+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Getting back to Canada after travelling to India on an Indian passport

pratikpatel88

Feb 12, 2018
@Bunny2590
@Srikanth99
I'm in the same boat....Have plans to visit India in Nov (tickets and everything booked), Not sure what to do?
I would appreciate if you would put updates here on which approach are you taking for the travel

PratikD

Star Member
Feb 13, 2019
If we surrender passport in India at RPO, do we get the surrender certificate immediately on the same day?

Arjunp

Jul 6, 2020
Urgent !!! Emergency !!!

I have a valid US visa with Indian passport.

I am now Canadian citizen. (got it on 31st Aug - 23) I have my citizenship certificate.

I have applied my Canadian passport but haven’t received it yet.

Can I travel to US with Indian passport (Have US visa) and with my Canadian citizenship certificate?
Will there be any problem to go and come back?
It’s an emergency.
Please advice.

forw.jane

VIP Member
Apr 29, 2019
Urgent !!! Emergency !!!

I am now Canadian citizen. (got it on 31st Aug - 23) I have my citizenship certificate.

Can I travel to US with Indian passport (Have US visa) and with my Canadian citizenship certificate?
It’s an emergency.
Please advice.
By road?

Reactions: Arjunp

abbas.pasha

VIP Member
Sep 17, 2016
Urgent !!! Emergency !!!

It’s an emergency.
Please advice.
By road you can come back across the border into Canada, but by flight without Canadian passport you will not be allowed to board the return flight to Canada

Reactions: Arjunp

Arjunp

Jul 6, 2020
Yes. I am travelling by road and not by flight.

Will my Canadian citizenship certificate is enough to prove my citizenship?
While going in states and also while coming in canada?
Also I have a receipt from service canada that I’ve applied for my Canadian passport too.
Should I keep an other documents?

please advice. Really really thank Full for your suggestions.

Reactions: inandhana

PratikD

Star Member
Feb 13, 2019
Day would be tough but you can take help of passport agent to get it quickly.
Thank you. I asked because in this video, the person says you get the surrender certificate immediately -

I am fine if it takes longer, but just want to know the normal processing time. I am considering surrendering my passport in India and then applying for exit permit. I'll be in India for one month. I'm trying to figure out if getting surrender certificate and exit permit is possible within a month. I've been trying to contact the local regional passport office in India, but God only if they picked up the phone or replied to emails. Anyhow, I'll keep trying as RPO will be able to answer the exact timeline.

forw.jane

VIP Member
Apr 29, 2019
Thank you. I asked because in this video, the person says you get the surrender certificate immediately -

I am fine if it takes longer, but just want to know the normal processing time. I am considering surrendering my passport in India and then applying for exit permit. I'll be in India for one month. I'm trying to figure out if getting surrender certificate and exit permit is possible within a month. I've been trying to contact the local regional passport office in India, but God only if they picked up the phone or replied to emails. Anyhow, I'll keep trying as RPO will be able to answer the exact timeline.
Generally outside every RPO there are agents office who do tatkal and all types of passport services. Do you have relatives and friends who can check the surrender process from them, at the RPO you trying to get your surrender certificate from. Once you get a contact they normally are pretty active on whatsapp too. Calling and getting an answer from RPO will be tough. Also email and check the FRRO you planning to apply for exit permit about the time and the process - https://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/threads/getting-back-to-canada-after-travelling-to-india-on-an-indian-passport.796707/post-10540385

It should not happen that at the nth hour they ask for a document which would take a lot of time to get.

Video is not a first person account, so tough to trust.

PratikD

Star Member
Feb 13, 2019
Generally outside every RPO there are agents office who do tatkal and all types of passport services. Do you have relatives and friends who can check the surrender process from them, at the RPO you trying to get your surrender certificate from. Once you get a contact they normally are pretty active on whatsapp too. Calling and getting an answer from RPO will be tough. Also email and check the FRRO you planning to apply for exit permit about the time and the process - https://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/threads/getting-back-to-canada-after-travelling-to-india-on-an-indian-passport.796707/post-10540385

It should not happen that at the nth hour they ask for a document which would take a lot of time to get.

Video is not a first person account, so tough to trust.
Thank you. I am trying to find someone who can help with RPO services. I have emailed RPO and FRRO. I am waiting to hear back. I'll update once I get a response.

Seemacm

Oct 4, 2023
Why did you go to Canadian embassy in this case ? Can you please explain if any letter is required from Canadian embassy aswell while returning to Canada ?

gimli

Jan 9, 2016
After getting the surrender certificate from the RPO, the FRRO took a week to give me the the exit permit. Tell the FRRO officer, if he contacts you that you can come in, in person to expedite the process. (It's probably not necessary and the FRRO website says that but they might give you exit permit on the spot).

Make sure you keep multiple copies of the passport before you surrender it because they kept my passport after surrender. So I don't have the actual passport to submit in the OCI card application.

I just want to add that it's a shame that we had to surrender our Indian passports. I felt really bad about it.
Hi @vic2015 Did you get your passport back after you surrendered it? Were you able to get OCI in absence of surrendered passport? I haven’t received any response from Ahmedabad FRRO after I sent them email one week ago.

Thanks

forw.jane

VIP Member
Apr 29, 2019
Reactions: gimli