Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
@ Sonea, what do you think would be estimated expense for a family of three
a couple and a four year old?

much thx

jayasree

Jun 1, 2013
hai deepak,

u are absolutely right as far as the consultant is concerned. bcoz when u r in india and as a novice to canadian resettlements have to accept only and u feel that u dont have a choice. After landing there only u will come to know the exact situation and people around are really good!!! it is not that u are not smart enough. but i feel u are in the right track and taking things in the right manner. keep going and all the best for your new endeavours!!!

on-hold

Champion Member
Feb 6, 2010
cimple said:
evaluation done by WES is useless as one of my friend apply in York university and they ask to send them official transcript inspite of this WES evaluation they did not consider it at all. Yes your other things you mentioned is very much appropriate oen

Cimple, you need to decide what you want to do -- your first question was about the equivalency of a European MPH degree. An evaluation of your degree will be critical for this, and WES is usually the one who does it. Now you're saying something about a friend going to a university -- of course he had to have official transcripts sent from his own school, that is how one applies to any school in America, Canada, or Europe. Didn't you say you studied in Sweden?

sonea

Nov 7, 2008
Canada
App. Filed.......
11-08-2008
AOR Received.
20-aug-2008
IELTS Request
21-03-2011
File Transfer...
20-09-2010
Med's Request
11/11/11
Med's Done....
28/11/11, recieved by VO 12/12/11
Passport Req..
05/Jan/2012
VISA ISSUED...
29th Feb
LANDED..........
2nd July 2012
ItsBeenLongNow said:
@ Sonea, what do you think would be estimated expense for a family of three
a couple and a four year old?

much thx
We are family of 4 and spend $600 each month on grocery for you that should be arround $500, electric bill should be arround $45 in summer months, telus broadband, tv and phone costs around $80 with basic cartoon package and local calls for phone if u choose 3 year contract you get router and reciever free and also this will reduce your monthly charge, bus's monthly pass for one person is $90 and single ticket is $3 (which remains valid for 2.5 hours), if u use coin laundry that will cost you around $25 a month, other than this, is your mobile phone package which depends on what package you choose but roughly basic package would be $30

Monthly expense should be between $750 to $800 other than your house rent

ItsBeenLongNow

Champion Member
Nov 26, 2010
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
sonea said:
We are family of 4 and spend $600 each month on grocery for you that should be arround $500, electric bill should be arround $45 in summer months, telus broadband, tv and phone costs around $80 with basic cartoon package and local calls for phone if u choose 3 year contract you get router and reciever free and also this will reduce your monthly charge, bus's monthly pass for one person is $90 and single ticket is $3 (which remains valid for 2.5 hours), if u use coin laundry that will cost you around $25 a month, other than this, is your mobile phone package which depends on what package you choose but roughly basic package would be $30

Monthly expense should be between $750 to $800 other than your house rent
Thanks a lot ! once again

ImCanadian2

Apr 30, 2013
My deepest sympathies to your first month of experience in Canada and as well to your professor friend. I really do hope things change for the better for you.
I have watched a few programs on TVO which stand out to me. The most relevant programs on youtube would be Immigration sickness and Immigration Nation. What I can see is that planning truly is key as well as doing research before landing. Another bit of advice I've been given is 'have a job ready for you before you get there!' Many people land and do fall into the trap of finding hoped for jobs and opportunities. Sadly, the best of many lands are arriving to work below their qualifications. This is a longstanding problem in Canada however all is not lost though! We need to set our sights high and focus on building forward. We could easily return home but we've chosen Canada as our new destination. I am happy to hear that yet another person has disagreed with getting help from Immigration Lawyers on line. Keep to the government websites for help. There are just too many problems people encounter with the IM lawyers.

I really wish you well Itsbeenlongnow. Don't lose hope and keep close to God.

abhia145

Sep 5, 2012
After 14 months of relentless pursuit and struggles, I have managed to land in my first full-time job last week. Yes its a good news, notwithstanding the enormous pressure me and my wife had to go through after landing. Despite my many years of mid management experience, in Strategic HR Operations, combined with working at top Dubai based multinationals, I had to volunteer for 6 full months in Toronto before getting into my first full-time job. It was very difficult for me to digest such a thing as volunteering when I first landed. But that's how the system works here. 90% of the Canadian employers look for candidates who can be culturally fit for their organization. And its very important how you convince them on that!!! Hence I decided to share a few words of advice for all those excited people out there, who are planning their landing soon!!

Relocating and settling in Canada works in a totally different way. Every case is different and it all depends on your Present Situation and Your needs. Please do remember "You are migrating to a new place - On the hopes of Better Life, not for a adjusting or compromising life". It is not related to your qualifications, or experience - the system is Different NOT Difficult, which cannot be explained by writing. Everyone has to come to Canadian Loop to understand and enjoy this.

Because immigrants are welcomed, Canada has so many immigrants, ironically, you may actually find you are competing with many of your country men/women even when you get here. In kind of a twisted way: you are not really a "minority" and will find it just as difficult, if not more difficult. Canadian employers will not be jumping up and down because you have had overseas experience - so many people here have that. So, in and of itself, your experience just being overseas will not necessarily "seal the deal".

So do your research, before choosing Toronto, and my suggestion - make a full research till you get tired, identify needs, try to get a proper Job / Specified income which you are ready to accept - then you can enjoy your stay in Canada.

Careful with your qualifications and/or experience - depending - may nor be transferable to Canada. .Many certificates and/or uni degrees are not recognized here. Your expertise may enable you to move here - but your "paper" or "transcript" etc may not be transferable here.....

Having priorities set with no high hopes is the rational way of making a move if you want it reflecting positively on your, and your next generation's, future - especially when it comes to migrating. Disappointment and desperation are the only things you'd get if you've set your expectations too high, and this is commonly happening to those who end up moving without prior research.

While awaiting for your visa visa, its very important you research a lot, what's in demand, market dynamics in your field, alternates and local skills that you need to acquire there. This is something everyone of us should be aware of before the much awaited 'LANDING'.

Take as much funds with you as possible, not just the minimum suggested by CIC. I would suggest that you take at least savings for the first one year. Be prepared for a change in lifestyle. Try adapting to the Canadian lifestyle. Start building professional network even before the time you land. Times have changed and social media has evolved rapidly.world has shrunk - try LinkedIn(don't ask for jobs directly, they'll throw you out of their network, rather your profile should be strong enough to impress).

Ensure English (or French) and other skill sets are up to snuff. In many areas of the country (particularly urban), you would be speaking with others all speaking English or French with their own accents (not necessarily Canadian origin). And so proficiency is almost more important than ever since you will be hearing the languages spoken so differently by so many different people with so many different backgrounds... the plus side is most people here will have heard English (and French) spoken with your accent - but not necessarily the other way around?

Repurpose your application and resume for each job you apply for rather than a broad brushstroke. Start reading job boards, job descriptions and essential equirements, this should give you an idea of what background a Canadian employer seeks from candidates.

So what are the common mistakes newcomers commit and how can they be avoided?
1. Coming to a new country expecting to start from where you let off at your home country or even higher using that experience. This can be avoided by setting realistic expectations, market study and networking with industry professionals before coming here.
2. Creating ethnic silos.- If we are to move around in broods, the best place is our our country. It is important to embrace the new culture, however challenging that might seem. Celebrate local festivals, learn the language and keep your beliefs to your home and heart (hearth?). This is often tough when one is from a country steeped in history a defined religious culture. Also, this does not mean giving up ones own cultural roots or faith. It just means respect and embrace what your new country offers you.
3. Expecting their credentials from the home country to be valued- This is a tricky one, and is easily answered by asking oneself the question ' Would I value something I know nothing about, over something that I have tried and tested for years?' The answer is no. No employer has it as his mission to discount your credentials. He just doesn't understand what value it could bring to the table ! Help him by getting your credentials assessed by a local body or prove your mettle by undertaking local qualifying exams.
4. Coming unprepared and taking up un-related survival jobs too soon- This could be the toughest. But do come prepared and choose your first job with care. Working in a call center for six months and hoping to use that as experience to qualify for a university instructor isn't a good idea. Do try to volunteer or take on jobs even if it is at a lower level in your chosen space of work. You will gain precious 'relevant experience'
5. Expecting others to do your job- This is very common.. NO agency, friend , connection or 'relative' you may have in your chosen country can do your work for you. Go out there, roll up your sleeves and ensure you do your share of the work. You will find others a lot more supportive then. Self help is the best help. Avoid asking people to get you a job or provide you advice UNLESS you have done enough research on your own and can prove it. No- one owes you anything. It is tough, but with focus and determination it all falls in place sooner than later.
6. Not utilize available support- This is an expensive mistake. Do your research and you will find a lot of support offered by government funded organizations at little or no cost. Do remember they will work with you and not for you. It also pays to know services offered to new comers and within what time frame.
7.Getting into a negative pattern -This is a trap and one that's easy to fall into , it is important to find time with the family and find time to pursue simple pleasures. It could just be walk in the neighborhood or sipping coffee listening to bird song. It is therapeutic and one would need the positivity to meet the challenges of relocation. People need to see you as positive and energetic to want to associate with you personally or professionally.
8. Losing focus and applying for various jobs- This can be confusing.Being focused yet being aware of transferable skills that can work in related disciplines is important.
9.Being overly suspicious or trusting- It pays to let relationships grow and take root over some time. Always helps being observant and being a good listener. Rash decisions and misplaced trust can be difficult to reverse
10. Thinking too much about the past or the future- Yes, it is tough to sever the good times gone by.. but do remember you came here in the hope for something better. Let go. Similarly,Rome wasn't built in a day and tomorrow never comes. Missing the past and worrying about the future, takes away from the present.

The list can go on, and on, so prepare yourself mentally to face these challenges.

That being said, I feel privileged to live here so far..and I love Canada ;D ;D

coolguy2010

VIP Member
Jun 28, 2010
UAE
Category........
Visa Office......
London to Paris
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
04-05-2010
Doc's Request.
23-10-2010
Nomination.....
09-06-2011
AOR Received.
09-06-2011
IELTS Request
6 Band
File Transfer...
01-03-2013
Med's Request
01-03-2013
Med's Done....
30-03-2013
Interview........
NA
Passport Req..
20-05-2013
VISA ISSUED...
29-05-2013
LANDED..........
06-08-2013
Well expained dear +100 for u

abhia145 said:
After 14 months of relentless pursuit and struggles, I have managed to land in my first full-time job last week. Yes its a good news, notwithstanding the enormous pressure me and my wife had to go through after landing. Despite my many years of mid management experience, in Strategic HR Operations, combined with working at top Dubai based multinationals, I had to volunteer for 6 full months in Toronto before getting into my first full-time job. It was very difficult for me to digest such a thing as volunteering when I first landed. But that's how the system works here. 90% of the Canadian employers look for candidates who can be culturally fit for their organization. And its very important how you convince them on that!!! Hence I decided to share a few words of advice for all those excited people out there, who are planning their landing soon!!

Relocating and settling in Canada works in a totally different way. Every case is different and it all depends on your Present Situation and Your needs. Please do remember "You are migrating to a new place - On the hopes of Better Life, not for a adjusting or compromising life". It is not related to your qualifications, or experience - the system is Different NOT Difficult, which cannot be explained by writing. Everyone has to come to Canadian Loop to understand and enjoy this.

Because immigrants are welcomed, Canada has so many immigrants, ironically, you may actually find you are competing with many of your country men/women even when you get here. In kind of a twisted way: you are not really a "minority" and will find it just as difficult, if not more difficult. Canadian employers will not be jumping up and down because you have had overseas experience - so many people here have that. So, in and of itself, your experience just being overseas will not necessarily "seal the deal".

So do your research, before choosing Toronto, and my suggestion - make a full research till you get tired, identify needs, try to get a proper Job / Specified income which you are ready to accept - then you can enjoy your stay in Canada.

Careful with your qualifications and/or experience - depending - may nor be transferable to Canada. .Many certificates and/or uni degrees are not recognized here. Your expertise may enable you to move here - but your "paper" or "transcript" etc may not be transferable here.....

Having priorities set with no high hopes is the rational way of making a move if you want it reflecting positively on your, and your next generation's, future - especially when it comes to migrating. Disappointment and desperation are the only things you'd get if you've set your expectations too high, and this is commonly happening to those who end up moving without prior research.

While awaiting for your visa visa, its very important you research a lot, what's in demand, market dynamics in your field, alternates and local skills that you need to acquire there. This is something everyone of us should be aware of before the much awaited 'LANDING'.

Take as much funds with you as possible, not just the minimum suggested by CIC. I would suggest that you take at least savings for the first one year. Be prepared for a change in lifestyle. Try adapting to the Canadian lifestyle. Start building professional network even before the time you land. Times have changed and social media has evolved rapidly.world has shrunk - try LinkedIn(don't ask for jobs directly, they'll throw you out of their network, rather your profile should be strong enough to impress).

Ensure English (or French) and other skill sets are up to snuff. In many areas of the country (particularly urban), you would be speaking with others all speaking English or French with their own accents (not necessarily Canadian origin). And so proficiency is almost more important than ever since you will be hearing the languages spoken so differently by so many different people with so many different backgrounds... the plus side is most people here will have heard English (and French) spoken with your accent - but not necessarily the other way around?

Repurpose your application and resume for each job you apply for rather than a broad brushstroke. Start reading job boards, job descriptions and essential equirements, this should give you an idea of what background a Canadian employer seeks from candidates.

The list can go on, and on, so prepare yourself mentally to face these challenges.

I do hope your post was read with care. You are right and I am seeing people fall prey to their own folly almost every day. What are the common mistakes newcomers commit and how can they be avoided?
1. Coming to a new country expecting to start from where you let off at your home country or even higher using that experience. This can be avoided by setting realistic expectations, market study and networking with industry professionals before coming here.
2. Creating ethnic silos.- If we are to move around in broods, the best place is our our country. It is important to embrace the new culture, however challenging that might seem. Celebrate local festivals, learn the language and keep your beliefs to your home and heart (hearth?). This is often tough when one is from a country steeped in history a defined religious culture. Also, this does not mean giving up ones own cultural roots or faith. It just means respect and embrace what your new country offers you.
3. Expecting their credentials from the home country to be valued- This is a tricky one, and is easily answered by asking oneself the question ' Would I value something I know nothing about, over something that I have tried and tested for years?' The answer is no. No employer has it as his mission to discount your credentials. He just doesn't understand what value it could bring to the table ! Help him by getting your credentials assessed by a local body or prove your mettle by undertaking local qualifying exams.
4. Coming unprepared and taking up un-related survival jobs too soon- This could be the toughest. But do come prepared and choose your first job with care. Working in a call center for six months and hoping to use that as experience to qualify for a university instructor isn't a good idea. Do try to volunteer or take on jobs even if it is at a lower level in your chosen space of work. You will gain precious 'relevant experience'
5. Expecting others to do your job- This is very common.. NO agency, friend , connection or 'relative' you may have in your chosen country can do your work for you. Go out there, roll up your sleeves and ensure you do your share of the work. You will find others a lot more supportive then. Self help is the best help. Avoid asking people to get you a job or provide you advice UNLESS you have done enough research on your own and can prove it. No- one owes you anything. It is tough, but with focus and determination it all falls in place sooner than later.
6. Not utilize available support- This is an expensive mistake. Do your research and you will find a lot of support offered by government funded organizations at little or no cost. Do remember they will work with you and not for you. It also pays to know services offered to new comers and within what time frame.
7.Getting into a negative pattern -This is a trap and one that's easy to fall into , it is important to find time with the family and find time to pursue simple pleasures. It could just be walk in the neighborhood or sipping coffee listening to bird song. It is therapeutic and one would need the positivity to meet the challenges of relocation. People need to see you as positive and energetic to want to associate with you personally or professionally.
8. Losing focus and applying for various jobs- This can be confusing.Being focused yet being aware of transferable skills that can work in related disciplines is important.
9.Being overly suspicious or trusting- It pays to let relationships grow and take root over some time. Always helps being observant and being a good listener. Rash decisions and misplaced trust can be difficult to reverse
10. Thinking too much about the past or the future- Yes, it is tough to sever the good times gone by.. but do remember you came here in the hope for something better. Let go. Similarly,Rome wasn't built in a day and tomorrow never comes. Missing the past and worrying about the future, takes away from the present.

kmkm

May 11, 2013
Paksiatn
Visa Office......
London
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
feb 06 2012
Med's Request
August 23 2012
Med's Done....
sep 03 2012
Interview........
no
Passport Req..
20th april 2013
VISA ISSUED...
12-06-2013
LANDED..........
In sha Allah soon.
sonea said:
its easier to get a grant over here .. perhaps this is the reason people are moving here
Dear Sonea.... thanks a lot ..... really have no words to say thank you...great work.

Dear we have sent our passports and In sha Allah will get them back this week.we are planning to move to Surrey BC,as one of my relative is there...kindly help me out i am really very depressed....
we are a family of four,me ,hubby and two kids.. 6 yr and 4yr.
i know at start we will have to do odd jobs. some one told me that you get some courses with grants..also you get child support grant..... as per my relative information it is 400$ per kid in surrey....is it right???? and what about the education grant?Is it available in Surrey BC? tell me any link to find it in surrey BC.
Infact we are not having much with us and moving to Canada with a hope of a good life.
so please help me ... my hunny is good at business and we have planes to start it later but at start we will have to survive.
i can not go i any where is canada and will have to go in surrey BC. so give me informations about it please.
i am waiting for your reply :-[

on-hold

Champion Member
Feb 6, 2010
Well, you are right and you are wrong -- things like educational grants and money for children are based on two things, your taxes for the past year and the amount of money you have in the bank. Since you are required to bring a certain amount of money with you for landing, around 25,000 based on the size of your family, I doubt that you are going to qualify for extensive grants. Getting the $400 per month, which is actually $100 from one program and ~$289 from another, depends on your income over the past year.

sonea

Nov 7, 2008
Canada
App. Filed.......
11-08-2008
AOR Received.
20-aug-2008
IELTS Request
21-03-2011
File Transfer...
20-09-2010
Med's Request
11/11/11
Med's Done....
Passport Req..
05/Jan/2012
VISA ISSUED...
29th Feb
LANDED..........
2nd July 2012
kmkm said:
Dear Sonea.... thanks a lot ..... really have no words to say thank you...great work.

Dear we have sent our passports and In sha Allah will get them back this week.we are planning to move to Surrey BC,as one of my relative is there...kindly help me out i am really very depressed....
we are a family of four,me ,hubby and two kids.. 6 yr and 4yr.
i know at start we will have to do odd jobs. some one told me that you get some courses with grants..also you get child support grant..... as per my relative information it is 400$ per kid in surrey....is it right???? and what about the education grant?Is it available in Surrey BC? tell me any link to find it in surrey BC.
Infact we are not having much with us and moving to Canada with a hope of a good life.
so please help me ... my hunny is good at business and we have planes to start it later but at start we will have to survive.
i can not go i any where is canada and will have to go in surrey BC. so give me informations about it please.
i am waiting for your reply :-[
one of my friend moved to surrey from Dubai her husband was at a good position there in some IT field but I'm not hearing good things about surrey from them its located in the suburbs of Vancouver, BC. its a small place with less opportunities. as Seattle (USA) and Vancouver are close, people usually get to shop everyting easily USA is very cheap as compared to Canada.. so if you think you will do some kind of general business (like selling Asian style clothing etc) , its hard to enter that kind of strong market .. although i don't have immense knowledge(the above is my observation only) perhaps someone else or your friend can guide you much better..

CCTB (canada child tax benefit) is max $300(variable, non taxable) and universal child tax is $100(fixed, taxable) for children under 6 years of age, both make a total of $400 each month. when you first come to Canada you have to tell the tax office your international income according to which they calculate how much you are entitled to get each month for CCTB so if your annual income was very low (say around Canadian $15000) in the country you earned before coming to Canada, you will get full $300 otherwise it will be less. CCTB and UCTB are same in every province.

I don't really know about education grants in BC. usually you have to visit the university to find out what they have to offer you so you should ask your friend who lives there to visit any university to find this out.

sonea

Nov 7, 2008
Canada
App. Filed.......
11-08-2008
AOR Received.
20-aug-2008
IELTS Request
21-03-2011
File Transfer...
20-09-2010
Med's Request
11/11/11
Med's Done....
Passport Req..
05/Jan/2012
VISA ISSUED...
29th Feb
LANDED..........
2nd July 2012
grants have nothing to do with how much money you bought with you its up to universities you just tell them that your credentials are not recognized and you are having a hard time to find a proper job in your field (in Edmonton)

About the money you bring to Canada, I've seen people doing such big blunders that they loose $15000 just like that .. $400 for LED TV, $3000 for new furniture/mattress, 8000 - 10000 for car, $2000 house rent and deposit and so on because there are people here who misguide newcomers too ....
you have plenty of excuses to tell them that you've spent most of your money, there is no limit on spending it right! and no one can question you about why you spent like crazy !!

sonea

Nov 7, 2008
Canada
App. Filed.......
11-08-2008
AOR Received.
20-aug-2008
IELTS Request
21-03-2011
File Transfer...
20-09-2010
Med's Request
11/11/11
Med's Done....
Passport Req..
05/Jan/2012
VISA ISSUED...
29th Feb
LANDED..........
2nd July 2012
abhia145 said:

So what are the common mistakes newcomers commit and how can they be avoided?

very well explained ..

Phers1976

Jun 3, 2013
Glad to hear that you battled all odds to finally find your feet in Canada. Congrats for that. I have heard about many immigrants who have given up in such situations from a friend of mine who is a lawyer. This should be a great inspiration for many who are dreaming of moving to Canada. All the best.

on-hold

Champion Member
Feb 6, 2010
sonea said:
grants have nothing to do with how much money you bought with you its up to universities you just tell them that your credentials are not recognized and you are having a hard time to find a proper job in your field (in Edmonton)

About the money you bring to Canada, I've seen people doing such big blunders that they loose $15000 just like that .. $400 for LED TV, $3000 for new furniture/mattress, 8000 - 10000 for car, $2000 house rent and deposit and so on because there are people here who misguide newcomers too ....
you have plenty of excuses to tell them that you've spent most of your money, there is no limit on spending it right! and no one can question you about why you spent like crazy !

This is both wrong and disgusting! First off, in both Alberta and B.C., when you apply for upgrading grants you have to declare all of your assets -- not only bank accounts, but vehicles, jewelry, etc., and go through an interview in which you swear that you are telling the truth and have included all of your debts and upcoming expenses. This includes foreign property. So yes, getting grants is explicitly based on your assets; and for immigrants who are landing, their assets are largely what they have brought with them. I don't know why you tell people things that are completely wrong.

Secondly, your attitude is disgusting -- spend all your money so you can get education for free. You, and the original poster who is already trying to line up as much money as she can, make me sick. You apply to come to Canada as professionals, but arrive as leeches. My wife has studied with immigrants like you, who hide their money in foreign countries and beg for subsidies here. I hope that the officials in B.C. recognize that you are expected to come with money to survive, and work to prevent it from being depleted.

And finally, Sonea, your final absurd sentence -- no one can question you why you spent it like crazy -- is untrue. If they give you a grant they request your bank account information, and they can audit it at any time and question expenses going back 6 months before you received the funding. If your statements look funny you will get to repay everything.

Anyway, Sonea and kmkm, welcome to Canada -- I'm sorry that people like you arrive with your eyes wide open for money to take. Surrey is a lousy place with no jobs, living there will be its own punishment.