+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

How to Get Canadian Driving License -for Newcomers

Vakta

May 4, 2011
Hi there,I have just got driving licence on 24th August,2011.I know I m too late for it.But I want to know that is it enough from here or do I need to get international driving licence?Will it be helpful in Canada?

hassanbukhari

Star Member
Oct 9, 2010
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Arabic letter is more than enough. When you came here get it translated from ATIO and submit it to Drivers test centre.

montu said:
HI QORAX,

AM FROM OMAN AND WE GET ARABIC LETTER ONLY HERE..CAN I GET MY OMANI d/L ATTEASTED FR INDIAN EMBASSY ,WILLIT BE SUFFICIENT? OR I HAVE TO GET ARABIC LETTER ONLY?

REGARDS

hassanbukhari

Star Member
Oct 9, 2010
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Vakta said:
Hi there,I have just got driving licence on 24th August,2011.I know I m too late for it.But I want to know that is it enough from here or do I need to get international driving licence?Will it be helpful in Canada?
As per my experience International Driving license has no value here. Since you don't have required experience, you have go through regular waiting period.

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Vakta said:
In my opinion, an international driving license isn't very helpful as it will only allow you to drive longer on your foreign license if you are in Canada temporarily, for example as a student. If you are moving to Canada, you are generally required to get yourself a Canadian license within 60 to 90 days depending on the province.

In order to get a Canadian license, depending on the province, you need an English or French translation of your license if it isn't in English or French already. In some provinces, you may be able to use an international licence instead of a translation. In some provinces (Ontario) you need a drivers abstract from a driving authority in your home country.

In Ontario, you would only be able to get a learners permit if you have a brand new license. They require a 12 month waiting period before you can take the road test to get a probationary license or if you go to an approved driving school, this may be shortened to 8 months. In that light, if you go to Ontario, the first possible date you could get a probationary license is April 24th 2012. If you go to Alberta, even with your brand new license, you would be allowed to take a road test to get a probationary license right away. If you are going to some other province, you'd have to look up what their regulations are.

can_usa_97

May 22, 2010
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
07/13/2010
AOR Received.
09/07/2010 in process 9/2
File Transfer...
08/12/2010
Med's Request
Rcv'd dtd 10/18
Med's Done....
06/22/2010
Interview........
Waived dtd 10/18
Passport Req..
11/04/2010
VISA ISSUED...
11/16/2010
LANDED..........
06/18/2011
can_usa_97 said:
My husband just ran into a snag when trying to get his, we did get his driver history here in the US before he left. However, when he moved here from Canada in 1997 and obtained his drivers license here, the DMV office input that he moved from California, not Canada. So now Canada is saying there is a mistake (there is, of course) and will only give him a G2 license until it is fixed or he retakes the tests - then he can have a G license.

I don't expect the DMV to fix something from 14 years ago, but he is going to call tomorrow and hope, or take the test.
Shock! The DMV removed it and he was able to get a G license today, yippee!

Mezo2009

Champion Member
Jan 17, 2011
Toronto
Visa Office......
London
LANDED..........
Oct 2011
Hi Leon,

Well, this is fair enough.

However, how long it takes to get Ontario G1/2 in case all papers are in order. I mean, is it a week job to file an app, do eye test, take signal test...etc, or there is some que and this takes weeks/months?

Any clue from members who have done this recently?

Cheers

Leon said:
In my opinion, an international driving license isn't very helpful as it will only allow you to drive longer on your foreign license if you are in Canada temporarily, for example as a student. If you are moving to Canada, you are generally required to get yourself a Canadian license within 60 to 90 days depending on the province.

In order to get a Canadian license, depending on the province, you need an English or French translation of your license if it isn't in English or French already. In some provinces, you may be able to use an international licence instead of a translation. In some provinces (Ontario) you need a drivers abstract from a driving authority in your home country.

In Ontario, you would only be able to get a learners permit if you have a brand new license. They require a 12 month waiting period before you can take the road test to get a probationary license or if you go to an approved driving school, this may be shortened to 8 months. In that light, if you go to Ontario, the first possible date you could get a probationary license is April 24th 2012. If you go to Alberta, even with your brand new license, you would be allowed to take a road test to get a probationary license right away. If you are going to some other province, you'd have to look up what their regulations are.

hassanbukhari

Star Member
Oct 9, 2010
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Mezo2009 said:
Hi Leon,

Well, this is fair enough.

However, how long it takes to get Ontario G1/2 in case all papers are in order. I mean, is it a week job to file an app, do eye test, take signal test...etc, or there is some que and this takes weeks/months?

Any clue from members who have done this recently?

Cheers
It wont take long and in one visit you could finish registration and G1 if you come prepared.

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
G1 is however a learners permit and is useless if you want to be able to drive as it requires you to have another fully licensed person in the car with you at all times. In ON, you must have had at least 12 months driving experience to be allowed the road test to go to G2.

montu

Jun 24, 2011
toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
london``
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
july2010
Doc's Request.
8thjuly2010
AOR Received.
22-11-2010
IELTS Request
àt the time of application
File Transfer...
22-11-2010 to lon vo
Med's Request
21-3-2011
Med's Done....
22-6-2011
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
10-08-2011
VISA ISSUED...
waiting
LANDED..........
in oct 2011
DEAR FRIENDS,

I am going to my home town today -chandigarh(punjab) for 3 days and wish to get the letter of authentication from D/L authorities there in chd as i hold indian D/l for last 10yrs.my quest is-

will that help in canada as india is rt hand driving
from where and how to get that in chandigarh..

thanks..

Vakta

May 4, 2011
hassanbukhari said:
As per my experience International Driving license has no value here. Since you don't have required experience, you have go through regular waiting period.
Thanks Hassanbukhari..

Vakta

May 4, 2011
Leon said:

Thanks Leon for the valuable information

mayankpt

Aug 1, 2011
Category........
Visa Office......
NDVO
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
18 nov 2011
AOR Received.
PER 3 FEB 2012
IELTS Request
sent with the application
File Transfer...
21 feb 2012
Med's Request
29 march 2012
Med's Done....
9 april 2012, Medicals sent on 10 april
Passport Req..
29 March,2012
hello leon..
this is shweta... new to this particular forum..
while going thru it i read ur comments and replies and found that u can solve my prblms.
leon..i am a physiotherapist from india...am running my clinic with my husband who too is a physiotherapist.we have already started immigration process through a consultancy company...they have told if you get 16 points in ielts u can score 76 points and that is enuff to have a good profile..
i want to ask you is the job opportunity in canada too low(it seems so after going thru this forum)
...what have we plaaned that we will be doing survival jobs and meanwhile will search jobs in our field and get our credantials done!!!
please suggest somthing...are survival jobs too difficult to find!!!!
sometimes ot seems that we have taken a wrong decision..
we need guidance!!
help anyone!!
shweta

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
I have no idea if there is a lot of work for physiotherapist but I can tell you that I went to one when I injured my hand and a year later when I injured my back I went again and he had then hired more people so for him I am sure it was going well. I have never had a problem getting a survival job. I had a friend who moved to Edmonton who had a very bad CV, never had to work a real job in her life, age 30 already and I told her to keep applying for all kinds of things until she would get something. At first she got a call centre but hated it and only worked there 2 days. Then she found a job as a waitress and a bit later, an evening job in a hotel reception. The hotel reception became full time so she stopped waitressing. Then she got an even better job in a department store. Just goes to show what happens if you keep trying.

mayankpt

Aug 1, 2011
Category........
Visa Office......
NDVO
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
18 nov 2011
AOR Received.
PER 3 FEB 2012
IELTS Request
sent with the application
File Transfer...
21 feb 2012
Med's Request
29 march 2012
Med's Done....
9 april 2012, Medicals sent on 10 april
Passport Req..
29 March,2012
Thanks a lot for so quick reply..
hope will get guidance throughout
regards
shweta

STILLHOPE

Champion Member
Feb 2, 2011
Category........
Visa Office......
PARIS
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
18/12/2010
Doc's Request.
not yet
Nomination.....
CSQ RECEIVED ON 18-08-2011
AOR Received.
11/04/2011
File Transfer...
20/10/2011
Med's Request
07/11/2011
Med's Done....
Nov 2011
Interview........
18- 08-2011
Passport Req..
14th feb ( Valentines day )
VISA ISSUED...
feb 2012
LANDED..........
landing 10th june in montreal
22g go to sector 17 to get your letter.

And u r going to chd just for three days its not fair.

montu said:
DEAR FRIENDS,

I am going to my home town today -chandigarh(punjab) for 3 days and wish to get the letter of authentication from D/L authorities there in chd as i hold indian D/l for last 10yrs.my quest is-

will that help in canada as india is rt hand driving
from where and how to get that in chandigarh..

thanks..