+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

How difficult/easy is it for a PR candidate to find a Software Engineering job?

anad7

Feb 12, 2017
vensak said:
Thanks for explanation.
In that case he would be heading for even more bitter experience, where he would be regarded as an average guy (a top university does not impress anybody in Canada, what they need to see is how good is your work).
I have seen such thread few months back when somebody decided to go back to India after discovering a life of a middle class in Canada (DIY style).
This is what I was worried about, thanks for explaining this, I will not apply and wait for the software industry there to evolve. I definitely do not want anything subpar when it comes to work experience.

anad7

Feb 12, 2017
softwaretesting said:
I agree with you to some extent. However, I saw a comment on this forum that big IT companies like Google may increase their presence in Canada because of the latest challenges in US. I suggest him to apply for PR, however should shift only if he gets job with very good package.
Yes I agree with you, I would rather wait than go back 6 years in my career. Thanks for the answer it helped me make my decision.

abhijeetwadhwa

Jan 17, 2017
Hello anad7,

If it helps, what everyone is speaking about is salary you get when you are a full time employee of a company. You can get better pay (and have to pay lesser taxes) by doing contract jobs. There are arguments that there is implicit cost (cost of leaves, cost of insurance etc) attached to contracting jobs which we do not consider while making decision but to me, when strictly speaking about compensation, benefits far outweighs the implied cost.

Having said that, Job market for software engineers does not have as many option as we in India and it depends on the skill set you have and some skills are in more demand than others but I know for sure that if you are good in what you do you should not have difficulties in finding any job.

A friend of mine is working a Java Developer and is getting CAD$90 an hour in GTA another friend of mine is an Automation Architect and is making CAD$75 an hour in GTA. I know several people making more that CAD$100k a year. I also have friends who make CAD$35 an hour in desi outsourcing companies.

In my opinion, making money is not a problem but making ends meet in what you make is really tough. I have no doubt that you will get a job to your satisfaction but you will not be able to save any where close to what you save in India. (PS: All my contacts are based on GTA and therefore it is my only location for reference)

I am also a software engineer in India and I was facing a similar dilemma but I think I have nothing to loose, in case I can not make a decent living I can always return back and consider my experience as a Vacation :)

Cheers!!

TanakaM

VIP Member
Dec 29, 2016
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
AOR Received.
14-04-17
Aal_ said:
if you are traveling to continue your career where you left off, don't. If you are traveling for a better life, do.
I like this. great advice.
+1

softwaretesting

Champion Member
Apr 7, 2013
Category........
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..

anad7

Feb 12, 2017
abhijeetwadhwa said:
Hello anad7,

If it helps, what everyone is speaking about is salary you get when you are a full time employee of a company. You can get better pay (and have to pay lesser taxes) by doing contract jobs. There are arguments that there is implicit cost (cost of leaves, cost of insurance etc) attached to contracting jobs which we do not consider while making decision but to me, when strictly speaking about compensation, benefits far outweighs the implied cost.

Having said that, Job market for software engineers does not have as many option as we in India and it depends on the skill set you have and some skills are in more demand than others but I know for sure that if you are good in what you do you should not have difficulties in finding any job.

A friend of mine is working a Java Developer and is getting CAD$90 an hour in GTA another friend of mine is an Automation Architect and is making CAD$75 an hour in GTA. I know several people making more that CAD$100k a year. I also have friends who make CAD$35 an hour in desi outsourcing companies.

In my opinion, making money is not a problem but making ends meet in what you make is really tough. I have no doubt that you will get a job to your satisfaction but you will not be able to save any where close to what you save in India. (PS: All my contacts are based on GTA and therefore it is my only location for reference)

I am also a software engineer in India and I was facing a similar dilemma but I think I have nothing to loose, in case I can not make a decent living I can always return back and consider my experience as a Vacation :)

Cheers!!
Thanks @abhijeetwadhwa

This answer is what I was really looking for, its a relief to learn that you could earn more by contracting, I also found this to be true in other western countries, I personally would want a combination of the two.

The thing that worries me right now is that there aren't many companies in Canada and there are many good engineers available for the jobs, maybe that is driving down the wages.

If there were a many companies in the area trying to build amazing things (like in Silicon Valley) then they would compete for talent and our wages would increase in that regard; but right now it's a bland situation, I imagine that this would improve in the future, I think I'll give the industry another 2-3 years before considering moving there for good.