+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

How DUI will affect permanent residency.

Ponga

VIP Member
Oct 22, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Last year, I was charged with a DUI, and recently I have been offered a plea deal for dangerous driving with a conditional discharge. I have not yet accepted this plea deal, and I would appreciate your advice on the following questions:

1. Inadmissibility Concerns: If I accept the plea deal for dangerous driving with a conditional discharge, will this trigger any inadmissibility issues under Canadian immigration law?
2. Spousal Sponsorship Application: Can I proceed with applying for spousal sponsorship for my wife, who is currently in India? Would you recommend applying before the final outcome of my case, or is it better to wait?
3. Travel and Reentry to Canada: Will I be able to travel to India or the United States and reenter Canada while my legal case is pending or after accepting the plea deal?
4. Renewal of PR Card and Citizenship Application: Will I be able to renew my PR card or apply for Canadian citizenship after a year if I accept the plea deal?
You've been asking this question in multiple posts and in multiple forums for over 3 months. What more are you hoping to glean?

1. Hire a lawyer.
2. Ditto
3. Ditto
4. Ditto

The conditional discharge would only be helpful (possibly) AFTER the `conditions' of the discharge have been met/satisfied. For example, if you have to pay a hefty fine and are put on probation, I would think that you would be inadmissible up to the point when your conditions have been met.