is legally Canadian. It doesn't matter if child has not gotten citizenship certificate, your child is Canadian regardless. That being said, you don't sponsor your child. What you do is apply for proof of citizenship and apply for limited Canadian passport at same time.

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
faar23 said:
As said above, it doesn't matter that you don't have the certificate. The child is Canadian and therefore cannot be sponsored. If you include her in your husband's sponsorship app, you can expect the app to be delayed or even returned because of the mistake.

canadianwoman

VIP Member
Nov 6, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
Accra, Ghana
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
30-01-2008
Interview........
05-05-2009
Just to add to the above: the child is a Canadian citizen now (and apparently a Pakistani citizen as well). You do not have proof of that yet, but she is still a Canadian citizen. As such, you cannot sponsor her. You should apply for citizenship certificate as soon as possible. Once she has a Canadian passport, she can enter Canada with you.

faar23

Jul 13, 2016
canadianwoman said:
Just to add to the above: the child is a Canadian citizen now (and apparently a Pakistani citizen as well). You do not have proof of that yet, but she is still a Canadian citizen. As such, you cannot sponsor her. You should apply for citizenship certificate as soon as possible. Once she has a Canadian passport, she can enter Canada with you.
Okay, so I guess she is a Canadian citizen if everyone is saying that here. However we are both in UK and our visas will be expiring in early August 2016 (so in a month I guess), is that enough time to get her citizenship certificate and passport? If I can't get it within this month then how will she be able to enter Canada? As a visitor? Would the visitor visa even be granted to her knowing that her UK visa is near expiration. Also how do you get a limited passport? I was reading on the cic website that its only granted under special/urgent circumstances.

Also I have spoken to 3 lawyers (2 in Canada and 1 in UK) and none of them mentioned her citizenship. They all said that she would have to be sponsored just like my husband except that she won't get her own application, but her name will be added to my husband's application. In fact in the beginning of speaking to lawyers I asked if instead of sponsorship she should get the citizenship and the lawyer said no she will have to be sponsored.

Canadian_Irish_

Star Member
May 27, 2016
faar23 said:
Okay, so I guess she is a Canadian citizen if everyone is saying that here. However we are both in UK and our visas will be expiring in early August 2016 (so in a month I guess), is that enough time to get her citizenship certificate and passport? If I can't get it within this month then how will she be able to enter Canada? As a visitor? Would the visitor visa even be granted to her knowing that her UK visa is near expiration. Also how do you get a limited passport? I was reading on the cic website that its only granted under special/urgent circumstances.

Also I have spoken to 3 lawyers (2 in Canada and 1 in UK) and none of them mentioned her citizenship. They all said that she would have to be sponsored just like my husband except that she won't get her own application, but her name will be added to my husband's application. In fact in the beginning of speaking to lawyers I asked if instead of sponsorship she should get the citizenship and the lawyer said no she will have to be sponsored.
You should send the lawyers this link :)

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/helpcentre/answer.asp?qnum=365&top=5

Rob_TO

VIP Member
Nov 7, 2012
Toronto
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Seoul, Korea
App. Filed.......
13-07-2012
AOR Received.
18-08-2012
File Transfer...
21-08-2012
Med's Done....
Sent with App
Passport Req..
N/R - Exempt
VISA ISSUED...
30-10-2012
LANDED..........
16-11-2012
faar23 said:

The lawyers sound like they don't know what they're talking about.

Your daughter is a Canadian citizen so is not eligible to be sponsored for PR. Just because she doesn't currently have proof of her citizenship, doesn't mean she isn't a citizen. You should begin efforts to apply for proof of her citizenship, I've heard you can get some temporary documentation in order to fly to Canada as a citizen.

faar23

Jul 13, 2016
Alright everyone is saying she is a citizen and I should apply for her citizenship certificate and passport rightaway...I get that, I will, because I know she is not eligible to be sponsored. I can put in her citizenship certificate and passport application today and it can take months to arrive. I checked the processing time for the certificate and its 5 months. I have read I can get a passport quicker, a temporary one but only under certain/urgent circumstances (such as death etc) and I a sure they would want proof before they give that.

Now one detail I have left out because I didn't want to say it is that my daughter and I are both on a dependent visa and my husband is on a work permit. All 3 of our visas are expiring in August next month. The company has granted my husband a visa renewal of another 2 years so that they can fire him legally. If they hadn't granted it then it wouldn't be fair/legal because he wouldn't have had the time to go through the assessment period.

Husband will be losing his job soon. His company is doing a massive layoff of around 200 people and his entire department is getting wrapped up. In fact they have started the group assessments already and will do individual assessments in a month's time. Again if they didn't renew his visa, he wouldn't have been able to go through the assessments because it would expire before that process ad before he can be given a notice period.

It is very unlikely that they will keep him because a lot of more experienced and senior people are also on that list and I am sure they will take priority over him. He has been applying to other jobs outside and within his company but might not be able to find another one because no one is willing to give a work permit at this time because of the whole Brexit situation. That means that we don't have 5 months to wait for a passport or a certificate here.

The clause with his work permit is that even though it is renewed, once he is layed off, he only has 4 weeks to find another job. If he can't find another one, then he will have to leave the country because he is not working and he is on a work permit.

so what all this means is that if he doesn't find another job willing to give him a work permit then we can all only stay here til September (even with the 2 year visas stamped on our passports because he won't be working).

What I am saying here is that I don't have 5 months to wait for her certifcate/passport. I know I can't sponsor her because she is my daughter, but how can I travel to Canada with her before her certificate/passport arrives. On a visitor visa?

CDNPR2014

VIP Member
Mar 1, 2016
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
faar23 said:
What I am saying here is that I don't have 5 months to wait for her certifcate/passport. I know I can't sponsor her because she is my daughter, but how can I travel to Canada with her before her certificate/passport arrives. On a visitor visa?
No, i doubt she can get a visitor's visa with her pakistani passport. since she is a canadian citizen and is not eligible for one. even if you try to get one on her pakistani passport, i would think it would be very difficult to get and they will probably reject the application since she is technically a canadian citizen.

even though the suggested processing time for her passport/citizenship certificate says 5 months, many people report receiving it much quicker. i would imagine your visas running out where you are would qualify for special circumstances for needing it expedited. Have you tried seeking out whether you in fact do qualify for temporary documentation? don't just assume you don't because you don't think you do. let the agency that processes this documentation tell you that.

also, don't be so sure the company is going to keep "a lot of more experienced and senior people". Generally, when it comes to layoffs, employees are seen only in numbers. so they tend to get rid of the "more expensive" people first unless they have so very specific skill no one else has.

again, as everyone is suggesting your options right now are to wait for your daughter's canadian passport or call which ever agency handles temporary documentation/seek help at your local Canadian embassy about your issue to see if you qualify for expedited service if you have to leave in a short period of time. does the UK not allow you to apply to switch your status to visitor if your work visa becomes invalid like someone can in Canada?