+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

FSW WORLDWIDE

tizzyboi

Star Member
Aug 20, 2020
I think that it is not entirely correct to say that. Most people are saying that there are jobs cuts, lay-offs, salary cuts etc are miasing one point. It is only happening in a specific sectors ;) high skilled jobs such us IT, Health Care etc. Just gained more momentum and need more workers which are hard to find on the market ;)
exactly... that's why IRCC wants to limit/prioritize the EE program to few NOCs... this implies that the current intake/pool of FSW people do not actually meet the labor market needs... the current pool is perhaps full of HR generalists, general admin managers, accountants etc that they don't need as much as IT, healthcare people

tizzyboi

Star Member
Aug 20, 2020
Maybe. Thing is, for there to be an economic recovery, which means more money flowing into Canada than usual, there must be a considerably increased interest in Canadian schools. I don't know what JT's advisors are telling him but shutting down outland routes won't explode study permit apps. Yes there'd be an increase, but it wouldn't be enough to call it recovery. Think about the money Canada would lose from outlanders turning away from Canada.

Also check out some news about how Canada needs more mid-senior or senior professionals and managers. It's not all about having 20 year old kids with zero experience but just a Canadian degree in Canada. Immigration is a complex need.
pausing outland is already making a ton of people choose the study route.. 54% of canada's GDP comes from pvt consumption.. what better way to boost private consumption in the short term(which is needed now for covid recovery not a longterm one) than brining in new students, who not only will pay tuition fees but also the living expenses like an outlander. Somebody must have done the math and shown JT how the NPV of a foreign student is higher than an Outlander

dxdroid

Champion Member
Jun 21, 2021
exactly... that's why IRCC wants to limit/prioritize the EE program to few NOCs... this implies that the current intake/pool of FSW people do not actually meet the labor market needs... the current pool is perhaps full of HR generalists, general admin managers, accountants etc that they don't need as much as IT, healthcare people
There is a good possibility with that. Me and my gf were looking on a specific paths for either IT or healthcare. Apart of PNP there is non. We have missed two draws for Ontatio as our score was too high. We are waiting with 474 where Onntario draws cut-off was at 467

Reactions: tizzyboi

Psyoptica

Champion Member
Feb 20, 2020
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
London
NOC Code......
AOR Received.
16-04-2020
pausing outland is already making a ton of people choose the study route.. 54% of canada's GDP comes from pvt consumption.. what better way to boost private consumption in the short term(which is needed now for covid recovery not a longterm one) than brining in new students, who not only will pay tuition fees but also the living expenses like an outlander. Somebody must have done the math and shown JT how the NPV of a foreign student is higher than an Outlander
The tuition fees they pay goes to the university. The government gets a very small portion of it. Also, students are good for cheap labour and can be abused in the Canadian system but they are more expensive to train and develop since they will have no experience after they graduate.

Reactions: Jaycejay
D

Deleted member 1050918

pausing outland is already making a ton of people choose the study route..
Not really. As I said, the increase in interest in study path must be significant for the govt to end up with a profit after losing all the gains from FSW. You're stressed and probably won't listen to reason but let me remind you FSW is a decade old program. It's not like the government tested in 2019 and didn't like it.

Reactions: Haku13
D

Deleted member 1050918

The tuition fees they pay goes to the university. The government gets a very small portion of it. Also, students are good for cheap labour and can be abused in the Canadian system but they are more expensive to train and develop since they will have no experience after they graduate.
What exhausts me is trying to explain outlanders how different the university/study situation in Canada is than what they think it is lol. Every week some stressed FSW will have a revelation and come post here about how profitable it would be to shut down outland immigration for Canada.

• Haha
Reactions: Jaycejay

seadrag0n

Champion Member
Mar 6, 2018
Not really. As I said, the increase in interest in study path must be significant for the govt to end up with a profit after losing all the gains from FSW. You're stressed and probably won't listen to reason but let me remind you FSW is a decade old program. It's not like the government tested in 2019 and didn't like it.
Not sure how much of this is true. Check the student's section of this forum, it's always raining refusals there.

D

Deleted member 1050918

Not sure how much of this is true. Check the student's section of this forum, it's always raining refusals there.
What does it have to do with anything? It's been said IRCC has been refusing some apps if the student has the ability to continue online. Doesn't indicate anything more than that.

You guys forget that turning a student to a PR takes at least 3 years. So if they decide shutting down FSW and kissing those professionals goodbye, it'll take Canada 3 years to get what? Fresh grads with zero experience. I understand you're stressed but, apologies for my wording, it is dumb to think Canada would find more benefit in shutting down outland options. Canada is not Aus, Nz, US, UK, or Germany.

tizzyboi

Star Member
Aug 20, 2020
let's not confuse govt with the economy.. money injected into the economy doesn't have to go to the govt.. also there is currently shortage of temporary low skilled/part-time workers in canada ... but true there's potential for the low skilled labors to be abused if the supply goes too high.

https://globalnews.ca/news/8008835/salaries-labour-shortages-canada/

Haku13

Star Member
Aug 8, 2021
Cannot compare students and skilled workers, and none of them can substitute the other one. Both are essential for the economy and cannot be removed. Countries need foreign students, as well as skilled workers from abroad, as each of them satisfy different needs. Also as our Kangaroo said :), FSW is not a newly invented stream and it's been working for a decade. It clearly implies its necessity for the economy.

D

Deleted member 1050918

1) money injected into the economy doesn't have to go to the govt..

2) also there is currently shortage of temporary low skilled/part-time workers in canada ...
I doubt you have any experience in this.

1) Most of the funds international students gain (stipends, salaries, bursaries etc) come from domestic sources like companies in Canada or non-profit bodies like NSERC. That's because most international students, unlike you guys believe, are grad assistants and they don't pay out of their own pocket. You assume every single student comes to Canada as ready to spend 100k CAD. In reality, that's probably less than 50% of all students. My entire network is international students and I only know 2 people who pay out of their pocket and they do a much shorter program.

2) Most students support themselves by working also as teaching assistants (on top of working as research assistants). So you won't see a lot of international students working at Shoppers.

Reactions: ita_drgen

dxdroid

Champion Member
Jun 21, 2021
I agree with that. Each group is important and each group should have its own streams :) I am just hopping that next few weeks will give us some clarity

D

Deleted member 1050918

Where our stressed FSW friends are wrong is they assume there's a plethora of people banging at Canada's doors with 100k CAD in their hand begging to spend it on a PGWP. Outlanders might have to take my word on it that it isn't the case.

tizzyboi

Star Member
Aug 20, 2020
I doubt you have any experience in this.

1) Most of the funds international students gain (stipends, salaries, bursaries etc) come from domestic sources like companies in Canada or non-profit bodies like NSERC. That's because most international students, unlike you guys believe, are grad assistants and they don't pay out of their own pocket. You assume every single student comes to Canada as ready to spend 100k CAD. In reality, that's probably less than 50% of all students. My entire network is international students and I only know 2 people who pay out of their pocket and they do a much shorter program.

2) Most students support themselves by working also as teaching assistants (on top of working as research assistants). So you won't see a lot of international students working at Shoppers.
1. Canada makes lot of money from the international students. ~20% of their total exports value(same as oil export contribution of canada). Don't jump to conclusions mate. Also, Your network may or may not represent the country. Undergrad programs are almost never subsidised.