+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Help me choose the best sponsorship type for my common-law partner

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
Getting married would be a big boost, but make sure you have someone with you to take pictures. I'm sure you won't be able to take pictures inside the courthouse, but pictures outside. And have a party afterwards, with lots of pictures with both of you with the guests. IRCC is big on pictures like that. Other ideas for pictures....if you have social media like FBook, and you post about your relationship such as your marriage, take a screenshot.
While overall it is a good idea to have pictures from the wedding etc, that is far more important for cases where the couple did not live together / know each other long before marrying. Especially important for arranged marriages.

For couples who have some records of living together (even if weak evidence to meet common law test), photos and records of other relationship events, etc., photo records from the marriage may be just a minor factor. Also if from cultures where 'secular' marriages (eg courthouse) are common.

Don't get me wrong - yes, have some photo evidence. But a couple living together for a couple years probalby doesn't need a big wedding party. (My spouse and I didn't, but we had other events from the years together, and children, before the marriage).

They will be far more picky about wedding and all that for couples that met online and haven't spent much time together.