+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Enter Canada with a non-Canadian passport & a Canadian citizenship certificate?

yogitacec

Star Member
Dec 21, 2013
Mississauga, Ontario
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-Ottawa
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
24-12-2013
AOR Received.
11-02-2014
IELTS Request
Results sent with application
Med's Request
04-07-14
Med's Done....
10-07-14
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
23-10-14
VISA ISSUED...
31-10-14
LANDED..........
08-11-14
sjakub said:
Not necessarily. If he has a passport from one of visa-exempt countries, then he doesn't need anything else to board the plane.
What if it is not from a Visa exempt country - then do I need to get a visa again even though I have my pr card

good2011

Jan 5, 2015
itguy78 said:
By air I doubt the airline will let you board. By car I'm sure it would be ok (even if they put you thru second inspection) -- when you drive from the US to Canada you only speak with CBSA officers directly, while a passport/PR/Nexus is preferred, having any gov issued ID and the Citizenship should be enough proof... see here: http://can-am.gc.ca/consular_services_consulaires/border-frontiere.aspx?lang=eng
Thank you! I find this: http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/passport/help/travel.asp#general

Can I travel with my Canadian Certificate of Citizenship?

No. A Certificate of Canadian Citizenship is not a travel document. A passport is the only reliable and universally accepted travel and identification document.

Canadian citizens returning to Canada who present documents, such as a Certificate of Canadian Citizenship, birth certificate, provincial driver's license, or foreign passport, instead of a Canadian passport may face delays or be denied boarding by transport companies.

Seems like possible but risky....."may face delays or be denied boarding by transport companies."

itguy78

Star Member
Dec 1, 2014
Windsor, ON
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
good2011 said:
Thank you! I find this: http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/passport/help/travel.asp#general

Can I travel with my Canadian Certificate of Citizenship?

No. A Certificate of Canadian Citizenship is not a travel document. A passport is the only reliable and universally accepted travel and identification document.

Canadian citizens returning to Canada who present documents, such as a Certificate of Canadian Citizenship, birth certificate, provincial driver's license, or foreign passport, instead of a Canadian passport may face delays or be denied boarding by transport companies.

Seems like possible but risky....."may face delays or be denied boarding by transport companies."
I wouldn't risk buying an airline ticket unless I had a passport from a visa-exempt country or had a valid visa. If you have a valid US visa you could fly to a border city and drive into Canada (already adds another level of trouble to the trip). I'm sure that at the worst case you could apply for an entry visa at a Canadian consulate overseas but that could be even more trouble.

thecoolguysam

VIP Member
May 25, 2011
Canada
canopywing said:
He needs a return ticket. Otherwise the airline won't let him onboard.
What has the return ticket to do with coming to Canada? I think its upon CBSA's discretion that whom to let in or not regardless of the person has a return ticket or not. Airlines just need to see either a visa on the passport or visa exempt passport or passport with a pr card.

canopywing

Dec 16, 2013
It's pretty much standard for International trip that you have to proof that you intend to leave the country at the end of your permitted stay. For every passenger arriving without correct documentation, the airline has to turned back the passenger at their expenses and facing the penalty.

itguy78

Star Member
Dec 1, 2014
Windsor, ON
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
canopywing said:
It's pretty much standard for International trip that you have to proof that you intend to leave the country at the end of your permitted stay. For every passenger arriving without correct documentation, the airline has to turned back the passenger at their expenses and facing the penalty.
Yes, I have seen the level of scrutiny the airlines will put you thru personally. When I was studying/working on a temporary visa and was going back to that country on a return ticket the airlines would always give me crap -- eventually they would let me thru based on my visa, but even then it got me worried at times. Even if you buy a full price ticket and you are in the outbound leg of the trip they won't let you board without a valid passport (and visa, if required). When I did my PR landing in Canada I asked about entering Canada again since my landing visa was cancelled and I still did not have my PR. The officer said the same thing as the website: you can enter Canada by land with gov issued ID and proof of legal status in Canada (CPR/Citizenship certificate/Birth Certificate), but the airlines won't accept those things to let you board a plane.

good2011

Jan 5, 2015
itguy78 said:
Yes, I have seen the level of scrutiny the airlines will put you thru personally. When I was studying/working on a temporary visa and was going back to that country on a return ticket the airlines would always give me crap -- eventually they would let me thru based on my visa, but even then it got me worried at times. Even if you buy a full price ticket and you are in the outbound leg of the trip they won't let you board without a valid passport (and visa, if required). When I did my PR landing in Canada I asked about entering Canada again since my landing visa was cancelled and I still did not have my PR. The officer said the same thing as the website: you can enter Canada by land with gov issued ID and proof of legal status in Canada (CPR/Citizenship certificate/Birth Certificate), but the airlines won't accept those things to let you board a plane.
Does it mean that if the airline let me board based on my passport from a visa-exempt country, then I will be fine to enter Canada with gov issued ID and proof of legal status in Canada (CPR/Citizenship certificate/Birth Certificate)?

itguy78

Star Member
Dec 1, 2014
Windsor, ON
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
good2011 said:
Does it mean that if the airline let me board based on my passport from a visa-exempt country, then I will be fine to enter Canada with gov issued ID and proof of legal status in Canada (CPR/Citizenship certificate/Birth Certificate)?
They may not like it, they may put you in a room, ask questions and verify the legitimacy of your documents but as a permanent resident or citizen I highly doubt they would kick you out once you land in Canada. I would be willing to bet money that they would want to see the passport you used for boarding and your Canadian documents and let you thru without any major problems -- if you want to have peace of mind, call CBSA and ask (they tend to be very willing to help but they don't always know the right answers). If you think about it: since you have a visa exempt passport, the worst case would be that they would let you enter as a tourist.

raymasa

Star Member
Apr 12, 2014
good2011 said:
The two are not related. Just because the airline allow you to board the plane, doesn't mean CBSA has to let you into the country. Now, as itguy78 pointed out, if you have a legal right to be here, CBSA will let you in, but if you don't and the airline let you board the plane, CBSA can still deny you entry

Ray

good2011

Jan 5, 2015
raymasa said:
The two are not related. Just because the airline allow you to board the plane, doesn't mean CBSA has to let you into the country. Now, as itguy78 pointed out, if you have a legal right to be here, CBSA will let you in, but if you don't and the airline let you board the plane, CBSA can still deny you entry

Ray
Thanks Ray, As a citizen, I have a legal right to enter Canada. I ask the question because cic website doesn't say citizens are not allowed to enter Canada without a Canadian passport, but mentions that they may face delays or be denied boarding by transport companies.
http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/passport/help/travel.asp#general

It would be great if someone has similar true experience to share....

marren

Oct 15, 2014
If you have time to apply for a passport in Canada with fast delivery, you can do so.
I booked my flight before i receive my passport , the air line does not ask for your passport number. All what you need to to is to write your name on the ticket as the one that will be on your citizenship certificate and wait for your passport before you leave. You will need passport information one day before your trip if you check in online.

good2011

Jan 5, 2015
marren said:
If you have time to apply for a passport in Canada with fast delivery, you can do so.
I booked my flight before i receive my passport , the air line does not ask for your passport number. All what you need to to is to write your name on the ticket as the one that will be on your citizenship certificate and wait for your passport before you leave. You will need passport information one day before your trip if you check in online.
Thanks for your suggestion. I know Passport Canada has urgent service, but it means that I need to back to my former living city to seek for a guarantee's signature in a very short time. Because of my moving, all my friends in the current living city will have known me for two years until the end of August.

Yap, my case is a little complex. Any one has similar experience....?

itguy78

Star Member
Dec 1, 2014
Windsor, ON
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
good2011 said:
Thanks for your suggestion. I know Passport Canada has urgent service, but it means that I need to back to my former living city to seek for a guarantee's signature in a very short time. Because of my moving, all my friends in the current living city will have known me for two years until the end of August.

Yap, my case is a little complex. Any one has similar experience....?
You can mail the guarantor's form and have them mail it back (if there's enough time for that) -- a friend of mine in a similar situation did that and had no issues.

good2011

Jan 5, 2015
itguy78 said:
You can mail the guarantor's form and have them mail it back (if there's enough time for that) -- a friend of mine in a similar situation did that and had no issues.
Thanks. I just heard someone had a trip on the day after his oath ceremony years ago. He had no choice but traveled with his old passport from a visa-exempt country and returned to Canada with his citizenship certificate. He printed out the information on cic website to prove he doesn't need a visa to enter Canada and show it to the airline. Then he entered Canada through Toronto airport and the immigration officer let him enter with the passport and certificate. The only thing different is that he brought his son with him, who was born in Canada and doesn't have dual nationality.

AmandaHsu

Jan 10, 2011
Nanaimo
Category........
Visa Office......
Vegreville
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
01/Nov/2010
Doc's Request.
None
AOR Received.
20/Dec/2010
File Transfer...
None
Med's Done....
10/Aug/2010
LANDED..........
02/Apr/2012
if you have decided to come back with your original country's passport, then I suggest you that do not show your Canada citizen card to the airplane company when you check in, maybe do not even let them know. One of my friend's friend, was in a similar situation as you are now. So he bought the ticket, and then show his citizen card during check in. (we're from a visa exempt country but the workers will still ask some questions, to be sure the passenger will not have big issue when they arrive Canada). Later, the airplane company refused the friend to board because "they have got the official announcement from Canada that airplane companies should be sure that all passengers have eligible documents to entry Canada before offering the boarding pass, otherwise, the company will be punished. Under the list, it shows that Canadian cannot go back by citizen card." So, that friend was unable to board, and he called the embassy because he "thought" that rule is not right. He even wrote complain mail to CBSA but the only answer was "apply the passport."

I personally suggest you to apply passport, instead of having so many headaches. Sorry about my writing, hope it will not confuse you, good luck.