+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

How DUI will affect permanent residency.

forevermore76

May 19, 2024
As per CHATGPT

Impact of the Conviction: Since your plea deal includes a criminal record but not imprisonment, it doesn’t automatically trigger removal proceedings based solely on the sentence. However, the conviction itself can still lead to a review by immigration authorities, who may initiate deportation proceedings based on the nature of the crime.
Once again, conviction will make you inadmissible. Removal order is guaranteed and once you go down the route of appeals and all that you are just buying time but the path for your removal from Canada starts right with conviction and there's no return unless you get the record expunged after waiting for the mandatory wait period.

Get a BETTER attorney, trust me!

The use of the word “convicted” in section 36 of IRPA means a conviction that has not
been expunged.

Section 36(3)(b) of IRPA provides that inadmissibility on the grounds of serious
criminality or criminality may not be based on a conviction in respect of which there has been a
final determination of acquittal, for example, on appeal to a higher court.

If a person pleads guilty to, or is found guilty of, an offence in Canada and is granted a
conditional or absolute discharge, this will not constitute a conviction for the purposes of
IRPA.

Section 730(3) of the Criminal Code, which establishes the effect of conditional and
absolute discharges, provides that, in such cases as are specified, “the offender shall be deemed
not to have been convicted of the offence”, subject to certain exceptions.

Section 36(3)(b) of IRPA provides that inadmissibility on the grounds of serious
criminality or criminality may not be based on a conviction in respect of which a pardon has
been granted, and that pardon has not ceased to have effect or been revoked under the Criminal
Records Act.

Section 3 of the Criminal Records Act provides that a person who has been
convicted of an offence under an Act of Parliament or a regulation made under an Act of
Parliament can apply to the National Parole Board for a pardon of that offence.

foodie69

VIP Member
Dec 18, 2015
hired a new attorney (some expensive law firm)

so bought some more time for me and hoping if they can beat this charge.
Why? Who in his right mind is chilling in the car with alcohol or weed? Driving or not, should have stayed home and do it there.

Mr Blue

May 28, 2024
Thank you everyone!!!!! I am so glad that I posted here and you guys recommended me to not accept the conviction and get a better attorney!!!

I changed my lawyer and the crown said may be he’ll get me Dangerous driving plea deal!

Crown just wants a letter stating that DUI charges might have immigration consequences and I won’t be able to apply for citizenship.

Ponga

VIP Member
Oct 22, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Thank you everyone!!!!! I am so glad that I posted here and you guys recommended me to not accept the conviction and get a better attorney!!!

I changed my lawyer and the crown said may be he’ll get me Dangerous driving plea deal!

Crown just wants a letter stating that DUI charges might have immigration consequences and I won’t be able to apply for citizenship.
The change in the law in 2018 makes dangerous driving more serious. Better ask your new lawyer about the following to make sure you will NOT be inadmissible to Canada (even though you are in Canada):

https://www.cicnews.com/2023/10/common-offenses-that-make-you-inadmissible-to-canada-1040485.html

Dangerous driving is another analogous offense that results in inadmissibility. In fact, any serious driving offence has the potential of damaging an individual’s ability to enter the country, regardless of if the individual plans on driving while in Canada.

---
https://www.torontodefencelawyers.com/dangerous-driving-vs-careless-driving/

Copingwithlife

VIP Member
Jul 29, 2018
Earth

You might want to become familiar with this

https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/immigrate-canada/inadmissibility/overcome-criminal-convictions.html

Under Canada’s immigration law, if you have committed or been convicted of a crime, you may not be allowed into Canada. In other words, you may be “criminally inadmissible.”

This includes both minor and serious crimes, such as:

theft,
assault,
manslaughter,
dangerous driving,

You always wonder what’s going thru peoples heads when they do things in a country where they don’t have the right to stay

Mr Blue

May 28, 2024
This criminal lawyer clearly says I will not address any immigration consequences. You need to hire immigration lawyer to answer those questions.

According to them dangerous driving is still better than dui.

but for me it makes no difference, either charges are leading to in admissibility.

Mr Blue

May 28, 2024
Plea deal I am getting is dangerous driving with conditional discharge.

will this help me to save my PR status?

Please help!

Mr Blue

May 28, 2024
Last year, I was charged with a DUI, and recently I have been offered a plea deal for dangerous driving with a conditional discharge. I have not yet accepted this plea deal, and I would appreciate your advice on the following questions:

1. Inadmissibility Concerns: If I accept the plea deal for dangerous driving with a conditional discharge, will this trigger any inadmissibility issues under Canadian immigration law?
2. Spousal Sponsorship Application: Can I proceed with applying for spousal sponsorship for my wife, who is currently in India? Would you recommend applying before the final outcome of my case, or is it better to wait?
3. Travel and Reentry to Canada: Will I be able to travel to India or the United States and reenter Canada while my legal case is pending or after accepting the plea deal?
4. Renewal of PR Card and Citizenship Application: Will I be able to renew my PR card or apply for Canadian citizenship after a year if I accept the plea deal?