+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

eTA more documents needed....

ytzmarlon

Nov 4, 2015
Hello,

my girlfriends eTA is still pending... we applied and she got a response to include more information. Specifically, what her daily travel plans are, what is her purpose of travel and a copy of the return ticket. Its important to note that she applied for a student visa 2 times and was rejected.

We are applying for PR in January and would prefer to apply from inland, but she needs the eTA first. Her purpose of travel is to be with me, her common law partner. We had a friend call the immigration hotline from Canada and they told her that the eta and PR are completely different, they do not have any effect on each other. (to me this is odd as she is only coming to the country to be with me)

Can you actually be rejected for an eTA if you previously applied visa and were denied? Also, are rejections common, a flexible fair ticket costs upwards for 1400 euros from where I am, should I go ahead and buy a ticket? We plan to travel together as my mobility visa is expiring and the duration of her trip would be 6 months.

Million thanks!

Aquakitty

VIP Member
Mar 21, 2011
BC
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Ottawa
App. Filed.......
04-03-2015
AOR Received.
14-04-2015 - SA Received: 20-04-2015
Med's Done....
28-01-2015 Upfront
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
N/A
VISA ISSUED...
25-06-2015
LANDED..........
11-07-2015
ytzmarlon said:
Hello,

my girlfriends eTA is still pending... we applied and she got a response to include more information. Specifically, what her daily travel plans are, what is her purpose of travel and a copy of the return ticket. Its important to note that she applied for a student visa 2 times and was rejected.

We are applying for PR in January and would prefer to apply from inland, but she needs the eTA first. Her purpose of travel is to be with me, her common law partner. We had a friend call the immigration hotline from Canada and they told her that the eta and PR are completely different, they do not have any effect on each other. (to me this is odd as she is only coming to the country to be with me)

Can you actually be rejected for an eTA if you previously applied visa and were denied? Also, are rejections common, a flexible fair ticket costs upwards for 1400 euros from where I am, should I go ahead and buy a ticket? We plan to travel together as my mobility visa is expiring and the duration of her trip would be 6 months.

Million thanks!
So I assume she is visitor-visa exempt? Just comply with the request. They'd have refused her already if it was that big an issue. Looks like they are using this as a way to pre-screen people, not much different than being taken to secondary at the border.

ytzmarlon

Nov 4, 2015
Thank you so much for the reply. We are very stressed, and its likely to be getting the better of us. Would you recommend we tell them about the PR application as well, or shall we not include that information?

Many thanks

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
I would not mention the PR application since that will make it clear she's not a genuine visitor but has plans on remaining in Canada long term.

Make sure the trip is a reasonable length - i.e. the kind of length a real visitor would do.

ETA and PR are completely different. ETA allows her to visit Canada but not live here. PR allows her to become a permanent resident and live here permanently.

ytzmarlon

Nov 4, 2015
I understand. We were thinking of not mentioning it at all. The issue is that if they search our bags, they would find the application in the bag. we want to take it to a lawyer in canada to have a closer look.

ytzmarlon

Nov 4, 2015
furthermore, we can apply for outland before our flight... we would want her to be in Toronto as a tourist, not working or studying, just being together. would we tell the eta about the outland application?

Aquakitty

VIP Member
Mar 21, 2011
BC
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Ottawa
App. Filed.......
04-03-2015
AOR Received.
14-04-2015 - SA Received: 20-04-2015
Med's Done....
28-01-2015 Upfront
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
N/A
VISA ISSUED...
25-06-2015
LANDED..........
11-07-2015
ytzmarlon said:
furthermore, we can apply for outland before our flight... we would want her to be in Toronto as a tourist, not working or studying, just being together. would we tell the eta about the outland application?
Tough call, I'd not mention it and just leave it as a regular visit. Unless you've already submitted a medical or paperwork. If they question her directly about it at the border, you can bring it up then.

ytzmarlon

Nov 4, 2015
tough call indeed, she has a medical appointment on the 9th of december. so they would be able to tell she is applying or PR. i was also thinking, we can buy a ticket for 3 weeks, then have her stay legally or 6 months. then take another trip for 6 months... the work around would be i get another mobility visa and we can live here in slovakia. but i would prefer not to do that.

would there be any difference if i write a letter from myself to the immigration officer, stating our situation?

ytzmarlon

Nov 4, 2015
ok, so i was thinking about me staying in Slovakia until my sponsorship step is approved (30 days extra). would this change the outcome of the eta, if we have an open application for outland? when the immigration officer views her eta, does he or she have access to view the open outland application?

What are your thoughts...