+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Getting back to Canada after travelling to India on an Indian passport

rmp0930

Star Member
Jul 24, 2023
Hi Bro can you help me what documents you have uploaded for exit permit on Frro and when should i surrender my passport as i am going in oct and coming back in November
If you reply will great help
Hi @Bunny2590 were you able to travel India on Indian passport after obtaining Canadian passport? Can you please share updates for someone like me who is planning to travel to India on that approach soon? TIA

PratikD

Star Member
Feb 13, 2019
@PratikD Were you able to get any updates? Can you please let us know? TIA
Yes, you can surrender passport at RPO. You will get the surrender certificate on the same day. Using the surrender certificate, you can apply for exit permit from FRRO on your Canadian passport.

inandhana

Jul 27, 2023
Yes. I am travelling by road and not by flight.

Will my Canadian citizenship certificate is enough to prove my citizenship?
While going in states and also while coming in canada?
Also I have a receipt from service canada that I’ve applied for my Canadian passport too.
Should I keep an other documents?

please advice. Really really thank Full for your suggestions.
@Arjunp Hi im also in similar situation can i know how was your experience ?

Nov 20, 2023
Hello

@Shiv9122 and @vic2015

I am also in similar situation. I came to India on Indian passport as Indian citizen then last month I got Oath invitation. Yes i did Oath outside Canada because they approved my request for outside oath. I applied for Canadian Passport in Chandigarh. now i am waiting for Canadian passport.

I contacted Amritsar FRRO regarding exit. They told me to surrender Indian passport and then apply for exit permit. I went to Amritsar RPO for surrender certificate but they did not issue me surrender certificate. they are saying we need affidavit with all travel history and when i got citizenship plus renunciation certificate for MEA. Renunciation certificate is very hard as process is u have to apply online and then visit DC for that. takes more then 60 days and i dont have that much time here in India.

so my questions is @vic2015

1. did RPO dehli ask you anything like this?
2. what are my options to travel back to Canada as i do have US visa too on indian passport plus its also not more than 3 months

Please if anyone can help
Hi, What was the outcome, Did you talk to Amritsar RPO? There is an option available on the passport Seva website to get a surrender certificate.

Dec 19, 2023
@vic2015 & @PratikD, I have submitted my exit permit application at FRRO Delhi after obtaining surrender certificate from RPO. They called me today to check all my original documents. As per them they now have all the required docs. My return flight to Canada is on 29th Dec. Based on your experience, can I expect the exit permit before 29th Dec? Is there anything I can do to expedite the process?

Thanks for sharing all your experiences. This was helpful.

somak2001

Mar 13, 2017
Canada
@vic2015 & @PratikD, I have submitted my exit permit application at FRRO Delhi after obtaining surrender certificate from RPO. They called me today to check all my original documents. As per them they now have all the required docs. My return flight to Canada is on 29th Dec. Based on your experience, can I expect the exit permit before 29th Dec? Is there anything I can do to expedite the process?

Thanks for sharing all your experiences. This was helpful.
Hey, were did u surrender your Indian passport? Which RPO Office, I mean? Did u get ur Indian passport back after cancellation or they kept it?

Dec 19, 2023
@somak2001, I surrendered at RPO Delhi Bikaji Cama Place. They just put a cancelled stamp on the front and back and gave me the passport along with surrender certificate. The process is pretty straightforward.

Reactions: somak2001
Dec 19, 2023
Thank you so much, Pallav. Can you please mention the documents that were needed and the processing time for it?
For the online application, you don’t need to upload any documents. However you’ll need the below documents in original and copies when you visit the RPO office - Online application printout, Indian passport with copies of all stamp and visa pages, Foreign passport (in my case it was Canada passport), Citizenship certificate, Aadhar card, photos, a written application to RPO requesting passport surrender. You can walk-in into the RPO office after you have submitted your online application. I would recommend reaching in the morning, otherwise, you will have to wait during the lunch break. I got my surrender certificate the same day.

Reactions: somak2001

Chichu456

Star Member
May 5, 2016
Canada
Category........
CEC
Visa Office......
Vancour
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
02-12-2019
AOR Received.
02-12-1991
Med's Request
07-07-2020
Med's Done....
23-07-2020
VISA ISSUED...
08-01-2021
LANDED..........
18-09-2016
Anyone who have submitted the passport surrendering application in RPO Trivandrum, Kerala?

Kaurpahwa

May 3, 2024
I have a similar situation. My oath is on May9th and I have plans to india on june 20.
If i want to submit my Indian passport. Can i do it at any RPO ? Or it has to be nearest to my address on Indian passport?