+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Fast-tracking applications when there are children involved?

bobshynoswife

Nov 16, 2009
St Albert, AB
Category........
Visa Office......
Accra
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
18-05-2010
File Transfer...
22-06-2010
Interview........
24-08-2010
VISA ISSUED...
24-08-2010
LANDED..........
09-09-2010
mingus said:
you are taking what I said completely out of context, I am agreeing that just because childern are involved, a case shouldn'y be fast tracked.. I was just saying that my case along with any other number of for instances could apply. I always said that being pregnant only proves one thing... That the woman had sex and not necessarly with her husband.. and with IVF I guess you could say it doesn't even really prove the sex part any more.

Not that it is any of your business really, but we were taking precautions too for the first 2 years but for us age become an issue. Plus, before we took this step forward to try to start a family, we had won our appeal in November of 2009, were told that once you won an appeal your file was given priority and given that the average wait time for my husband's visa office is 6 months, didn't think that 8 months later we would still be waiting. We are painfully aware of the consequences of our choices, not just the choice to try to have a child before I got too old ( and I not talking about turning 30 either... think higher), but the choice we made to decide to live in Canada, the choice for me to return here to wait it out, the choice to go for an appeal vs reapplying, and many more choices.
My apologies. I did read it quickly and assumed you were PRO fast-tracking when pregnancy is involved, not using your case as an example of how everyone has a reason to want to be fast-tracked. I'm so sorry it looked like I was against you.

As for your personal story, thank you for sharing that with me. It reminds me that I need to look at people with a much wider lens, and not assume everyone is like me! (I admit, that is one of my faults) Again, I truly hope you and your husband can be together for the birth of your child. It sucks when such an exciting time for you both has a black cloud over it because of the inexplicable time taken to process your positive appeal.

Rana80

Jun 7, 2010
Dear Mingus,
My heart goes out to you and inshalla your husband will be here with you to hold his newborn the moment he/she comes into this world.

Ramadan mubarak!

Salam,

Rana

I

iarblue

Like stated before the reason they do not fast track applicants with children is because if this was the case,then everyone would be having children wanted or unwanted just to get their file fast tracked.Could you just imagine the children that are not wanted,what happens to them once the application is fullfilled,what there parents all of a sudden want them.
It would be a total mess,exactly why they do not fast track applicants with children or parents expecting.I stand behind immigrations decision on this totally,and i have a little boy stuck in Brazil because he has to go through the process just like everyone else.God knows i want him and his mom here fast but i stand behind immigrations policy on this,just to save children down the road.
So you go through the process just like me and everyone else.And yeah to that.

zohal

Star Member
Aug 11, 2010
Canada
Category........
Visa Office......
Islamabad
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
January 2010
Doc's Request.
February 2010, send it back on February 2010, more documents request on January 2011, send it back on february 2011
AOR Received.
February 2010
File Transfer...
February 2010
Med's Request
February 2011
Med's Done....
September 2009, February 2011
Passport Req..
April 24, 2011
thaihubbie said:
Your points are all valid and I have succumbed to your arguments that all people feel that their situation is more of a priority than others but there are legal ramifications as well when there are children involved. Do you know about the new Citizenship Law that was passed in 2009 that affects the children of expats?

Read these new rules carefully. To help you along, here is a key phrase you should look for in the section about ‘Persons born or adopted outside of Canada' after the new rules go into effect:

“This means that children born in another country after the new law comes into effect will not be Canadian citizens by birth if they were born outside Canada to a Canadian parent who was also born outside Canada to a Canadian parent.”

Government bafflegab to be sure but essentially, it means that if you had your child abroad and gave him/her your Canadian citizenship, after April 17th, that same child cannot give their children the same Canadian citizenship unless they are born in Canada (and a few other rules thrown in for good measure). Given that a high percentage of children of expats are born abroad and these kids have a propensity for living and working abroad in adulthood, there's a pretty good chance your grandchildren or your children (if you are an Expat Kid reading this) will also be born outside of Canada.

In a nutshell this means that children of expats cannot pass down Canadian Citizenship if they were granted Canadian Citizenship after April 2009. My daughter received her Citizenship March, 2009 so just missed the date by a hair.
**Yes,angelbrat you are correct that I should have filed for PR 3 years ago when he was first refused his Visitor's Visa but we TRULY didn't want to immigrate at that time, we just wanted to visit. Plus we didn't have enough money to immigrate. Thus 3 years later, I've busting my butt trying to save money for immigration but we have yet to go for a visit.
That i NOT RIGHT, where you finding this kind information. Who is Canadian Citizen have all rights that Canada have for them. And it doesn't matter where are you born, i know very good law, so next time be sure that you have right information before opening your mouth.

zohal

Star Member
Aug 11, 2010
Canada
Category........
Visa Office......
Islamabad
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
January 2010
Doc's Request.
February 2010, send it back on February 2010, more documents request on January 2011, send it back on february 2011
AOR Received.
February 2010
File Transfer...
February 2010
Med's Request
February 2011
Med's Done....
Passport Req..
April 24, 2011
bobshynoswife said:
You know what? My husband and I would LOVE to have a child together, but we will not have one until his gets PR. You had that option too, after you got married to apply for PR and not have children at that time. Just because you chose to live in Thailand for a few years and have a baby does not mean you should get fast-tracked over me, who chose to apply for PR just a few weeks after getting married.
I am strongly agree with you, my husband want to have baby right now and me too, but it will be hard for me here to work, to sponsor and after all look after a child without my husband to help me, so we will wait until he will get his PR. And it doesn't mean your case should be looked better and faster than mine.

wilder1047

Star Member
Apr 13, 2010
Category........
Visa Office......
Singapore
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
I'm in a very similair situation. Very frustrating, but I don't think their should be a fast track option. People are so desperate it could result in very many unwanted children. Their shouldn't be a bias. On top of all this, you're getting to live with your loved one during this process. I and many many others on this forum have been apart from their families for 1+ years. I have a 11 month old son that I have met once, for two weeks. I think we should feel priviledged enough that we live in a country like this, where the government is allowing us to be reunited with our loved ones at all. Count your blessings, alot of us would kill to be in your position.

Good Luck.

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

zohal said:
That i NOT RIGHT, where you finding this kind information. Who is Canadian Citizen have all rights that Canada have for them. And it doesn't matter where are you born, i know very good law, so next time be sure that you have right information before opening your mouth.
Zohal, you better re-read the citizenship Act. As of 17/04/10 any children born abroad of parents born abroad, and the parent(s) were citizens at the time of birth, will not longer be able to pass citizenship to their children who are born abroad. http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/faq/citizenship/index.asp#rules

heatherusa

Mar 23, 2010
Edmonton
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
05-05-2010
File Transfer...
14-06-2010
Med's Done....
22-04-2010
Interview........
Not required
Passport Req..
08-10-2010
LANDED..........
26-10-2010
thaihubbie said:
I believe that once the child's Citizenship papers are approved then the processing for the Sponsored Spouse should be fast-tracked or just put into a separated category than others where children are not in the picture.
I think that unscrupulous people who are using Canadians for a visa wont have much issue having a child in order to fast track the process. Perhaps that would just increase the number of pregnancies by newly married couples beginning the process. People who are willing to defraud the government to get a visa aren't likely to care how far they have to go to get it.

zohal

Star Member
Aug 11, 2010
Canada
Category........
Visa Office......
Islamabad
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
January 2010
Doc's Request.
AOR Received.
February 2010
File Transfer...
February 2010
Med's Request
February 2011
Med's Done....
Passport Req..
April 24, 2011
PMM said:
Hi

Zohal, you better re-read the citizenship Act. As of 17/04/10 any children born abroad of parents born abroad, and the parent(s) were citizens at the time of birth, will not longer be able to pass citizenship to their children who are born abroad. http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/faq/citizenship/index.asp#rules
Yes PPM, i know and its clearly says:

"In general, children born outside Canada on or after April 17, 2009, will only be Canadian at birth if they are born to a Canadian parent who was either born in Canada or became a Canadian citizen by immigrating to Canada as a permanent resident and subsequently being granted citizenship (also called naturalization)."